Medical vs recreational cannabis

If Canada legalizes only medical cannabis, the black market wins.

There's a market for recreational cannabis, and people using recreational cannabis are not seeking "intoxication" but psychological wellness.
Cannabis is a psychological drug. It does not create addiction nor impair your cognitive skills. I don't understand why there should be a distinction between medical and recreational cannabis unless to stigmatize pot smokers into different classes.

When I look back at my past I often think that a lot of the recreational pot use was actually medicinal use, and that I was drawn into it because of the relief it brought, without even realizing. Same possibly applies to mushroom use.

When I look back at my past I often think that a lot of the recreational pot use was actually medicinal use, and that I was drawn into it because of the relief it brought, without even realizing. Same possibly applies to mushroom use.

very wise

some years back i was so anti towards our medicinal movement, like fuck those idiots and their excuses, we want total legalisation - now - and so on ...

till i realized, that only with the help of the medicinal weed movement things can be changed, i thought more about it, until i came to the conclusion that there is no recreational use, every use is medicinal, when you think about it

but most important thing is, my attitude has also changed, and i feel perfectly fine not beeing perfect and using this plant to become more perfect...
and this my friends is medicinal use, its doing well, its doing a good thing to me, thats what medicine is about

just previous night i had an upset stomach, then my buddy came over and brought some gorilla glue#4 medicine, i smoked a few bowls and all stomach issues went away, i could eat again and could drink again (without the inside going reverse outside)

thats it, so simple but so effective ;)

These labels have nothing to do with the plant, but with regulating it and controlling people's use of it by government.
There is not medical or recreational tomatoes or corn.
Is there rec/med coffee?
Rec/med alcohol?

The definition of "medicine" today spans any field where pharmaceutical companies feel they can create a product that changes a feeling, trait or behavior that customers would be willing to pay to modify. The feeling/trait/behavior is labelled a condition or illness by a cooperating medical industry, and the productization race begins.

If they can turn growing hair and male erection stimulation, fatigue, sadness, anxiety, etc. or genetic traits, all natural human conditions, into medical ailments to be treated with pills: profit!

Many of these products are simply ways for people to manage the symptoms of their neglect of their own health/wellness.
Diet, exercise, sleep. People treat their bodies like crap and wonder why it's not working right. Rather than modify behavior to bring the body's signs of trouble back into balance, people look outside for a solution in pill form because they are lazy and trust multiple industries that see them only as a number on the bottom line. Big pharma, health care, agriculture, finance, govt.

Hippocrates said: "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." He perfectly captured the essence of human wellness that our modern pharma industry wants us to ignore.

Maybe organic, non-gmo, gluten free food should be labelled Medical food and regular industrial poison food can be labelled recreational.
When they take it that far, It will make sense to breakout cannabis like that to me.

You guys have totally nailed that issue of wellness and how unregulated, people (often subconsciously) choose cannabis to modify a variety of feelings/traits/behaviors that result in an improved life experience.

Cannabis is the ultimate natural wellness product. The vitamin or supplement to beat all supplements, and ultimately threatens the entire pharma/med/control system.

If we accept the fact that we are serfs, being allowed to navigate through life at the mercy of our rulers, that those rulers seek to control and exploit every facet of our existence, and that to avoid punishment for stepping out of the boundaries that they have defined for us to make it easier for them to profit from our lives, we must sometimes adopt structures and rules that make no sense, then med vs rec is fine.
If we see it as a stepping stone in changing cultural acceptance of cannabis and rejecting of 80 years of social engineering propaganda that will ultimately lead to more freedom, then med vs rec is fine.

But among ourselves, here in this group, lets be honest with ourselves.
Cannabis should be no more regulated than tomatoes.

In commercial productization of a plant consumed in the various ways we do with canna, the same tests and quality standards applied to medical should apply to rec. Shortcuts in production have great incentive to introduce substances that make canna unhealthy. Insecticides are poison, and with a million dollar + crop on the line, businesses may make bad decisions.
Let's not allow cannabis to become another poison like tobacco.

Guess I should read the article. I hope my ramble was relevant :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Psychological wellness

These labels have nothing to do with the plant, but with regulating it and controlling people's use of it by government.
There is not medical or recreational tomatoes or corn.
Is there rec/med coffee?
Rec/med alcohol?

The definition of "medicine" today spans any field where pharmaceutical companies feel they can create a product that changes a feeling, trait or behavior that customers would be willing to pay to modify. The feeling/trait/behavior is labelled a condition or illness by a cooperating medical industry, and the productization race begins.

If they can turn growing hair and male erection stimulation, fatigue, sadness, anxiety, etc. or genetic traits, all natural human conditions, into medical ailments to be treated with pills: profit!

Many of these products are simply ways for people to manage the symptoms of their neglect of their own health/wellness.
Diet, exercise, sleep. People treat their bodies like crap and wonder why it's not working right. Rather than modify behavior to bring the body's signs of trouble back into balance, people look outside for a solution in pill form because they are lazy and trust multiple industries that see them only as a number on the bottom line. Big pharma, health care, agriculture, finance, govt.

Hippocrates said: "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." He perfectly captured the essence of human wellness that our modern pharma industry wants us to ignore.

Maybe organic, non-gmo, gluten free food should be labelled Medical food and regular industrial poison food can be labelled recreational.
When they take it that far, It will make sense to breakout cannabis like that to me.

You guys have totally nailed that issue of wellness and how unregulated, people (often subconsciously) choose cannabis to modify a variety of feelings/traits/behaviors that result in an improved life experience.

Cannabis is the ultimate natural wellness product. The vitamin or supplement to beat all supplements, and ultimately threatens the entire pharma/med/control system.

If we accept the fact that we are serfs, being allowed to navigate through life at the mercy of our rulers, that those rulers seek to control and exploit every facet of our existence, and that to avoid punishment for stepping out of the boundaries that they have defined for us to make it easier for them to profit from our lives, we must sometimes adopt structures and rules that make no sense, then med vs rec is fine.
If we see it as a stepping stone in changing cultural acceptance of cannabis and rejecting of 80 years of social engineering propaganda that will ultimately lead to more freedom, then med vs rec is fine.

But among ourselves, here in this group, lets be honest with ourselves.
Cannabis should be no more regulated than tomatoes.

In commercial productization of a plant consumed in the various ways we do with canna, the same tests and quality standards applied to medical should apply to rec. Shortcuts in production have great incentive to introduce substances that make canna unhealthy. Insecticides are poison, and with a million dollar + crop on the line, businesses may make bad decisions.
Let's not allow cannabis to become another poison like tobacco.

Guess I should read the article. I hope my ramble was relevant :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing, Old Spice. I totally agree with you that the definition of "medicine" does not seem to apply to cannabinoids. Why is THC, THCV, and CBD not considered for their neuroprotective properties?

Brain neuroprotection by cannabis sativa is a controversial subject. I think the recommendation to label medicinal and recreational cannabis "products" is occult and not based on scientific evidences of the safety and the effectiveness of cannabis sativa to achieve psychological wellness.

It is why BigPharma is promoting anti-cannabis laws to prohibit the use of a organic product not derived from patented designer molecules for neuroprotection purpose. Notice how recreational cannabis can be used for neuroprotection.

Neuroprotection also means prevention of cognitive dysfunctions like Alzheimer and Parkinson diseases: BigPharma is not interested in people using cannabis to prevent Alzheimer or epileptic seizures....

Cheers,

tkadm30

Thanks for sharing, Old Spice. I totally agree with you that the definition of "medicine" does not seem to apply to cannabinoids. Why is THC, THCV, and CBD not considered for their neuroprotective properties?

Brain neuroprotection by cannabis sativa is a controversial subject. I think the recommendation to label medicinal and recreational cannabis "products" is occult and not based on scientific evidences of the safety and the effectiveness of cannabis sativa to achieve psychological wellness.

It is why BigPharma is promoting anti-cannabis laws to prohibit the use of a organic product not derived from patented designer molecules for neuroprotection purpose. Notice how recreational cannabis can be used for neuroprotection.

Neuroprotection also means prevention of cognitive dysfunctions like Alzheimer and Parkinson diseases: BigPharma is not interested in people using cannabis to prevent Alzheimer or epileptic seizures....

Cheers,

tkadm30

Agreed!
I personally have had a couple of concussions in my day, and have extended family with every ailment you mentioned that would benefit immensely from cannabis but won't touch it because of the law.

Deran mentioned how it helps stomach problems which I also experience, and the anti-inflammation qualities of some of the strains I have worked with were simply amazing for arthritis.
Productizing a plant that can do all this with no IP protection is a serious threat to their entire global business.
Big pharma is one of the largest lobbies in the world, and their political influence is staggering.
It is amazing how much progress has been made considering.

Productizing a plant that can do all this with no IP protection is a serious threat to their entire global business.

I think that is the root of the problem. The medical marijuana stream they're planning to sell in Canada is IP protected. It seem they really hate people growing their own stuff including cannabis, which may bypass their strict regulations on THC levels and the definition of "medical marijuana".

High THC marijuana is still a medicine. THC alone can kill cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. It makes no sense to stigmatize pot users smoking dank to have a head trip over people using marijuana as a medicine.

I suspect big pharma is attempting to hijack the medical marijuana "stream" and rebrand it as recreational weed...

Last edited:
"I have heard" that you cannot patent a plant unless it is genetically modified. Otherwise, it is existing work. Can't claim it.
I may be wrong on that.

Are you saying that they have created a plant with custom DNA for production in Canada?

"I have heard" that you cannot patent a plant unless it is genetically modified. Otherwise, it is existing work. Can't claim it.
I may be wrong on that.

Are you saying that they have created a plant with custom DNA for production in Canada?

In Canada and the US, you can only patent clones and GMO plants. You cannot patent seeds unless they are like GMO 'Roundup Ready' corn developed by Monsanto. Hemp clones and hemp GMO plants will be patentable pretty soon in the US, but the USDA is taking its time developing all the rules for hemp and it may be 2 years before it is all out there. Whatever they decide on will be used if/when Marijuana is legalized at the federal level here. Also Idaho has decided that hemp is illegal if it has ~any~ THC in it, even less than the 0.3% defined by the feds. So that is headed to the courts to sort out.

Last edited:
Should there be a distinction between medical and recreational cannabis ?

Medicinal and recreational cannabis should be separate, say researchers - Health - CBC News

To reply to the OP here... In most western US legal weed states, once rec weed has been legalized medical marijuana pretty much goes away. There are some remnants of medical marijuana in Oregon and Colorado, but they are in decline. Most of the legal rec western states have moved medical marijuana under recreational control and authority.

The way I see it is medical marijuana is a bit like medical alcohol, a bunch of bullshit. You smoke weed because it makes you feel good, you drink alcohol because it makes you feel good.

Sure both drugs have medicinal benefits. During prohibition medical alcohol was a thing they even had Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon whiskey under medical alcohol which is the best Bourbon I've tried yet.

Of course cannabis is much more medicinal than alcohol they are both mostly recreational drugs. I'm hurting after a long day of work a few shots of whiskey I'm good, really better than after a joint.

Of course seizures, cancer and MS are just a bit worse than pain, they can still buy medicine and for cheaper than ever before. I just seen a YouTube video they where selling $40 ounces in Washington state from and that was after the shop mark up. Didn't look too special but not terrible and supposedly had over 20% THC.

It's for the better good. I just wish people would start making old school hash in America, American charas would be fucking incredible!! :D

I believe that in the long run medical marijuana will outpace rec weed. A shitload of us (as in most of us) smoke weed to self-medicate. I did not know I had ADHD until I was 40. But I smoked a lot of sativas with THCv which is a great alternative to Dexedrine, which I was on for over 15 years. The older I get the more I smoke weed for: Insomnia (I smoke old weed that is high in CBN, or an Afghani strain and I am out in 20 minutes); Pain (lots of good strains for this, like ATF and Lebanese); ADD/ADHD and to get going (high THCv strains like Durban Poison); Migraines (high CBD strains like Lebanese Red). Then there are the party weed strains that I smoke to feel good, but feeling good and getting high is a medical thing as well. For depression, anxiety and PTSD, and for party time I turn to Grape Ape and Maui Waui Cherry Bomb. Cherry Bomb has one of the highest levels of CBC, a little known cannabinoid that overcomes anxiety. I also made a hybrid of grape Ape and Durban Poison that I named Dr Feelgood. One hit and I feel good... it has THCv to wake me up and CBC to make me feel good and raise my mood. Also there is creativity... I find that a hit of Lebanese Red and I can resolve problems in my head that I was stuck on before. Also the thing that I have found over time is that if you want more quality in life, smoke less weed. Or smoke less potent weed. Too much THC and I feel like bats are flying around in my head or I get brain freeze. Also a combination of cannabinoids and terpinoids is important. CBD alone does not do nearly as well as THC and CBD for me. A little CBC goes a long way to improving mood with THC and CBD. And THCv is better than amphetamines or caffeine but works best with THC. There are also THCa and CBDa, and all the acid forms of these cannabinoids, and several terpinoids that are psychoactive as well. And... THCa and CBD and other cannabinoids kill cancer cells. That alone is the medical miracle in weed. Cancer is the emperor of all human diseases.

If you want to vape OG Bubba's Ugly Sister and just want to get stoned, that is OK. But that is likely to become more passe in time as we figure out what cannabinoids can do. Cannabinoids control our endocrine system and the endocrine system runs our metabolism. Sadly as a schedule 1 narcotic, it has been illegal to do drug trials using Cannabis. That is going to change and the medical results are going to change weed and medicine as we know it forever. There are over 500 known cannabinoids and over 200 known terpinoids, and counting. A cornucopia of medicines are all just waiting to be uncovered in the evil weed.

Yes, weed is cheap here in the PNW. The commercial market is flooded with weed. It actually does grow on trees, yeah know? Oh, and I make hash here in America. I grow a lot of old school Bekaa Valley landrace Lebanese Red. I have an ice cream machine that I turned into a dry sifted hash tumbler. I tumble the dry buds and crank out fluffy yellow hash of the finest quality. A dream of mine come true really. Well, that and being able to grow my own weed legally here in Oregon.

Last edited:
I guess if you put it like that, I was diagnosed with ADD as a teen the amphetamines didn't help to this day I have never liked the high from an amphetamine, but back in school I told the doctor I just need some weed, tried asking for Marinol she said no, your going to need to find it yourself. Lol

So being in the mountains with streams and ponds all around, I naturally grew some weed not like I could have gotten a job at 13.

I still don't really call it medicine though technically it is. Just puts me in a good mood antidepressants won't do that. Of course I can go a couple weeks without weed and I'm good for the most part.

Yeah, Oregon is definitely getting flooded. A friend just looked up the shop he used to work for and they had $29 ounces just a 420 sale but come on! Definitely taking a trip this summer, here in New England it's going to be about the same in a few years.

Marinol is no good for ADD. It is pure THC. It has failed as a medicine to replace weed, as THC alone will make your skin crawl and bats fly around in your head. It has to be tempered with other cannabinoids and terpenoids.

What you want for ADD is THC and THCv. My Rx for that is Durban Poison. I have perfected it here in my "lab" (4 small greenhouses in my back yard). I grew landrace Durban Poison, but it blooms all over the place. It had the perfect smell and high though. I also grew a cut of the Dutch Durban that has skunk in it. It has stable blooming, but that lacks higher levels of THCv and it does not have the anise and sandalwood terps. So I got the bright idea to breed them, and wallah! A stable pheno and stable blooming back cross that finishes in early October and smells heavenly of anise and sandalwood, and it has the THCv high to get me going and focus. Like amphetamines, but way better. One hit and I want another... and another... but I wait 30 minutes, because THCv delays THC for a half hour. Then it hits me. And I go "ahhhhhhh"....

BTW, they have found that nicotine is also great for ADD. There are just the small problems that it is the most addictive substance known to man and it does bad things like cause cancers. I smoked for years myself. More self-medication. Along with coffee, chocolate, sugar, teas, and weed.

I can grow far better weed than they sell in the stores here. Its so cheap here now that the quality has tanked. Who is going to put anything into the weed when they are only getting $500 a pound for it? And that is after getting a license, growing, harvesting, drying, curing, trimming, testing, labeling, finding a buyer, etc. etc. The green rush hath turned to shyte here. It is just as bad in Washington state.

Last edited:
Back