SSH, Spice, Mango Haze, Early Skunk Haze, Early Queen x Afghan Haze - 2021

Rza

Hey all,

I just completed an indoor room that I will be using to prep some outdoor plants for this year.

This room looks pretty basic, but it was a ton of work. Started with running a separate breaker box, has one 220v outlet and two 110v outlets.
breaker_box.jpg

Next was the electromechanical timer for the 220v outlet. This was a bigger pain in the ass than I thought it would be since I'm not an electrician and the wiring to get this right was a little beyond me. What made this complicated was wiring in the 220v to the timer and then wiring in a switch in between the timer and the outlet/light. The timer will always be hot and run on whatever it is set to, but there is a switch in the room that can turn the outlet/light off if needed.
electromech_timer_and_240v_outlet.jpg

This is the closet, uses a vertical bare 330watt Ceramic Metal Halide Bulb, got it while it was heating up so the pic came out green :alien:
the_room.jpg

The electronics inside on the left side. From the left, the first is fan speed (either normal or hi speed, it was a feature of the Whisperquiet fan I got for the room), the second is to turn the fan on/off, the third is the 110v outlet, and the last is the 220v outlet/light switch. Stand alone temp/humidity sensor and there is a small room fan plugged in and the heat mat for the seedlings. The ballast is outside the room.
electronics.jpg

This is the top of the closet, the fan is used for bathrooms so it came with the nice grill LOL. It a Panasonic Whisperquiet and it really is barely audible even at the highest speed setting which pulls ~210 CFM and is way more than enough for my room. Installing the fan right was really challenging and involved sliding into some tiny crawlspace a bunch of times, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. It is designed to run 24x7 and the speed is adjustable with a toggle switch on the fan which sets 3 separate low/high CFM levels (low/med/high), and then you can wire up a switch that will control whether it is on low or high speed. The other fan is for room circulation and also doubles as the clamp that holds the light in place.
ventilation.jpg

Here is a shot of the floor which I ended up tiling and that was a cool project. I wanted the floor to be water proof/resistant and had never actually laid tile before, but it was a lot easier than I thought and turned out great. You can see the air intake on the left and it pulls air from either a climate controlled room adjacent to this or straight from outside, depending on outdoor temp/humidity.
tile_floor.jpg

The room is really tall and not very wide. I designed it hoping that plants can be trained to grow along the walls if used for flowering sativas, but mostly it will be used for prepping outdoor plants. Going to use it to find some known females and then clone them for outdoors this year. Each one of those pots has 5 seeds in it, will break them out separately depending on what comes up. Actually I only had 4 SSH seeds so fingers on crossed on those...I have more of all the others so can replant if needed.

Wish me luck! I'm still a little miffed about my spot getting busted last year in the home stretch. Hoping this year can do better, have a solid spot to grow them outdoors so feeling good about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,

I just completed an indoor room that I will be using to prep some outdoor plants for this year. Had a stash to choose from, mostly from @Shrimp&Grits who sends me stuff for birthdays all the time =D. Thanks mate!

This room looks pretty basic, but it was a ton of work. Started with running a separate breaker box, has one 220v outlet and two 110v outlets.
View attachment 49663

Next was the electromechanical timer for the 220v outlet. This was a bigger pain in the ass than I thought it would be since I'm not an electrician and the wiring to get this right was a little beyond me. What made this complicated was wiring in the 220v to the timer and then wiring in a switch in between the timer and the outlet/light. The timer will always be hot and run on whatever it is set to, but there is a switch in the room that can turn the outlet/light off if needed.
View attachment 49664

This is the closet, uses a vertical bare 330watt Ceramic Metal Halide Bulb, got it while it was heating up so the pic came out green :alien:
View attachment 49665

The electronics inside on the left side. From the left, the first is fan speed (either normal or hi speed, it was a feature of the Whisperquiet fan I got for the room), the second is to turn the fan on/off, the third is the 110v outlet, and the last is the 220v outlet/light switch. Stand alone temp/humidity sensor and there is a small room fan plugged in and the heat mat for the seedlings. The ballast is outside the room.
View attachment 49666

This is the top of the closet, the fan is used for bathrooms so it came with the nice grill LOL. It a Panasonic Whisperquiet and it really is barely audible even at the highest speed setting which pulls ~210 CFM and is way more than enough for my room. Installing the fan right was really challenging and involved sliding into some tiny crawlspace a bunch of times, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. It is designed to run 24x7 and the speed is adjustable with a toggle switch on the fan which sets 3 separate low/high CFM levels (low/med/high), and then you can wire up a switch that will control whether it is on low or high speed. The other fan is for room circulation and also doubles as the clamp that holds the light in place.
View attachment 49669

Here is a shot of the floor which I ended up tiling and that was a cool project. I wanted the floor to be water proof/resistant and had never actually laid tile before, but it was a lot easier than I thought and turned out great. You can see the air intake on the left and it pulls air from either a climate controlled room adjacent to this or straight from outside, depending on outdoor temp/humidity.
View attachment 49670

The room is really tall and not very wide. I designed it hoping that plants can be trained to grow along the walls if used for flowering sativas, but mostly it will be used for prepping outdoor plants. Going to use it to find some known females and then clone them for outdoors this year. Each one of those pots has 5 seeds in it, will break them out separately depending on what comes up. Actually I only had 4 SSH seeds so fingers on crossed on those...I have more of all the others so can replant if needed.

Wish me luck! I'm still a little miffed about my spot getting busted last year in the home stretch. Hoping this year can do better, have a solid spot to grow them outdoors so feeling good about it.

I bought the same watering can a few weeks ago at Canadian Tire! Fellow Canadian?

Reactions: Rza
you may want to have a back up horizontal fixture and bulb so you have canopy penetration if indica phenotyps op up pop up. I very much like your tall chamber!

Reactions: Rza
@Rza, so happy you got your cab up and running, I know it’s been in limbo for a hot minute. Very professional set up, well done.

I’m PUMPED for your outdoor season.

Your sweet cab is gonna fill up quick, I can’t wait.

Cheers old buddy, stay safe, have fun. Keep me posted!

Last edited:
Thanks for stopping by everyone. Not much to add just wanted to give a quick update. Had 18 come up:
5 Early Skunk Haze
5 Early Queen x Afg Haze
2 Spice
3 Mango Haze
3 Super Silver Haze

I am happy with this as the first 2 are the ones I am really targeting and expecting to do best around here with the least mold issues and finishing on time. The others might be a little tricky, SSH will probably finish without a problem, Spice might be cutting it, Mango Haze probably not but it could happen with the right pheno and weather. This is at 39N Latitude. Separated them all into their own pots and they have recovered and are doing nicely. Will be taking clones sometime in the next 2 weeks or so.

march_20_2021.jpg

Take it easy!

Hi all, clone update, not so bad if I may say so myself. Of the 18 I was able to clone 16, 2 of them were just too far behind and weren't ready to have one taken, they were SSH #3 and ESH #3. I had 100% success with the 16 clones I took. SSH #1 and #2 were the last to throw roots by a few days and I had pretty much written them off, but they pulled through in the end. Have taken clones of SSH #3 and ESH #3, but they haven't shown roots yet, they will be the last ones needed.

These are the originals, root bound and only getting water until I found out genders, might need to trim them up soon. The 2 SSH clones are in the front, they just got put in soil 3 days ago. The runt on the front right is a mystery, it came out of nowhere in one of the MH pots from reclaimed soil used to top dress so it could be any of them. Didn't want to toss it so giving it a shot at life.
april_11_originals.jpg

14 clones in a holding pattern until they fill out the pots and get over the cloning process before we flower.
april_10_clones.jpg\

Thanks for the good vibes and take it easy.

Thanks for stopping by everyone. Not much to add just wanted to give a quick update. Had 18 come up:
5 Early Skunk Haze
5 Early Queen x Afg Haze
2 Spice
3 Mango Haze
3 Super Silver Haze

I am happy with this as the first 2 are the ones I am really targeting and expecting to do best around here with the least mold issues and finishing on time. The others might be a little tricky, SSH will probably finish without a problem, Spice might be cutting it, Mango Haze probably not but it could happen with the right pheno and weather. This is at 39N Latitude. Separated them all into their own pots and they have recovered and are doing nicely. Will be taking clones sometime in the next 2 weeks or so.

View attachment 50226

Take it easy!
Are you going to grow take the clone for the outside grow?

Hey Buzzards,

That posed a really good question. Original idea was just to clone, force flower, and maybe re-veg (which I am not a big fan of) or just chuck them out. Felt bad about doing that so just set up a spot to hopefully grow the clones out in full indoors. I think this is 17 of the 18 original parent plants, one Early Skunk Haze is far behind the others and not ready. Honestly the soil mix ended up being way too heavy for my liking, I should have waited a day and made it lighter but I've been having trouble finding time lately and this kept getting put off. Also need to apply a layer of mulch which I didn't have at the time. I need to get a bigger light for the indoor grow, but other than that should be good to go. Going to give them a few days to get over the transplant shock and snag a new light and then flip to flower.

Original plants are stretching like mad, it is a jungle in the closet. Desperately need to trim and transplant them up a pot size, but trying to wait until I can find out which are males so I can remove half of them and get some room in the veg closet for that.

Timing is still on track for the most part. Not sure what to do with the thread now that it is both and indoor and outdoor growfest 2021.

Take it easy mates and thanks for following along.

april_25_2021_transpalnt.jpg

Hello Everyone,

Things are moving along, have a list of confirmed females so far:
EQxAH #2, #3, #4, #5
ESH #5
Spice #1, #2
MH #1
Unlabeled bucket because I must have forgot, strongly suspect this is SSH #1

Males:
MH #2, #3
EQxAH #1
ESH #4

Unconfirmed:
SSH #2, #3 (pretty sure these are both male just need a day or so to 100% verify)
ESH #1 (this one was too small to put into flower and isn't doing to well in general)
ESH #2, #3 (these both just got put in the flower tent this morning)

I accidentally snapped ESH #2 during transplant, and just now put in the first ESH #3 clone. That accounts for them all and already it looks like we have at least one female of each strain.

Strange issue I'm having is that I got a 630W LED for the flower tent and it puts off practically no heat all, I almost can't believe it. I have them on 12/12 with their on time at night and we've been having some cold spring nights lately and it has been dropping to about 50F and I don't have a HID to help heat it up. Definitely not ideal, but probably only have to wait a few days for it to heat up outside so not going to bother with getting a heater right now.

Outside is almost done being prepped, timing is still good.

Took a second set of clones about a week ago when I trimmed up the mothers, here is a shot of the closet with the originals and a few of the second set of clones:
mothers_may7_smaller.jpg

Flower room is sleeping right now but I'll get a shot soon. MH #1 is the best looking of the bunch.

Thanks for following, should be putting some out soon.

So found out the final gender last night, ESH #3 is a male... good news is that SSH #3 was actually female so that was a nice surprise.

So the females we ended up with were:
EQxAH #2, #3, #4, #5
ESH #2, #5
Spice #1, #2
SSH #1, #3
MH #1

That is 11 out of the 18 the original that came up, and most importantly it is at least one of each strain I was trying to grow. All the original mothers are actually already outside and planted in the ground except ESH #3, which was the last to show female. One spot is pretty much the middle of a field and it has MH #1 and SSH #3 original mothers, and then a clone of Spice #2 and EQxAH #3. The other spot is new to me this year and was rough to prep for real. It has the other 8 original mothers in it, plus about to put this ESH #3 out soon.

Here is a shot of the flower room like I promised. Still in the early days of it. Scorched the top of MH#1 and Spice #2 because they grew into the light, but they are trained down a bit now and kind of recovering. Everything is very sativa like with long internodes, skinny leaves, and just want to stretch, except the SSH. They are on the exact opposite end of the spectrum and are some of the most squat plants I've ever grown. I had to give them straight up booster seats to get them closer to the light lolol. Got two pics and pretty sure you can tell which is which =D.
flower_room_may19.jpg
eqah_flower_may_19.jpg

ssh_3_flower_may_19.jpg

So found out the final gender last night, ESH #3 is a male... good news is that SSH #3 was actually female so that was a nice surprise.

So the females we ended up with were:
EQxAH #2, #3, #4, #5
ESH #2, #5
Spice #1, #2
SSH #1, #3
MH #1

That is 11 out of the 18 the original that came up, and most importantly it is at least one of each strain I was trying to grow. All the original mothers are actually already outside and planted in the ground except ESH #3, which was the last to show female. One spot is pretty much the middle of a field and it has MH #1 and SSH #3 original mothers, and then a clone of Spice #2 and EQxAH #3. The other spot is new to me this year and was rough to prep for real. It has the other 8 original mothers in it, plus about to put this ESH #3 out soon.

Here is a shot of the flower room like I promised. Still in the early days of it. Scorched the top of MH#1 and Spice #2 because they grew into the light, but they are trained down a bit now and kind of recovering. Everything is very sativa like with long internodes, skinny leaves, and just want to stretch, except the SSH. They are on the exact opposite end of the spectrum and are some of the most squat plants I've ever grown. I had to give them straight up booster seats to get them closer to the light lolol. Got two pics and pretty sure you can tell which is which =D.
View attachment 51371
View attachment 51373

View attachment 51372

Are you flowering those in the same space?
Looks like you got your work planned for a few weeks.

Hey Wisp, yeah will be flowering those 11 in there. Thread is a little complicated because the original post is about the veg closet I setup to keep the mothers in while I flowered their clones to find out gender. I decided to also setup a spot indoors to flower them out all the way and that is being done in a different room with a 5x5 tent. I think I should have enough room in there and the light is a 630W LED which is a little bit too small IMO, but they are all doing OK. They are almost done with their stretch I think, I started them really small, pretty much just wanted to find out gender ASAP. I didn't do that good of a job with keeping canopy height uniform, should have tied down some of the faster ones earlier. I didn't top most of them either, just put the rooted clones in there and let them do their thing.

Also have 3 random's in there. One is the plant that came up out of nowhere and I have no idea what strain it is, could be any of them. I have taken a clone of it and it is now in the flowering room and I call it Red Pot because that was what I transplanted it into, kind of looks like the other Spice to me, but won't be able to tell for a bit. The other 2 are EQxAH that was I super high when I took clones of and don't know which numbers they are, so could turn out to be males, but not actually sure. Didn't want to waste them, though, so tossed them into flower.

Will try to get a shot of the outdoor plants next time I am out. They've been outside for about 5 days now and should be acclimated.

I will keep this thread updated with the outdoor plants from now on and post about the indoor ones in a different thread.

Thanks for following along.

Back