revenge of the males

sysadmin

took 9 of 19 LN seeds and germinated via paper towels. 8/9 came up, one polypoid culled early, one runt. the remaining six plants grew lush and fat during vegging and appear similar (wide indica leaves, uniform height). They have been flowering approx 10 days and are showing. Looks like 5/6 males, bummer. One nice female and the runt is also a girl. So it looks like 2 females to work with going forward.

This is a good experience on why I like to start new genetics as a side to the normal proven clone grow. On the plus side I have 5 nice looking males to chuck some pollen around the proven selected shits.

Right now there seems to be two major phenos showing among the LN (mostly male based observations obviously!), a tall bushy,lanky pheno and a shorter, tighter pheno. The one lush female is healthy and leans more towards the larger pheno. The runt is a runt, I left her in a small pot which likely did not help but who knows how a cut from her might turn out. Anyhow will update some pics as the plants develop more. Still have 10 seeds left to germ out next time since you can't win em all!

some LN pics

female foreground, males background
IMG_2717.JPG

female (trained over, larger pheno)
IMG_2706.JPG

male (short pheno)
IMG_2701.JPG

everyone (scrog = shits, c99) LN left
IMG_2707.JPG

Last edited:
rolling on about 6 weeks or so. The males are dropping, took a pic of the large one which really produced a nice tight clustered head. The large female is coming along, she is def slower than the shits, probably on track for 12+- weeks I'd say. She has a very interesting glossy look to the leaves, and seems very healthy. I have a rooted cutting that just started pushing out new growth. hope to find her an outside spot this summer, we'll see. The runt looks similar but is runty, so I am not bothering to save a cut from her.

male
IMG_2760.JPG

female (background)
IMG_2757.JPG

Keep up the good work sysadmin and thanks for sharing.

I'm interested to see how things pan out.

Any comment on your observations of the La Ninas yet in terms of aromas, growth habits, etc.?

hard to comment on the strain with only 1 robust female. Quite frankly this pheno looks nothing like the other LNs in threads here where LN has a very distinct hazy look. This pheno appears to be very WW dom, if I grew it in a blind test there is no way I would think it was a haze cross other than its long budding time. This plant has a slight licorice/anise scent but nothing of distinct note(of course it reeks like overripe fruit all around it so that is masking). I can say it is very lanky with a huge stem but likely to produce a low harvest (as LN is known for), the leaves are very glossy, the bud is tighter looking than the known LN airy buds, and it appears to be on a 12+- week track to finish (9+ weeks now). Overall this plant is not shaping up as I expected/was looking for but will wait till she is finished to decide if worth keeping. I do have a rooted clone that will run at some point since really you cannot judge a plant until you run the clone at least once. Anyhow enough rambling here are some shots. There are more in the gallery but they are lacking correct link. Will update near harvest time.

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2932.JPG

IMG_2935.JPG

Hi Sysadmin,

Thanks for the description. You're right, it's hard to be certain until you've run her at least a couple of times but it's interesting to hear of the different expressions each strain has. It's the first time I've heard of licorice/anice aromas being linked to LN and I'm curious to know if this becomes any more prominent as she matures. It should be some nice smoke at the end nonetheless.

I noticed you only mentioned the female - any word on the characteristics of the males?

some recent harvest shots, still needs to cure out properly. ideally would have had another week (went approx 75+- days).

IMG_3006.JPG

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

I have sampled LN twice now and can offer an initial smoke report. The plant structure was WW dom but the high seems to be a mix of lineages. to note

1)appearance--the buds are airy and light with a nice coating of white resin. Some buds have better crystal structure likely do to light limitations for the LN but overall the resin production is good. The plant was very large but buds are smallish/light/wispy and total yield probably under an ounce.

2)smell-- hints of fuel with undertones of musky hash and pine, at one point the plant has a licorise/anise smell but that has faded. expect more smells to emerge on full cure.

3)taste--approximately 5 seconds after inhale a very earthy taste emerges in the back of the throat, followed by a subtle but noticeable rotten meat/carrion taste. Would actually describe the taste as slightly unpleasant.

4)smoke-- is non expansive and is easy on the throat/lungs, easy to hold hits in as long as desired

5)high-- yes LN has a very unique high that I can feel even w/ what appears to be a WW dom pheno. The high comes on within a few minutes and is strong but not overwhelming. Almost immediately after onset the stone becomes very meditative and introspective. I found myself walking around the moonlight yard looking at plants in the garden, listening to frogs/peepers/night animals, the sound of doors shutting houses away, the whisper of wind on the trees, etc. . Just sat out there for 30 minutes taking it all in. Not a body high and no paranoia or racy thoughts but very in the mind similar to a mental "trip". For this reason I do not think this is social smoke, or even something I want to smoke when around the family since it does make you withdraw and meditate. Perfect for solo activities like long walks/hikes/bikes, sitting on the zabuton, fly fishing, sketching out grand ideas/thoughts/visions.

I do have two cuts and look forward to running this one again. Also have 10 more LN seeds to pop and found my first 10 seeds last night of LN x Shit ("cali" pheno). Biggest negative to this plant is the longer flowering time (went almost 11 weeks and needed another) and low yield relative to how much room she will take in the garden.

hey

Upping some pics from second run of this selected LN clone. Interesting to note how one plant I topped/vegged longer look so much difft, in fact if you told me these plants were cut from the same mother I would be skeptical. These plants should go another 2 weeks and longer if you let them.

This is the untopped plant. note the sat dom structure

topped plant, much heavier yield and bud structure looks thicker? this plant did get more veg time than untopped, mostly in an attempt to increase yield

11+ weeks and ready to chop. swelling is complete though another week and they would likely pack on a little more resin. Definitely have much thicker tops and the smell is much more fuelly than last time, almost acrid and not pleasant. The plan this time around is to let the buds cure 4-6 weeks for maximum effect.

checked on the curing la nina and had to sample. the harvest was much improved this time at least 150% yield increase by topping/vegging longer and dialing in. new observations on the second run

the cured bud has a much more pronounced smell, at first it seemed fuel based but now it is something else, cannot quite figure out the smell but it is very unique. the la nina is segregated in multiple jars and all smell the same, acrid- it makes you crinkle your nose a bit and you can almost get a buzz on the smell alone.

this plant does better by topping/vegging longer, also seems like a lite feeder it burned slightly on soil mix other plant like. but flushing with extra water was all it needed, la nina does need extra time to finish

I just sampled some a short while ago w/ Jerome--the buzz is more euphoric than the first time. still meditative but also clearer/more functional. I gave some to a friend and asked for blind sample feedback--which was the buzz was very sativa based, motivational, enjoyable but like I said almost zen based as this person cleaned their entire house for 3 hours on this bud. based on my long ramble but motivated posting I would tend to agree......glad to have three fat jars on LN from this harvest

annual update

hello

still running the same LN cut for third year now. These shots can from the plant pictured above one year and a revegging later. She was treated roughly over the summer but survived, proceeded to get pretty big on the reveg. You could still sense a little fatigue from her the second flower but seems typical for reveges. A little more yellowing than normal, but no ferts given other than soil amendments as LN like to burn if overfed.

Anyhow I have come to realize this plant probably would do best growing outside vs indoor. She really wants to get big which I assume it the mm/thai influence. If I had the room and equipment I would aggressively prune/scrog this one in a 10 gallon bucket under one 1000 lamp. Under that scenario I think she would really reach maximum indoor potential. As is with other plants had to bend this one over until the bud weight caused her to naturally fall over. Went 82 days this time but resin still looks the same.

The smoke is as remembered except having grown accustomed to the high I can now use it in a social setting if wanted. Compared to my LN offspring "mosh" this high is much clearer without the confusion at higher levels. High levels tend to give a fixed perma grin aka roller coaster stretch face, but the high stays manageable relative to any freakouts or unpleasant sensations. I would say more of a spiritual/positive well being high overall and a longer lasting high than most. No burn or fogged feeling on comedown.

top cut bud pre trim

double the fun

reveged plant being harvested, top bud has been removed

Yummy :)

I'm drooling. I had a very similar LN pheno to yours and the description/pics match almost 100%. It is a beautiful plant wish I had the comfort of keeping clones and I would love to find it again. It had one of the best highs ever, very special . I really loved it cause it was very sativa but very friendly for a sativa ( no anxious/paranoia/edgy feelings ) very UP and HAPPY and it was clear yet trippy ( you could do things easily , no impaired speach etc.. ) . The best thing about it though was that it made you laugh a lot and you felt really happy/awesome.

Thanks for sharing :cool:

hey thanks l33t. Your pics of LN were of course the inspiration behind many of us trying this strain.

Must say this plant has everything I want except for taste. The taste is very earthy/woody with some spice and fuel overtones. But mostly it tastes like smoking some old brown frown. It is particularly noticeable when smoked out of a bowl or j, via water pipe is is less noticeable but still not pleasant.

This is what has always puzzled me about this cut, the look and high is very nice, but the taste is actually unpleasant. I have tried various cures and it always ends the same. I realize some sats just taste bad and this may just be one of them. Must admit some days I pass LN over b/c I dont want to deal with the taste.

Still a great strain though, very robust and has real desire to live/propagate. The spiritual side of the buzz makes me keep it around despite the taste.

soaring this AM

Harvested the first LN of the season last week. I saved the scissor hash and topped a fresh cured bud to sample (mostly on upper left, brown sprinkles). Actually made my upper lip start sweating once the high set in and had to go on serious 2 hour bike ride to mellow out. Still a great time though.

lnscap.jpg

Back