Pre Summer Solstice Budding

longball

Hello All!

I have a plant that started budding around June 13th. Not pre-flowers - buds. It was a week until the summer solstice so the days were still getting longer!!! I did not think a photoperiod plant would do this? Is this more common than I thought?

To be clear - the plant is outdoors. It is not an auto-flowering plant. I know the history of the seed and its mom. The seedling was put in soil on March 28th. Been growing about 11 weeks - not auto-flower. It was about 95F all that week. Heat stress?
None of the other 13 plants are doing this. Growing in the middle of New York State.

Longball

LB, nice to meet you friend. I will try to help.

Did you start them indoors? If so under what light cycle? When did you plant them out? Could the change have effected one more sensitive than the rest?

Are they in pots or in the ground? Sometimes root-bound plants (stress) can auto flower.

It’s not unthinkable that a stressed plant (heat, root-bound, light cycle changes, too much shade, genetics, or any combination of aforementioned could cause it to flower regardless of peak sun/night ratio. Again, maybe just more sensitive than the others.

I would let her ride it out. A little smoke in August would be nice waiting for the big and heavies to come down later. Best of luck with the grow.

longball

Hello Shrimp&Grits!

Nice to meet you! Great site here!! Thank you for taking the time to try and figure this out. To answer some of your questions: The plants were all started indoors and then moved outside in containers(until harvest). I kept the indoor environment as similar to what they will be living in outdoors as possible. Temps 65F - 75F, window open causing fluctuation. Outside if warm, inside at night. I tried to maintain as much consistency as possible to reduce stress. It's been hard to explain that to Mother Nature!

Light Cycle - 18/6 for a month. As they would be living outside I slowly scaled back the light to match sunlight hours. After 3 weeks I was down to about 15.5/8.5 which matched the sun. The plants went out for good in mid-May(last frost had passed) and days started getting longer. Never tried that before - I think I read that trick from Ed Rosenthal.

Heat Stress - It was mid-90'sF for a week. It does not usually get that hot where I grow, We set 2 all time heat records. Maybe that played in?

Pots- The plants are in movable containers. The plant budding before the solstice is in a 10gal(40litre?) cloth Grow Bag. I don't think it is root bound. I attached a picture and it is the plant closest in the picture.

"genetics, or any combination of aforementioned could cause it to flower regardless of peak sun/night ratio" - I think the answer is most likely right in here somewhere lol

Shrimp&Grits, have you ever had a plant that flowered while the days are getting longer? Thanks again for stopping in! :) Happy Growing!

One last note - hard to tell in the picture but once the plant started budding it completely changed. Old growth looks like its mom, rather typical hybrid plant. New growth and bud structure is sativa dominant! Stoked about that! Top half of plant is different than bottom half lol Love these plants!

Longball

Solstice Bud 1030385.jpg

quinxstar

hello

i agree with S&G when you put out a plant start indoor sometime the bloom start before the cycle light come down
you have to watch if the plant not turn on herni

nice garden

best regard

CannaFish

its most likely from starting them on the 18hr cycle.
you can move that plant under a supplemental light to keep it in extended vegetative state.

longball

[QUOTE="quinxstar, hello
i agree with S&G when you put out a plant start indoor sometime the bloom start before the cycle light come down you have to watch if the plant not turn on herni
nice garden
best regard [/QUOTE]

Hello quinxstar!

Thank you for the compliment. I agree, the light cycle is most likely the cause of the problem.

Longball

longball

[QUOTE="CannaFish, its most likely from starting them on the 18hr cycle. you can move that plant under a supplemental light to keep it in extended vegetative state. [/QUOTE]

Hello CannaFish!

Thank you for the reply. Here was my concern about the light cycle. Where I grow the outdoor season is, weather permitting, mid-May til early October. Not very long. I try to get plants going April 1st indoors to get a little longer season.
The longest day here(summer solstice) is 16 hours. A 16/8 cycle. Setting the plants out mid-May is maybe a 15/9 light cycle. Maybe. I am wondering if I should use a 18/6 light cycle to start them as they will never see that cycle in their life
once outdoors. I was thinking that going from 18/6 to 15/9 may cause flowering yet I need to start the plants indoors due to weather. Maybe I should start the seedlings at 15/9? Does that make any sense? I would think 15/9 would cause smaller
or slower growth?

Longball

Hey buddy.
Yes, I’ve had plants flower early. The odd ball, not the norm.
You could start on 15/9 and put them out mid May. If you like 18/6 you can wait till mid June to put out.
If it’s just the one plant and everything else is to your liking I wouldn’t change anything.
Your plants look great. Well done!

longball

Hello S&G!

Thank you for the reply! Been following your 'More Tonkin, Less Honkin' thread. Badass grow there. Awesome selection! I will be rootin' for you all the way!

Longball