Haze outdoors 2013-2014

Hey Scrubdog. Indica freak from way back. Likeing what I see when I look at your purple kush babies! Don't remember which one, but one of my friends suggested I check out some of your threads, that we shared some common intrests. I enjoy breeding too. Some day I'll have to tell you the genetics behind my Big Bertha. I think you'd find it intresting. :) :) :)

Last edited:
thanks

Hey Scrubdog. Indica freak from way back. Likeing what I see when I look at your purple kush babies! Don't remember which one, but one of my friends suggested I check out some of your threads, that we shared some common intrests. I enjoy breeding too. Some day I'll have to tell you the genetics behind my Big Bertha. I think you'd find it intresting. :) :) :)

I'm not really an Indica fan but I love the look of the buds on these purple plants even though I don't smoke them much unless I'm desperate. They were bred by a guy called Robogro on another site and come from Blue Mystic genetics I think. These plants really do get deep purple and the buds are covered in trichomes like sugar but I've never found them very potent unless you like being put to sleep. Gorgeous smell though and each season I find myself liking them a bit more so maybe I'm getting soft in my old age as far as indicas go.

I've spread a few Black Widow amongst them this season because I intend to juice them up a bit in the potency department with some Widow pollen.

When they get bigger I'll do a seperate thread devoted to them. They really do look lovely when they flower. Here is a pic from last season just for you.

DSCN2173.JPG

scrubdog

Compare MNS Strains

Right.

I think a lot of people (including myself) are interested in direct comparisons amongst the MNS strains in terms of growth habits and phenotypes so I've selected four plants from my current grow that I feel are a good example of each strain and made a bit of a montage.

I also fixed the colour which was a bit out of whack because it took forever to upload 50 photos so I sort of rushed things instead of processing the images properly.

Lastly I made them more or less to scale as in the shortest (NHM) really is about that much shorter and the rest around the same size with The Doors slightly taller.

For the record... the tallest and best looking plant (in my opinion) is a Mango Haze Inbred but the photo I took of it is crap (wrong angle) and doesn't do it justice so I haven't uploaded it.

I think these four photos demonstrate the excellence of the MNS strains. They really are lovely looking plants. Not quite what I expected (I was expecting much more sativa like growth with thinner leaves) but good solid genetics none the less. That Mango Haze inbred in the montage sure does look like a Black Widow but all my MH inbred look like Widows and I've got one Widow that looks more sativa than the hazes.

Feel free to pick a favourite.

Just for comparison purposes... planted two weeks later... my most sativa looking Widow.

widowz1.jpg

scrubdog

Last edited:
Neville Haze

Hmmm. Okay the Nev Haze is so much smaller than many of the other plants because it's the second most temp sensitive strain I've got after the Ace Malawi. As soon as the temp drops below about 15 degrees celcius the Malawi and the Nev Haze stop growing completely and just sit there and sulk.

scrubdog

Last edited:
Mango Thai Landrace

It's like an alien mutant monster. All my Mango Thai clones have already toppled over under their own weight in wind gusts. No other plants have toppled over. Just a crazy plant.

Below is a closer view of the growing tips. This is what I expect from a proper sativa. Long loose growing tips and they're already bulking up. They're large size too. It's so hard to get a decent sativa these days.

scrubdog

Last edited:
Mango Haze Inbred

The photo below doesn't do it justice unfortunately. I just couldn't get the right angle and still get the lighting I needed for the photo. This is the tallest MNS plant I have followed by the tall Doors plant and then the tallest Black Widow. So my three tallest MNS plants are three different strains... all planted at the same time. Anyway this Mango Haze is possibly my favourite plant at the moment. All my Mango Thai Landrace clones are taller than any MNS strains... so far.

scrubdog

Last edited:
Ace Malawi

Sigh. I've grown 27 Ace Malawi plants so far over two seasons and I still have no opinion to give on this strain. All my research indicated that it was an absolutely killer pure Malawi sativa but all it's done is confuse me. I just haven't managed to dial this strain in yet. One plant out of 27 had huge potential but it was a male (which doesn't worry me at all... I was after a good breeding male) and got bowled by stem rot and mould. All the Malawi were more mould and disease prone than any other strains I grew including all the fat indicas. Very temp sensitive too. Just stops growing when it's cold which is why it's so small still.

Pretty chunky looking for a pure sativa.

scrubdog

Last edited:
Neville Haze X Mango Thai

My own cross from last season. Nev Haze female X Mango Thai Landrace male. Could be interesting.

scrubdog

The Doors

Nice looking plants all things considered though the phenotypes are all over the place.

This one below has Northern Lights structure to it. Short squat indica growth.

This one below is bushy with sativa type leaves.

This one below is tallest Doors plant with much more sativa growth and big floppy sativa type leaves.

scrubdog

Black Widow

Overall so far the Black Widow plants are the most consistent. I'm impressed so far with the health and vigour of the Black Widows and they look nice as well.

Can't find fault with the Black Widow pictured below. It's just a nice plant which ever way you look at it.

scrubdog

Black Widow

Hi

I was always impressed by Black Widow (aka WW) when it first came out. I remember when it cost $200 US for 5 seeds. After reading as many posts as possible about BW I concluded that you need to grow a few packs of seed to find that special Widow plant. So I bought a clearance pack and I'm searching for a killer male to hit my hazes with. That's why I have so many Widow.

Not really sure how to pick a male for possible resin potential but we'll see what happens. When I cross landraces I usually hit them with the biggest alpha male in the bunch. There's usually one that grows bigger and faster than all the others and that's what I usually pick in a male plant unless I spot some other special characteristic that I like such as really big flowers or extra dense flowering heads. I've heard some breeders pick all their parent plants by smell and only choose the really strong smelling plants.

I've never tried this approach so I can't say if it works. I have seen posts on this site that mention very potent plants with no smell or very little smell.

scrubdog

Last edited:
hi scrubdog :)

there is a few quotes from Shanti on choosing plants...

he says plants with a hollow stem are high producers of thc

a big burly plant doesnt always spell success. it could be wasting excess energy on fiber production instead of cannabinoids

also i have seen some breeders pics of their stud and a lot of times the males flowers will be displaying good amounts of trichomes

best vibes to you and all :)

forgot to add: i love the frame and labeling you did on the pics!

Scurbdog, you have some beauties! Totally know what you mean about how different strains respond to your particular climate. Years ago, I bred my own strain that was perfect for me. Called her Big Bertha. Squaty indica dominant, potent hefty buds, acclimated to my climate (great indoors too). Grew nothing else since the early 80's. Then thieft & other circumstances happened & I completely lost the strain. So I started hitting up seed banks on line. Having been out of the loop for so long, I had no idea what these new strains were. So that's what led me to the forums. In addition to Big Bertha, I wish I'd have also looked into new strains once a year to at least keep myself informed, but you know the saying about hind sight. The reason I trapped myself into just one strain was the frustration of trying new ones that just didn't agree with my climate, etc. So yeah,I understand how you feel about the two that sit there practically dormant after a little chill. But at least we both have the experience not to put our entire grow into just one strain, having the bulk of it be what we know does well for us. You've got the touch man. Your babies are pretty, happy & healthy!
-- One point I'd like to stress. While new strains are great, many wonderful improvements, we still need to preserve the originals. The pure indicas, pure sativas that were the ancestors of what we have now. It would be a shame to loose them should they become neglected. I'm inclined to grab up some of the older afghanis for the sake of preservation. Keep up the good grow! :) :) :)

hi scrubdog :)

... a lot of times the males flowers will be displaying good amounts of trichomes

Years ago I read a report on the web from DEA or some US research document that tested cannabis plants from different parts of the world for THC. Something like that. It had a chart and the two highest scoring plants at 10% THC were an Afghani female hash plant and a Thai male plant. Average THC content in plant seizures was only about 3-5% back then.

It's the only reference I've ever read to highly potent male plants. I'll watch out for male plants with trichomes then. Seems to make sense.

scrubdog

Last edited:
Years ago I read a report on the web from DEA or some US research document that tested cannabis plants from different parts of the world for THC. Something like that. It had a chart and the two highest scoring plants at 10% THC were an Afghani female hash plant and a Thai male plant. Average THC content in plant seizures was only about 3-5% back then.

It's the only reference I've ever read to highly potent male plants. I'll watch out for male plants with trichomes then. Seems to make sense.

scrubdog

wow!

illuminating information indeed

a MALE boasting 10% THC? who ever said u cant get high on a male plant? :p

makes me want to hunt for a super stud

thank you for sharing

wow!

illuminating information indeed

a MALE boasting 10% THC? who ever said u cant get high on a male plant? :p

makes me want to hunt for a super stud

thank you for sharing

Some research has shown that in the early stages of growth the males contain more THC than the females (Frank and Rosenthal, Marijuana Grower's Guide, p. 66)

Also when it comes to some Thai strains it can be hard to tell what is female and what is male. Thai plants are notorious for switching sex, being partially hermie, being fully hermie, being sterile and being some indeterminate metrosex thing. I've had really resinous male Thai plants that also had sterile female calyxs.

scrubdog

Last edited:
Back