The World of Crypto

And why only solar panels while parabolic mirrors can generate steam to flow through a generator?

Solel_SolarField_thumb.JPG

Free energy!

Ramblings of a Betting Man

I'd bet all these ramblings are true, but if not, enough are true that I would come out ahead. I'd bet.

Lead/Acid batteries are far less toxic than are EV batteries and they don't burn down(normally). And the EV batteries have what mineral inside it? Cobalt. And from where does CA get cobalt? Congo. And who digs it up? Some miners are little kids who are asphyxiated in mine collapses, etc.

You can't generate electricity with electricity. Extra electricity can't be stored in barrels or in storage tanks like oil. It must be kept moving in the grid and no extra is allowed, and less than optimum is also not allowed, both will cause problems. Explained in it's simplest terms, the grid requires a constant balance between energy produced and energy consumed. The initial balance is through grid inertia which is created by the rotating inertia of synchronized spinning turbines at 60hz (or 50hz depending on country) which are regulated to be able to maintain that 60hz to a fraction of a percent. This is why you can't really add or subtract from the grid as it stands. The 60hz is also the '60 cycle hum' you hear from your guitar amp or stereo! At this point in time, to generate the massive amounts of electricity/energy the world consumes/needs, wind, solar and hydro just don't cut it. I understand they are a finite resource, but we need fossil fuels. Period.

CA has 30,000,000 registered cars. About 5,000,000 are EV. In order for California to have sufficient electricity to power 25,000,000 more EVs, it will need to build @17 new, full size nuclear plants the size of the nuclear plants the state has been shutting down, or their equivalent. Nobody wants nuclear in their back yard, so that won't work right now, either.

Solar Power - one of the huge problems with Solar Power is called, in layman's terms - night time. We don't yet have the technology to change this ;) People like to re-charge their cars at night. While Solar Power may have created electricity during the day, that power can't be stored in the transformer on the pole outside your house for later use. To get enough power from Solar to power 25,000,000 more EV's, about 380X more land will need to be covered with Solar Panels. In CA, this will fuck up a lot of near extinct Desert Tortoises, etc

Wind Power - What if the wind ain't blowing? I know what I'm betting on that day. Wind Turbine blades last 20-25 years, they take about 1,000 years to decompose. Many landfills won't take them. There is much talk about recycling the blades but when you say prove it - crickets! "Researchers at National Renewable Energy Laboratory have created a more recyclable blade prototype using a “material technology (that) is actively being researched at a large scale and is likely to be adopted by industry,” Robynne Murray, a mechanical engineering researcher at the laboratory, told USA TODAY in an email.' Lets look at these words and phrases - "more recyclable", "being researched', "likely to be adopted'. In others words - they got nothing. To produce the electricity for CA to run 25,000,000 more cars they need about 421X times more land than already used for Wind Turbines. UGLY.

Parabolic Mirrors were mentioned. The have the same problems as Solar Power(night time) plus even more problems. They take more space, they can't be mounted on rooftops, and they contain molten salt which can, and does freeze. Not good for northern US, Canada, etc.

The Wonderful World of Crypto - "It takes an estimated 1,449 kilowatt hours (kWh) of energy to mine a single bitcoin. That's the same amount of energy an average U.S. household consumes in approximately 13 years." That's a lot energy use and destruction of the environment for a single fucking coin that you or I will never see.

Now all this horseshit about 'green' is good for the enviroment, good for you and me, do you really think the powers that be are really doing this for you and me and the environment? Don't these Leaders for climate change fly to these meeting in Jets? Do a little research on your Congress folks and your state and local elected officials. Not the ones elected yesterday. The ones been around awhile, the Power Players. See who has money in batteries, electricity, EV's, mining, Solar, Wind, companies that make the parts needed for all this. Invest what they are investing in. It won't be good for the environment, or the animals, or the birds, or even the exploited children of the world that help make all this possible. It will be damn good for your wallet though! These people have the inside edge. They are wealthy. If you want to be successful, do what successful people do! Some members of Congress are extremely active when it comes to buying and selling stocks. Representative Michael McCaul (R-Texas) made more than 1,600 transactions worth as much as $176 million in 2022. So what’s the secret? Which stocks do members of Congress hold in their personal portfolios? Here is a list of the top stocks purchased by Congress in 2022.....Tesla....(down 70% in the last year :))...Exxon Mobil...Dominion Energy...Duke Energy...Chevron...BP..ConocoPhillips...Consolidated Edison...Exelon...Shell..Valero Energy...I can't give you all my tips for free, so I will give you one last tip: "Keep your enemies close, and keep your elected officials even closer"!

"I’d rather have the currency in my fat hand even if fiat". - musashi
"I don't want my brother coming out of there with just his dick in his hand" - Sonny Corleone

Longball

[Edit] In 2022 there were only 5 Congressmen invested in Crypto. This tells you at this time Crypto is not a good place to have your money in America - too risky, they are not passing laws favorable to it(them) at this moment. However, the energy needed to produce a Crypto coin IS a good investment. See above. You may not get a coin but you will still use energy trying. Energy is a good solid investment, today. May be different tomorrow lol

Last edited:
I hear you Longball! Them batteries are modern slavery like rubber and cotton in past times. Yet we need a solution to store the energy.
Hydrogen fuel seems also very promising but it takes a lot of energy to produce it.
Converting sea water to fresh water would also help with drought.
Our politicians are not heading into the right direction with their economy. Future will judge them badly.

A flow battery can be a solution for some households. A Tesla Powerwall is neat too though. But it is lithium. I think you can build a flow battery for the same price, maybe cheaper.

Screenshot_20230502-104629_Firefox.jpg

PSB-flow-battery.jpg

Last edited:
“Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.” — Thomas Sowell
“It’s all about the Benjamins.” — Puff Daddy

Both statements are, sadly, true. However, fossil fuels, being a finite resource, will need to be replaced. Get your Benjamins ready! Then there is the wee bit about the Sun being halfway thru it's life cycle. That one will be a harder workaround. That is why I am growing now - to have plenty in stock for then! :p

Longball

Last edited:
The problem is slavery. They want to empty our pockets and do not want us to be independent with food, pharmaceuticals, energy and water.

Anyone familair with an earthship? I'd like to build one when I inherit money, but it's illegal in my country. It's complete off grid and even the waste water is used so only little drops go into the sewage system.

Long-winded but an interesting read.

Planet of the Apes, Soylent Green, 28 Days Later, Terminator, Matrix. Many scenarios possible.
I traded a pocket knife once when I was in a jam in Asia.
A little of everything. Diversification is key.

mu

SOYLENT GREEN was very Corona.

Only Crypto currencies that are designed to work as an effective exchange of datavalue i know of are IOTA and KASPA...some people swear Monero is the real deal.
BTC is definitely not anonymous and definitely played out...onky 2 much invested in it, blockchain is a failure by design.

Bitcoin hits $45,374! Gold over $2000. 2024 gonna be interesting.
This thread began at roughly $20 000 for Bitcoin , back in 2022. A couple of years later it is now at $65 000. It'll go down again, and then back up, on and on and on... In theory it will settle and won't fluctuate as much, as it is starting to do now (believe it or not). It's been around for roughly 15 years now, you could pick some up for just pennies in the beginning. It is presently a 2.5 Trillion dollar market. Oh, and then there's the ETFs

@longball , the US is one of the worlds biggest holders of cryptocurrencies, although it did lose many projects developed within to countries that happen to be friendlier to the industry, while congress tries to get its act together on the subject. Crypto regulation a hot topic towards the elections and doesn't seem to be bipartisan. And yes, Bitcoin mining does use a lot of energy (as does any mining) but "supposedly" it uses less than half the energy than the banking sector. I don't know how they measure that, but it is definitely much less energy. Bitcoin was designed to be a banking system without the middleman to take his cut, and all you need is the internet. There are many around the globe who don't have assess to banking which can be a huge disadvantage in life. I love dollar bills in my hand too, but it's value keeps going down as they keep adding on with quantative easing. And when the shit hits the fan, dollar bills won't be able to feed mouths anymore than gold. I'm sure many of us here will be able to make great trades with our stockpiles of Mr Nice weed though

I wish the auction site hadn't given up so soon on using crypto for payments. The available payment options it has weren't working for me, and don't like the idea of mailing cash (I probably shouldn't worry about it that much). So I missed out on some beans I really wanted to work with. Just as well I guess, I have enough seeds to last me a few lifetimes.

Oh yeah, and to BigSur, thanks for mentioning the Coinbase stock, it's given my RRSPs a nice boost

In 2017ish I was working freelance and could have gotten paid in BC. I think it was @ 3k
Life just keeps on keeping on
/steve

Back