Testing for Herms

BuzzardsBay

Two questions.

1. How do you rigorously test a female you want to “self” to ensure she won’t herm?

2. Is herm something that some plants will never do? In other words is genetic? Will some females never herm...
That is until they are induced to herm through hormones?

Take a few cuttings from the selected plant and grow her in different environments.
Indoor, outdoor, greenhouse.
If you are serious you will kill several

Tie a wire around one of her dominant branches to cause stress and see if she produces a male flower on that branch.
Feed her little and over water a bit
Add heat
To test a plant to its limits you will need to kill several
Over clock the indoor plants( flower her until she is dead) and inspect for male flowers.
Many cannabis can and will show male flowers at this time. Natural reaction
If the plant you have selected is from Shantibaba seeds then you can select with confidence since he has tested and selected too many to count. And removed inferior plants from the breeding groups.
Ive grown his seed for two decades now and I’ve never found a a bad or intersexed plant.
And I’ve made too many hybrids from his combination of of genetics to remember. I grow them every year with very few issues indoors or outdoors.
👍

Last edited:
Take a few cuttings from the selected plant and grow her in different environments.
Indoor, outdoor, greenhouse.
If you are serious you will kill several

Tie a wire around one of her dominant branches to cause stress and see if she produces a male flower on that branch.
Feed her little and over water a bit
Add heat
To test a plant to its limits you will need to kill several
Over clock the indoor plants( flower her until she is dead) and inspect for male flowers.
Many cannabis can and will show male flowers at this time. Natural reaction
If the plant you have selected is from Shantibaba seeds then you can select with confidence since he has tested and selected too many to count. And removed inferior plants from the breeding groups.
Ive grown his seed for two decades now and I’ve never found a a bad or intersexed plant.
And I’ve made too many hybrids from his combination of of genetics to remember. I grow them every year with very few issues indoors or outdoors.
👍
Ok so do you consider a few male flowers on lower branches hermying? Or only when you get male flowers within the buds .

Well for one thing the term Hermying is inaccurate and misleading
All cannabis can be forced to show both flowers
Period

Now the question is will it be a full blown intersexed plant or does it only do this when forced withstress or chemicals..
The only way I know is thru trial and error
I have seen a few varieties that for some unknown reason produce both flowers
When this happens
I destroy all plants seeds and any hybrid seed made with it.
This has been rare for me since I deal with it harshly and do not tolerate it in my gardens.
Don’t know if that helps you answer the question but it’s the best I can do to answer it.

stress it
cut it in bloom with a fan in his face

if the plant no do some male part is a good girl

Back