outdoor strains

Ya, and I was on the planet Mars in '71 too. I can refute about 99% of what El Narco Watson claims about NorCal from '66 on. Plain and simple, he is full of DEA cover story shit. But believe what you will. *My* experience as a hippie on the west coast (pony tail, motorcycle and all) is that *I* never saw weed crossed with indica until the late 1970s at the very earliest. The indica that I saw being brought back from central Asia and North Africa in the later 60s and 70s was in the form of hashish, and not seeded weed. The hashish did not have any seeds. The sativas from around the globe had seeds and was sold as bag weed. Sativas dominated the market then. They also dominated the early California grows. That is what I saw living there anyway. The Hippie Trail was one thing, but Big Sur was the holy Mecca of hippies in the 60s. Certainly someone brought in indica seeds at some point. But also into the mid 1970s most people in California did not know how to grow good weed. Good weed, not just any weed.

By they way, the notion of what was called Big Sur Holy Weed being an indica cross is pure fantasy. Or later attempts by seed sellers to rip people off thinking that their indica crosses are somehow related to BSHW. The Big Sewer Holee seeds that I have are tiny tiny purple sativa seeds, resulting in true to form giant late blooming purple sativa plants. I got these seeds in Big Sur in a bag of weed. It was not called Holy Weed. That was too passe' a name by then. It was called Big Sur Purple bud. Actually I only heard of Big Sur weed being called BSHW around 1970 to 1972 and the name went extinct until more recently. I knew one breeder in Pacific Valley that started crossing African indica strains in '79, and that was as early as I saw anyone doing that. I had supplied land race seeds (sativas) to several growers in Carmel Valley and Big Sur in the late 1970s and the weed I got from them as a 'thank you' absolutely knocked people on their asses on Telegraph Ave and stoned out of their minds on Asilomar Beach and in Santa Cruz. Including complete stoners like CrazyHorse, Niel Young's band at that time. But that is another story...
Great great posts!!

Back