mother plant from fem seed?

teatime

greets to u all! i am thinking to grow a mother plant for clones from the feminized seeds.. any one try it? i heard that is not good to clone from fem seeds plants..if any one try it please share ur experience!

greets to u all! i am thinking to grow a mother plant for clones from the feminized seeds.. any one try it? i heard that is not good to clone from fem seeds plants..if any one try it please share ur experience!

You can clone any plant you want. Being a fem makes zero difference.

Only auto fems can't be kept as mothers. Some say you are more likely to get hermies from fems I haven't grown enough fems to make that claim though. Regular or fem as long as she don't throw any nanners and is amazing quality she is mother material. I would not breed with a fem mother though it's been done some successful some always throw nanners like GSC and many other clone only lines which come from fems of fems bagseed whatever. Still many solid clone only's though probably mostly from good breeding practices.

But nothing is set in stone we are still learning about the breeding of cannabis. Even the whole terpines for different highs is very debatable it's likely that sativa just has different cannabinoids and levels than indica's, hybrids. Still so much we haven't learned I still love my terpines though who doesn't like a few mothers of amazing tasting terpine profiles?

You can clone any plant you want. Being a fem makes zero difference.

That is not correct at all.

Yes you can most definitely use a feminized seedplant as a mother. And it will clone etc. just as normal.

BUT

It will carry the hermy genetics with it and therefore all clones will too.

I am not sure if clones of fem moms have a higher tendency to hermy or anything but they are hermies and you need to be aware of that.

So if you were using a feminized seedplant as a mother to take clones, beware that it could hermy at any time during the grow and pollinate your other plants. The seeds created in this manner would be hermy prone as well.

But as long as you are aware of this potential downside and do not mind it, nothing keeps you from turning a feminized seedplant into a mother.

Only autos cannot be kept in this manner, like bluntmassa mentioned, as they start flowering after a certain period of time, no matter what.

I have a femmed Amnesia mother that has been with me for 5 years now and she has been as solid as a rock. Some of the crops from this mother have been stressed but I have never found a single seed in the crop.

norty

That is not correct at all.

Yes you can most definitely use a feminized seedplant as a mother. And it will clone etc. just as normal.

BUT

I am not sure if clones of fem moms have a higher tendency to hermy or anything but they are hermies and you need to be aware of that.

So if you were using a feminized seedplant as a mother to take clones, beware that it could hermy at any time during the grow and pollinate your other plants. The seeds created in this manner would be hermy prone as well.

But as long as you are aware of this potential downside and do not mind it, nothing keeps you from turning a feminized seedplant into a mother.

Only autos cannot be kept in this manner, like bluntmassa mentioned, as they start flowering after a certain period of time, no matter what.

G `day B

Not 100% correct .
Using silver on a female does not make it an hermaphrodite . The plant`s sex is determined before the reversal . The hormones are blocked via chemical reaction.Allowing the plant to express male flowers . The genes and DNA of the plant are not changed . Stop the silver and the plant can reveg as normal . Spray on only one branch ; only that branch reverses . Partial herm ? lol .

If the plant is a solid female it will make solid female seeds . If it is a herm it can breed herm seeds . But not always .
If the female has been stress tested and doesn`t herm . Then the chances of it throwing herms are minimal .
This is the step that most folks skip .

Years ago Soma came up with his root pruning and lengthening of flower time rhodenisation tech to find herms and make fem seeds . That was a crock of shit that spread herms and gave fem seeds a bad reputation . If the plant throws balls , its not a candidate for breeding .

Tested selected females reversed with either colloidal silver or silver thiosulphate STS produce good seeds . I have grown several crops of fems no herms . Alongside regular M/ F that did herm ?

EB .

Last edited:

maybe, maybe not. I've seen Feminized plants be stable mothers for a LONG time. IF the initial plant isn't hermie prone, the clones won't be either. I do BELIEVE that feminized plants TEND to throw more nanners and are full-fledged intersexed plants. I also wouldn't want to use them for breeding, but not because of SURE intersexed characteristics.

This is a highly debated subject....though I tend to believe the practice of feminizing is common because it saves time and effort, I PERSONALLY don't want to be troubled by POSSIBLE troubles down the road.

Brosidon I am sorry I picked your quote, but this IS NOT a cut and dried matter with all Fems IME.

That's fine, maybe I didn't express myself clearly.

I am not saying all clones from fem-plants will hermy.

I am just saying that they carry those genetics with them and have the potential to herm. This can mean that for 5 years and more you will never see a single hermy or that every single one of them herms.
Can also mean that you don't see any hermies for years but when you use it in a cross the hermy tendencies will show up etc. etc.

It's inconclusive of course but nevertheless, just be aware that it does carry hermy genetics with itself.

Or I missunderstand something here. I am aware that the common method of feminizing is the use of colloidal silver but it was my understanding that through that process, the genetics of the plant are altered permanently.

I am not aware that a feminized plant could be "returned" to the original status quo without leaving the hermy tendency as part of its genetic makeup.

That would be news to me but I never claimed to know everything :p

had several mums of fems, same thing as with regs ...
both can stay female, and both can turn hermie, some tho easier than others
until we have no "tool" for gen code inspection there is only one way to find out ... grow it, clone it, stress it or not, but use what you can, as long as you can, produce seeds in order to fix stuff

i did once a hermie deselection, its possible .. but time and space consuming, expect something in the range of 100:1 (well that was my size, of 300 n some seeds, only 3 real females came out, only 1 true male, the rest hermies)
you may wonder who is doing such crap ? ... the one who knows that: (bad x bad = good) , therefore its wise to "open up" any gentic possibility / combination, dont get me wrong that every bad cross is going to be good, no sir, thats the exception of this rule, but often enough the recessive genes will surprise you positively

It is my understanding that through proper selection and breeding, hermy tendencies can be "bred out" to an extent at least.

This is how I explain to myself how the Chemdawg line became and remained so popular. If the hermy tendencies had not been minimized through breeding over the years, I believe the Chemdawg genetics (OG Kush, GSC, Diesels, etc.) would not have become so popular.

Yet, after so many years of intense breeding and so many people laying their hands on these genetics and growing them, they do still hermy from time to time and people have just accepted it as part of the line it seems.

But from what I read of its history, the original Chemdawg must have been quite hermy prone and it does not look like its descendants today are exhibiting the same strength of hermy tendencies.

So it must be possible to reduce it but I am skeptical that it can be bred out completely and would bet that crosses made with such genetics would require a lot of work and larger numbers to reliably end up with "stable" phenotypes.

I just imagine working with these types of genetics it would happen again and again where you cross with a new strain and would have to engage in long-term work to "stablize" that new strain.
While working with stable, non-hermy genetics, would eliminate that issue alltogether.

I have 1 or two more white OG in veg, the one that was strongest and started flowering a few weeks ago turned out male. Hope one of the remaining two turns out female so I can make up my own mind as to the value of Chemdawg genetics. From what I read, heard, etc. I would not be convinced that it is worth the trouble and "tainting" your gene pool with hermy genetics.

But I might change my mind once I tried some I grew myself.

The stuff I sampled in the Netherlands (Casey Jones, NYC Diesel and OG Kush) were nothing to write home about and I would not take those genetics for their hermy tendencies over say MRN genetics. Well the NYC Diesel was actually quite awesome but not any more than the Jack Herrer I sampled back then...

Last edited:
Feminized seeds

The advantages of feminized seeds are having the capacity to plant seeds and realizing that your plants will be females so you can have a simple yield become out from seeds.Make certain to take clones from the seedlings to figure out which ones are females or guys. Blossoming your mom plants and after that changing them back to the vegetative stage will worry them, and you don't need worried mother plants.

I just imagine working with these types of genetics it would happen again and again where you cross with a new strain and would have to engage in long-term work to "stablize" that new strain.
While working with stable, non-hermy genetics, would eliminate that issue alltogether.

its well known and documented that thai strains can keep their "balls" hidden up to F10 , and then bam suddenly some rezessive genes turn on and you are again at F1 - meaning hermies, of a once thought to be not hermie line

It is my understanding that through proper selection and breeding, hermy tendencies can be "bred out" to an extent at least.

This is how I explain to myself how the Chemdawg line became and remained so popular. If the hermy tendencies had not been minimized through breeding over the years, I believe the Chemdawg genetics (OG Kush, GSC, Diesels, etc.) would not have become so popular.

Yet, after so many years of intense breeding and so many people laying their hands on these genetics and growing them, they do still hermy from time to time and people have just accepted it as part of the line it seems.

But from what I read of its history, the original Chemdawg must have been quite hermy prone and it does not look like its descendants today are exhibiting the same strength of hermy tendencies.

So it must be possible to reduce it but I am skeptical that it can be bred out completely and would bet that crosses made with such genetics would require a lot of work and larger numbers to reliably end up with "stable" phenotypes.

I have 1 or two more white OG in veg, the one that was strongest and started flowering a few weeks ago turned out male. Hope one of the remaining two turns out female so I can make up my own mind as to the value of Chemdawg genetics. From what I read, heard, etc. I would not be convinced that it is worth the trouble and "tainting" your gene pool with hermy genetics.

But I might change my mind once I tried some I grew myself.

The stuff I sampled in the Netherlands (Casey Jones, NYC Diesel and OG Kush) were nothing to write home about and I would not take those genetics for their hermy tendencies over say MRN genetics. Well the NYC Diesel was actually quite awesome but not any more than the Jack Herrer I sampled back then...

G `day B

You make some big jumps in conclusions ?
1st if Chem Dog is so herm prone , why no Chem Dog S1s all over the country side ? Its been around as a clone for 25 years . Where are all the herm seeds ?
Also why do folks reverse it to make fems if they could just wait for it to herm ?

Who can actually confirm with out doubt OG Kush is a descendant of Chem Dog ?

EB .

its well known and documented that thai strains can keep their "balls" hidden up to F10 , and then bam suddenly some rezessive genes turn on and you are again at F1 - meaning hermies, of a once thought to be not hermie line

G `day Deran

Have you a source for that Thais hide their balls till F10 anecdote .
I`ve been around herb for 30 + years never heard that wives tale before .

F10 . How many gens do you think were grown over millenia in Thailand before the US GI`s came to Thailand on R n R and discovered Thai Sticks in the 70s ?

check this model . 1971 Vietnam War . US troops in SE Asia . FFWD to 2017 thats 45 years and 45 gens on from the Thai Stick the boys were smokin .
F10 .... They are up to F 999 + already

EB .

Last edited:
See that what keeps rubbing me the wrong way about you Elmstreet:
Your points of view are just as anecdotal as ours.

That's the thing about this whole business/hobby/industry: It has been underground and grayscale for decades and there is no hard evidence or actuall research. It is only now coming out with the process of legalization progressing but, who woulda thunk it, big pharma and business couldn't give two shits about feminized or not, hermy or not.
Their research (including government sponsored) is geared towards genome mapping of canna and analyzing the active components, how they interact with the endocannabinoid system etc. etc.

You may have never heard of that "wives tale" but deran has, from multiple sources, as have I.
That doesn't mean these sources are fool-proof or valid and I certainly cannot back those opinions/anecdotes up with personal experience (maybe deran can) but neither can you.

I preface my opinions with things like "from what I understand" or "from what I could gather" and the like, clearly marking it as hearsay and that I formed my opinion not on personal experience and hard evidence but by anecdotes and reports of others. Those are my only sources as of now.

But so are yours, with the difference being that you keep calling people out for "jumping at conclusions" etc. etc. while trying to pass your own anecdotes off as "hard evidence" or something, always leaning on the "I've been here longer" when in doubt. Which is funny in itself because it could well be that I could be your dad age-wise but I digress.

Chemdawg is another line I have 0 personal experience with but did extensive research on. And while all the anecdotes about Chemdawg are certainly not uniform and stories vary greatly, one of the few consensus I could find was that no-where and I mean no-where I read about Chemdawg did it not say that it was a hermy prone strain.

My assumption is that it has been selected, bred and "stabilized" in its own line (for example by bad karma Rezdog) and also in its outcrosses (Diesels, Cookies, OG Kushes).
Still, hermies show up here and there and are something people growing these strains just "learned to live with" and don't even see it as a sign of instability or a drawback or anything. Many seem to never have known non-hermy genetics and it seems just to be a part of canna growing to them. You can look at various youtube channels or grow reports to see this happening. It's usually just a "yeah these 2 hermied so I culled them, no biggie".

Still, through all the hype and work, it seems that the hermy tendency has been so minimized that it indeed is not such a big deal as most strains derived from Chemdawg do not even seem to show their hermy tendencies in a 10 pack but chances are good all 10 will come out regular.

However, that does not detract from the "fact" (guess anecdotal evidence is a better term) that these hermy tendencies can show up way down the line.
Maybe in 10 years or 20, the next generation of American growers will be left with only hermy gear because Chemdawg genetics continued their takeover and were all that was left to work with and the recessive hermy genes rear their ugly heads 10 years from now when new crosses are made.

Something of the sort....
Makes me sad thinking about and can easily be avoided.

Also stop to think once in a while who would benefit from such scenarios. Not the little hobby grower/breeder, that much is certain.

FACT: ALL cannabis can produce intersex characteristics. OPINION: intersex characteristics are normal in cannabis but it's preferable to breed away from that norm. ;)

G `day B

You make some big jumps in conclusions ?
1st if Chem Dog is so herm prone , why no Chem Dog S1s all over the country side ? Its been around as a clone for 25 years . Where are all the herm seeds ?
Also why do folks reverse it to make fems if they could just wait for it to herm ?

Who can actually confirm with out doubt OG Kush is a descendant of Chem Dog ?

EB .

A lot of that West coast crap is herm crazy. A friend worked for one of the big guys in Oregon came back with bags of seeds he found in weed tried to give me some I'm like fuck no lol.

Sure the name will sell itself for a lot of people but I hate seeds in my weed you miss one seed the bowl/Joint is ruined.

Plus I haven't had better out west.

G `day Bro

Well the sexual expression of cannabis would be a good place to start .

SENGBUSCH HEMP
CLASSIFICATION SCALE

~ Sexual Expression

Then some study re the genes that control sex .

SOME ASPECTS OF SEX DETERMINISM IN HEMP

Science not bro science .

re Herms in Thai and SE Asian lines .
Real males are rare . No need to wait till f10 the herms are fixed from many of years of breeding .

Can you point me to the info you say is common knowledge re Thai plants not herming till F10 ? Like I said they are already F?

pre 1980s most buds were seeded . 40 years we have had sensimilla . Compared to 1000s of years of herms .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Last edited:
Back