Tiny seeds,do they always grow into runts???

cbdfan it sounds like those tiny seeds gave u sativa pheno. That's basically the norm ie small seeds sativas, large beans indicas. YJ

I remember reading before that haze beans were really tiny, but I've also read that a lot of Colombian (and Thai) beans were large. I remember the Oaxacan weed I got in Texas in the early 1980s had fairly large seeds. I don't remember noticing really tiny seeds in any o fthe weed I smoked. As I work my way through a 30-50 year old stash of hippy seeds, I'm most interested in the tiny ones. My working assumption is that these are all sativa seeds.

small-med-large_seeds.jpg

Any insight into seed morphology as a distinguishing characteristic of sativa strains that were commercially available in the 1970-1990 timeframe?

Last edited:
The Trainwreck Bx seeds I had were incredibly uniform and small. A few grew VERY large plants. All the Thai seeds from (small) sticks were tiny and extreme sativa. Though seeds from "Buddha stick" were all on the huge side. BTW, the Buddha sticks were pretty lame compared to the little Thai sticks.

One place size does not seem to matter

no. massive sativas often come from very small seeds.

This is quite true! The smallest seeds that I have are tiny Zacatecas Purple/Big Sur Holy seeds. They grow into giant bushy plants 12 feet tall. Many landrace sativas have small seeds, and they grow into 12+ foot monsters.

Worst runt that I have grown was a J1 clone that I grew last year. Dunno how large the seeds were though. Some rather smallish indicas that I have grown were from huge seeds.

Last edited:
I have noticed on the haze variety’s at least from te packs I have of critical haze mango haze and Nevs sk they are really small. The critical haze grew massive with probably the best vigor I have ever seen on a plant. Once the rootball was formed they went crazy in growth. Now from my personal crosses I have my golden lemons keeper from DNA that I hit with pollen from my g13xBlack widow male and noticed differently size seeds but once germinated both size seeds grew the same size. My critical haze plant that got hit with g13xBW pollen also produced small seeds where my g13xBW x g13xBW made rather large seeds.

Yeah size don't really matter unless maybe you got a pack of Shark Shock with them big ass seeds and one was the size of an Early Queen seed I may question it but I would still give it a chance it could be the best plant in the pack.

Some strains have tiny seeds some have larger seeds comes down to calyx size and also those tiny seeds turn into normal sized and vigor plants usually. I would think though if all others are larger and one is smaller it may in that case.

Back