NL#5 in Ortega

Maybe it's the cabin fever from this covid stuff or could it be something in the air or water? Or perhaps the hormones they put in our food causing gynecomastia that's got everyone whingy...
FYI- OP has requested thread be deleted and considering the lack of real information, perhaps it is best.

🤙 Mu

Hi All

Snuck away for a week to Spain to meet and greet some friends and the CBD Angels, so did not follow what has been going on. But obviously people are not being pleasant with one another over a side of a story again....in short! So if this continues without decorum Musashi will be getting pushed into banning's. We all know the most basic of rules, treat others how you wish to be treated....otherwise we are left with threads looking like Muhammed Ali came in to knock heads. Keep emotions and beliefs as civil as possible with our fellow growers please. All the best Shantibaba

I have no leg in this race, but I am excited to be going through all the "new" old stock north American and Shanti's NL5 stuff with some friends all at the same time. gonna see who is legit and who bought shanti's seeds, did some line work and went to market.

The word is that SB's Ortega selection was made from old '80's Nevil (NL#1 x NL#5) seeds. Shanti revived the old work Nevil started but hadn't completed before he returned to Australia. Ortega is an inbred line not an F1. I also understand that there was no Thai in either of those NL iterations. "NL1 with NL5 was a deep indica plant."
Hopefully, SB will soon revive more of the old "lost" varieties from the seeds retrieved from the back of the fridge.

🤙 Mu

The word is that SB's Ortega selection was made from old '80's Nevil (NL#1 x NL#5) seeds. Shanti revived the old work Nevil started but hadn't completed before he returned to Australia. Ortega is an inbred line not an F1. I also understand that there was no Thai in either of those NL iterations. "NL1 with NL5 was a deep indica plant."
Hopefully, SB will soon revive more of the old "lost" varieties from the seeds retrieved from the back of the fridge.

🤙 Mu
Thanks for that Mu. I always wanted to know whether Ortega was inbred or not, it was never clear to me :)

🤙 Mu

I have been wondering about the alleged Thai component in NL5. I'm sure I've read in numerous places over the years (books, magazines, online strain bases, etc.) that NL5 was 20% Thai sativa, 80% Afghani. Glad to finally have that cleared up, after all these years. Thanks musashi!

Cheers! - FF

I have been wondering about the alleged Thai component in NL5. I'm sure I've read in numerous places over the years (books, magazines, online strain bases, etc.) that NL5 was 20% Thai sativa, 80% Afghani. Glad to finally have that cleared up, after all these years. Thanks musashi!

Cheers! - FF
Maybe that came from a great crossing made using nl5. Namely nl5 ×Haze. Which produced some great strains

Cheers! - FF
I no longer participate in the RIU forum but a couple years ago the asshat from Authentic Genetics posted a fluff/marketing piece on the history of Northern Lights, trying to hawk his seeds. With my Bullshit Detector pegged in the red, I did a deep dive into my old archives for everything that I had saved over the years on Northern Lights, both in this forum and IC Mag. If you are interested in what the people who developed Northern Lights actually wrote in forum posts about its development (most of which have been deleted both here and on IC Mag), check out this link, but I most assuredly don't recommend this over-moderated, newbie run forum:

It's a hell of a long read, but these are cut and paste quotes _directly_ from NL Seattle Greg and Nevil. If you have the patience to wade through it all, what you'll find is that older people's memory is sometimes not totally accurate, to say the least. Both Neville and NL Seattle Greg posted varying and conflicting accounts on the exact nature of the numbering system, how they obtain seeds, etc.

As someone who has worked exclusively with Sensi's Northern Lights for almost 25 years now, here's what I know: Sensi's Northern Lights was a combo of #2 and #5 that was directly and actively worked by Nevil. Exactly where he sourced #5 is anybody's guess, given the conflicting stories that have been posted but the fact that he tried to back door NL Seattle Greg to get additional #5 seeds leads me to believe that if Nevil couldn't obtain pure #5 seeds, then nobody could. That's why I always chuckle and laugh when I see specific Northern Lights numbers being marketed/hawked by seed slingers, they're almost always... For Boomers, By Boomers.

So try not to get caught up in all the numbering categories and associated bullshit because the actual, certifiable Northern Lights numbers have been long gone, for many decades now.

There was a thread here on Mr. Nice by a former admin, the nym of JeSSe, who posted an extensive thread on Northern Lights back in the day but the thread may have been pulled, can't find it right now.

One of the things that I've always respected about Shanti is that if anybody had a right to glom on and use the names of famous strains of cannabis, it would be him. Yet when he split off on his own, he didn't use the names he actually created, to sell and market his products. He renamed them.

That takes a very special man.

Last edited:

It's a hell of a long read, but these are cut and paste quotes _directly_ from NL Seattle Greg and Nevil.

There was a thread here on Mr. Nice by a former admin, the nym of JeSSe, who posted an extensive thread on Northern Lights back in the day but the thread may have been pulled, can't find it right now.

Thanks for the leads! Much appreciated. Will follow them.

Cheers! - FF

Reactions: Ray
Back