papa flowers on 24 hr light cycle

Barnflowers

Hey MNS, I was just wondering if this was common or weird.

I have one male from my Grail Widow test run, all the other males were binned. This plant started showing flowers on 12/12 light cycle and it was removed from the flowering room along with the other males.

I took a cutting and it rooted and it continued to flower and gave me some pollen which I clumsily dusted on my GW girls. The plant was maybe 4-6" tall when it released pollen and then after that it appeared to re-veg and went back to vegetative state.

Today I noticed that it is producing male flowers again, all of the growing tops are producing flowers and this is happening under continuous light.

So what the frig? I this at all normal? Is it a good trait? :eek: Bad?

The plant is not particularly stressed, a bit of water stress, it has gone droopy a few times because the pot gets really dry but not enough for it to lose leaves or anything, nothing I would consider out of the ordinary.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from more experienced growers who have kept males alive over winter.

This is my first attempt at over winter with cuttings.

ive had males do that in the past, ones that once they started flowering there just wasnt any way to stop them

other then cutting them back to almost nothing

i had a male flowering and strangely enough vegging at the same time for a year or more, i kept cutting it back and it continued doing this, then one day i said f*ck this and cut it back to seriously almost nothing left of it, that was when it finally started vegging normally again, i kept it around in clone form using it (keeping a clone) once in a while to knock up some girls for over 2 more years

I think its normal I had a mango male have a few balls open in veg I also heard Subcool talk about his male doing it. It shouldn't fully flower out just a few balls here and their. I'll know soon enough if my Devil males do it too.

Thanks guys, there's not a lot of info out there about the habits of males, I guess some pressure builds up after a while.:D

I'll keep an eye on things and more opinions and experience is welcome!

In my opinion an autoflowering male is undesirable. I eliminate all individuals that exhibit the trait. To me if a plant gets a certain size and automatically starts flowering its a bad thing. What if I wanted that plant to be huge?To veg a plant until it gets massive takes lot of time under 24 or 18 hr light. I off the males as well as females that autoflower simply because I do not want that trait expressed in the progeny. I recently reach f3 with a project I call grape skunk. My f1 female auto flowers once it gets over three feet. I was unaware of this when I selected it to use for f2. Due to a feeder line clog and an unplugged water pump I lost most of my f2 males. Except one, yep an autoflowering one. I used him to make the f3 simply because he was the only one left. Now I hope I can find some good individuals that don't autoflower. That should be increasingly difficult considering their parental history. If selection fails, I'll backtrack until I find the appropriate parentals. Luckily I have hundreds of seeds from all phases of the work.

@Pantagruelion - thanks for that extra info

Since this plant came out of a test of Shanti's latest and greatest, I wonder if I should send him a pm to let him know that this trait expresses itself in these genetics?

Probably?

I have revegged males and sometimes they just want to keep flowering. I’m not sure it’s necessarily an autoflower trait but maybe more of a hormone thing. It’s almost like the switch was flipped and if any part of the plant has any flowers, buds, or anything to do with flowering it just wants to keep going. The only way I’ve found to get them to revert is thru severe pruning, sometimes over and over again, kind of like what yowser said. Sometimes you just can’t get them to stop and have to cull them.

I once had an autoflower female that just kept going and going, it was a freebie and labeled as such. I even took a clone and kept it for a while and it kept flowering under 20/4. I finally got rid of it but probably should have kept it, it wasn't bad smoke. Could of kept it on a window sill as a house plant growing year round, lol.

@Pantagruelion - thanks for that extra info

Since this plant came out of a test of Shanti's latest and greatest, I wonder if I should send him a pm to let him know that this trait expresses itself in these genetics?

Probably?

It's not fully flowering is it? the one I had just had a few male flowers open but not fully flowering. If it is fully flowering then it won't be the best male to use unless you wanted an auto line.

It's not fully flowering is it? the one I had just had a few male flowers open but not fully flowering. If it is fully flowering then it won't be the best male to use unless you wanted an auto line.

Well, it looks like the new growth is back to veg. So he gave a short burst of flowers, the flowers opened and released pollen. I sprayed the plant with plain water and now back to normal vegetative growth.

Like I said I don't think the plants are particularly stressed but it is very dry right now, humidity around 32-35% so it is possible that the dryness is a trigger for the plants, I'm only speculating on that.

I'll try and post a picture later.

My next big challenge with these mommas and papa is that I will be away for about 10-12 days. So today I'm potting them up hoping that they will survive while I'm gone.

Thanks for checking in folks.

A couple of pictures
img_1967.jpg

img_1969.jpg

Looks like a healthy male doesn't it?

Blew his load and then back to vegetative growth, all under 24 hour light.:eek:

Hey Barn Flowers. I just water the piss out of them, let them stand in a sauver and then bail if I have to be gone for long. 10 to 12 days is a long time though... Can you keep them cooler than normal while you're gone, or have a trusted friend check on them while you're gone?

Hey Cave, thanks for checking in.
This is what I have done to prepare.

• Re-pot to larger pots
  • Water the shit out of them as you suggested
  • Lower the temps about 3C
  • Reduce the amount of lighting slightly
  • The pots are in a tray and I wrapped wet towels around the pots and tray
  • Crossed my fingers
I think that's about all I can do, if they die, they die. I have seeds :)
Leaving tomorrow morning.

Yeah, you should be fine. One thing I've noticed is that after I re-pot and water, I go back a few hours later and re-water, just to make sure that the new soil didn't shed water rather than absorbing it. I hope your trip is to somewhere tropical and fun rather than all business and work. Have fun!!

Yeah, you should be fine. One thing I've noticed is that after I re-pot and water, I go back a few hours later and re-water, just to make sure that the new soil didn't shed water rather than absorbing it. I hope your trip is to somewhere tropical and fun rather than all business and work. Have fun!!
Back from the trip, all five plants survived!

@Cave - actually I went to a place colder than home (if you can imagine that) time to visit the folks :)

Some plants will flower if rootbound.

Some males are like male salmon IME; once they let a good load loose they aren't long for this world.

Back