Organic>non organic myth or reality?

it was just an exemple of product who are allow and are not organic on the bio label
Cooper can be mined from natural sources and therefore been considered "organic".
But it's not good for the soil it doesn't degrade, accumulate and poison the bacterial life.
Most chemical fungicides are more efficient you need to use less and are finally less armful than Cooper.

Cooper can be mined from natural sources and therefore been considered "organic".
But it's not good for the soil it doesn't degrade, accumulate and poison the bacterial life.
Most chemical fungicides are more efficient you need to use less and are finally less armful than Cooper.

sulfur is a metal there is nothing organic in it

i use it for my tomatos against mildiou is authorised in "biologique culture" but it's not organic

i agree is no good for the bacterial life but without no tomatos

it's that the diffrence beetween bio and organic i think they are a confusion beetween the 2 words

Hi guys,

When talking about food most people think than organic fruits and vegetables taste better.
But when you set up a blind experiment comparing organic food VS non organic nobody is able to see any difference.
Same with their nutritive properties...most ppl think organic contains more nutrients... But when you make analysis to compare there are no differences or very few difference on a very few compounds.

So do you know if such scientic comparison have been made in the US legal states comparing cannabis strains grow organic vs non organic (with everything the same for others growing condition) ? Would be interesting to split a large greenhouse in two side one organic and the other regular and compare honestly the end product.

So does organic is really better or finally just a marketing trick?
I don't want to buy into this debate too much but there are a few considerations that are important here and the flavor should not be the only consideration. Run to waste hydroponics is wasteful. As Clackamass Coots points out over at Icmag the industry that sell the nutrients are shysters in many cases. His example was liquid potash at 3% and how it costs the retailer 56cents/litre and the mark up is like 1000%. So there is that side to it as well. I know commercial hydroponic operators buy the salts and make up their own mixes but for the hobbyist he falls prey to greed every time. Liquid nutrients are in my opinion overated. Seaweed and mollases are the two liquid nutrients I use and soon when my comfrey grows I will make a tea from that. When using organics you are trying to replicate nature inside a pot. These soil mixes can be re-used. Many organic ingredients are waste products from the agricultural industry so that is another tick in the organics box. At the end of the day it comes down to your attitude about the planet. Do you want to flush a heap of nutrients down the drain and contribute to the multitude of problems we as humans are facing or do you want to try and live in harmony with nature. I know what my choice is and always will be. I keep liquid fertiliser on hand only for emergencies and as my soil mix improves over the years there will hopefully be no need to use it. Just my thoughts.

Hi guys,

When talking about food most people think than organic fruits and vegetables taste better.
But when you set up a blind experiment comparing organic food VS non organic nobody is able to see any difference.
Same with their nutritive properties...most ppl think organic contains more nutrients... But when you make analysis to compare there are no differences or very few difference on a very few compounds.

So do you know if such scientic comparison have been made in the US legal states comparing cannabis strains grow organic vs non organic (with everything the same for others growing condition) ? Would be interesting to split a large greenhouse in two side one organic and the other regular and compare honestly the end product.

So does organic is really better or finally just a marketing trick?
Who's blind test? Did the chemical companies pay for the tests? Maybe the testers had covid.

Mono potassium phosphate is cheap, you get kilos for a few £ they use that and still water to make PK boosters.

Nitrogen you can get for ammonium nitrate and seaweed.

All nutrients are organic . But solid organic ads flavour.

Nev said in the 90s people won with his infamous hydroponic in the organic and hydro cups as different strains.

Can of worms here. I have debated this for years. HUGE issue in the US is that 'organic' is a label controlled and 'owned' by the USDA. Whatever they say ORGANIC is, goes. Which here makes no sense. I mean, organic from a chemistry perceptive means any molecule with carbon in it. But the USDA says something else. As stated by others here, sulfur is considered organic and can be dumped on plants. Same with azadirachtin, one of the prime ingredients in raw (but not refined) Neem oil. You can dump it on. However, aza is a pesticide and some claim that it causes Cannabinoid Hypermesis Syndrone and hence makes you sick. Ooooh, but its natural and organic, so it must be good, right? No... I know several organic growers that quit growing organic because of what they allow and do not allow in/for organic labeling. The flip side is Abamectin, the main ingredient in Avid. It naturally occurs in soil bacteria. So it should be organic, right? But nooooooooooo. Sorry. It is synthesized instead of extracted, so it is not organic. Too expensive to grow bacteria and extract it. Even though it would be EXACTLY THE SAME COMPOUND. But no... we cannot have anything that actually makes sense these days. Politics forbids that. Avid is good stuff, and the ONLY stuff that controls broad mites here. Also it is photo degraded rapidly (as stated by Cornell University in the results of many tests) and only stays in the plant for a few weeks at most. And it stays in the leaves that are sprayed, so when you spray the sun leaves it does not migrate to the flowers. I know many growers that use it and get their weed tested after harvesting and it does not show up in testing. But it is not organic. They use it here anyway.

Now that is for pesticides (including miticides and fungicides). When it comes to plant food? Well, my horticulture and plant education from the University or California at Davis and Oregon State University say the same thing. That plants take up nutrients the same, regardless of if they are organic, synthetic or inorganic. UC Davis tests show that plants fed inorganic, organic and synthetically derived foods react the same and grow the same. I know, there will be screaming and ranting as a result of my posting this from the organic cult. But it is true. Tested empirically over and repeated many thousands of times. Plants simply do not care where the nutes come from. They use them exactly the same. So for me, this is a no brainer. Use whatever is cheap and available. Human urine, goat and sheep poop, Miracle Grow, blood and bone meal, whatever. Cannabis plans are pigs and will eat whatever you give them. And I can from experience say that plants fed synthetics DO NOT TASTE ANY DIFFERENT than plants fed so called organic plant foods. I do not care how long and loud you scream about it. I have grown THOUSANDS of Cannabis plants in my lifetime, and over 200 different strains/hybrids/varieties. I defy you to tell me that one of my Miracle grow fed buds tastes any different than a horse manure fed plant. It does not come out that way. There is no chemical taste or residue. Plants have natural filters in the root systems to prevent that, as long as you do not overdue things. Give them what they want and they will be happy. You have to know how to read the leaves and growth to tell what they are lacking. That is a key in this. As are when to harvest, how to cure, and how long to cure the buds. That and the genetics in my experience are where the smell, taste and highs/stones are most influenced.

Personally I grow biodynamic (not just for Cannabis, all plants that I grow), and use a wide spectrum of organic, inorganic and synthetic pesticides and plant foods. Why limit my growing to what the USDA and state of Oregon says I can use? Fark them. I do not grow for commercial sales so I do not have to get my results tested or go by anyone's rules. I smoke what I grow. It does not make me sick. And no, I do not use strong pesticides that leave residues or do not break down. Nor do I drown my plants in Miracle Grow. Of late I use a lot of human pee on my weed. Its free, its good, and the plants love it. Why pay for something that most people flush down the john? I use Avid and refined Neem for pest and PM control. They work well. I also use super phosphate and Ironite pellets. Dunno if they are considered organic or not, but I do not really care. At times I may use hydrogen peroxide, agricultural soap/spreaders, sheep poop, human pee, Abamectin, refined Neem oil, Safers soap, Miracle Grow (or equivalent water soluble fertilizer), Alpaca Poo, cow poop, barn muck, horse poop (after a year of setting), variable types of compost, who knows what types of natural fungi I have in the soil here (there are so many I cannot count), blood meal, kelp meal, bone meal, hoof and horn meal, cottonseed meal, Osmocote, oyster shell, or a splattering of other things that come available. I also make my own soils, mainly a mix of local silty loam and ground up leaves from the year before. The worms love the dead leaf material in the soil. I let the worms do my aeration and they leave castings for the plants. I see lots of fungi and worms in my soil when I re-use the Cannabis plant soil for bamboos and tomatoes and other plants. I do not re-use Cannabis soil on Cannabis plants. Too may pests can be harbored that way. Phylloxera is here in Oregon now and has adapted to dine on Cannabis. As have hemp mites, various spider mites and broad mites. All bad for Cannabis. PM is another issue with growing some strains here, but it contolled by 1:100 strength refined 70% neem oil.

Well, I do not post here much these days. But this is and has been an online issue for me regarding weed growing, so chew on that...

Last edited:
the taste is more chimical with mineral and the yield is bigger than organic

the bud are more compact with mineral too

i have try in mineral in indoor

hesi

vaalseberg garden

plagron mineral

i found the rising more hard with mineral and the tsate of weed to much altered

If you're tasting chemicals/ minerals then someone needs to learn what a flush is.

(y)

I was growing with slow release Organic feeds, some from the bottle and some using things like Guano, Frass etc then when I switched to LED the slow release couldn't keep up with the rate the lights were driving photosynthesis so I switched to Mineral based feeds that were absorbed by the plant much quicker, since switching and with a simple week of plain water at the end (not a proper flush, just watering with plain water) I'd say there's no noticeable difference, I did see an article years ago that said in a side by side test including proper lab analysis the only difference was the production of a few terpenes. I'm trying to find the article I'm sure it was from Greenhouse, I know, I know.

Yield was no bigger with the minerals, I only use Grow and Bloom formulas as I don't believe you can push your plants much past that genetic capability - I'm not one for buying snake oil.

Cannabis flowered in low temps, now there's the difference in taste!

Not all soil is the same. Not all organic produce is the same. You can stick plants in a pile of horse shit ,and call it organic. The organic produce at the local grocery store is a little different to good quality fruit and vegetables at a good farmers market or your own organic vegetable patch. Surely a blind donkey with no tongue could tell the difference. The stone from the same plant grown outside in good soil seems to last alot longer than the same plant grown indoors hydroponically. But that's probably more to do with the sun than the dirt ,I don't know.I grow most indoors in dwc or coco /perlite with chemicals , I think 90% is genetics , flushing drying and curing, but nothing beats nature . This blind test sounds as absurd as the to flush or not to flush or at least wind back on the nutes argument, chlorophyll tastes bad enough without adding all the chemical residue to it. Oven dried green leaf doesn't make you cough your guts out but over fertilised unflushed flowers do. Maybe they need to work on the quality of there "organic " soil. I'm sure the tobacco companies used to commission the same sort of tests on whether or not smoking kills, again I would question the agenda behind the people running these tests.

Back