Who's grown critical mass outdoors?

Sash

I have one growing indoors now and its 7" tall & is ready to be transplanted outdoors.The distance between each node is approxamately 3/4ths an inch which leads me to believe she wont be very tall.It sexed as female at the 6th node.I was thinking about supercropping her which is the only technique i have yet to try on a plant.Any thought on it from someone that has experience with this strain? What does it respond well to & what does it dislike?

does well outdoors

I grew CM outdoors for several years back in the 90s. The strain did very well, robust grower that was topped several times. Got very bushy but this kept it under 6 feet. The buds can be quite heavy so staking may be needed as several large plants did split the stem and fell over near harvest. CM did get pretty chunky and can/is mold prone in humid/wet environments. Flowers pretty fast after the solstice, all phenos were ready by mid to late september in NH. Nice dark lush green, almost blue leaves during veg and stinky purple hued goodness at harvest. Was very popular smoke, often asked for specifically.

yield

What was your yield on average with every plant? will it handle being fed at a high ppm and do you need give it a high dose of plant food?,Im probly either gunna supercrop it or fim it.

cm

I have one growing indoors now and its 7" tall & is ready to be transplanted outdoors.The distance between each node is approxamately 3/4ths an inch which leads me to believe she wont be very tall.It sexed as female at the 6th node.I was thinking about supercropping her which is the only technique i have yet to try on a plant.Any thought on it from someone that has experience with this strain? What does it respond well to & what does it dislike?
cm is an f1hybrid that displays great vigor,the yield will be dependent on the looseness of your medium,big roots make giants with this strain.also depends on your locality...it is a bunch of indica so it will really adapt,only weak ness is its a drought resistant hybrid so it willllll mold if left out late or in a wetter climate....in a nutshell give it room under and above ground,supercrop or top....it is the biggest commercial yielder in the world so its up to your ability, also the reason its seems small is the apical dominance it wants to grow the main top,ive seen bud from this strain that was the size of a womens basketball,:cool: also i used to recommend products that have helped me get these yields but some people dont like this or that product or are hack know it alls with bland weed,so seek carbs and some other supplements and you can really get that monsta crop

Last edited:
Sysadmin and India Sherpa thanks for responding and Sash thanks for posting this question. I too am growing CM and was wondering about the same things. My internodal spacing is very close and I was worried it might just play out very fast and stay small but now it looks like I might have the monsters that I am hoping for...

Thnx.. CD

cm

Sysadmin and India Sherpa thanks for responding and Sash thanks for posting this question. I too am growing CM and was wondering about the same things. My internodal spacing is very close and I was worried it might just play out very fast and stay small but now it looks like I might have the monsters that I am hoping for...

Thnx.. CD
i have seen a friend get 2 and a half lbs dry from cm...indoors...1000w with a light mover 1 plant supercropped, i dont see why you couldnt get a lb plus at any effort esp outside....but it will mold if left out or in wet regions ...in most of usa it comes down before oct outside...plus it isnt afraid of nutes at all,im running mine with just the slightest tip burn and there pumpin!!!!!!!!and smell of nice skunk already.....it isnt the old big bud, truly has been reworked.....very skunky .....cant wait for fall

moldy

Careful at harvest time. The CM buds can mold indoors. I couldn't imagine outside.

it will mold outside also

Careful at harvest time. The CM buds can mold indoors. I couldn't imagine outside.
ive had cm mold outside this spring ,its been a rainy one and a few have succomed, i know that in fall it will also,easily if its wet and cold....i think its the tightest growth pattern ive dealt with....very slight nodal length....big yielder just take it on time ...keep in mind that if a strain is drought resistant...it prob will mold in those wet climates.....indicas and mostly indicas come from hilly well drained ...dryish environs....:D

I've not run her before, but I've got CM and quite a few of her offspring, c skunk ect. In the hoop this year. I probably would never consider running her in the NW here if I was doing standard outdoor (at least not without eagle20) for the mold issues. But an early light dep last year showed me I've little fear of PM ec while finishing in July/August here, so I thought why not put a few massive producers in there. Seeing around 5lbs a plant with 'normal' strains, got me wondering what some real weight producers might do in there? I'll post pics when they get cranking!

ive had cm mold outside this spring ,its been a rainy one and a few have succomed, i know that in fall it will also,easily if its wet and cold....i think its the tightest growth pattern ive dealt with....very slight nodal length....big yielder just take it on time ...keep in mind that if a strain is drought resistant...it prob will mold in those wet climates.....indicas and mostly indicas come from hilly well drained ...dryish environs....:D

yaya!

you hit that nail right on the head india sherpa!All those ("indigenous---""Indica""---)types hail from over the hills!!!!

Spit at me if I'm wrong,but throughout the late sixties and onto the seventies northern growers' seed supply was pretty much limited to what they were smoking/what was being smuggled.Some were adventurous enough to wander on down to places like Mexico,Guatemala etc.etc.(for botanical exploit),but like I said,the cultivars grown throughout the fifties/sixties were mostly of southern descent(for us western folk).Also,there were many southeast Asian varieties at play,but cannabis folkore states that European cultivators were most masterful with these and had better access to seed from said sources.The Americas and the Asias(mid orient) are of course not one and the same...When the wanton folk/surfers/new age thinkers came home from their travels,they brought with them some "hash",...,many of them having seen "new" things,...,also they brought with them seed!
Now don't get me wrong;the european and american growers of the sixties didn't throw out their beloved south american and subtropical oriental cultivars due to new and more practical subspecies invading the then grow scene....no no no!Today,we still grow and smoke from sacred bloodlines!(both of "ancient" european and american "hippie era" cultivars!)

Many of these middle eastern/north oriental cultivars when in hybrid settings allowed for some stubborn plants to reach full fruition!Also, exciting hybrids kept pure within middle eastern varieties were loved and strained into what we smoke today! (for the sake and love of hash!)

From what came from those who traveled along the Khyber pass back then,...,we can now smoke and grow shit that's uber-potent up here!But at a price...these plants come from what would seem to a foreigner such as moi an unforgiving climate!

Betterhaff posted an interesting piece which pondered on the scarcity of male pollen donors in high altitude plant groups...an interesting read and a must for all lovers of the Kush! The influence on pure (sativa) genotypes when adapting,when becoming "indigenous" to a new climate is something that is both a revelation and an enigma...

thank you MNS for offering to the world the Critical Mass!

Last edited:
I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had some CM going outside as well. It's insane!! There is a huge difference between the ones I have in buckets vs the one in the ground. I dont want to muck up this particular thread however I am going to post some bush photos and get into a little more detail in my CM outdoor thread right now. Thanks for reading and I always welcome comments and pointers:):)

I grew some outside last year as well. Was not impressed in the least. The CM strains for me were my lowest yielding strains. I had them surrounded by some c99, a couple landrace strains, Violator Kush, Holy Grail plus some more.

Soil had a very nice profile and I had dug down deep turning the soil to make sure roots had good structure.
Those plants grew as very branchy Sativas. Had branches going everywhere so I spent a lot of time pruning them. Even the 30 or so clones were all the same of course. These were feminized Critical Mass from Mr Nice. I read where they said that another place got em and feminized them but they came packaged as Mr Nice.
I got almost 1/4 lb of the big one. Which was around 10 foot tall. Buds were kinda tight and I did battle some mold issues but was able to salvage most all of it. The 99's right next to em all got aver a pound each. The landrace sativas were around 1.5 lbs. clones off the 99's which were chest high were 1/4 lbs each. The yield on the critical mass was about the same as the Kush. The CM did have a nice smoke though. I have some more growing in a veg tent and they are branchy as he'll. never seen one get so branchy like that.
I got quite a bit more gear coming from and Nice that I won in auctions so I'm gonna try that as I don't trust some companies. Think I got those from harbors maybe??? Could be another place though I'd have to look. But I'm Leary on ordering more of em.

Hey GTS

If your seeds didnt come in a foil breeder pack or a straw from shantibaba then they are probably fake.

AFAIK MNS doesnt do fem critical mass. Dinafem does critical plus if memory serves correctly.

When I ran her indoors I got 737gm of 600w in 58 days.

Bummer dude but at least you did ok off the others.

Better luck next time :D

I was thinking the same thing when Mr. Greenthumbskunk said he grew feminized Critical Mass. Puzzler for sure.

Yes that is why I said that I read that Mr Nice does not do Feminized in my post. Which concluded to me they were not legit seeds. They came in pack that you had to tear open.
I can't remember where exactly I got them from but my autocorrect changed my post from Herbies head shop. I have gotten beans from Several sources though.

At the moment I have a mother and about 100 clones off her. If you wanted a plant that was most excellent at producing clones it is this one. You could take off a 100 every month off a 3 ft plant. Lol. Decent smoke, low yielding does not produce good bud structure though. Tremendous amount of pruning to be done.

What it is truly I don't know. But donkey **** sized colas!??? Nope not this plant.

When I ran my CM they tended to be smaller denser buds rather than donkey dicks...

They also flowered a little faster than I expected.

If shes not putting out enough kick that bitch to the curb!!!

Never grown it myself but Shark Shock looks to be a pretty hefty plant and with the widow genes should have a little more kick than CM.

These buds were no bigger than thumb size. Of course I took off all the pop corn buds off while flowering.
The potency is not to bad, almost as good as the c99. Not as good as the violator Kush as it was the most potent variety I had this year.

A very nice one I had that I kept a cut off of was called Wonder Woman. Now she grew donkey dick colas. I topped her twice, put her out late and she got about chest high and produced baseball bat colas that were real tight and hard. I lost half that plant in its critical stage as we had rain day after day. Ever side branch had colas a foot long. I think this plant has major major potential. Smoke is a favorite as well. I have some white widow that I popped 1 bean of but it got destroyed in a strong storm along with a whole bunch more. Luckily I had some more beauties in a more friendly environment from wind but not enough sun in late Oct.

Well I was to busy harvesting her to post pics last year, but my CM did very well.
She was around 7 1/2' under 3 layers of netting. Finished with light dep.
I chased my tail with chosen organic lineup and poor soil I was forced to use but she still threw 4.2 for me, medium density (due to NUTES). She was a real baasti despite being a random seed, not a pheno hunt. I can only imagine the weight she COULD throw for me if I dialed her in well.
I top 1 time. No super cropping, just daily spreading out under netting, when it outgrows that net, she gets another. Give those branches some support, they do NOT want to commit suicide by growing to big a bud and breaking. If they sense that support they will pack weight on.
(I could never put enough stakes into one of those 100 gallon pots to support the branches, can't think like indoors here, they are just to big outdoors when done right)

I have grown it outdoors. Supercroping is a great idea as it will keep it low. It will be stinky so make sure you are safe. Easy to grow outdoors, a real pleasure for sure. You will have bud for 2 years off of one plant. Water is little and feed little in the beginning but in flower it will require copious amounts of both. Any questions please PM me.

Last edited:
Back