Washing the buds

hash hound

I used Doc Buds method of High Brix kit for my last grow which relies on a lot of foliar feeding. It was advised to wash the buds before hanging them to dry.

Google him for more info on high brix. 420mag

Anyway, I was skeptical about trying it. After reading a few others using his method and a few that weren't that had washed their buds, I figured I would give it a try last grow.

It is fantastic. The best tasting stuff I have grown so far.

in a 5 gal bucket add 1/4 cup lemon juice and a 1/2 cup baking soda.
wash the buds in it for about 30-45 seconds. Not to rough, just swish them and a little up and down action.

then into a first rinse bucket for about 30 seconds, then second rinse bucket for another 30 seconds. Shake off the water and hang to dry.

It was supposed to add a few days to the drying, but the weather last week was very low humidity and the buds were ready for the cans after 3 days hanging.

It's worth a try guys

Other guys that give me samples of weed to try, I can hardly smoke cause they taste so bad and don't know what they are doing.

All I smoke is my own grown which I thought tastes superb next to others.

Now what I thought was superb is only so-so compared to the washed bud.

Sounds a bit weird to me, washing the buds like that. Takes guts to dunk all your harvest. I'd be scared of messing up the resin :(

Water Curing . . .

Think that's crazy, somewhere "jetson" I think it was posted about 'Water Curing' . . . i'm gonna have to try it sometime . . . but it does seem counter to what most people do.

why over-complicate things? I foliar feed alot too but stop at about the third week of flower. seems like another gimmick, is this guy trying to sell a product?

Food for thought here, terpenes are shared in nature, a lemon has the same terpenes as you smell in a lemon haze so to speak. So if you do a wash you can match terpene for terpene, essentials of lemon, blueberry, peppers ect in your wash will not only add to terpene exchange, but make end product more medicinal with added terpenes/flavonoids. The trichromes are oil based, they will hold p of in water for a bit.
Even a indoor grow has contaminates on it guys. You lose your BODY WEIGHT in dead cells thru apoptosis every year. Wanna know where most of them go? Airborne in your house with the rest of the microscopic dust. Ie landing on your plants.
Brix blasters work by causing the intermodal length to shorten, less stretch and tighter denser buds. Don't knock something till ya try it! Lol

I was very very skeptical about it, but Doc hasn't steered me wrong yet. Nor did he this time.

It doesn't wash of any trichomes unless you really agitate a lot of buds together making them rub each other. I only did 2 or 3 branches at a time.

The lemon leaves no taste at all on the buds. And the baking soda leaves no residue.

You wash all your other produce is Doc's theory, so why not bud.

Rain doesn't hurt trichomes, and neither does washing. Bornon is right, lot of dust etc on a plant. Ever notice how much dust is on a houseplant?

I have done water cure once, it is way different. You soak the buds for 24 hrs, rinse and repeat for 6 or seven days. I didn't like that out come as much.

Just try a few branches and see for your self. So far everyone that has done it says they will never smoke unwashed buds again.

Doc isn't trying to sell any wash. He even mentioned you could use the produce wash they have in stores, but that is like $6 or more a bottle. A big bottle of lemon juice is under $3 and baking soda under $2 and you get a lot more out of it than one bottle of wash would give you.

He does however sell a high brix grow kit ($70) that includes soil amendments, liquid ferts, foliar sprays etc. It's for use with a bale of Promix HP specifically designed for him by some lab. Guys are having some outstanding results so far using the kit. His plants are covered with resin. Some of the frostiest I see online.

You wash all your other produce is Doc's theory, so why not bud.

Rain doesn't hurt trichomes, and neither does washing. Bornon is right, lot of dust etc on a plant. Ever notice how much dust is on a houseplant?

I have done water cure once, it is way different. You soak the buds for 24 hrs, rinse and repeat for 6 or seven days. I didn't like that out come as much.

Just try a few branches and see for your self. So far everyone that has done it says they will never smoke unwashed buds again.

Doc isn't trying to sell any wash. He even mentioned you could use the produce wash they have in stores, but that is like $6 or more a bottle. A big bottle of lemon juice is under $3 and baking soda under $2 and you get a lot more out of it than one bottle of wash would give you.

He does however sell a high brix grow kit ($70) that includes soil amendments, liquid ferts, foliar sprays etc. It's for use with a bale of Promix HP specifically designed for him by some lab. Guys are having some outstanding results so far using the kit. His plants are covered with resin. Some of the frostiest I see online.

I don't know about doc's theory you rinse your produce cause they have pesticides and chemical fertilizer's mostly plus dust and people handling it. But most weed growers don't spray chemicals on their buds I wouldn't even do that if it really did make the bud taste better cause that quick rinse aint getting all the chemicals out as you've been spraying the buds the whole way through so some is going to get stuck in the buds. Also your gonna have a greater risk of bud mold from getting the buds wet.

not to mention the guys just trying to make a buck and I can't imagine the guy having the frostiest buds online plus $70 for nute's almost sounds expensive unless you get enough for a few grows. I think he's selling snake oil myself but I guess I'll check him out anyway doubt I'll spend my money their though.

I just checked out one of his threads about it and I got to say I'm not overly impressed check out L33t's grows not sure what nutes he uses but he's got at least just as nice bud shots and check out some of the older monthly contests here and one bud shot I saw here a while back of black widow was just amazing. But if it aint broke don't fix it, I'd do some more experimenting myself cause my buds taste pretty good but my first few attempts weren't too spectacular also some plants just taste awesome but you get some not so great even in the same strain.

Last edited:
A few of the test buds before harvest didn't taste that great. I don't know if it was from the foliar sprays or not, but after the wash they tasted outstanding! And also they kick but!

$70 for his kit isn't really that expensive compared to a few other kits I have seen. Depending on the size of the pots and number of plants, his kit treats a 3.8 qft bale of Promix HP. I grew 4 in 7 gl fabric pots and used about 2/3 of the soil and kit. I think he says it is good for 6-8 plants depending on the size pot you use. $10-15 a piece for top notch quality plant ain't bad.

Almost every quart of grow, bloom, etc I used to use was in the $20 +/- range. Toss in some micro, some bloom boosters or what ever else and you can easily hit the $70 mark.

I have been following Doc Bud since early on in my growing. Starting with hempy with OC+. Doesn't get any more economical and simple than to grow with OC+. A $15 bottle of that will grow you about 50+ plants no problem. OC+ won me plant of the month last May.

Then I followed him to organics, teas, mineralized soils, and each time I got better and better results. That's why I gave his kit a shot. And he backs the kit 100%. He wasn't happy with the results I had and sent me another kit for free. Does that sound like a snake oil salesman?

Believe me I was very skeptical about washing them, especially the bud rot issue, which I battle on every grow to some extent.

My plants were dry and ready for the tins after just 3 days of hanging without any problem.

His "high brix" method is worth looking into. I don't think I can post links to other forums in here, but all I can tell you is to google Doc Bud high brix and there are 3 or 4 of his journals dealing with his method. And a few by others trying it out, including mine. (my same name if you are interested in my journal) He also instructed high brix method before his kit with easily obtainable products.

He says the high brix leads to healthier plants, less bugs,less mold, etc.

I had a lot of gnats the grow before I used his kit. While using his kit I had 0 gnats and one very little spot of bud rot.

I actually had a tough time with his kit, mainly because I started cooking the soil in the dead of winter and it needs warmer weather to cook the soil properly.

It wasn't one of my text book grows, but still turned out better than any pot in the area.

I never meant to start a thread preaching his kit or defending his methods, I am mainly passing on the info on the bud washing. Try it for yourself and see.

the last time I washed my buds, it was when I left a baggie in my jeans pocket in high school.

I read about water curing in the past but couldn't bring myself dumping my buds in liquid.

I tried the water cure once, it worked well for making the high about 15% stronger, probably more,

Alas the dried product tasted like crap or dirty chocolate sock kind'a smell and taste, takes all the weight out of a bud too''

I left the same cold tap water in a bowl with buds in it for 7 days straight, by the 5&6th day id see a thin yellow film of fat on the top, all the excess crap coming out of the buds being water cured, these tasted better than if the water is changed for fresh water every day till the seven days were up,

don't think id ever wash buds, unless I wanted to change the flavour if it does this?:eek:

Big difference in a quick wash and a water cure guys. I can't stand water cured weed, dry brown, flavorless. Does not take into account terpenes, flavonoids ect. Just thc content. But a quick wash? If there is a mold threat, add a tiny bit of green cure to dip!

Back