Shanti, will you reveal the genes for your Ortega?

another authority on the ortega has spoken in the most recent issue of skunk magazine with a definition i concur with namely, ortega is an indica hash plant crossed with northern lights #1 by neville and named ortega indica. it is being rereleased by dutch passion. peace-biteme

Released As Ortega#3 Maybe ( But Breeder Steve Claims DP Ortega Is Almost As Pathetic As Barneys Sweetooth - And Thats From Breeder Steve Himself )
Here Are Some I Bought From Ditch Passion In 2007:eek:
Unfortuneatley I Got Knicked And Had The Germinating Seeds Confiscated.
The Ortega Sits Next To The Friesland Ltd Editions ( Or Did )
Indeed It Does Claim NL Heritage.
I Think Chunks Post Is The Most Accurate As I Never Actually Knew That Steve Went To Afghanistan.
Joe

Attachments

• Buying Some Ortega3 Feminised LTD.jpg
    Buying Some Ortega3 Feminised LTD.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Doomed Seeds - Confiscated.jpg
    Doomed Seeds - Confiscated.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Barneys Sweetooth- Pathetic Copy- Bribe a Plenty.jpg
    Barneys Sweetooth- Pathetic Copy- Bribe a Plenty.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 17
  • Dutch Passion-Ortega- NL1xUnknown Indica.jpg
    Dutch Passion-Ortega- NL1xUnknown Indica.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 24
Hi all

i will eventually get around to putting photos and descriptions of all strains but since I am doing most of the writing and seed work ...well the plants take priority. Sorry if you guys want the info before the seed but I do it the other way to be sure that what I write is correct for the seed in question. Checking each batch is some work and that is why other companies just squirt chemicals on selected females and sell ...a lot less work . What I do not understand is why then are feminized seed so expensive?

Anyway was at the Cannatrade in Basel over the weekend and it seems MNS is probably one of the last regular seed companies existing...thanks to most of you keeping it alive. But I think from the responses this year we are on the up and up, which goes against the trend at present. I would think it is due to the fact that as people get more knowledgeable and competent they what real bred seed...and this seems to be you all.So thanks for keeping biodiversity alive.

All the best sb

I would think it is due to the fact that as people get more knowledgeable and competent they what real bred seed...and this seems to be you all.

I think this trend is growing more and more. As ppl realize that alot of these new strains are overhyped garbage more and more ppl will want to back to the real deal orginal oldschool strains.

Not to mention that your the only big name out there cracking these 20+ year old seeds. Everyone else uses the same "new" clones that everyone else uses.

Hopefully with the re-introduction of the old stock the quality bar can be set a few notches higher.

Do you know simon from serious shanti? Did you talk with him at all about femenized seed? I always respected him alot untill I seen the female seeds he came out with this year. Now that just tells me he's either trying to get in the trend, or get some of that femenized seed money.

reply dwc

yes thats right dwc shanti is using original stock from seeds from 87 he hasn't crossed a Ortega to a nl i never said that these were just the same seeds that made nl gona be killer anyway by the sounds of it and was just wondering were the very old seeds sprouted in 2004 by nevil to select the nl if this is the same batch of seeds or has shanti being workin the line since 2004? cant wait to find out peace bro!.................................

dankbig yes ortega would be good for breeding Legends ultimate indica was made using ortega(and sweet 3 i believe). not trying to answer ur questions at all the rest of that is for shanti to answer... just wanted to chime in and let u know my 2 cents bro:D

biteme- yes i was aware about nevs crosses with the ortega... and i was aware dutch passion is sellin the ortegaxnorthernlights...
but ur not sayin shantis selling a ortegaxnorthernlights? because i thot shanti was using some original stock from nev from the late 80s.

yes thats right dwc shanti is using original stock from seeds from 87 he hasn't crossed a Ortega to a nl i never said that these were just the same seeds that made nl gona be killer anyway by the sounds of it and was just wondering were the very old seeds sprouted in 2004 by nevil to select the nl if this is the same batch of seeds or has shanti being workin the line since 2004? cant wait to find out peace bro!.................................

great thread everyone... thanks for the input shanti. I have mine ready to go germin now! I hope to see the new strain database update... if not ill just post it in the strainbase.

anyone who has any links to articles on what chimera was talking about regarding the soviet invasion in afghanistan and or anything else from anyone would be very interesting and appreciated greatly.
dankbig yes ortega would be good for breeding Legends ultimate indica was made using ortega(and sweet 3 i believe). not trying to answer ur questions at all the rest of that is for shanti to answer... just wanted to chime in and let u know my 2 cents bro:D

biteme- yes i was aware about nevs crosses with the ortega... and i was aware dutch passion is sellin the ortegaxnorthernlights...
but ur not sayin shantis selling a ortegaxnorthernlights? because i thot shanti was using some original stock from nev from the late 80s.

great thread everyone... thanks for the input shanti. I have mine ready to go germin now! I hope to see the new strain database update... if not ill just post it in the strainbase.

anyone who has any links to articles on what chimera was talking about regarding the soviet invasion in afghanistan and or anything else from anyone would be very interesting and appreciated greatly.

Hi all

Checking each batch is some work and that is why other companies just squirt chemicals on selected females and sell ...a lot less work . What I do not understand is why then are feminized seed so expensive?

All the best sb

Commercial grow.

No selection, no cloning ... absolutely no need for knowledge or effort.

Hi all

i will eventually get around to putting photos and descriptions of all strains but since I am doing most of the writing and seed work ...well the plants take priority. Sorry if you guys want the info before the seed but I do it the other way to be sure that what I write is correct for the seed in question. Checking each batch is some work and that is why other companies just squirt chemicals on selected females and sell ...a lot less work . What I do not understand is why then are feminized seed so expensive?

Anyway was at the Cannatrade in Basel over the weekend and it seems MNS is probably one of the last regular seed companies existing.
..thanks to most of you keeping it alive. But I think from the responses this year we are on the up and up, which goes against the trend at present. I would think it is due to the fact that as people get more knowledgeable and competent they what real bred seed...and this seems to be you all.So thanks for keeping biodiversity alive.

All the best sb

Hiya shanti i believe its because most are in it for money and money alone and i feel most growers don't know how fem seeds are made or what fem seeds are really about don't relies there over prised and i honestly believe if more were educated about the risk they pose alone would steer away from them and demand breeders offering seeds to offer reg seeds.

I think its a very sad thing that mr nice seed co is the last or one of the last to offer reg seeds shanti i would go as far as to say you are possibly the last of the real breeders left in the commercial market i know there are good growers and people that are capable of breeding still active but most have gone for the easy $ and that is a really sad state to find this community in mate and it has all come about in a very short time it is scary to think were things could be in only a few more years.

Hi all

Anyway was at the Cannatrade in Basel over the weekend and it seems MNS is probably one of the last regular seed companies existing...thanks to most of you keeping it alive. But I think from the responses this year we are on the up and up, which goes against the trend at present. I would think it is due to the fact that as people get more knowledgeable and competent they what real bred seed...and this seems to be you all.So thanks for keeping biodiversity alive.

All the best sb

i will always take preference with a seed company that cares about everyone. producing fem only lies isn't taking everyone into consideration ima. its us that need to thank you shanti for not just following suit with the fem madness. so thank you shanti for offering old lines no one else dose and not making me buy fem only strains of them. :)

Seed extinction

This is why in the next few years I want to have a small stock of Shanti's best strains in the fridge. You never know when the postal service is going to start irradiating all packages again. I want to be that old crazy guy who is cracking 20 year old beans and producing the best shit in town. :D

Money-Greed-Quick Con

I Know Of At Least A Dozen " Seed Makers " Who Started Growing Only A Few Years Ago And Now Are Selling Feminised Beans ( All Bastards ) .
I Must Also Agree It's A Greed Thing . However I Don't Think It's A Combined Effort To Control The Seed Market By Not making ANY Males Available For Personal seed Production
The Last Feminised I Grew Did'nt Grow Very Big Or Knock My Socks Off ( I Actually Thought I Had Fusarium Wilt When They All Went Saggy For A Week)
Anyways , Never Again:mad:
JKP

Attachments

• Welsh OG Kush-002.jpg
    Welsh OG Kush-002.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Welsh Bud-OGK.jpg
    Welsh Bud-OGK.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 9
the large number of fem seed varieties and fem seed companies that have entered the biz the last couple of years make it obvious that there is a market for fems, and it is growing. my experience with fems is limited but those tried were definitely smaller and weaker plants than their cousins grown from unsexed seed. peace-biteme

the only way i see a need for fems is if you live in a State that allows say a small number such as 6plants...tho to be honest i think i'd go with 6 regular and then just keep a good girl to clone and run 5 plants...other than state limits i seed no need for fem seed, maybe those who do outdoor gurella grows could benefit but nothing close to a proven clone momma

Hey Shanti

Im not in ah hurry to know the lineage, im in ah hurry to grow'em!D

About all that work, I can understand from a different point of view.
If I could ever help putting together data or doing some research let me know man. If you need a wing man let me know, I'll grow with you anyday;) LOL But seriously, I'd like to do some work anytime!

-Smoke

Hi all

All the best sb

Breeder Steve made a selection of his version and it was a good plant.

Going to chase up Steve. There's another thread from a year or two ago that spurred me to get in touch and he mentioned working on some new projects. Would love to see some fruit from that.

Have to say i think there are times, places and circumstances for feminized seeds, especially S1s of cut onlys coming in handy especially if you want you mother cut gentics backed up as S1 beans.
But clearly these have to be considered hacks or shortcuts and have to be placed as second or third choices in a given scenario after the regular seeds.
Much of it is also buyers choice. Many people are just lazy consumers and couldnt care less for the ethics behind it,
the ones doing some research (all the info is out there most of it accessible by the comfort of you home via www) will find all they need to kniw whats up.
And i think that fems are so overwhelmingly present is also due to the fact that companies with a monetary approach do more business work, meaning advertisement, talking customers into buying products etc. not caring about others.
While most of the real heads like @shantibaba amongst others are busy with the actual work in the field and not caring or beeing abled to put too much energy in what i consider the chess matrix aka business as usual tgat also can turn into a toxic environment quick and can make people sick of it...

Back