SSH, Spice, Mango Haze, Early Skunk Haze, Early Queen x Afghan Haze - 2021

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the positive vibes! Got a chance to take a hike this weekend. Weather has started to turn a little cool and me and the dog had a great time visiting the girls.

Here is kind of a group shot from the top of the plot. Awful crowded now, hardly enough room to walk between them. This is from way above looking down, trying to get them all in the shot.
sept11_group_shot.jpg

I think the Spice #2 in the front of this pic is going to finish first. Just all around good looking plant and really in the best spot.

The Early Pearly Skunk Haze next to it looks to be not far behind and is looking to be a keeper. The smell she has is really unique to me. It is a 50% haze hybrid so can get a lot of different stuff from that and the Early Pearl might make it something that I'm just not really used to. No Skunk at all really that I smell so far. Pretty excited to see how she turns out.

The Mango is straight laughing at me, we've been dropping like 10 minutes of sunlight a day for a month and are at 12.5 hours of sunlight and 11.5 of night time and I think she still hasn't started flowering yet, really only pre-flowers showing. The solstice was 82 days ago! Every other plant out there flowered at around the same time like a month ago, along with pretty much every plant I've ever grown out here. I've never had a plant not really even show flowering this late. And I know that they take long to flower so that is contributing, but I grew this same clone in the tent with the rest and you could see it at least start to flower at the same time as the rest. Sad thing is it is really healthy a looks great! I'm done talking about her, though, will post her harvest shot in December. I knew she was a gamble =D

The Early Haze 4 you can see on the top right of this pic decided to off itself. On the real I think it has root rot or something, just all around general death and stems are showing dark discoloration like bruising. I feed pretty lightly and it has gotten the same as the rest so I don't think it has had anything to do with that. Could be a lot of stuff I guess, but going to let her finish since lower branches are still healthy. Honestly a little worried that a few of the plants might be showing early signs of this same issue, the soft darker brown/gray tissue on some stems and those same tops showing signs of strong nute deficiency/death while the rest of the plant is healthy as can be. I make the outdoor soil a little heavy since I can't water them, lots of compost/worm castings and soil from the spot. It is naturally pretty heavy clay soil here and it is something you have to worry about in soils like that that don't naturally drain all that well. Just have to give it up to nature now and see how it turns out.
stem_issuesjpg.jpg

The ones that fell over before are doing OK now, kind of. The Early Haze #3 that was taken out is a strange one, it's all propped back up but all it's branches are really thin and aren't even close to supporting their own weight, and they've hardly started budding. It's a big healthy looking plant, just really thin branches. The Spice #1 next to it that fell over is doing OK, but still worried that what I did won't be enough and it will fall back over, going to see if I can't add more support. The SSH in the middle of the group is doing alright, nothing special really, but you can still see strange leaf growth pattern I mentioned above where for most big fan leaves they are half discolored white and they claw in one direction.

This is the Early Haze #5, which is also looking like a keeper. She's got the structure I'm looking for, long skinny sativa buds, and is looking to finish on time. She is the only plant down there praying like this and you can tell she's just loving life.
sept_11_early_haze_5_praying.jpg

I'm not even sure which one this is, I think it is also Early Haze 5, but I really liked this shot. It was about 8AM and we were all hanging out waking up in the middle of the woods,
sept_11_2021_early_haze5.jpg

Here is a shot of the lone Early Pearly Skunk x Haze #2 out in it's own spot. She got a really bad lean going on and cracked the main stalk. Found half of her on the ground. I did my best to keep her up. She ended up huge, really hit the flowering growth spurt right. She's pretty much on her own until harvest time, godspeed.
sept8_epsh_post_op3.jpg

Still have a little less than 2 months to go, but things are getting spicy. Thanks for following along.

What a great write-up. Thank you for that depth. I feel like I just took that walk through the woods with y’all. It’s been too long my friend.
Shame about the fungus/root fuckery, I always tend to forget about the war being waged underground that’s contributing to what I see up top. Glad it’s only effecting some of the patch(s).
Love that MH, I’ll come see you in Dec ;)
🍻

So I unexpectedly got a chance to make rounds today. All the girls in the main plot are showing slight all around nute deficiency, nothing too drastic, but I haven't been able to feed them as much as I wanted. Have also determined that the hill their on is an issue, in that any thing I top dress with has been getting washed away. I really tried to work in the round today, but not much I can do, the hill is about 40 degrees and pretty steep. I usually top dress about every 2 weeks with dry organic nutes. They've all kind of stalled because we haven't had any rain in 2 weeks, either. I can't haul it, just need too much for them all. Even carrying pre-mixed nutes there is a little tricky because it's got to be pretty concentrated, but the soil is bone dry, so I can't really be putting anything too heavy on them right now. They'll be alright, but not as much attention as I'd like to be able to give them.

On the flip side, the surgery on the EPSxHaze #2 worked and she is looking lovely, slight P deficiency with purple showing in the flowers, but had bone meal on me since I knew she was going to need it and hoping that takes care of itself.

Until next time =D

thought about water crystals? would involve an initial water hauling but could get you through dry spells in future.

Reactions: Rza
Hey All,

I've used water crystals in the past, but they are kind of meh. Not really sure if they really help all that much and are a mess to work with. Might need to revisit the idea for next year, though =D

Everything is moving along, just not really as fast as I'd like. None of them look close to finish and will all be pushing to the end.

Found this little dude having lunch, just let him do his thing. Pretty cool looking caterpillar, he had a heck of a walk to get this far up the plant and out on the top this flower, wonder what it is gonna turn into?
munchies.jpg

Here's a pic from the bottom of the spot looking up. Can only really see a few of them in the pic. The middle is 'Lil Droopy', Early Haze 3, the one that can't even come close to keep it's side branches up. The one on the right is Early Haze 5 that is probably looking the best of them all. Spice 1 is on the left and is pretty big. If you remember, the Spice 1 is the one that fell over a few weeks back and took out the Early Haze 3 with it, so I'm pretty happy with how they've both recovered and turned out.oct2_main_bottom_of_hill.jpg

Going to have to pray for good weather late in the season. Have at least 3 weeks until first chop as far as I can tell, which is pretty late for here. Only one that will obviously not finish is the Mango Haze, rest are going to be close or just a little early but still worth harvesting.

Thanks for following along, will catch you all later.

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty steep hill! I just love the way marijuana looks growing in the wild! :love: Thanks, Rza!
Please do not let the caterpillar poop on your plant - it may help promote bud rot. Usually we pick the
caterpillar off and put it between 2 slices of bread. We pass it around and everyone takes a bite. Whoever
bites the caterpillar gets a 'free night night on the town'!

Longball

Hi guys,

Just couldn't bring myself to move the caterpillar, growing in harmony with nature and all that =D

I am at 39N latitude, can't go much past November 1 unless super lucky.

Pretty good weather lately, still staying warm and not too wet but expecting some rain this weekend. Was able to visit the girls in the field and they are doing well. This is SSH, MH, and Early Haze. The SSH is real bushy and gonna be heavy yielder if the bud rot stays off her. The Mango Haze is a beautiful plant, just finished its flowering growth spurt, not going to finish and shades the SSH for a lot of the day so might take her down or attempt to move her indoors to a barn to try and finish. There is an Early Haze on the right and is looking lovely, perfect cross of haze and early finisher and should be done soon.
Inkedoct_9_censored_resized_tagged2.jpg

This is one of the branches of the Early Haze, perfect for outdoors around here, no mold issues, long skinny sativa buds that are going to finish on time.
oct_9_earlyhaze3.jpg

Thanks for following along, will check in again on the solo Early Pearl Skunk Haze later today I hope.

Hey Guys,

Sorry for being late, but you all know how it is around harvest time just too much stuff to do and not enough time to do it.

Took down the first plants on the 23rd of October, was the two Spice plants and the SSH at the main plot. I kind of messed up the drying of these plants, I knew they were kind of late to harvest but didn't realize they would dry out as quickly as they did after harvest. I only got about half of it all trimmed up before I had to chalk the rest to hash. I've grown SSH a few times and have to admit this just wasn't that great of a grow of it and not that great of a pheno to represent it. I've been smoking on the Spice for the last 2 days and it is a very interesting smoke. Not really sure how to describe it, but the name Spice is kind of fitting. Not too heavy but when you break it up it has a smell like chai tea or something. Both of the Spice plants were at the point they were 50-75% amber trichomes. Classic sativa buzz, super duper clean and ZERO tiredness or lethargy unless you smoke a ton. Haven't tried the SSH, yet, but just not the best plant I've ever grown can already tell. I chopped them down before I remembered to take pics, so this bundle shot is about all I got, all organic sativa funk that went the distance, hope you all can smell this pic =D
spice_oct28_budle_o_harvest_funk.jpg

I took down Early Haze 2 "Lil Droopy" and Early Haze 5 on Oct 31. Lil Droopy was not like anything I've ever grown, definitely the most Hazy thing I've ever seen. Incredibly thin stalks and branches that would never have supported itself and I'm not talking from the huge nugs on it, just super skinny and weak stems. It almost has the cat piss to it, kind of acrid like you want to pull away from it when you get a real whiff, but not all the way there. Only got about 2 ounces worth of smoke off of her, most of it was too small to bother trimming and went to hash pile. Still curing haven't had a chance to actually smoke it yet, but it was at 70% amber and I'm kind of afraid of this one.
early_haze_2_lil_droopy_plant.jpg
early_haze_2_lil_droopy.jpg

Early Haze 5 was the winner this year in my eye. Classic build, bud structure is immaculate just lightly stacked calyxes not dense at all. Been trimming her up for the last few days and her smell is choice. I have grown this strain a few times outdoors around here and it is the greatest strain in the world for it. Long skinny airy sativa buds that don't rot and finish and have the greatest smell to them in the whole world once cured.
early_haze5_oct31_harvest_day.jpg

The Early Haze at the farm turned out really well, too, although not quite as good as #5. She got some good pics, though.
early_haze_farm_oct27.jpg

early_haze_farm_oct27_2.jpg

Here are some Early Haze flowers drying before the trim. This was all dry organic nutes, only plain water, under the big halide, and grown out of love and respect with no intention of selling any of it. Super light, not dense at all, once dried and cured you can just grab a nug and crush it directly in the bowl and when it's done there is almost no ash at all.
early_haze_farm_pretrim_dream.jpg

Here is the Mango just so that I can report on her. Almost positive she died last night, had 25F degree weather for about 5 hours, only getting worse from here on out. She is about 20% cloudy, no amber, 80% clear trichomes. Harvesting her now is kind of pointless, she never turned the corner to actually pack on the terpenes/cannabinoids, will just have that funny smell to her like you harvested her way too early. These pics are from 2 days ago, looks lovely, guess I'll check on her sometime just to see what happened...
mango_haze_in_the_sun.jpg

mango_haze_oct31_not_ready.jpg

The Early Pearly Skunk Haze that was out solo got harvested, too, but no pics of her while she was alive. I forgot my phone when I hauled out for harvest and there was no way I was walking back an hour to get it! She was by far the largest plant of them all, probably close a pound on her alone. She had cracked branches all over the place and looked Frankenstein by the time I got her down, I had 4 different stakes trying to keep her up. All around good plant, nothing too special to report except minimal mold due to the haze influence on the bud structure. Not quite as long and lanky as Early Haze, can definitely see the Early Pearly Skunk influence in this one more. Went the full distance until Oct 31, too. Here is a pic of a branch of her on the floor post harvest, trim queue is way backed up and she has a few days before she's up for her haircut.
epskhaze_postharvest.jpg

Last edited:
And for the final pic I have to give tribute to the best goddamn grow partner the world has ever known. Came with me every single time to all 3 plots, never complained once, never tried to do some dumb shit to the plants without running it by me first, didn't get all weird and greedy when harvest time came. This plant was a really late clone of early haze I put out like August 1 and was the last plant to harvest yesterday. He was just sitting there next to it waiting patiently, so I snagged this. I love him. HJe got paid in steak for his work this year.

best_grow_partner_2021.jpg

In closing just want thank everyone for following along. We got about 3 pounds of home grown all organic plain water outdoor haze hybrid funk that had no bad vibes going into it, type of stuff you can't buy from a store only way to get it is to do it yourself. Couple garbage bags of trim for hash still to make...

Want to give a shout out to @Shrimp&Grits for his support in this effort. None of this would have happened without your help and our consultations about decisions to make helped get it to successful harvest.

Thanks to @shantibaba for keeping the genetics for this alive, I'm coming for U2 next! Thanks to @musashi for getting the board healthy again and keeping it that way.

Will come back with smoke report when things have had a chance to cure for a bit. As far as recommendations in the MNS catalog for outdoor strains, Early Haze is God tier. Practically mold resistant, Haze hybrid that finishes on time, amazingly unique smoke.

We did it, y'all!

Last edited:
Haha nice to see this finish so well. You did it my friend, you dug the holes, you walked the woods, you shoved it in a trunk and drove home with white knuckles.
Cheers to you.
Superb grow my friend.
It was funny, the other night I came home from work, wife and kids sitting down to a hot dinner. I grabbed a beer and saw I had missed your call earlier so stepped outside on the porch for a minute to tag you back.
Few beers and a nice doobie later I stumbled in to find dinner gone/cleaned and everyone scattered about.
It was great to talk to you for so long, great we still have MNS to talk about.

Hey all,

Just wanted to pop in and give an update. The Mango Haze came in from the cold today on Nov 29, she was truly a champion. I had some time so went to see what happened to her and she was super dead. All her fan leaves were dried up and I wasn't sure what to make of her but her flowers were super frosty and still green for the most part. Looked like she has been curing while still standing for a few weeks. I've never just let a plant go like this unto its own death while still rooted. Moved some stuff around while checking her out and God damn she is smelling like crazy strong fruit, not quite like Mango's but close enough nothing else quite describes it. I brought a garbage bag just in case and harvested her on the spot. Crazy smell going on with this one, still not sure how it is going to pan out. Buds might be hard to trim at this point but if nothing else it will make for some really interesting hash. Doesn't look like much, but she is reeking not like Skunk or anything but like over ripe fruit.
mango_haze_nov_29_2021.jpg

Smoke Report:
Made ice hash of the trim of the Early Haze, Spice and SSH and parts of whole plants that I just didn't get around to trimming, ended up with a freaking lot of it and it's all mixed together. I forgot how much I don't like to trim or really have the time anymore. This harvest season was rough trying to juggle it all with normal life stuff, there was a lot to do. I burnt out after about 2 weeks and still have whole plants that are too dry now and I'll have to use for hash, which isn't bad! I am a huge fan.

I've been smoking blunts of the different strains with that combined bubble hash sprinkled in it, using straight tobacco leaf as the rolling paper. It is kind of interesting because with it so fresh and for the most part all heavy sativa it is a really energetic type high. I'll just pick up the blunt and hit it a few times and put it down again for an hour throughout the day. There is almost no tiredness or real hard crash/brain fog come down as long as you don't go overboard. Have to only hit it 2 or 3 times and wait 20 minutes any more than that and the pass out police going to get your ass. It's been a good time the last few weeks all real positive vibes. Like it is hard to be mad type feeling.

Of the herb they all smoke different. The SSH that I harvested was a clone of the mutant looking one from the indoor grow and it turned out OK, but nothing special, honestly this is like normal smoke. The Early Haze is honestly a little too much to smoke all the time. It just has this straight haze funk to it and I find myself kind of avoiding it unless it is late at night because it gets you twisted, not really smoke for the day time. I've been smoking the Spice the most. It is really good day time smoke, smell is kind of nice and uplifting not so hazey and deep. Still practically no come down. The giant Early Pearly Skunk Haze got trimmed a little late, but still got a few ounces off her, and about half the plant to make hash with. It was an interesting one, I harvested it really late on Nov 1 I think and the flowers were big and trichomes half amber, but they didn't really fill out. Like the Early Haze buds were long and light sativa buds, these are like big fat and airy indica buds, just feel off, they aren't dense at all. Haven't smoked it yet but has a lemony smell to it which I wasn't expecting and I suspect that I might have wanted to let her go even longer even though she was super messed up when I finally took her and way late.

Still have tons of bubble hash to make from trim and plants that I just didn't get around to trimming, including that Mango Haze which I'm really glad turned out into something worth harvesting. Was a neat experiment and I didn't really know how it was going to pan out. The last time I saw here on Nov 1 she didn't smell like this at all, just could tell there wasn't anything really there, yet, and I had way too much other stuff to do I just left her. I'd chalked her up to a lost cause, ran out of days to ripen, but I guess she persisted for a while and died at some point and has been ripening/curing in the woods until now. We had our first super hard frost in the first days of November for a few days in a row. Since then about half nights have been below freezing. Not sure when she kicked the bucket, but when cutting her stalks they were kind of dry and she was really light like hadn't uptaken water in a while. Will let you all know how the hash of her turns out.

Thanks for following along.

Last edited:
Back