NL#2

Any updates @Deach69 ???

My understanding is that there's 2 cuts(?) of R2, an NL#2 and a Skunk × NL#2. I'm curious to see what the original cut is supposed to be.

K, so, I'll try to clarify this. There are many R2's out there, I recently met someone who collects them. First, there is the original, a guy named Ron got 2 seeds somehow, many years ago, and one of them made the grade. I'll refer to this one as (R)R2 (I'm still waiting for the call to interview this guy). Then I've also been talking about the R2 that dehash bred to what he considered to the NL2 he remembered of days of SSSC. I'll refer to this one as (D)R2. All the rest out there would've been bred with other strains to (R)R2 and most people out there holding cuts think they have the original (R)R2.

So one day, this guy we refer to as D (not me BTW) , who lives about 5 hours north of me, smokes a joint and recognizes it as being or containing NL2. D spent a bit of time in Europe with Nevil at some point, which is how he got to know NL2. He tracked it down and found it was referred to as R2, then bred it out to what he considers the model NL2 plant, in seed form. I'm not sure if he has a main mother plant or if he is just working with the seeds he has developed. I gave him what I understand to be the (R)R2 clone so he could incorporate it into his genepool.

So then there's the (R)R2, which I have access to. I've mentioned a bit of the history within this thread, but all I really know is not firsthand knowledge. The guy who got me the cuts, is apparently a close buddy of Ron, and told me he would set me up with an interview someday, so I could get the story straight (I've been waiting over a month now, even though it's legal, were still talking about your usual paranoid dopers, so fingers crossed). D, in his opinion, believes there so be some Skunk somewhere within the R2's he has come across. So, my main question to Ron will be where the seeds came from and what they were called. Did Ron have Pure NL2 and mix it with Skunk, did he purchase pre bred NL2 x Sk, or is it even those strains? As we see quite often in this forum, there are some things we will never ever really know for sure, regardless of what who ever says. I am just reporting I guess, for the sake of a strain I consider historically important, that is all. Theres nothing I could ever gain by twisting any truth. Don't shoot the messenger please :)

messages_0(17).jpegmessages_0(18).jpegmessages_0(19).jpeg

K, so, I'll try to clarify this. There are many R2's out there, I recently met someone who collects them. First, there is the original, a guy named Ron got 2 seeds somehow, many years ago, and one of them made the grade. I'll refer to this one as (R)R2 (I'm still waiting for the call to interview this guy). Then I've also been talking about the R2 that dehash bred to what he considered to the NL2 he remembered of days of SSSC. I'll refer to this one as (D)R2. All the rest out there would've been bred with other strains to (R)R2 and most people out there holding cuts think they have the original (R)R2.

So one day, this guy we refer to as D (not me BTW) , who lives about 5 hours north of me, smokes a joint and recognizes it as being or containing NL2. D spent a bit of time in Europe with Nevil at some point, which is how he got to know NL2. He tracked it down and found it was referred to as R2, then bred it out to what he considers the model NL2 plant, in seed form. I'm not sure if he has a main mother plant or if he is just working with the seeds he has developed. I gave him what I understand to be the (R)R2 clone so he could incorporate it into his genepool.

So then there's the (R)R2, which I have access to. I've mentioned a bit of the history within this thread, but all I really know is not firsthand knowledge. The guy who got me the cuts, is apparently a close buddy of Ron, and told me he would set me up with an interview someday, so I could get the story straight (I've been waiting over a month now, even though it's legal, were still talking about your usual paranoid dopers, so fingers crossed). D, in his opinion, believes there so be some Skunk somewhere within the R2's he has come across. So, my main question to Ron will be where the seeds came from and what they were called. Did Ron have Pure NL2 and mix it with Skunk, did he purchase pre bred NL2 x Sk, or is it even those strains? As we see quite often in this forum, there are some things we will never ever really know for sure, regardless of what who ever says. I am just reporting I guess, for the sake of a strain I consider historically important, that is all. Theres nothing I could ever gain by twisting any truth. Don't shoot the messenger please :)

View attachment 54164View attachment 54165View attachment 54166
Great post. Answered so many questions that I had.

I believe I'm done with the R2. Could there be an advantage to giving it a long slow death indoors, in the dark? It's in a fabric pot, I could make a dark room for it in the barn.

@Deach69 said: "Could there be an advantage to giving it a long slow death indoors, in the dark? It's in a fabric pot, I could make a dark room for it in the barn."

Hello Deach69!

There are many theories about this but I don't have first hand experience to say anything to help you make a good decision with a favorable outcome on this. Here is one theory:

"Yet another theory says that at night sugars and starches travel from the above-ground part of a plant to the root zone and are stored there for future use. Now sugars and starches aren’t something that improves the quality of the smoke. On the contrary, they make it harsh and the taste unpleasant. To get rid of these unwanted substances (and the chlorophyll) growers slowly dry and cure their buds for several weeks. However, you can do the same with the long dark phase before harvest. At least, partly."

This year I set my lights to stop coming on this past Tuesday morning. I was going to harvest then(good sound theories for this) but life got in the damn way and I was not able to harvest until late Thursday afternoon! So they were in the dark for close to 3 days. I have not seen anything about them going more than 3 days in the dark. "As we already mentioned, experiments have confirmed the efficacy of 72 hours, or 3 days." They are hanging now so I will know in a few months if a couple of days in the dark had any noticeable effect on them.

Below is an article on it. While I don't have a betting opinion on it yet, I have not seen Shantibaba or musashi weight in on the subject so I suspect it is not needed. I rarely smoke anything before 3-4 months of curing so whatever the darkness would have done has mostly likely been done by my curing time. Cerainly willing to hear anyone with experience on this! Interested to see what you do! :)

https://weedkb.com/dark-before-harvest/

(EDIT) I suspect knowing how to use a brix meter will eliminate the need for any extended dark time at harvest. Never used one but I won't be able to say that before long! ;)

Longball

Back