How Long can you keep your Mom?

G `day BS

Old school drying tech was most probably in the sun .
That will turn the buds gold and burn off a lot of terpenes .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Huh? No one I knew dried their weed outside in the sun in California. Waaaay too easy for people to smell it and get it ripped off; IT REEKS! Most growers cut plants at the base and hung them upside down in their garage. Many still do that here today. I never sun dried any weed myself. I slow cure my buds at cooler temps. I dispense with the upside down hanging plant process and cut my buds to length and dry them flat in cardboard boxes, turning them every day. Once dry to the touch, I put them in paper bags and cure them for at least a month, usually longer.

Last edited:
Huh? No one I knew dried their weed outside in the sun in California. Waaaay too easy for people to smell it and get it ripped off; IT REEKS! Most growers cut plants at the base and hung them upside down in their garage. Many still do that here today. I never sun dried any weed myself. I slow cure my buds at cooler temps. I dispense with the upside down hanging plant process and cut my buds to length and dry them flat in cardboard boxes, turning them every day. Once dry to the touch, I put them in paper bags and cure them for at least a month, usually longer.

G `day BS

I was thinkin about Oaxacan herb grown in Oaxaca .

Thanks for sharin

EB

All the Oaxacan that I saw and smoked in Cali was green. The only Mexican gold that I ever saw (other than what had been sprayed and tested positive for Paraquat) was gold that came from around Acapulco in Guerrero. I never saw any Oaxacan Highland Gold, as it seems to be called now, even when I was in Oaxaca, Mexico in the 70s.

Oh I don't know, in San Diego back in the mid to late sixties, we had "gold" of several different varieties from Mexico and Columbia. Yes, gold from Oaxaca too. I understand some plants were girded as a way of killing the plant and essentially curing in the sun with plant still standing, saving a step. Only problem is back then there was no way to certify anything. God knows how much of this bricked shit was sold under a "branded" name and what was it really? Seed was got from bags and people who sold seed were vagabonds and dubious at best. Everything done with a nod and a wink. Trust ha! Seeds from where? Right. Vague memories from years ago... What I know for certain is recounting memories from 30-40 years ago is a slippery slope. And today, I am confident as to where I get my seed. Happy days braddahs!

Aloha
M

Well, I put higher confidence in seed sources in bag weed in the 70s/80s than from any but a very few seed companies today. Where did the seed companies get their strains from and are they legit? Also where did those modern seed breeder genetics originate from? Mysteries galore. Like the source of the several dozen OG Kush strains out there calling themselves OG. The dealers in the 60s had far less to gain from where a bag of weed came from than seed peddlers today. And in the end, most Mexican weed was from Oaxaca, Guerrero, or Michaoacan and most Colombian was from the mountains (Santa Marta) or the northern Atlantic lowlands (bricked red/brown and gold). Some came in from west Colombia, which was green, and there was punta roja and punto rojo from the west mountains. Thai sticks were obviously from SE Asia, mainly Thailand. Black gooey ganja was from South India. No doubt about it. The hashish pressed into the Star of David was from... you guessed it! Israel. Bright green temple balls and fingers were from Nepal. Red and blonde hashish was from Lebanon.

As for memory, I do not need to recall the details. I wrote everything down then about the source weed when I added seeds to my land race seed collection sorted into envelopes and frozen in a plastic case. Date, price paid, where gotten, where said to be from, character of the buds and quality of the high, how seedy, and I rated the buzz factor. I also noted the germination %, how it grows and the dates grown for each seed packet over the years.

I also lived in Sandy Eggo in the later 1980s, on Mission Beach and in Del Cerro. I graduated from SDSU. The beach scene there and in LA was a lot different than the weed scene in NorCal at that time. Different worlds. I loved the surf music in PB though, and the beach. I do not miss the traffic, smog, and mob scene there through. I went back to Mission Beach a few years ago and it is all quiet and tame. Family friendly. They banned alcohol on Mission Beach and that was that. The party was over. It had moved up to Solana Beach and Encinitas then. Back in the day my brother was living out of his car on Cardiff Beach at the campground. That had been taken over by a surf camp for kids last time I was there. The waves were glowing at night on that trip though. No ono believes that either... even there and then. Bright green crashing waves. No LSD required.

Last edited:
The hashish pressed into the Star of David was from... you guessed it! Israel.

is a stamp that has been seen from time to time in Europe in the 80s and 90s... it's not produced in Israel but in Morocco... hashish with f stamp star of David is a cheap Moroccan hash of commercial grade, made for profit... hence the name and stamp

The 1979 Romulan cut is still alive.

Coastal Seeds has the 79 Romulan clone mother x NL1 called UFO. I got 6 packs of them.

Swami has The ONE, and Blue Orca which are from 83.
PNW Hashplant is early 80s.

Skelly Hashplant is 1989.

Swami has the 85 cut of RKS
Original NL5 is from early 80s. And is Indonesian, contrary to popular belief, and is still alive.
NOOF cut of NL5 from 89. NOOF has been crossed with an Afghan.
NL5 seeds from Sensi, or anyplace else are not really NL5, but a Hybrid. NL5 is Sativa.

Last edited:
well, The longest I ever kept a mom alive was 4 years. it was a bcga or early subcool space queen. had it in a 15 gallon smart pot. I had other clones as moms, but that was the original clone I received, and she wouldn't slow down or lose vigor. until I got mites and wouldn't spray avid to save the mom.. always be willing to spray avid or floramite on your moms. even if you have to take them out of rotation till they test clean. Seeds are not really that expensive anymore. lifetime keepers sometimes need some hardcore medicine to stay in your life forever, never make the mistake I did.
Someone my dad and uncle's grew up with had a thai plant he planted after he got back from his second tour of Vietnam, and he kept the line alive until he passed, not sure how often he rotated moms possibly every season since he revegged the stump at the end of 72. and I failed to keep her around as I once again, didn't want to spray avid. btw, when an old person tells you the weed ain't what it used to be. they remember smoking thai, 2 hours taking 6 to pass, and those elongated hours were great fun. both with friends, and alone.

Uh huh :)

Mu
I'm gonna be 32 this year, I'm the luckiest human my age for having been able to grow and smoke real thai. 14 weeks to finish? lol thats an indica sativa hybrid, 18 weeks, thats a short flower sativa. 22 weeks for milky, 26 weeks to enter senescence in DWC. I talk to people who think a 10 week variety takes too long. and they make me laugh.

Hi All
It is pretty fundamental actually in keeping mothers for long time in artificial indoor situations to keep mothers fit! What I mean by fit is that each year you take the mother you have been using for cloning outdoors to grow in natural light for 1 to 2 months...cut a healthy clone from this recovered mother from natural sunlight and outdoor environment and then take her back in side for the next 10 months indoor situation. I have been doing this technique since 1992, and that is why my plants are older than all 3 kids i have...try it . Hope it helps Sb

Hi All
It is pretty fundamental actually in keeping mothers for long time in artificial indoor situations to keep mothers fit! What I mean by fit is that each year you take the mother you have been using for cloning outdoors to grow in natural light for 1 to 2 months...cut a healthy clone from this recovered mother from natural sunlight and outdoor environment and then take her back in side for the next 10 months indoor situation. I have been doing this technique since 1992, and that is why my plants are older than all 3 kids i have...try it . Hope it helps Sb
the fact that you, and the old veteran who taught me some of my ways agree on forever plants, just reinforces my opinion that its dirty cloning tools, and unwillingness to properly treat diseases is why we as growers can't keep moms alive to save our lives while we are learning. and some never leave that learning stage.

like with the viroid issue in California right now. they can can isolate a sick plant, root cuts, treat with super high trace mineral feeds, and bacterial preparations to get the new plant to have a low enough viral load to take cuts to send to a lab, and get them tissue cultured out and tested for the viroid until a non infected plantlet can be found. for those who haven't researched it, hops latent viroid is currently being considered the culprit behind "genetic drift" and "clonal degradation" in many of the varieties people have had for 20+ years. Also, when I used to lurk here Shanti, I read a version of that post you posted long ago. . and I tell people whenever they talk about their moms being weak and sickly, do as Shanti does. take them outside to rejuvenate them.

this is my original blue sat mother from seed pictured at ten years old, i would cut the rootball back every year or so and replace with fresh coco and like shanti i would give her as much natural light as i could over the summer months but i never put her outside.
At around the 12 year mark she split in two and one half died but she still survived.
I have shown her before on mrnice.

46640DSC00822 (1).JPG

this is my original blue sat mother from seed pictured at ten years old, i would cut the rootball back every year or so and replace with fresh coco and like shanti i would give her as much natural light as i could over the summer months but i never put her outside.
At around the 12 year mark she split in two and one half died but she still survived.

View attachment 47396
she looks so old and wise!

Hi All

Like most old things their immune system is prone to weaknesses due to oxidation and time and wear n tear....so eventually the rootball will get infected and part of the plant dies.That is normal and what i found in the 90s with keeping mothers inside all the time. Put an old root ball outside and allow it to be exposed to all spectrums and air and heat....then cut clones from her...you will never have an issue....but glad to hear people are interested in this side of things . For me the 18hr room for mother and fathers and clones is really the most important genetic area to backup...everyone can flower cuttings or seeds but not everyone can select or find or breed special things...so when you find these you need to keep them healthy and indefinitely alive...all the best Sb

Hi All

Thanks for the reminder Shanti. It’s always good to get solid, reliable data in a world of misinformation.

🤙
Mu

View attachment 47396

nice bonsai

Back