NL#5 x Afghan 400w 40" x 40" tent grow SCROG

I have a thread that I will be emulating for this, I will be basically be splitting two 400w grow tents into:

--A cut of Shit I have, if you check my thread it's Shit #3, this will take up approx. half of one tent.

--Probably 2 Mango x Widow females from seeds popped along with these seeds. This will probably be 2 plants, taking up the other half of the Shit tent, and probably about a third of the other tent.

--And finally the NL#5 x Afghan will take up about 2/3's of the tent with the Mango x Widow.

Some quick pix:

These seeds are crazy vigorous!

Thanks for stopping by and may your garden stay ever-green,
HolyMountain

Well nothing complicated, just a picture update plus some words. 3 of 4 are totally above ground. These seeds are very vigorous. I'm very very excited to see how these plants pan out.:D

Thanks for stopping by,
HM

Last edited:
Nicesssss...All great things HolyMoutain! This should be fun to watch:D\
You using the 400 from beginning to end..? What kinda set up are they in?

-SD

Originally posted by Smoke Dream
Nicesssss...All great things HolyMoutain! This should be fun to watch
You using the 400 from beginning to end..? What kinda set up are they in?
-SD

I was using a T8 shop light in order to get them big enough for the 400w. Otherwise I was vegging entirely under the CMH. The setup is a 40" x 40" tent with a 400w CMH under a standard batwing reflector. For cooling the setup I have a S&P TD-150 hooked up to a Can 33 carbon scrubber for odor. I'm currently in 3 gallon poly bags, they are in LC's soiless mix # 1 with bone meal, kelp meal, and blood meal for fertilizer. I'm just using water and molasses otherwise from beginning to end. Sorry, no MODScrog unless I get a bunch of motivation within the next couple days. I will definitely be bending the plants as needed though just to keep them out of the lights--I think in this case those plastic coated paper-clips will be my new best friend.

Originally posted by budluver
Sounds good..looking forward to it..peace BL
Thanks for stopping by mate!

I'm actually now 3 days into flowering. I'm growing these alongside two Mango x Widow plants. The updates will be much more frequent from this point forward, I've just been horrendously busy with my day life and have been rendered unable to post otherwise for the most part. Especially now we should have a bit more of a show considering the triggered flowering. I can already tell these will be some fat buds. Only negative thing noted so far is a bit of leaf clawing, I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it though.

I plan on taking the bottom 2 nodes within the next week just to keep the foliage at soil level to a minimum--also this will give me a chance to take 4 clones of each NL#5 x Afghan plant.

And finally some pictures!

Thanks for stopping by everybody,
HolyMountain

Update

A bit of an update on my garden.

#3 seems to be a bit stockier and short, she will be the quickest to finish I believe. Her bud production has started earlier than the rest of the bunch (One other NL#5 x Afghan and 2x Mango x Widow).

#1 seems to have tremendous vigor. After I transplanted into the 3 gallons she took off into the lights. I actually had to supercrop her in order to keep her uniform with the rest of the gang. I can tell already if she pulls through her infestation, she will make a lot of quality bud. Speaking of infestation, I introduced a potato wedge 3 days ago to check for Fungus Gnats in the soil level because I was able to see a pest infestation. I don't quite what the next course of action will be, but I'm going to sterilize the grow area and try to use some safe pesticides if at all possible (so far just have Neem Oil though). I'm hoping she will pull through as she is a prime specimen. I've also cut back on watering this plant as frequently as watering too frequently leads to pest problems, or so I've heard.

Any suggestions would be more than appreciated, as I've never had to deal with pest problems before.

Thanks for stopping by,
HolyMountain

Hey hey now,,,it's been a month...
How's it going with this report??

I have this strain coming and am very interested...

Pics..update...

Sorry for the lack of updates

Hey Cabron, thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been really busy with my academic schedule lately and it's left little time for my updates.

Everything is going relatively well in the garden. Both of my NL #5 x Afghans seem to be dealing with the nutrients pretty well, but they definitely are showing some deficiencies and I believe some pH lockout. I am using bone,blood, and kelp in the soil (straight water + Black Strap molasses) and will be doing guano teas next harvest (used it with my Shits with fabulous results). I am running this beside Mango x Widow and I would say that NL #5 x Afghan deals better with higher EC feedings than the Mango x Widow.

So far the smell of both plants seem to be very mild, but on the very sweet side none the less. A friend and I took a blind smell test and we both came up with the aroma of berries--I smelt a very sweet strawberry (almost cough syrup strawberry when taking into account the additional stench) while my cohort smelled light berries and a hint of blueberry. I don't know how typical these results are with this strain, but it really is a pleaser in almost every aspect. Can't wait until these come down and I'm able to smoke um--I will also be making bubble hash with the trim and I'm hoping this will make some very narcotic bubble.

In the past week both NL's shot out additional pistils like no other, so there is a good mix of fresh and amber pistils on the buds. I'm going to let these go pretty long and hopefully chop on day 70 (currently day 45) in order to get some slight THC degradation (will be checking for some amber tric's with my microscope) resulting in a very heavy night-time smoke.

A couple pictures:

Thanks for stopping by everybody,
HolyMountain

Quick update with some pretty nice macros.

These plants are truly bulking up, I've had to exercise use of plastic coated paper clips to keep certain buds propped upright (some stems are binding under their own weight). These are really producing some trichomes!

Thanks for stopping by all,
HolyMountain

Well, I haven't updated my forum in a bit, so here you go!

Pictures first:
Taken November 7th, 2010 (both #1 and #3)

Taken November 12th, 2010 (Day 65) (ONLY #3)

Taken November 15th, 2010 (Only #1)

Well, as you can see a lot has happened! I chopped NL#5 x Afghan #3 on day 65 of flowering, and it's drying as we speak. I plan to chop NL#5 x Afghan #1 on day 70 of flowering. As you can see #1 has varying degrees of purple all throughout the plant, but it is still dominantly green. The scent on this girl is very subtlety sweet with hints of berry and an undertone of rank/stink. I suppose we shall just have to see what sort of flavors develop as the drying and curing process proceeds though.

Things are starting to look pretty tasty, I cannot wait to treat myself to the first stony bowl of this stuff. Should be some major couchlock (especially #1 as it is going 70 days). I made some bubble hash (Only have the 3 bag system though so it has contaminants) with just the trim of #3, initial impressions were that it was very strong and indica. I'm hoping to get a 160 micron contamination bag and either a 45 or 90 micron bag within the next couple weeks--I believe this should improve the quality greatly.

Thanks for checking up everybody,
HolyMountain

First Run Done!!

Well, I haven't posted in a good while--but that's only been because I've been hard at work chopping my fair ladies down.:D

Some pictures of NL#5xAfghan #1:

More to come in a little bit--unfortunately I had to chop up the big nugget for jar curing purposes, so she isn't as bulky as she was. Expect some macros around the one month cure date with an accompanying smoke report for NL#5 x Afghan #1 and #3;)

Moving right along...next in line:
If you look at the beginning of the thread you will remember there was NL#5 x Afghan #2 that was a female in my batch, but I did not have room to grow her out with her sisters #1 and #3(run 1). But now I do!

Back to what I did with my Shit run--Scrog! This run instead of a MOD-Scrog I did a large plant under my fluorescents until it was ready for the 400w. Today is day five of flowering--day one was November 27th.

So far the best in the batch I've grown is #1, but #2 might give her a run for her money! I will run the clones one more generation before I make final selection as I ran the seed plants for all three. I'm also getting the strain dialed in, hopefully after a couple crops I will get some lush plants. For this current batch I'm using LC's soilless mix #1 (EW castings, perlite, peat moss w/ dolomite lime with no bone, kelp, or blood this run) with water+black strap molasses. I will introduce flowering teas (guano+kelp) at a rate of about once every 3 to 4 waterings depending on how the girls respond.

Looking forward to the future!
HolyMountain

Well, I haven't posted in a good while--but that's only been because I've been hard at work chopping my fair ladies down.:D

Some pictures of NL#5xAfghan #1:

More to come in a little bit--unfortunately I had to chop up the big nugget for jar curing purposes, so she isn't as bulky as she was. Expect some macros around the one month cure date with an accompanying smoke report for NL#5 x Afghan #1 and #3;)

Moving right along...next in line:
If you look at the beginning of the thread you will remember there was NL#5 x Afghan #2 that was a female in my batch, but I did not have room to grow her out with her sisters #1 and #3(run 1). But now I do!

Back to what I did with my Shit run--Scrog! This run instead of a MOD-Scrog I did a large plant under my fluorescents until it was ready for the 400w. Today is day five of flowering--day one was November 27th.

So far the best in the batch I've grown is #1, but #2 might give her a run for her money! I will run the clones one more generation before I make final selection as I ran the seed plants for all three. I'm also getting the strain dialed in, hopefully after a couple crops I will get some lush plants. For this current batch I'm using LC's soilless mix #1 (EW castings, perlite, peat moss w/ dolomite lime with no bone, kelp, or blood this run) with water+black strap molasses. I will introduce flowering teas (guano+kelp) at a rate of about once every 3 to 4 waterings depending on how the girls respond.

Looking forward to the future!
HolyMountain

Looking gorgeous! Sounds like you need some bigger jars brother ;) LOL

Haha thank you very much Ouchie, I take that as a compliment of the highest regard! Your Mango x Widow and Neville's Skunk look beyond spectacular--I'm thinking of picking up some Nev's Skunk and redoing a couple more Mango x Widow to try to find a less fussy keeper.

Well, the show goes on:

I've found that my #2 selection is less potent than my #1 and #3 selections (first cycle), so I got rid of the #2 mom. Now I just have to hone down my selection between 1 and 3.

I figure I will start posting regular grow journals again once I get some more selection going. In about a months time I will get some ASH to play with:D. I'm currently working with 9 seedlings of Cannacopia DeepChunk x C99, they will be sexed by the time I get the ASH so I may throw up a couple of pictures if it perks anybody's interest. I'm not hoping for too much out of the DCxC99, but at around 30 USD a pack, I couldn't pass it up. Additionally, a bit later in the early summer--if conditions provide, (AC to cool my room) I will pop some SSH and finally do some proper selection with her. I think I've gotten my room dialed in enough where I feel comfortable making that plunge. :D

Thanks for stopping by,
HolyMountain

Great grow journal -thanks for posting it! Speaking of C99 x DC, Coop has posted on here pics of a really nice specimen of this (verrry resinous) - can't remember where, though...

thanks for sharing, i'm enjoying your thread.

how's the stone on your NL5/Afg number's 1 and 3? anything stand out about the experience?

good job on the grow.

This plants seems very nice to me.Cant say which parent dominates,guess 50:50.Certainly keep it coming..

Update

suburban Great grow journal -thanks for posting it! Speaking of C99 x DC, Coop has posted on here pics of a really nice specimen of this (verrry resinous) - can't remember where, though...

You are quite welcome! I'm very excited to see how the DCx99 turns out, (never had either DeepChunk or Cinderella99) I'm looking forward to hopefully a couple different pheno's in my batch of seeds to represent the aromas of both plants. Upon hearing that MNS user coop has run DC99, I spent a couple minutes searching and got the following link to some nice plants: MNS Forums - coop's Albums
A couple inspiring threads I remembered seeing on Icmag when I frequented:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=175932
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=186704

As much as I've heard other members experience the DC dominance, I'm still going to run it in hopes of finding a plant with some nice C99 characteristics.

multistrain_gardener thanks for sharing, i'm enjoying your thread. how's the stone on your NL5/Afg number's 1 and 3? anything stand out about the experience? good job on the grow.

Glad to hear it mate! I've noticed that the picking time makes a difference in the overall effects of the smoke: at 55 days it was slightly more clearheaded than the 65 and 70 day range. I would rate the stone somewhere between a 7.5-8. To put that into perspective: my keeper Mango x Widow has a potency of about an 8-8.5, and my Shit cutting a 7-7.5. I have to admit I'm naturally inclined towards sativa's, so I'm a bit biased though. As far as indica's go, I would say NL#5xAf is a champ for delivering a nice strong stone.
In addition, I've found this plant to have quite the medicinal qualities. In particular, I gave a friend some of this cannabis and he said it significantly helped his neuropathic pain (he has the back and knees of a man double his age:(). Though the flavor and bouquet is very subtle, it becomes more pronounced after a short cure. Overall it's strong hashy earthy smoke with undertones of berries. I figure both of the parents make it very heavy smoke, it leaves a little tickle in the back of my nose sometimes on larger exhales.
As far as growth structure goes, they were both really a dream and a breeze. Typical squat indica growth so I vegged them for a bit longer (employing the screens in some cases)--responds well to stress, but some phenotypes better than others (#2 didn't handle the stress quite as well). Very hardy growth and takes nutrients well, not very fussy plants at all. Also very aesthetically pleasing. #3 has pink pistils in late veg when sexually mature and well into the first month of flowering, additionally both plants exhibited some purpling over the cooler months when night temperature really dropped.

nhg4 This plants seems very nice to me.Cant say which parent dominates,guess 50:50.Certainly keep it coming..
She really is quite the nice keeper to have in your garden! :) I can't even begin to guess at which side it seems more dom. on--in fact, I'm very interested in learning the lineage of this. I was initially sold on the cross on the pure novelty of having NL#5 genetics from seed stock based on the Neville Seed Bank plants (if I'm not mistaken?) that shanti was keeping above his fireplace for quite some time. Not in the loop as far as what afghan was used for this cross. One of these days I will probably attempt to pm shanti and see if I can get some lineage description and description of the strain overall with additional permission that I can post said pm. It definitely does look like a pretty even distribution though! Thanks for stopping by nhg4

Thanks everybody,
HolyMountain

Sensimilla13 Thanks for stopping by brother!

BucketBong Thank you very much!

Cheers to everybody, and thanks for stopping by :)
HolyMountain

" As far as indica's go, I would say NL#5xAf is a champ for delivering a nice strong stone. "

Where both your phenos strong? that's encouraging - I've had two NL5AF females - one was a sativa high of mild to moderate strength - the other near inactive - I've been dreading what the unsexed seedlings will bring...I know two females isn't much to base on but it's been a real waste of precious space so far and I am just praying It turns a bit out a bit better :(

Of the three females I selected from, my two keepers were pretty strong (#1 and #3). The third one (#2) was potent, but probably more on par with my Shit cutting--what it lacked in potency it made up for in vigor, though. I ultimately selected and kept clone stock of #1 because it's the best mixture of potency and yield.

Best of luck on finding a nice potent keeper Tieguanyin!!
Hm

Back