Roockie needs advice

Hello Rockie, nice selection.

My first question has to do with the tap water you say is at a PH of 8? I would adjust that to 6.3 to 6.8. Anything above 6.8 and you will run into problems. Do you own an EC meter or a TDS pen? If you do I would check your tap water EC. Once you get those two things dialed in it should be easier to diagnose your problems.

The reason why I say this is because without that info your plants could either be deficient and or could be hungry for more food. Other than that your plants look great.

HTH,
sp

IF U R a noob i can tell you this....water much less than you probably think they need. you can really let them dry out pretty good. if they start to droop, you've gone too far - so go ahead and water.

just keep on keeping on mostly. if there is any discoloration then you are having problems.

if they look pretty good the whole time, you are close to having what those plants need. then you can work on temperature, air flow and humidity stuff.

mostly check your pH and EC if you can.

there's lots more, but if your not having prolems - people (including myself) should probably let you be.

good luck

have fun

and smoke people out

Oh wow, just noticed the yellowing.

check that pH again - both going in, and any run off you can collect. each plant that looks that way.

IF you get Nitrogen lock out the old growth yellows and dies as the nitrogen is moved to the newest parts of the plant.

get your pH and EC to good levels then you will want to look at what your macro nutrient levels are. you will want different ratios at different times (age, size, and light cycle).

LESS IS MORE at the begining. take it easy, especially with soil grows - it's easy to over fert and that will be harder to fix.

typically noob mistakes are over water and over fert. then pH issues. it's a weed and grows well on almost nothing.

Last edited:
Can I ask how close the light is to these young uns and what kind of light it is... the yellowing looks like it may be bleaching to me... also that pH is going to cause you issues like all these good people have said.

edit - btw you have excellent taste, rookie or not ;)

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will definitely sort out the tap water PH so that we can resolve at least one issue.

@Jamie

It's interesting you mention the light arrangement. It is true that I did not have sufficient light the first few days, causing some plants to stretch more than usual. Since then there are 3 120W cool daylight and one Philips Son T agro 400 W (better for flowering).
This is not enough, I know, but I am hoping that, once I remove the males, the remaining plants will receive sufficient light.
For the last few days the lights are on a 12/12 regime. No further yellowing observed and plants are being transplanted today.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help...

FD

Back