SSH, Spice, Mango Haze, Early Skunk Haze, Early Queen x Afghan Haze - 2021

Hi Slabs,

The ESH is the most sativa looking plants I have tired to grow outside around here. Should be interesting to see how they end up, a little worried about them finishing on time. They are going to be very tall and lanky for sure. Spice is just vibing, have 2 different females out of this strain and they are both doing well.

Was able to get a few shots of the outdoor plants today. They haven't moved all that much since I put them out. I checked on them a few days ago and they were hurting for water, but I hadn't hauled any. Today was first big rain since transplanting. They should be fully acclimated and ready to go now. Lost one of them due to something digging it up, replaced it with a Mango Haze clone today.

Pretty sure this is EQxAH #4, I know which ones are in which holes, but after getting back not sure which hole this picture actually is LOL:
may_25_2.jpg

This is SSH #1. I swear I trimmed her up underneath when I put her out but she still bushy as hell. Just gonna let her do her thing:
may_25_indi_sized.jpg

We have some Cicada's going on right now and they are all over everything. Looks like an alien. This is just the shell. They come out of the ground kind of soft and they crawl to something and latch on and molt and leave these skins everywhere. Think this plant is one of the ESH, super sativa looking and praying to finish on time.
cicada_shell_may_27_sized.jpg

The last batch of the clone army. All the original seed plants are outside now somewhere or another. This is the 2nd and 3rd round of clones. 1st round was flowered. 2nd round is going to a few local people through someone I know, hoping to spread some positive vibes. 3rd round will become new mothers until I know what to keep. Very happy with the 300W CMH for veg, the plants seem to really dig it.
clone_army_may_25.jpg

Just grabbed a pic of the flower room, but going to start posting progress of that in the Indoor forum. They all looking good, except the Mango Haze which I nuked like an idiot on accident. Of all the strains in there she accidentally got double nutes when I fed last and basically told me to eat a dick about it. Still alive, but only water for her until harvest, she is pissed.

Thanks for following along homies. The indoor stuff is fun, but I love the outdoor plants.

Last edited:
I think your 630 LED should be enough for a 5x5 grow tent. especially if you chose a brand mimicking the CMH spectrum like gavita, hlg, (insert every brand knocking off those 2 and fluence) some of Shanti's varieites that prefer outdoor do very much enjoy larger pots to finish in. so be ready to deal w/ root binding issues if you get behind and off schedule!

Reactions: Rza
Things moving along at the main plot:
june_19_outdoor_resized.jpg

There are 8 plants in that picture, all went out at the same time except the Mango Haze which went out about 3 weeks later. All loving life, no issues I can see, just need to figure out how to stake up these bushes when they get heavy =D It is only June 19, they have a little over a full month of vegging left before they even start to flower.

This is ESH #5, the super sativa looking one, that has found its stride and blowing up. It is the front right plant in the pic above:
june_19_outdoor_esh5_resized.jpg

All of these plants at this spot have been topped and I did a pretty good job of keeping them uniform since then. They are all pretty bushy with lots of dominant tops.

Thanks for following along, will keep updated.

Last edited:
June 29 update, pic is from the opposite direction and labeled each one. Total of 8 at this spot, have 6 out at other spots, too (4 at one, 1 at one, 1 at another). Tallest is about 5 1/2 feet tall.. Going to add some dry organic fertilizer to these so it can help during flower because these are going to be big and are going to need it in the future. They are all at about 5 foot tall right now.
june_29_labeled.jpg

The SSH has Tobacco Mosaic Virus for sure. It is doing OK now, will have to see how it ends up.
ssh_mosaic.jpg

The SSH has Tobacco Mosaic Virus for sure. It is doing OK now, will have to see how it ends up.
View attachment 52063

I don't think it's tmv, anyway the only way to be sure is to take a test.
In my experience, these leaves show stress due to a plague. My ssh shows variegation when attacked by fungus gnat or (I'm almost sure they are broadmites, by the looking of some leaves) mites. Are the roots of your ssh healthy? No plague? With 1 aspirin per gallon in the irrigation water, the symptoms disappear, but the plague will still be there.
IMG_0831-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg

I don't think it's tmv, anyway the only way to be sure is to take a test.
In my experience, these leaves show stress due to a plague. My ssh shows variegation when attacked by fungus gnat or (I'm almost sure they are broadmites, by the looking of some leaves) mites. Are the roots of your ssh healthy? No plague? With 1 aspirin per gallon in the irrigation water, the symptoms disappear, but the plague will still be there.
View attachment 52066
to be fair, until scoped, cant be sure if broad mites or some other microscopic asshole.

looks like only one half of the leaf is affected, ive had the same with ssh before the whole plant had it. It didnt affected others in the room and could not find any bugs. So i thought it had to be genetic or mosaic virus. The tops got very hairy on this plant but other than that the weed was still very likeable.

Hey all,

About the strange leaf formation, I guess I can't really say exactly what it is, but it has been with this plant since it came out of the seed. Here is a picture of a clone of this plant that is still in the veg room:
ssh_1_mother_unknown.jpg
You can see that the claw growth pattern and leaf discoloration is present on almost all the leaves of the clone of the mother. No other plant in the closet has shown this type of growth. No soil or pest issues that I am aware of. To be honest, I have no idea what this really is. In the past this strange growth pattern was attributed to TMV I think before anyone really knew what it was, but it had started to show up in cannabis. Guess we will see how it does outdoors.

Here is a shot of the other location with 4 plants. These girls get full sun from early in the AM to late evening. I took bad notes when I put them out there and don't really know what strain one of the girls is (I tried to backtrack my other notes to figure it out, but it really could be any of them). They are doing well, MH is a little over 6' tall, all of them got topped again. I added some light organic fertilizer granlues (3-4-4) now hoping they will be available mid flower. They all are leaning down the hill and I just put the stakes in, but haven't actually strapped them up to them, yet.
plot2_july1_labeled_2.jpg

Here is a lone ESH (#2) in a completely different spot, doing well and also topped in an attempt to keep the freaking height down, right now about 5':
esh2_july1_2021_outdoor.jpg

These next two plants are clones of each other. The first is the clone I flowered indoors to find out the sex of the mother. The second picture is the mother outdoors. This one also has some crazy growth mutation or something going on. The calyx-to-leaf ratio is heavily in the leaf favor. I am really interested to see how the outdoor plant ends up, but you can see it is is crazy bushy, the second picture is just one branch of the plant farthest away in the group pic. Of all the plants I grew this season the only two to show any type of strange growth patterns were the two SSH seeds that I had come up. I have no idea on the year or batch, just what was labeled when I put them in soil. (This one also has a Morning Glory vine growing with it before anyone says something about the round leaves they can see).
ssh_3_werido_whole_plant.jpg

The mother of that same plant that has been outdoors for a bit now, just one side branch, insane internode/leaf ratio:
ssh_3_werido_outside_july1_2021.jpg

Will let you know how this all pans out. The MH that is in flower indoors is going laughably long, not feeling good about the 2 clones of it I have outdoors, almost no way they will actually finish on time.

Last edited:
Hello Rza!

I had a plant with leaves like that. Half the leaf was light green that curled in. At first thought it was TMV but a summer of searching the internet and asking every grower I knew what it was there was no answer. The plant was otherwise extremely healthy and finished with outstanding smell, taste and high. Good enough that I put a few jars in the freezer for longer term storage. I don't seem to have a good picture of a lot of leaves like that but there were at least 100. You can see at least one in this picture in the right center. As I did not ask your permission to post a picture in your thread, I will gladly remove it if you like. Just shoot me a PM. Based on my experience with it I don't think it's a problem. Good Luck with it.

Master Kush grown outdoors in upstate New York.

MK.jpg

Longball

Thanks for the good news @longball , hoping it doesn't effect things too much and outdoors she looks really healthy still.

Thanks for stopping by @Shrimp&Grits you old dog! Always glad to see you around.

Just wanted to give an update that I staked up all the girls in the main spot. I also topped them all again in an attempt to keep the height down and to get more smaller colas. It increases yield but mainly to keep the bud rot down to a minimum. I have to fertilize them again soon before the flower stretch with some readily available N, can tell they need some to get through it. There is not much more I can do now except pray to mother nature to be kind to my girls =D I'm going to try to not even go back until mid-September except to fertilize this last time, visiting them between then and now won't change anything.

Will update again when things get interesting, thanks for following along.

Was out to give them a little bit of juice for the flowering stretch. These girls are big already and are about to get bigger. I used 6' bamboo stakes to support them but they are not going to cut it. I will have to come back out to replace them with 8' metal stakes sometime in the near future. If you look close you can see two green 6' stakes holding up this Early Haze (#4), but it is way over those already by a few feet. This is the one with ultra thin leaves that I was worried about finishing but it is pretty quick in the indoor tent and looks really good.

july20_2021_earlyhaze4.jpg

This is a group shot from the top of the hill they are on:
july20_2021_4.jpg

Thanks for following along, guess I will be out there at least one more time to do my best to keep them off these big ladies off the ground.

1/2" rebar ? but it'd be a bear trying to hammer it into the ground probably.....dunno if it'd be a good idea to drag a ladder out to the patch, but no matter what you end up using you'll probably have to.
The plants all look real happy, should be a bounty of bud.

Reactions: Rza
Hey n2ishun,

Funny you mentioned the rebar, because that is what I ended up going with. No plant stakes of significant strength over 6 feet really. Used 10' length 3/8" rebar on the 4 plants in the field.

I went to check on the main spot in the woods and had one fall down the hill (Spice #1) and take the one next to it out with it (Early Haze #3). It was staked up but had a heavy rain lately and I guess it was a little too much to bear. Better to find out now! I was there early this morning to try to do what I could to fix the situation and I think I got it sorted for the most part. This is her after picking her up and leaning up against the hill the other way. I ended up leaving her like this for the most part and staking her up along the top of the hill so that she stays like this hopefully and readjust to growing up from there.
fallen_over.jpg

Here is the top of the Mango, got to admit this one is going to somewhat of an experiment. It has barely started to flower at all, like it just figured it out yesterday or something, and it's Aug 28th. Will just let this one go forever and see what happens, it is gonna get snowed on...
mango_aug_28.jpg

Getting awful junglely in the spot, main issue is going to be keeping them up out of the dirt. Thanks for following along.

Back