Musashi's Kitchen Fire

Ever try light dep with long flowering sativas. Can be done with a large box to place over plant to give 12hr darkness for a few weeks just after the equinox until the hours are about 13hrs of darkness and it should finish in time if you start July 1st
I did that with a Mexican Haze a few years ago. Not the box method, i just put them in flower straight away from clone to reduce their height from july 1st and put them in the dark bathroom at 18.00 until its dark outside than bring them out again. Its amazing how much faster they finish outdoors compared to indoors when flowered at the right time in the more intense months Top class smoke too!.

I did that with a Mexican Haze a few years ago. Not the box method, i just put them in flower straight away from clone to reduce their height from july 1st and put them in the dark bathroom at 18.00 until its dark outside than bring them out again. Its amazing how much faster they finish outdoors compared to indoors when flowered at the right time in the more intense months Top class smoke too!.
The box can only work on a small plant building a little trellis over a large plant so you can drape a tarp over it for plants you can't move .

Aloha!
Here's a few pics of the wizard. I've got a lot of plants to pot up but lately soil in my area has been depleted, so I will probably flower all the seedlings in 3.5 gal pots using partially recycled soil. Besides the lack of soil availabilty, I reason that once I decide what to keep, they will go into larger containers come the second round, hopefully in clean soil. As mentioned earlier, I will attempt a pollination of this hybrid (Diesel x LaNina).
wiz1 1_18.jpg
wiz2 1_18.jpg

🤙mu

Aloha everyone!

Not yet a week since last post and they are going like gang busters. I can already smell stinkiness in The Stones. They are the last 4 rows in the back. Everyone was neemed this morning as I found a few thrips on 2 of the larger plants.
stones grp 1_24.jpg

A few of The Stones
stones1 1_24.jpgStones2 1_24.jpg

The MoX is coming back. Leaves are greening up save for some chlorotic spots that remain.
mox 1_24.jpg

The Neville's Haze wannabe. A mystery coming from an extra seed in a pot.
NH wannabe 1_24.jpg

Side by side with another Nev's
side by side NH 1_24.jpg

🤙mu

Smellin like food in here, I just had to stick my nose in. hehe
I'm pretty sure adding a little bit of bone meal to the soil will fix the leaves in the future.
Looks like she mighta gobbled up N at a faster rate, offsetting the ratio,
leaving it slightly deficient in P(?). But take what I say with a grain of salt, of course. :)

Last edited:
Aloha everyone!

Getting close to sexing time for the seedlings. The Northern Widows, Holy Grails and MoX are already 4 feet so I need to get this show on the road soon. Here's the inventory.
3 Neville's Haze and a cowbird. I'm guessing that when I dropped the Stones seeds on the kitchen floor, perhaps one of them bounced into one the the pots that were close by. That's the latest guess anyway lol. Clearly not NH.
nh 1_31.jpg

The Wizards are fairly uniform and as I recall they get quite frosty bc of that LaNina dad.
wizard 1_31.jpg

The Stones have a good mix of phenotype and I look forward to smoking MKS with the Haze AC kicker.
stones1 1_31.jpgstones2 1_31.jpg

The MoX is a sturdy plant and while I don't want to top her, I've seen her get to 12' before so will probably do some LST here as I wait for the seedlings to catch up lol.
mox 1_31.jpg

The Northern Widows #2, #3, #6 look a bit different this round. I think Shanti was right about stress during the last grow. Was it the temp fluctuation? Old damp soil that was used? New lights? Whatever, they look like entirely different phenotypes today. As potent as they are in the bottle, I anticipate this crop will be much better. They've had two IPM sprays to get rid of thrips so far. Still on the look out for them. Cardinal sin- going outside to drop off used pots and then finding myself in the grow room later, my guess as to where they came from. Oblivious, well bc I was smoking Northern Widow lol.
NW#3
nw#3 1_31.jpg

NW#2
nw#2 1_31.jpg

NW#6
nw#6 1_31.jpg

Finally, clones are coming along. HG #2(3), #3(2), MoX(5).
clones 1_31.jpg

🤙mu

Aloha everyone!

Another week has gone by and the ingredients are coming together, cooking up quite nicely. The addition of an oil heater in the room has kept a nice simmer with temps around 75F. Humidity is stabilizing with more biomass in the room. Still at 18/6, the main entrees, the MoX and Holy Grail are close to 5 feet already with the Northern Widows not too far behind, making me a little nervous. I admit, my timing of clones and seedlings was a little off haha. I hate cutting the tops off of these majestic sativas and will do my best to LST. Don't know if it is the new lights or the soil amendments but the stems are massive this go-round and might as well be rebar lol. I'ma gonna have my hands full as the Stones (17), NH (3), Wizard seedlings (10) are unrelenting in their growth, requiring >2+ gal/day H2O. In a word, everything is popping!

I am convinced that the large fan leaf necrosis on the larger plants was due to an IPM spray that was a little too hot. The next couple of days will see the new MoX and HG clones relocated to another room as I switch to 14/12 in the main room to begin the sex search with the remaining plants. Betcha can't spot the Neville's Haze lol.

seedlings 2_7.jpgSEEDLINGS 2_6.jpg

🤙mu

Aloha everyone!

Lights went to 12/12 two days ago on the 9th. Yesterday all plants were bottom trimmed and the larger plants especially the overgrown Holy Grails got some serious pruning, opening up the plant and getting rid of all the crossers. They also had a good shower (attention to topsoil) of neem/silicate as the gnats are showing up and also to get rid of what remains of the thrips. These are some thirsty plants, guzzling water every day. Nice to get my room humidity in line.
These pics are 2 days apart. As you can see, since going to 12/12, these young girls waste no time in their social climb. The taller Nev gained 4+ inches in this time. God, I hope it is a female as she/he has a structure that's most appealing.

seedlings 2_9.jpg
seedlings 2_11.jpg

🤙mu

Aloha everyone!

Another week has gone by and the ingredients are coming together, cooking up quite nicely. The addition of an oil heater in the room has kept a nice simmer with temps around 75F. Humidity is stabilizing with more biomass in the room. Still at 18/6, the main entrees, the MoX and Holy Grail are close to 5 feet already with the Northern Widows not too far behind, making me a little nervous. I admit, my timing of clones and seedlings was a little off haha. I hate cutting the tops off of these majestic sativas and will do my best to LST. Don't know if it is the new lights or the soil amendments but the stems are massive this go-round and might as well be rebar lol. I'ma gonna have my hands full as the Stones (17), NH (3), Wizard seedlings (10) are unrelenting in their growth, requiring >2+ gal/day H2O. In a word, everything is popping!

I am convinced that the large fan leaf necrosis on the larger plants was due to an IPM spray that was a little too hot. The next couple of days will see the new MoX and HG clones relocated to another room as I switch to 14/12 in the main room to begin the sex search with the remaining plants. Betcha can't spot the Neville's Haze lol.

View attachment 58478View attachment 58479

🤙mu
Just to confirm mu is that actually 14 off an 12 on you do ? Or is that a mistake that should be 14 off an 10 on. I heard about different times outside the normal 24h day but never seen them documented like that properly. Looking great an very bushy, should be a sight to see once they get going in flower.

Aloha @#NightMare#!
Hahaha brah! Thanks for catching me in the act---- of smoking Northern Widow and thinking two things at once and writing down the combination. What I meant to say was 14 on/10 off. When I have the window of time, I begin a light reduction from 16 to 12 hrs. on. With some showing initially, they will get potted and have an earlier start in larger pots. The ones that show later get potted accordingly. This spaced out all the up-potting, saving my back and maximizing time in the bigger pots for the early showers. As it turned out, time and different size considerations (sativas at 5' in veg eek!), I decided to just get the show on the road. So I am at 12/12 precisely now, I thinks. Thanks for having my back braddah!

🤙mu

Aloha @#NightMare#!
Hahaha brah! Thanks for catching me in the act---- of smoking Northern Widow and thinking two things at once and writing down the combination. What I meant to say was 14 on/10 off. When I have the window of time, I begin a light reduction from 16 to 12 hrs. on. With some showing initially, they will get potted and have an earlier start in larger pots. The ones that show later get potted accordingly. This spaced out all the up-potting, saving my back and maximizing time in the bigger pots for the early showers. As it turned out, time and different size considerations (sativas at 5' in veg eek!), I decided to just get the show on the road. So I am at 12/12 precisely now, I thinks. Thanks for having my back braddah!

🤙mu
An interesting thought crossed my mind . What if you flower with a 14 on 12 off cycle . Wouldn't the extra hours of light create increased yield through more time for photosynthesis? Only downside more electricity used .

Yup sorta what I am saying is as long as it gets 12hrs of dark they will continue to flower . But will the extra 2 hrs of light give more yield?
ah yea i see what u saying that u go every day is half from one day and another then u could say 12 dark and then14 on i got it now intresting to know whould be if this extra time u put into gives extra waight i could be true when u look at autoflower and they are capable of peforming in 6 week flower what photos do in 9 and then u and if you calculate the hours against how long each light was on, you get almost the same values as the autos are on for 20h for 6 weeks and the photos 12 on for 3 weeks longer and the energy brought in by the light on the canopy is the same so at the end is what maters the energy u give the canopi in par whas it? and of long is a plant capable of useing this energy until she needs rest

Last edited:
I get what you are saying braddahs as there are studies confirming the importance of light for photosynthesis. Just as important is the dark cycle for plant growth. I like what you posted @Islandgrower re: Organics vs Synthetics and agree with everything he says. Cannabis studies show the plants enhanced capacity for light absorbance making a case for light intensity and duration, and its impact on yield. More importantly, ePAR is an important concept as regards to the quality of light and the acceptance of a fuller spectrum. It is this quality of light we aspire to. That is the beauty of the newer "fuller" spectrum LED lights.
All things being equal, the importance of darkness in the finishing of equatorials within a certain time frame is critical IME. My opinions may appear larger or smaller than...

🤙mu

I get what you are saying braddahs as there are studies confirming the importance of light for photosynthesis. Just as important is the dark cycle for plant growth. I like what you posted @Islandgrower re: Organics vs Synthetics and agree with everything he says. Cannabis studies show the plants enhanced capacity for light absorbance making a case for light intensity and duration, and its impact on yield. More importantly, ePAR is an important concept as regards to the quality of light and the acceptance of a fuller spectrum. It is this quality of light we aspire to. That is the beauty of the newer "fuller" spectrum LED lights.
All things being equal, the importance of darkness in the finishing of equatorials within a certain time frame is critical IME. My opinions may appear larger or smaller than...

🤙mu
I believe PAR and colour spectrum to be two majorly over looked values when growing sativas indoors. I haven’t made the leap to LED’s yet but seen some plants do some pretty cool things under HQI coral lights with 10,000K spectrum.

Back