sensi star origins?

Sensi Star, well, I thought it was obvious what it is - mostly northern lights.

If I were to guess, I'd say it's based on Nev's HPxNL1, either that or one of the hybrids Nev made with the HPNL1 as a parent.

Remember, THSeeds used Gravity (which has HPNL1 as a parent) and Nev has stated that the HPNL1 was extremely potent indica.

Yes, the most potent indica Nev encountered,was one he produced:).

hi all,well whatever the genetics are of sensi start we will never know unless luc fills us in.
british-hempire,yes i beleive you are right,i have the exact make up of the B.S.H.W,it has the Zacatecas Purple in it,i am not sure of the others invilved,but i will dig up the exact parentage.
Now,since this topic started on the S.A.G.E,i have done some research,and had a look around the net at sage grows and grow reports,i found one from late last year(should of linked it here),as soon as the pictures started loading up,"HAZE HYBRID" pictures screamed at me! I was looking at what i beleive a NL/haze cross,looking very simular to alot of the NL#5/ haze x skunk or simular type hybrids,the strain was definatly a haze hybrid!
Now,this is really fucking my mind,i can swear to you all,the S.A.G.E seeds i have grown many times looked "NOTHING" like the pictures i was looking at today,nothing like them at all!
Some may remember my grow reports back on Cannabis world of the B.S.H.W,i was in a big discussion with a few people on there,as a few of us were growing it,i think the plants grown were from danbos stock.anyway,we discussed the B.S.H.W to great length,it was originaly known as "TRIP",there was also a lot of discussion about the Z purple,i was known by the handle "canna" in those days.
Anyway,a few people were growing and had grown out the S.A.G.E,as well as one of the guys who where growing out the B.S.H.W. Obviously comparisons were made,and it was widely agreed that the S.A.G.E definatly contained B.S.H.W.
Also,if any of you remember the discussions and thread about the B.S.H.W,i found a purple male,and it became a male of deep intrest,mainly because it was beleived to be a Z purple pheno.anway,i obviously used the male to make more Big sur seed,and also a few hybrids.I made a cross an afghan i received from i think it was The genral G,or something like that,it was an emery seed breeder.
anyway,i handed seeds out and grow reports were made,and again comparisons against the S.A.G.E. There were extreme simularities between the two!
Now in conclusion,i have to say i am truely stumped! i am sorry if i have offended anyone,i am really confused,you guys must think i,m nuts,but i,m telling you the S.A.G.E i grew was a big sur x,but the pictures i looked at today did not look like the strain i grew out many times,maybe i,m just loosing it,anyway guys,thanks for tolerating my bullshit...Sensient

I've grown SAGE on and off for the last 8-10 years and have to agree that the pics TH Seeds uses and the plants I've encountered are not the same. All except one phenotype have been indica dominant and extremely worthy plants. The sativa leaning pheno grew huge and definitely had some sort of haze crossed into it - the smell and flavour were classic haze and the buzz was up, up and away.
As for Sensi Star and SAGE being related through BSHW I honestly can't see it, but I have to acknowledge that I have had SAGE phenos that have been lemony/metallic in taste which is a feature of Sensi Star phenos.
As usual the topic of genetics is a minefield and as only Luc and a few others at Paradise Seeds know it is unlikely to be fully cleared up in a satisfactory manner.
One thing I will say is that every strain I have grown from Paradise Seeds (Nebula, Sugar Babe, Belladonna, Opium, Wappa) has been above average in all regards.
Keep it green,
TGM.

Yes, the most potent indica Nev encountered,was one he produced:).

Right, but we may be dealing with a predecessor to NL. An indica from the 80's came from an indica from the 70's so which one was it? It seems to me that if you were trying to reduce the sativa expression of your indica, you would move North. Seattle is 900 miles North of Big Sur and NL has sativa influence. LOL, OK, I know that's a super long shot to say that Perry is The Indian but I don't know of another indica with herm problems which makes it the most likely to find it's way up the Pacific Coast.

Think about it, all the Chemdog, Bubba, and Princess (C99) origins. These seeds occurred not because the grower neglected to cull a male plant, I say it's the BSHW trait to self in the first week or 2. All the stories sound like the grower was not aware that seeds occurred and were all isolated buds that contained the seeds deep within. It's the same fashion I received my seed and much like Wonkadonk found his:http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/11-seedlings-clones/5610-25-year-old-seattle-indica-germed.html

You guys are always blaming the Thai genetics within the Haze for herm traits in the hybrids but I'm telling you that the NL is just as good a candidate. I did not realize that SS and other indicas y'all mentioned had so many herm problems and varying phenos till y'all mentioned it. Does anybody think that's significant?

I might as well share my speculation that the ZP was a male line that produced female flowers as a result of it being grown in the silver rich soil of the Zacatecas Mountains. The silver could have easily caused the entire population to herm which would promote the earliest pollen donors into it's progeny. IMO, this is where the early selfing trait originated. If it's unique to ZP then we have ourselves a marker which would be accompanied by stability issues. I've studied analysis charts of S1's and the conclusion I draw is that the only trait you can stabilize by selfing is the line's ability to broadcast different pheno's. Selecting away from the herm quality and stabilizing for a desired pheno could very well be the demise of potency (EDIT:where this particular line is at play) so please try to have an open mind when you respond.

Peace.

Last edited:
SIlver ions can't be uptaken by roots so silver in the soil couldn't affect sex expression.

SIlver ions can't be uptaken by roots so silver in the soil couldn't affect sex expression.

Not even if the ground happen to get hit by lightning? What about if the silver oxidizes? Would that make silver oxide and might that affect a plant? I believe you BH, I'm just wondering if what you say means that it's impossible for silver, a byproduct of silver or a byproduct of silver mining could have affected the environment in such a way.

The ZP is definitely unique so what unique circumstance was the cause? It just seems like some environmental factor was at play. I'm not quite ready to accept that breeder selection alone made ZP happen. I'll entertain alien intervention first.;)

If ZP was as good as they say, it's easy to believe that it could be a major player in the gene pool still today. This early selfing trait is the reason a lowly grower as myself can cultivate BSHW 50 years after it's conception so no doubt she has traveled far and wide. We just need to find a couple of spots where she landed and we can start putting the pieces together. The Sensi Star and Northern Lights are looking like good candidates.

Where else might she have landed do ya think?

Peace.

im sorry did you say selfed by lightning hitting silver, wtf, please read you post back and consider what your saying, crazy crazy crazy man,

Hey, Bigwity.

Colloidal Silver is used to herm plant. I don't know how it works.

I guess my crazy talk should have just been to ask if colloidal silver could be produced by nature. Electricity is one way of producing CS is why I said lightning. I can't find anything on the net about it.

Peace.

The silver ion kills roots, I applied colloidal silver to the rootzone and it killed the plant very fast.

I don't know ZP, never seen it or smoked it, no idea if it was great, stupendous, whatever, Mexico was packed with great cultivars no idea if ZP was one of the best or not. There are so many microclimates in Mexico, each had it's own cultivars, without a time machine it's impossible to know what they had exactly, no coincidence however that Mexico is where plant breeding and horticulture first really took off. The Highlands of Oaxaca are where plant breeding was first done with great success - Maize was bred here from wild Teosinte grasses, to me it is no coincidence that one of the very finest and probably the largest yielding of all the landraces comes from the same place. The Spanish brought hemp, the Indians of Oaxaca bred it into Highland Oaxacan Gold, no mean feat imho...

I still strongly doubt Sensi Star has ZP in it there really is very very little sativa in SS, it's probably a mish-mash of genes Nev introduced, as I said before, it could well have the HPNL1 in it, it definitely seems to me, to have a lot of NL influence and a little bit of skunk in there too.

I'd imagine SS contains a Jack type.... and on Silver ions, BH do you think maybe you applied too much if it killed plant... Silver nitrates in STS etc... it blocks ethylene but can promote auxin levels to increase seperate to the ethylene block... though too much is dangerous like BH suggests.. if it was in the soil enough I imagine it could produce some mutants but a bit hard to prove.... I always thought SS was a Jack x shiva type thing....

im sorry did you say selfed by lightning hitting silver, wtf, please read you post back and consider what your saying, crazy crazy crazy man,

not that far fetched lighening strike would certainly stress me out.... anyway....

Alright, so the silver theory looks like a bust. You guys are pretty smart, thanks for your input. Please, hit me up anytime you need a wild theory.:D

I'm just trying to make some gene pool connections and then figure out what questions they answer. I've spent more than a few hours surfing through pics which has been quite inconclusive though it's still the best place to start because in narrows the field. I think this herm issue is the next best discriminating factor since herm issues are unusual for Afghani, Hashplant or Kush indicas. If that's not correct then it's only a matter of suggesting a better discriminating factor and move on to connecting some dots. This self-pollinating issue is probably how anybody who's ever bred with it got it in the first place, right? The reasons "why" it has been used as a breeding parent are already known. I don't know of any hybrid as old and as well documented as BSHW and I don't know of anyplace that has been more influential on modern genetics than the Pacific Coast. BSHW did not get bred and forgotten about. The reason I'm into this hunt is because I theorize that the early self pollinating trait does little harm on it's own but causes late nanners when you cross it to anything. Maybe the secret is to embrace the early self-pollinating trait but you need to know where to find it first. Sensi Star and Northern Lights are good candidates which means that Jesse might have to eradicate nearly all modern cannabis.:p

Peace.

from the test results i have seen
Sensi Star is about 16% thc with very few other cannabinoids.

On the silver to the roots thing, I applied homebrewed CS in a weakened solution (I forget how many PPMs now) and the very next day the plant had the symptoms of fairly advanced root rot - yellowed leaves, necrotic spots. I don't have more insight than that but I discussed the matter with some old timers and they told me silver would kill roots.

Sensi Star was claimed to have tested at 28% I think, although those claims could be a little bogus.

Jack x Shiva would be something like (HazeNL x HazeSkunk) x NLSkunk so dependent on phenotypes, you coud have a lot of NL influence and some skunk influence, which does fit with my thoughts about SS.

Didn't Luc get his start, like Simon, at Sensi? If so, he had access to all the genes Nev left behind, probably, like Simon, he used some of them...

hi,

some funny proposition here...sensi star coming from jack... :eek::D

2packs of ss, 1 of belladona, 1 of magic bud, all in regular and by directly to the breeder this year, so don't know why jesse say it isn't any more avaible(it was out of stock yes, but still in the paradise garden):
1126854173.JPG

My hunch is that the Paradise crew took an NlxSK from Nevil and crossed it to a Russian indica similar to the Taskenti from CannaBioGen. These Russian indicas were being heavily worked at the time.

The reason IMHO that these unique strains degrade is because it was stolen. The original breeder usually is the only one with the facts. Because of this there are usually details about the plant that the copycat breeder cannot duplicate or has yet observed.

After a while it happens to all of the charlatains. For one reason or another they usually claim to "improve" the strain. When I see a breeder has "improved" a strain than it usually means he's "improving" someone elses work.

IMHO this is what happens when the wannabe "breeder" is searching for answers to questions the original breeder learned before he made his first test cross with the plants. All the while the consumers are buying their experiments for 10-15$ a piece. Aaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!

Caveat Emptor,
KB 8)_~

I've been working with Sensi Star for several years now and still work with it in the regular seed form. My preference is the sativa phenotype which does tend to be the prevailing phenotype. As far as its origins, I'm running Danbo's line from NDNGuy of BDHW as well as another line just referred to as Purple BSHW which is where snow pulled that beautiful Pink Sativa pheno from. It shouldn't be too hard to tell if there's similarities. As far as I'm aware what is sold as SAGE now is a Jack Herer type plant/FOG Type plant - NL/Haze x Skunk or some combination of that. I don't know about in the past. And there are sativa Phenotypes of the Sensi Star with that Menthol/Eucalyptus taste and smell with something else complex in the background... god that's a beautiful thing to find. old Arcata Trainwreck has that same mentholy eucalyptus smell/taste int he background with more lemon.

So we shall see!

Delta 9 Labs has the best sensi star reg seeds. They are from when Luc FIRST released the line in seed form. I don't think Luc appreciated it too much, but it's amsterdam...people do eachother dirty over there every single day. Same as the US. nasty ass business.

Hey Matt.You want me to tell ya ! lol
I've been working with Sensi Star for several years now and still work with it in the regular seed form. My preference is the sativa phenotype which does tend to be the prevailing phenotype. As far as its origins, I'm running Danbo's line from NDNGuy of BDHW as well as another line just referred to as Purple BSHW which is where snow pulled that beautiful Pink Sativa pheno from. It shouldn't be too hard to tell if there's similarities. As far as I'm aware what is sold as SAGE now is a Jack Herer type plant/FOG Type plant - NL/Haze x Skunk or some combination of that. I don't know about in the past. And there are sativa Phenotypes of the Sensi Star with that Menthol/Eucalyptus taste and smell with something else complex in the background... god that's a beautiful thing to find. old Arcata Trainwreck has that same mentholy eucalyptus smell/taste int he background with more lemon.

So we shall see!

Delta 9 Labs has the best sensi star reg seeds. They are from when Luc FIRST released the line in seed form. I don't think Luc appreciated it too much, but it's amsterdam...people do eachother dirty over there every single day. Same as the US. nasty ass business.

Hey All, Just Have to say this guy knows his shit!
Big Sur Holyweed is supposed to be a cross of Zacatecas Purple (Mexican) to a Kush-type indica done in 1964 by a Buddhist monk called Perry living at the big Buddhis monastery there.

If there is any BSHW in S.A.G.E. then I'll be very surprised, S.A.G.E. is very overrated imho, has hermie issues and isn't very potent at all, it tastes amazing. looks great, yields big, is a pleasure to grow, but isn't potent and will probably hermie on you in late flowering.

Sensi Star, well, I thought it was obvious what it is - mostly northern lights.

If I were to guess, I'd say it's based on Nev's HPxNL1, either that or one of the hybrids Nev made with the HPNL1 as a parent.

Remember, THSeeds used Gravity (which has HPNL1 as a parent) and Nev has stated that the HPNL1 was extremely potent indica.

So I reckon Sensi Star has HPNL1 in it, one thing I do know about Sensi Star - it hermies, not all of them, but a proportion will throw nanners in mid to late flower. If someone told me the lineage of SS was NL5SK x HPNL1 I'd believe them, I'm sure it's mostly NL with a tad of Skunk, it's definitely potent. doesn't taste that great though.

P.S. DNA were selling a femmed strain called Sweet Haze, it was garbage, a friend grew 3 packs and they all hermied. Wouldn't put it past DNA to buy stock from someone like Luc and sell it, regardless of hermie issues.

I have for many years thought highly of the variety, but in recent times Luc has ceased offering it in regular seed form, electing to go with a feminized form. Interesting to speculate on why that is? As someone who had a passionate love affair with Sensi Star, I will tell you I want nothing to do with the feminized version.

actually seedboutique.com has sensi star regular seeds I just noticed it the other day I'm thinking of ordering it but I got too many mr. nice seeds going right now.

Seems similar to NLxhashplant from Nevil, NLxhp was garlicky and buds were rock hard, not a big yielder, fast finisher. Sensi star can be finicky and takes a hair longer but always reminded me of the nlxhp.

[Hi, i tried sensistar from paradise donks ago never germned another 100 $ wasted .it looked good on packet never tried a gain pity.peace

Back