How sensitive is La Nina to Nutes?

Sundog

Hi, I needed some clones for my latest indoor grow but person I gave some too let me down so I took some from a La Nina(widow pheno)lady I have outdoors.
I read through some of the La Nina threads to research how much to feed them but could only find one report with any info(I'm dyslexic so probably missed heaps).
Can anyone tell me how much nutes I should be feeding them? They're only a couple weeks old and just about ready to transplant. I will be growing them Hydroponically.
Any info would be a great help as it's my first hydro grow in 5yrs and I feel I've lost my mojo and don't want to fuck it up.
Thanx.

Hi, I needed some clones for my latest indoor grow but person I gave some too let me down so I took some from a La Nina(widow pheno)lady I have outdoors.
I read through some of the La Nina threads to research how much to feed them but could only find one report with any info(I'm dyslexic so probably missed heaps).
Can anyone tell me how much nutes I should be feeding them? They're only a couple weeks old and just about ready to transplant. I will be growing them Hydroponically.
Any info would be a great help as it's my first hydro grow in 5yrs and I feel I've lost my mojo and don't want to fuck it up.
Thanx.

Hey SunDog, from experience I have had to use one twentieth strength nutes in hydro for landrace/heirloom satties etc, so titrate up, slowly and the curl and burn will be a mere memory...good luck:)

My favourite and still a keeper is a 9.5week la nina, I think she is more of a widow pheno due to flowering time and the fatter fan leaves. I run an ec of 1.2 and pH 5.8 with mine in flowering, hope this helps. All the best with yours. Keep us updated

Last edited:
Thanx mate. I had 2 diff phenos to choose from, one was very Sativa leaning and was very very sensitive to nutes compared to the one I took cuts from. I chose her mainly because of the stench in veg. Cuts are well rooted now and I'll be transplanting them in a week or so. My outdoor LN are in early flower alongside SSH and Angel Heart.

Sounds like a nice outdoor selection Sundog :) Nothing beats sativa's basking in natural sunlight.
I clone with an ec of 0.6, than into veg with an ec of 1.0 for the first week. From beginning of week 2 onwards I veg at 1.1. Hope this helps.
What kind of hydro setup are you running?
Are you gonna keep one cutting as a mother?

Yeah mate, I'm an Aussie that grew up smoking sativas in the 80's so I do prefer the sats to
Indicas but love them both at the right time of day.
My set up consists of a 1x1x2m tent with 600HPS. My hydro is 2x10L pot recirculation system.
I transplanted the clones last night and let them finish the daily light cycle under the 600 for the 4hr left in the day and have been hand watering them with kelp extract and I'm going to fill the res later today.
I won't be keeping a mother because I will be going away for a couple of weeks and the only person I trust is 4&1/2 yrs old but i will be giving clones to a friend(whether they do the righty is another story).
Last years outdoor plants were CS, CM, MedMan, Spice and CBD Nordle....
The spice and Nordle stole the show. The spice blew people's heads off.
Thanks for the replies man.

Yeah the sativa's are hard to beat, my climate is shit so every sativa I've tried has been indoor cultivated, I'm working towards getting myself to somewhere more suitable!

:D I know what you mean about the trust thing, I almost lost my la Nina due to relying on someone else looking after mother plants. The mom became badly root bound, luckily there was a clone just into flower so I was able to keep the pheno going. I now make the time to check everything to avoid any disastars!
Spice is an under rated strain, I think it used to be known as Hawaiian 5 0. I was gifted two seeds about 15 years ago, got one female and only ran her once, it yielded great but really want to try another pack soon.

My experience (from memory, ten years ago), is the widow leaning ones sucked up the nutes, the sativa heavies didn't like too much food. I was doing organics in soil, but still fed regularly

I just bought a new house, moving friday. I plan on doing a La Nina run. Been working on the commercial side of weed for a while, it's time for me to grow some stuff for me again. La Nina is still my favorite herb ever in about 35 years of working with weed.

The widow leaning ones, especially the ones that tasted like those mango cream candies, are the grail for me. I'm hoping to find one again.

Fuck all the new super strains- I work with them every day and I prefer the classics.

I'm hammered. I may not have said anything relevant, but I hope you find one of those creamy mango phenos!! Nothing I've ever had made ya as happy and creative as that. It made playing music so satisfying. I'll probably be chasing that plant for the rest of my life, but I will damn sure be trying to find it again.

Hi folks,
A quick update, my La Nina is now in week5 of flower and is doing well. Pumping out long spear shaped colas and covered in rez. She has a strong B.O. stench with a hint of pepper which seems to still stink out my house even with carbon filter. Feed wise she doesn't like any stronger than EC 0.9.
I can't wait to cross the finish line.

I forgot to mention that unfortunately for me I was forced to cull the outdoor LN mother due to a spidermite infestation to save my other outdoor ladies from the same fate so I didn't get to try her out and have to wait til the daughters are cut&dried.

Nice to read that you got the nutes dialed in. With sativas, less is more.

Trial and error combined with an educated guess. Far from perfect grow but as I said previously it's my first hydro grow in 5yrs and I actually expected to fuck this up but have done quite well so far. The only problem I've had was slightly overfeeding them by 0.1EC when I flicked the switch to 12/12 and they looked sad the next day so I flushed them out for 2 or 3 days and gave them a bit weaker mix. This has been a great revision lesson in indoorgrowing for me. Thanks everyone for advice & tips. Much appreciated.

Enter week 7 and all is good. Lots of orange pistols now and a few milky trichomes so not too long to go. When I open my tent I get hit by a strong peppery & hashy smell but when I give the resinous leaves a rub it smells of aniseed. I didn't do any selection with this strain I just took clones from an outdoor La Nina I planted with a bunch of other MNS beans and crossed my fingers and hope for the best and now my tent is full of some very lovely looking flowers. I've tried to upload some budshots from my phone to no avail. I could only manage to upload a couple of dodgy photos to an album but no luck with close ups. I'm really impressed so far by the looks of it but I'm not too keen on the smell TBH and hopefully it improves over after harvest and a cure.

Aloha Sundog!

Welcome home brah! Nothing like jumping back into the game, goin' for that run to blow the carbon out...
Great to see you getting your mojo back! Good hunting!

Shaka
Mu

La Nina 7weeks flower

Test upload
Hooray! It worked at last.
I'll take more pics as she ripen up & harvest and give my smoke report in another thread after its had a but if a cure. I'm also going give a sample to an old friend who will also give his unbiased smoke report.

SunDog

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200420-201437_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200420-201437_Gallery.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Aloha Sundog!

Welcome home brah! Nothing like jumping back into the game, goin' for that run to blow the carbon out...
Great to see you getting your mojo back! Good hunting!

Shaka
Mu

Thank you Musashi, I'm very happy with this grow even though I've made a few minor errors. Its into week 8 now and they should be done within a week to10 days. I already have a decent stash of 3 walkabout phenos(one smells like poo and another smells like cat piss) grown outdoors to keep me going in these days of isolation and I can't wait to add some La Nina to the menu.

I'll post some more pics & smoke reports in a new thread sometime in the near future.

Here's another.
Yes Musashi. She tastes good but I do not like the widow smell.
This pheno was taken at random from an outdoor plant. No selection whatsoever but very impressed with the plant and everyone who tried it absolutely loved it.

Attachments

• received_599833027335621.jpeg
    received_599833027335621.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 27
Back