La Nina

R

Resinfinger

Here is my first attempt at La Nina. It started out in a 16oz cup and was transplanted to a 1gal. On the 15th I placed it into 12/12 and on the 24th I saw 2 male pollen sacs.

La_nina.JPG

I than placed it back into my veg area and went out of town for 8 days. When I came back I saw this.

m_to_f_la_nina.JPG

LN1_male_to_fem.JPG

I am waiting for it to stablilize from the stress of 12/12 and 24/0. In about a week or two I will be topping and taking a few cuts. Once I have a rooted clone I will flower the seedplant and see what happens. I will kepp this updated with progress.
I have popped 3 more beans from this pack and will post those soon.

that must not happen !

bad breeding, bad selections (if at all considering hermies), bad mothers and fathers

choose ..

dont wait, pull that herm out, dna info of hermie traits are in those plants, the plant will herm sooner or later, and will pass that info on, if used for seed making

How's it going deran?

Normally I would pull a herm. But since this went male to female I'm going to hold onto it. I've read that they can be useful.

I doubt it has anything to do with bad breeding considering where they came from.

Do you have any experience with males turning female?

I doubt it has anything to do with bad breeding considering where they came from.

where did they came from ?

afaik there is only 1 strain called la nina, and the one who put it into commerce takes all the responsibility for it, wether it be good or bad like in your case

bad breeding is to me finding pollen sacks on young/teenage girls

parents werent tested for rezessive hermie traits, see your picture, thats bad breeding ... anyone can throw pollen around, but breeding is slightly more sophisticated, including testing for recessive hermie traits ... which we all know, can be blanked beyond f 10 inline breeding ...

males turning femals = hermie
femals turning male = hermie

... the timeline is insignificant

where did they came from ?

afaik there is only 1 strain called la nina, and the one who put it into commerce takes all the responsibility for it, wether it be good or bad like in your case

bad breeding is to me finding pollen sacks on young/teenage girls

parents werent tested for rezessive hermie traits, see your picture, thats bad breeding ... anyone can throw pollen around, but breeding is slightly more sophisticated, including testing for recessive hermie traits ... which we all know, can be blanked beyond f 10 inline breeding ...

males turning femals = hermie
femals turning male = hermie

... the timeline is insignificant

so who do you think are the good breeders

Hey, resinfinger.

I've got an intersexed Mango Haze that's male on the inside and female on the outside, like a wolf in sheep's clothing. Starting week 4 of flowering, it's the most resinous plant in the garden. Any plant this resinous is not bullshit.

I'm using this plant to make my 1st round of F2's because I have heard both sides of the argument and I tend to learn things best by finding out for myself. I'm glad to see somebody else choosing the same path.

My beans also came from the 'Tude and I'm 100% sure they're Shanti's.

Thanks for sharing yer stuff.

Peace.

simply said, there r none, just bc of the illegality and limited space

im heading for an ideal, thats why its easy for me to see bad things first, its more of a question like "who is the least worst breeder" ...

and now we r getting philosophical :D

to me: "breeders" like u and me who dont have any financial interest in there own work, bc its a hobby ;) ... r more of that ideal than somebody with a financial interest

following that path i also understand well the costs in terms of money, of hour hobby, and we all know too well our monthly bill for electricity, and no one wants to be the fucked bitch when it comes to paying ..

u see, those 2 thoughts collide in my ideal world, and its impossible to give a proper answer

as a consumer, i want to get what ive paid for, if its broken i wouldnt have bought it in the 1st place
if it got broken by usage, thats not an useres fault, its the producers fault imho

and to all that, we see the steadily decling of genetics the last 20 years, thats a wake up call

cricts are our friends, they can tell us what we can improve further :cool:

i dont doubt that shanti is doing good work, tho it could be better (ie no herms ;)

ps: breeder is in my limited world the wrong term when it comes to cannabis, its just a plant, re-combinator would be a much better term imho

While it was revegging 2 pollen sacs opened so I harvested the pollen and sprinkled it on a SHIT and DJ bluberry. They were the only two ready to be pollinated they both now have seeds forming. I will follow up with pics soon. Here is a few more of the male to female herm. Most of what I have read says m to f herm plants are very resionous. This one has a pretty hollow stem. More than most plants. Maybe there is something to this hollow stem and THC production. The pic was a day after I cut it

nina_male_herm_top.JPG

nina_male_herm.JPG

la_male_herm_.JPG

day_after_top_hollow_stem1.JPG

In any given field there are those who have a natural aptitude for creativity and success. Then there are the dedicated souls who by virtue of hard work and perseverance, will also find success.

The greatest of all, are those who combine a natural ability with the unfailing will to succeed. These are the Michael Jordans, Peles and Einsteins of the world.

The best breeders then, are those who have a natural instinct for a good cross - that is the Art - coupled with the exposure to large enough plant numbers to fully express that Art. These are the professionals who have refined their skills over many decades working with thousands of plants every year.

While deran's egalitarian romanticism appeals to all us amateur pollen chuckers. There's no way some guy on the streets in a pick up game of basketball is going to be able to match a Le Bron James.

Just as there's no way any cupboard botanist is going to be able match what a Nevil or Shantibaba can shit out in their sleep....;)

You may have the skills, but you ain't got the numbers, you're still a freshman...

Just in order to relate my experience with LN:

From circa 30 seeds I have not found one hermie plant...

And I am known for stressing my plants in the last round of the selection process in order to see if some are prone to it or not.

However one thing for sure is that if one the LN parents were susceptible to herm then as good as the breeder is you will always see popping some.

The goal is to minimize the occurence of this kind of plants...

But you will never totally get rid of it.

Peace.

K.

Last edited:
Thanks for stopping by bushy and kash.

Bushy I thought the same about that leaning widow as well. I thought the m to f comes from the mm side based on what shanti has said about hazes. Any thoughts I know you know more about mm than I.

Kash nice pics.

I wonder if shanti used a m to f in the madness or widow at one point. Any thoughts?

It can't hurt to see what comes of the two crosses I made. Hopefully a very resin covered plant.

Gorgeous plant and photos, Kash. I see a lot of the MM side of the cross in that one... what was the smoke like?

Hi Jim,

If I gave you a joint without telling you what it really is...

You would tell me it is a Haze from Nevil.:eek:

However there are some undertones which are clearly different for a discerning palate accustomed to Nev's Hazes.

LN is easier to grow than a MH or a NH...

I would advise it for a first experience with Haze.

This hybrid is so good that I kept 2 other females: one is clearly Widow influenced and produce essentially a one bud. We call it Lemon Haze here.
The other is intermediate between the other keepers and is very Thaï influenced.
It reminds me of the thaï imports I got in the late 80's.

Peace.

K.

Hi Resin,

Thanks for the grow journal. Your pictures are fantastic. I am very interested in the hollow stem pheno, as it appears in so many cultivars of the world...and many suggest this to be a positive attribute.

I also got a hermi on of my g13hz. I cutt it back and revegged it... it "straightened" back out, but I have not cloned or re-flowered to see what happens again. I know this a La Nina thread but if we look at the amount of accomplishments G13hz has under her belt, I can appreciate why you have not debated Mr. Duran on good or bad breeding. In all honesty, we as humans all carry recessive genese. In my case, I think a poor mix of soiless mix, along with a high N early on, triggered this recessive trait. At least in the one pheno, all the rest held fast!

I may have missed it, pardon if I have how many beans did you start?

Good luck on the grow out and thanks for posting your findings... looking forward to hear what happens with the mating to skunk. I just read Kanga's post and it appears he made a similar matting with MMxSkunk last year...

[EDIT:] Hi Kashrocks, your buds are sick brother... thanks for those... may I ask, what are some ways that you stress plants late in flower... i.e. light, feed. You thought is appreciated.

Respect,

CM

Last edited:
Hi Resin,

Thanks for the grow journal. Your pictures are fantastic. I am very interested in the hollow stem pheno, as it appears in so many cultivars of the world...and many suggest this to be a positive attribute.

I also got a hermi on of my g13hz. I cutt it back and revegged it... it "straightened" back out, but I have not cloned or re-flowered to see what happens again. I know this a La Nina thread but if we look at the amount of accomplishments G13hz has under her belt, I can appreciate why you have not debated Mr. Duran on good or bad breeding. In all honesty, we as humans all carry recessive genese. In my case, I think a poor mix of soiless mix, along with a high N early on, triggered this recessive trait. At least in the one pheno, all the rest held fast!

CM

Thanks for the kind words on the pics chana. I'm still waiting for mine to straighten out. I to use a soiless/soil medium. It very well could be because of that. Ive only grown out nimbim bag seed before so this is pretty much my first haze hybrid.

I may have missed it, pardon if I have how many beans did you start?

CM

I have 2 packs and I only sprouted one so that I could test it with my soil mix. Pretty soon I will go over exactly what my mix is and how much I use. To give you an idea its basically a super soil mixed with sunshine #4 and some dolomite and added perlite.

I have 3 more that I sprouted and they are about 3 inches tall. Once I do a run or two I will sprout the rest.

It was stressed a few days before 12/12 from a transplant. Many factors involved and until I can clone it and flower again I just dont know.

Good luck on the grow out and thanks for posting your findings... looking forward to hear what happens with the mating to skunk. I just read Kanga's post and it appears he made a similar matting with MMxSkunk last year...

CM

I think everyone is following along to that thread LOL. I remember reading about that and thinking the same thing. Ill post all things La nina up on this thread even the crosses.

Kash thanks again for posting those pics. I can see why they are your 2 keeper phenos.

Resinfinger you are a gentleman and a scholar:)

We share certain similarties with our grows i.e. the thought previous about N and haze and now the soiless mix.

I will tell you straight brother that my hermi occurred after a transplant too! You are on to something! I figured it was my fault and not the breeder;)...

Respect,

CM

Back