Opening up The Doors

~10 weeks

Yosemite Sam, I'm honored to have you pay a visit to this journal. And thanks to all others for the props.

I harvested The Doors #2 and #6 at 9.5 weeks. As predicted by morphology of first leaves, they were the first to finish.

D2 at harvest

D2_F66.jpg

D2_cola_F66.jpg

Corkscrew bud structure...

D2_corkscrew.jpg

D6 at harvest

D6_F66.jpg

D6_cola_F66.jpg

The remaining five plants are doing well and appear to be ahead of schedule, probably due to the 14/10 light schedule. Looks like the longest flowering one will be D3, which will probably be ready at 13 weeks. The others look like they only need a couple more weeks. I'm going to let them all go to 13 weeks because I have some The Doors x Punto Rojo seeds that need to mature. Aromas remain less loud and less distinct than late veg and early flower. Resin is generally gritty, not oily. Resin density is uniformly very good, with D3 rising a bit above her sisters in that department. Several plants are stacking fat calyzes like crazy, and it makes me think one could tease a Grinspoonish pheno out of the F2s. And boy do I have a lot of F2s; the D1, D3, D5 and D10 seed plants are still going strong on supplemental light, and they're all loaded with seed.

D1

D1_F70.jpg

D1_flowers_F70.jpg

D3

D3_F70.jpg

D3_cola_F70.jpg

D5

D5_F70.jpg

D5_cola_F70.jpg

D7

D7_F70.jpg

D7_cola_F70.jpg

D10

D10_F70.jpg

D10_cola_F70.jpg

Man I would love to be puffin with you in a couple weeks... all of them look great... some variation too.. Some look like they could yield awesome if dialed in flawlessly... Looks like you did great man... Cant wait to hear your words from enjoying your work.
Really making me wanna jump on the doors. I gotta get the wins I already have though. Nevhaze, nevskunk, nl5hz, and mangohaze should keep me busy..

Which one do you think is gonna be the most potent?

Really nice Mark ! :cool: they look stunning! BOTM candidates ;)

That corkscrew looks awesome aswell :cool::cool: keep it coming brother!

greetzz

Seriously nice looking buds there Marcus thank you so much for doing a complete dairy on The Doors, you must be very happy with how these girls turned out.

How would you rate your experience with this strain vs other MNS strains ?

Cant wait to hear your words from enjoying your work...
Which one do you think is gonna be the most potent?

Thanks for the props! I think #3 will be most potent based on resin density and longest flowering time, but I've only smoked samples of #1, #2, #4, and #6 so far. It's all good weed and I'll write up a more detailed smoke report later but so far #1 > #2 > #6. Flavor of #2 is excellent, I get berries with an anise-licorice finish. Great bag appeal but I hate that metric.

Really nice Mark ! :cool: they look stunning! BOTM candidates ;)

Heh, thanks, Byorn. I think I will enter The Doors in the BOTM contest soon!

Seriously nice looking buds there Marcus thank you so much for doing a complete dairy on The Doors, you must be very happy with how these girls turned out.

How would you rate your experience with this strain vs other MNS strains ?

Thanks man! I've liked all the MNS gear I've grown so far, but The Doors > Grail Widow > Angel's Breathe. However, nothing I've grown yet has come close to the F2 I teased out of Angel's Breathe. Hoping to do something similar with The Doors, but I'm going to grow out The Doors x '78 punto rojo before I grow out the F2s because I think The Doors needs more sativa influence. In fact I take issue with MNS' marketing The Doors as 75% haze; it grows like 50% haze at best. It doesn't stretch much. There's a consistent skunk bud structure in The Doors that, while improving calyx/leaf ratio, yield and bag appeal, I find distasteful. I like airy, stacked-calyx sativa buds. I'm fucking weird that way.

I was getting some PM on The Doors seed plants I'm finishing indoors, and it was coming back after treatment, so I chopped all the remaining seed plants except for D5. I have lots of F2 seed to play with. D1, D3, D5, D7 and D10 are still going strong in the tent.

Last edited:
Hey Braddah Marcus!
Looks like you'll have your hands full during the Holidays lol!

"Yeah, magic dust, y'know? He used ta give a little bit to da reindeer, a little bit to Santa Claus, a little bit more for Santa Claus, a little bit mo..."

It has been great to follow along with your "Opening Doors" adventure. Another great strain from MNS to try out for sure. I am looking forward to comparing them to the Neville's. At this point, it seems that the Doors is putting out stronger plants than the Nevs so far. At least I have more favorites picked in that group lol. Slightly taller, leafier, slightly darker in color with reddish petioles compared to the lighter colored petioles of the Nev. Generally, similar growth characteristics.

Though with this as well as any MNS strain, if one sticks with it long enough, one can find gems within each variety as evidenced by your comments about your AB F2's. That's my take at the moment anyway. Keep on chooglin' brah!

Shaka
Mu

~ 12 weeks

Greetings, brother Musashi and fellow MNS compadres. I will have lots of treats for Santa Claus' Old Lady this year, courtesy of The Doors. In other words, it's harvest time, and some of this herb will be ready to enjoy at Christmas, while some of the partially cured earlier plants (#2, 4) will be enjoyed at Thanksgiving, which is by far my favorite holiday.

I have chopped all the seed plants that I finished indoors. I have lots of F2 seed and enough ground up bud for a fair amount of hash from the seed plants. Seed Plant #5 was the last plant to go.

Last night, after 12 weeks of flowering, I harvested most of the remaining plants in the tent. I closely inspected all the plants that I harvested and I have not found a single banana. This is such a refreshing change from the Colombian landrace sativas I've been growing, and it's a testament to the quality of Shanti's breeding - 100% germination and not a single nanner. Very impressive.

D1 - harvested at 12 weeks

This is the one that had some bud rot in the apical cola a couple weeks ago. Very potent smoke. Lovely mid-range floral pine-lime haze smells.

D1_F83.jpg

D1_cola_F83.jpg

D3 - still going at 12 weeks

D3 is definitely the most sativa-leaning and longest flowering plant in the bunch. Very resinous with a lovely pine-dominant aroma. Also probably the most resinous remaining plant. I haven't smoked it yet, and am really looking forward to the taste and effect.

D3_F83.jpg

D3_cola_F83.jpg

D5 - still going at 12 weeks

D5 was the last to start flowering outside, and is the second last to finish. She's pretty much ready now, but she has a couple different types of punto rojo seeds ripening in the lower buds so she's going to go another week or two. Still a fair amount of clear trichs (no amber yet), but most of the pistils are dark. Haze C leaner with nice pine-citrus aromas.

D5_F83.jpg

D5_cola_F83.jpg

D7 - (mostly) harvested at 12 weeks

Haze A leaner, methinks. Aromas are now muted but dark, metal shop, leather, meat, earthy finish. I harvested the main cola and left the lower buds to allow seeds to ripen further. Can't wait to try a cured sample.

D7_F83.jpg

D7_cola_F83.jpg

D10 - (mostly) harvested at 12 weeks

Another Haze C leaner, I think, with floral-pine-lime aromas. Pretty good yielder. I haven't sampled this one either. This plant was done at 12 weeks.
I chopped the main cola and left the lower buds to allow seeds to ripen.

D10_F83.jpg

D10_cola_F83.jpg

Man I've got some major bud envy going on here, that D3 plant is beautiful keep up the good work.

...Last night, after 12 weeks of flowering, I harvested most of the remaining plants in the tent. I closely inspected all the plants that I harvested and I have not found a single banana. This is such a refreshing change from the Colombian landrace sativas I've been growing, and it's a testament to the quality of Shanti's breeding - 100% germination and not a single nanner. Very impressive.

The breeding, the quality, the seeds. It's why some of us keep coming back. Welcome home braddah!

Shaka
Mu

14 weeks: This is the end...

Dkeppel, Fish and musashi, thanks for your kind words of encouragement. This has been a fun grow.

Wow, hard to believe I've arrived at the end of my journey through The Doors...for now. I harvested D5 at 13 weeks, and I just chopped D3 tonight at 14 weeks. Here's D3 right before the axe fell...

D5_cola_F98.jpg

I think she'd continue to shoot white pistils from her uppermost stringy calyxes for another month if I'd let her. But this plant is done. Quite a few amber trichomes, more than I prefer. D3 and D5 have some Doors x punto rojo seeds that I'm interested in growing this summer. Puerta rojo. I still haven't smoked D3 and I'm hoping she'll be THE ONE. But I should keep my hopes in check.

I made LOTS of F2 seeds, enough for a couple lifetimes...

The_Doors_F2_seeds.jpg

I'll be back with smoke reports and some final thoughts on the F1s.

Dam fine work on this grow and the diary, I really appreciate the work you put into your descriptions and it's easy to read.

Looking forward to your smoke report on these final 2 phenos, D3 looks killer I have high hopes for your D3 x Puerta Rojo.

Really looking forward to seeing what you find in your F2s and Doors x Puerta rojo grows, should be a lot of fun for you.

My hat is off to you. Great job!
I am really impressed and surprised by the nice yield on almost all of them. I have recently been growing some "elite haze variants" that have really small buds.

I am glad to have some SSH coming up, though I won't see their flowers for a while. And that is if I knock out the mites I just detected. I think that I found them early enough.

Dkeppel, Fish and musashi, thanks for your kind words of encouragement. This has been a fun grow.

Wow, hard to believe I've arrived at the end of my journey through The Doors...for now. I harvested D5 at 13 weeks, and I just chopped D3 tonight at 14 weeks. Here's D3 right before the axe fell...

D5_cola_F98.jpg

I think she'd continue to shoot white pistils from her uppermost stringy calyxes for another month if I'd let her. But this plant is done. Quite a few amber trichomes, more than I prefer. D3 and D5 have some Doors x punto rojo seeds that I'm interested in growing this summer. Puerta rojo. I still haven't smoked D3 and I'm hoping she'll be THE ONE. But I should keep my hopes in check.

I made LOTS of F2 seeds, enough for a couple lifetimes...

The_Doors_F2_seeds.jpg

I'll be back with smoke reports and some final thoughts on the F1s.

Smart man. The genetic diversity will be quite wide across all those beans. Love how you took the time/energy to selectively cross same-cultivar phenos. Post grow diaries please when you start popping them!

Dkeppel - Thanks mate! I'll definitely add to this thread as I grow out the F2s and crosses, which I plan to do.

PMB - Appreciate the props! Good luck with SSH, I'm sure you'll find something nice.

Keepthefloe - Thanks man. Easy to be that organized with seeds when I only had one male! I' going to focus my efforts on the F2s made from D3 and D7. I'll probably grow the Colombian outcrosses first.

Speaking of Colombian outcrosses, I'm test smoking a lightly seeded lower bud from D3 now and look what I found...

ladies and gentlemen, The Doors #3 x 1978 Punto Rojo:

The_Doors_D3_x_1978_Punto_Rojo.jpg

I just smoked those bracts and it's freaking awesome smoke! This message brought to you by The Doors #3. :D I'm going to slap on my cross country skis and go get some fresh air and sunshine.

Hey Fish - I wish!

Turns out I only got three seeds from that cross...that vial of pollen seems to have had potency problems. I also have The Doors x CBG Punto Rojo, so plenty of cool genetics to play with.

Just a quick update regarding the difficult task of test smoking The Doors. :)

The potency across all phenos is very good and quite uniform. Despite her sativa-ish structure and longest-flowering status, D3 has turned out to be no better than most of her sisters in terms of quality of effect; in fact, early testing suggests she may lag behind a bit.

So which one is the keeper?

In the NH, HzC accounts for 50% of the genetics, yet the predominant good pheno is the HzA type.

To be continued...

Hey Fish - I wish!

Turns out I only got three seeds from that cross...that vial of pollen seems to have had potency problems. I also have The Doors x CBG Punto Rojo, so plenty of cool genetics to play with.

Just a quick update regarding the difficult task of test smoking The Doors. :)

The potency across all phenos is very good and quite uniform. Despite her sativa-ish structure and longest-flowering status, D3 has turned out to be no better than most of her sisters in terms of quality of effect; in fact, early testing suggests she may lag behind a bit.

So which one is the keeper?

To be continued...

Thanks for noting that the longest is NOT necessarily the best. The thought that they are seems to the a very common belief among those that haven't tested the theory.

And of course thanks for documentation of all you are putting your time into. :)

Closing The Doors

Aloha, friends and global growers of ganja. The Doors bud has been in the jar for a couple months now now and I've smoked enough of it to be able to summarize my observations growing and smoking The Doors.

I got 100% germination of 10 seeds, and was left with one male and seven females after I guillotined a couple defenseless seedlings. The male began flowering in August, earlier than all the girls, all of whom finished in 9-12 weeks indoor under 12/12, then 11/13, and then 10/14 for the last 6 weeks. No intersex issues. Not. One. Single. Nanner. Thank you Shanti.

Let's start with the yields. Recall these plants started out as rooted clones that were flipped to 12/12 within a couple days of being transplanted into 2-gallon hempy buckets. They were small, ranging in height from 24-36 inches.

Plant Yield
1 38 g Susceptible to bud rot, good potency
2 28 g Great flavor of berries, Indica leaner, good potency
3 54 g Back of the pack potency, no aroma
5 45 g Mid pack
6 21 g Very good potency, Indica leaner
7 40 g Fluffiest, Haze A leaner in aroma and effect
10 29 g Mid pack

There was a lot of uniformity amongst The Doors phenos. The buds were all quite chunky and dense (except D7, which was noticeably fluffier) and resinous. Very easy weed to trim with very little trim weight. I think the skunk influence in The Doors bud morphology is more pronounced than it's relative lineage, via the AC male, would suggest. Here are what the dried buds looked like after ~6 weeks of curing in the jar.

The_Doors_buds_1_2_3_5.jpg

The_Doors_buds_6_7_10.jpg

I got about 10 g of bubble hash from the seed plants that I harvested. :D

The_Doors_hash.jpg

The aromas of The Doors were wonderful in veg, but muted in the cured flower. The Doors #2 has a very nice berry flavor, while #7 retained Haze A dominant aromas throughout the grow and into the finished bud. All the other plants had very mild aromas during flower and in the jar. Taste of the smoke is fine, especially #7, which is anything but sweet, rather, lip-smacking savory.

The potency of The Doors is very good and quite uniform; I would rate it overall at 8 / 10. I've shared probably half of my harvest now with friends and family who love The Doors and think it's among the best weed I've grown. Honestly, maybe because I had super high expectations, I'm a little disappointed. I found typical haze hybrid effects in these plants, but I did not find the killer 16-week, old-school-tasting, super potent haze-leaning pheno that others have reported. I know they're in the F2s though. Maybe I've developed a tolerance lately, but it was difficult for me to distinguish between the effects of most of The Doors plants. The high was powerful with a quick onset, variably stony to somewhat energizing, but mostly introspective. After toking it for several weeks I grew tired of it and it began to seem dull. Maybe it's the skunk influence, as I tend to find skunk highs bland.

Then there's #7. She was the outlier in quality of effect, and clearly Haze A dom in taste and aroma. The Haze A traits are nice, but the reason I selected #7 as my Doors keeper is the quality of the effect. I had been smoking some one of her sisters and was quite high when I first rolled a joint of #7 for a smoke test. After two tokes, a really nice, happy, energetic high cut right through the introspective high I had going, and I found myself thinking 100 mph, laughing, and going outside for a nice walk. Euphoric, mentally stimulating buzz with a nice, spicy "dark" flavor to the smoke. A few days later on Thanksgiving I shared a joint with my guests, including KT, the hippie who gifted me her old seed collection. We smoked that joint and sat down to a wonderful meal, laughing and talking our asses off. Social weed. Happy weed. Not mind-numbing, more like mind sharpening. And only 12 weeks of flower. These are the F2s (D7 x D4) I want to explore.

I'm breaking from my seed-popping, pheno-hunting tradition and doing something unusual for this current grow cycle; I'm running three clones each of my two MNS keepers: The Doors #7 and Angel's Breathe F2 #5. It's high praise for me to want to run anything in the same tent with my AB keeper. All hail The Doors #7!

A final word to my Doors-growing brothers Musashi, dkeppel, and andy21, keep an eye out for those haze A leaning phenos and have fun finishing your most excellent grows!

Last edited:
Nice work man!

I'm glad that you found a keeper in the pack, I know that you have very specific tastes with regards to the weed.

I am a little surprised that they aren't gigantic. I expected true sativa levels of stretch. But then again, all within 12 weeks so it is to be expected.

How long does your chosen AB keeper take?

Back