Terpenoids

axiom

2022 COE Winner
Terpenoids in Cannabis has come to the fore front of industry growers.
The aromas of top shelf cannabis has always been a prime indicator of what to expect even before experiencing the smoke.
My question is to anyone who may know.

What terpenoids are associated with Skunk?

The pungent sweet stinky intoxicating aroma that was prevalent in the late 80’s
85-95 . Then vanished from the scene.
All welcome to chime in.
✌️

Sadly there is little regarding terpenes and flavinoids in Cannabis, as well as limited information on the cannabinoids. Some terpenes double as cannabinoids and some cannabinoids double as terpenoids. There are over 20,000 known terpenes in plants, and about 120 found in Cannabis. The latest number of different cannabinoids known in Cannabis is now over 144.

As for terps in skunk weed, high myrcene strains tend to reek the most for me. Myrcene is also the most common terpene in Cannabis. But skunk weed has a complex broad spectrum terpene profile of myrcene, alpha-hunulene, alpha-pinene, limonene, beta-caryophyllene, linolool, terpinolene, alpha-bisabiolol, and several others in lesser amounts. Its a complex blend like the blended flavor of chocolate. The Skunk #1 that I grew came out smelling like strawberry. Skunk #1 is listed as related to a strain called 'Strawberry' in the Galaxy profile list on Phylos.

Here is a list of 15 common terps in Cannabis and their effects/aromas. https://cannacon.org/15-terpenes-cannabis-explained/

Thank you Big Sur
I had an M9 skunk back in 87-90 that had a very distinct ripe banana under tone blended in the ripe flower aroma. Heat as in body heat in a baggie would make the flower reek of pungent sweet skunk aroma that would bleed thru a baggie.
That skunk profile is quite complex
I’ll know the smell though if I ever find it again.
Working with some skunk and master kush hybrids currently. Catpiss and some kush type citrus aromas expected. Narcotic effect for pain management is the project goal.
SB mentioned to me that 15% will be long flowering plants needed to be done indoors under lights. These select few will be the focus plants that should carry that lovely MK flavor and aroma. I’ll use these for a future seed crop with the selected skunks.
I owe a old friend a great thanks for starting me on this journey long ago so I’ll tag his name on the finished product as my way of showing tribute to my long gone friend.
Funny how things work out if you live long enough. I was in the process of this same project in the early 90’s but fate and a fire changed that.
“Onward thru the fog”
✌️

I had heard that in the past, they trained dogs to key in on that profile. I understand that’s why they tried to breed the skunk out of skunk. Onward brah!

🤙Mu

Making essential oil(terpene extraction) from Cannabis flowers is something we have been doing since 1998 when we had a contract in Switzerland with the Body Shop in USA to supply Cannabis flower essential oil without any THC for their hemp brand of cosmetics. Due to issues in 2003 Switzerland changed tact and we had to cease THC strains been grown. The thing most growers understand is the better you a grow a strain the higher the ratio of cannabinoids present on the plant. This also usually means the higher the concentration of essential oils or terpenes. A good grower and a bad grower using the identical clone of a plant can make very different flowers and thus the variability of the values can fluctuate incredibly in both Cannabinoid and terpenoid profiles.
Most companies use exaggerated profile values of well grown plants to represent their values but when growers do the seeds they sell , well it is nothing like what is quoted initially from the original company...so we advise you to only do a terpene profile once you find a plant which is desired, and then you will know what ratio the individual terpenes should fall between.
Aromatherapy has been around a lot of years and used like a medical treatment in many cases of health issues...so reviewing aroma therapeutic sites to understand which terpene affects what issue is possibly more reliable than listening to the Cannabis industry talk about terpenes.

all the best Sb

Terpenoids in Cannabis has come to the fore front of industry growers.
The aromas of top shelf cannabis has always been a prime indicator of what to expect even before experiencing the smoke.
My question is to anyone who may know.

What terpenoids are associated with Skunk?

The pungent sweet stinky intoxicating aroma that was prevalent in the late 80’s
85-95 . Then vanished from the scene.
All welcome to chime in.

Terps are listed on 360 analytic.

CM is rich in terps.

SSH.

< 0.01% Linalool
< 0.01% Caryophyllene oxide
0.01% Myrcene
< 0.01% beta-Pinene
< 0.01% Limonene
< 0.01% Terpinolene
< 0.01% alpha-Pinene
0.15% Humulene
0.54% Caryophyllene
0.70% TERPENE-TOTAL

Mango haze

< 0.01% Linalool
0.02% Myrcene
< 0.01% beta-Pinene
< 0.01% Limonene
< 0.01% Terpinolene
< 0.01% alpha-Pinene
< 0.01% Humulene
0.08% Caryophyllene
0.10% TERPENE-TOTAL

Shark shock

< 0.01% Linalool

0.22% Myrcene

< 0.01% beta-Pinene

< 0.01% Limonene

< 0.01% Terpinolene

0.37% alpha-Pinene

1.71% Humulene

0.20% Caryophyllene

2.50% TERPENE-TOTAL

Black widow

< 0.01% Linalool

0.15% Myrcene

< 0.01% beta-Pinene

< 0.01% Limonene

< 0.01% Terpinolene

0.51% alpha-Pinene

1.32% Humulene

0.83% Caryophyllene

2.81% TERPENE-TOTAL

Nev's Haze

< 0.01% Linalool
1.07% Myrcene
< 0.01% beta-Pinene
< 0.01% Limonene
3.68% Terpinolene
2.35% alpha-Pinene
< 0.01% Humulene
< 0.01% Caryophyllene
7.10% TERPENE-TOTAL

Medicine man

< 0.01% Linalool

0.21% Myrcene

< 0.01% beta-Pinene

< 0.01% Limonene

< 0.01% Terpinolene

< 0.01% alpha-Pinene

< 0.01% Humulene

0.08% Caryophyllene

0.29% TERPENE-TOTAL

U2

< 0.01% Linalool

< 0.01% Myrcene

< 0.01% beta-Pinene

< 0.01% Limonene

< 0.01% Terpinolene

< 0.01% alpha-Pinene

0.48% Humulene

1.01% Caryophyllene

1.49% TERPENE-TOTAL

Ortega

< 0.01% Linalool
1.22% Myrcene
< 0.01% beta-Pinene
< 0.01% Limonene
< 0.01% Terpinolene
< 0.01% alpha-Pinene
< 0.01% Humulene
0.51% Caryophyllene
1.73% TERPENE-TOTAL

Critical mass

< 0.01% Linalool

0.08% Myrcene

< 0.01% beta-Pinene

< 0.01% Limonene

0.50% Terpinolene

0.34% alpha-Pinene

0.33% Humulene

0.46% Caryophyllene

1.71% TERPENE-TOTAL

G13WIDOW

2.35% Linalool

0.38% Caryophyllene oxide

0.94% Myrcene

< 0.01% beta-Pinene

< 0.01% Limonene

< 0.01% Terpinolene

< 0.01% alpha-Pinene

0.66% Humulene

0.69% Caryophyllene

5.02% TERPENE-TOTAL

Critical haze

< 0.01% Linalool
< 0.01% Myrcene
< 0.01% beta-Pinene
< 0.01% Limonene
0.59% Terpinolene
< 0.01% alpha-Pinene
0.63% Humulene
1.09% Caryophyllene
2.31% TERPENE-TOTAL

Well, add to this conversation that many terpene profiles change as a plant matures. Case in point, California Orange (AKA Cali-O) reaches the highest intensity orange terpenes well before it peaks in THC. Hence it was debated as to when to harvest: for early orange terps, or later high THC when the orange terps fall off? The strain seems to have lost favor over time due to the fall off in terps with the rise of THC. You could not get both.

Also to add to Shanti's example about good and bad growers, the same thing can happen with the exact same clone grown by seasoned veteran growers in different microclimates. The variables between them being growing outdoors vs indoors, or in greenhouses, or even indoors under different types of light and heat levels. Or outdoors at variable elevation. Or in high vs low humidity, or in variable night temps. As such, terpenes present and ripen into terpenoids at different times and under different conditions. They also waft off in high heat and in direct sun. Humidity also affects this, comparing Florida grown vs SoCal grown in the same temps. Plants respond differently in these variables in climate. Even if growing the same exact clones. My brother grows the same clones that I grow and give him, and he grows them at a low valley floor elevation near here than in the Cascades where I am. He typically gets 2x the growth and 2x the resulting weed from the exact same clones. The only difference is that his day and night temps are on average 10 degrees F more than me in summer months. Old rule of thumb from Horticulture 110 class at university: every 10 degrees rise in temp from 50 to 100 degrees = 2x the growth. In any plant, not just Cannabis. Cannabis could go to 110 degrees on that scale though. They are immune to high heat, but they stretch like mad over 95 deg. F. As in STAND BACK! We grew a lot of 20 foot sativa plants in Carmel Valley back in the 1970s. All summer there the heat was in the high 90s to low 100s. It was also very dry, but the nights were cool in the 70s. Night temps can also make a difference, as plants go dormant with temps below 60 F. at night here when I am. At my brother's they are more like 70, so his plants keep respiring overnight. Again, same clones, different environment and hence different results. Same experience growers.

And to go one further than these, there are differences created by harvesting, drying and curing. Harvest time can make a huge difference, harvesting earlier as opposed to later. In the high and in the flavor. Sun drying and heat curing can cause chemical breakdown and damages, terpene profile changes into terpenoids, and cause the maturation and even loss by wafting off of the more volatile terpenes leaving heavier terpenes behind. For that reason some really shitty brick weed from Oaxaca, Mexico that I got in the 1970s comes out completely different when grown here and cured long and cool. The crappy taste in the brick weed in the 1970s from Mexico can (and does for me anyway) become a strong and interesting mint dominant flavor in an otherwise mild weed THC wise. All day smoke. Also a long and slow cure at 60 deg. F and 50% humidity can make for a far better result than a fast sun dry and high heat cure (and then bricked) at high temps in my experience. I also tend to harvest my plants earlier than later, unless I am growing for seed and they are not ripe yet. I prefer a head high from sativas, rather than couch lock stones from indicas though. That is a harvest time variable that is highly subjective. But harvest time may also be influenced like my Cali-O example above, where you way want more intense orange terps harvesting earlier, or more THC when harvesting later with a drop in terps. Me, I go for the early orange terps. Which is best is subjective.

Last edited:
I think the best way to get plants to express their maximum terpene content is to activate the SAR response, while also having the maximum amount of enzymatic action happening in the soil.

Sounds interesting, any tips on how to go about doing it?
yes, so many. beating plants with bamboo sticks, makes them "think" animals are about and they need to express the funk to repel or attract.

making compost with ground up bugs you would otherwise feed to lizards, and feeding that to the plants.

using aloe vera juice in the weekly feed. using coconut water in the feed,

bigger pots for happier roots. deeper pots for seed plants.

Lactic Acid Bacteria or EM1.

stinging nettle compost or ferment.

EPSOM SALTS because like half the terpenes we love have sulfur as an important part of the chemical chain.

paramagnetic rocks or rock dusts, this facilitates some chemical reactions that I am not articulate, or educated enough to describe.

having a large enough pot that you can dedicate an extra 5-10 gallons of space for worm bros. worms are one of the few animals on the planet that's gut truly multiplies what comes out. because its basically a long gizzard, bacteria, nematodes, protists, and some fungi use it as a breeding or feeding ground. the worm actually does less work than its symbiotes and non food organisms it ingests.

using a leaf blower to assault the plants with air atleast 3 times a week. like what my outside is like.

Fermented Fruit Juice made from pleasing smelling fruits. the LABS in the FFJ are making fancy hormones and enzymes w/ the happy smelling fruit, so that when a root hair bursts for rhizophagy, the microbes have less work to do to make stuff to bring back before the wound covers. and then the plant can use the hormones and enzymes instead of making them, allowing it to do other cellular processes instead of "make this enzyme or hormone" for growth, the thing the plant does is make secondary metabolites. oils, terpenes, esters, flavanoids, anthocyanins, carotenoids, etc.

Herb Ferments and compost additives. Mints, thymes, lavenders, sages, dill, garlic. if your plant can make the terpene, you should use other plants that make the terpene as part of the food regimen.

I am a soft believer in nutritive cycle hypothesis. and will use plants and fruits at all stages of life to make compost and ferment. freshly popped seedling up to woody end of season garden cleaning. but I feed from all the different aged materials via composting or fermenting at all phases of plant growth as I truly believe the plant is capable of telling its internal and external biome what to do, hw to do it, and when.

If you grow plants like The 88G13HP hybrids, dont be afraid to let it be hot and dry in the room, but with good, cool air flow from outside the room on a timer. think like a desert. desert plants like to desert, jungle plants like to jungle. it sounds dumb, but it should make sense.

Fish or plant protein hydrolysate. this is food for like half the soil biology. lots of amino acids.

Malted Barley . all the enzymes and amino acids.

Tribus, EM1, Mammoth Microbes, Max Microbes, Mycorhizae blends if you are not comfortable with self cultured bacteria and mycorhizzae, and canna's organic nutrients are basically ferments, NPK industries makes enzyme, amino acid, and soy hydrolysate powders

yes, so many. beating plants with bamboo sticks, makes them "think" animals are about and they need to express the funk to repel or attract.

making compost with ground up bugs you would otherwise feed to lizards, and feeding that to the plants.

EPSOM SALTS because like half the terpenes we love have sulfur as an important part of the chemical chain.

paramagnetic rocks or rock dusts, this facilitates some chemical reactions that I am not articulate, or educated enough to describe.

having a large enough pot that you can dedicate an extra 5-10 gallons of space for worm bros. worms are one of the few animals on the planet that's gut truly multiplies what comes out. because its basically a long gizzard, bacteria, nematodes, protists, and some fungi use it as a breeding or feeding ground. the worm actually does less work than its symbiotes and non food organisms it ingests.

using a leaf blower to assault the plants with air atleast 3 times a week. like what my outside is like.

Fermented Fruit Juice made from pleasing smelling fruits. the LABS in the FFJ are making fancy hormones and enzymes w/ the happy smelling fruit, so that when a root hair bursts for rhizophagy, the microbes have less work to do to make stuff to bring back before the wound covers. and then the plant can use the hormones and enzymes instead of making them, allowing it to do other cellular processes instead of "make this enzyme or hormone" for growth, the thing the plant does is make secondary metabolites. oils, terpenes, esters, flavanoids, anthocyanins, carotenoids, etc.

Herb Ferments and compost additives. Mints, thymes, lavenders, sages, dill, garlic. if your plant can make the terpene, you should use other plants that make the terpene as part of the food regimen.

I am a soft believer in nutritive cycle hypothesis. and will use plants and fruits at all stages of life to make compost and ferment. freshly popped seedling up to woody end of season garden cleaning. but I feed from all the different aged materials via composting or fermenting at all phases of plant growth as I truly believe the plant is capable of telling its internal and external biome what to do, hw to do it, and when.

If you grow plants like The 88G13HP hybrids, dont be afraid to let it be hot and dry in the room, but with good, cool air flow from outside the room on a timer. think like a desert. desert plants like to desert, jungle plants like to jungle. it sounds dumb, but it should make sense.

Fish or plant protein hydrolysate. this is food for like half the soil biology. lots of amino acids.

Tribus, EM1, Mammoth Microbes, Max Microbes, Mycorhizae blends if you are not comfortable with self cultured bacteria and mycorhizzae, and canna's organic nutrients are basically ferments, NPK industries makes enzyme, amino acid, and soy hydrolysate powders
Awesome thanks!
How do you go about using the fermented fruit juice? Do you just water it in our would you dilute?

Awesome thanks!
How do you go about using the fermented fruit juice? Do you just water it in our would you dilute?
Your welcome!!!
1-5ml/gallon for all ferment fertilizers Is what I found works best! the more poor your compost/soil the better they work! Read the Korean natural farming PDF, and the archived recipes from the unconventional farmer's website, and Watch Chris Trump's videos on how to make the ferments and collections of IMO. Indigenous Micro Organisms, DIY Mycorhizzae innoculant.

Your welcome!!!
1-5ml/gallon for all ferment fertilizers Is what I found works best! the more poor your compost/soil the better they work! Read the Korean natural farming PDF, and the archived recipes from the unconventional farmer's website, and Watch Chris Trump's videos on how to make the ferments and collections of IMO. Indigenous Micro Organisms, DIY Mycorhizzae innoculant.
Awesome!
Very much appreciated

That's actually one of the listed benefits from insect frass. "Tells the plant it's being invaded" whilst also discouraging other insects.

Your welcome!!!
Thanks again MImedpatient,
I collected my first batch of LAB and plan on collecting some IMO next.
Really appreciate you passing this info along. Very interesting stuff.
4C105B89-3EE1-4475-BFC1-5B06A22E061D.jpeg

Back