Has anyone else found a phenotype with 3 true leaves?

Marijuana Botany, Robert Connel Clark, pub. 1981
Polyploidy

Polyploidy is the condition of multiple sets of chromosomes within one cell. Cannabis has 20 chromosomes in the vegetative diploid (2n) condition. Triploid (3n) and tetraploid (4n) individuals have three or four sets of chromosomes and are termed polyploids. It is believed that the haploid condition of 10 chromosomes was likely derived by reduction from a higher (polyploid) ancestral number (Lewis, W. H. 1980). Polyploidy has not been shown to occur naturally in Cannabis; however, it may be induced artificially with colchicine treatments. Colchicine is a poisonous compound extracted from the roots of certain Colchicum species; it inhibits chromosome segregation to daughter cells and cell wall formation, resulting in larger than average daughter cells with multiple chromosome sets. The studies of H. E. Warmke et al. (1942-1944) seem to indicate that colchicine raised drug levels in Cannabis. It is unfortunate that Warmke was unaware of the actual psychoactive ingredients of Cannabis and was therefore unable to extract THC. His crude acetone extract and archaic techniques of bioassay using killifish and small freshwater crustaceans are far from conclusive. He was, however, able to produce both triploid and tetraploid strains of Cannabis with up to twice the potency of dip bid strains (in their ability to kill small aquatic organisms). The aim of his research was to "produce a strain of hemp with materially reduced marijuana content" and his results indicated that polyploidy raised the potency of Cannabis without any apparent increase in fiber quality or yield.

There is more this is just the introductory paragraph.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that book is outdated, and much more about cannabis generics has been discovered. There needs to be a new book but that is a good start for anyone interested in breeding but it has gaps, misinformation, and does not go into depth enough on some subjects. The person who taught me about polypoloidys is on the site and I'm surprised they haven't chimed in yet..

Unfortunately that book is outdated, and much more about cannabis generics has been discovered. There needs to be a new book but that is a good start for anyone interested in breeding but it has gaps, misinformation, and does not go into depth enough on some subjects. The person who taught me about polypoloidys is on the site and I'm surprised they haven't chimed in yet..

No problem. I'll believe R.C.Clark until you can back it up with something other than another internet guy said so. :)

Last edited:
I came here looking for information about three branches per node.

I popped five NL5 x SK1 I won at auction.

100% germ rate, 2/3 M/F ratio.

Both males smaller than all females.

One male exhibits three stems per node and continues to as its branches alternate, forming a spiral staircase pattern but in the golden ratio so that the ones above and below alternate positions.
x
y
z

I wonder for how many nodes he can maintain proper spacing or if he can throughout his life cycle. I wonder if FIM'ing him would (fornicate) this cycle up, I may have to or clone him then kill dad (probably). I've had to FIM females and so far a lot of them just get stunted, grow out some chopped sites, and keep on going. Evidently I'm not removing enough.

He also exhibits very strong leaf deformations in the form of strong curling, different textures on opposite sides of the same leaflet (left to right, not back to front :)), different length leaflets of a leaf (not necessarily the center, I'd need to check on that one), possibly changes in color/shades of green on opposite sides of a leaflet (again left to right, that might be a function of texture).

His stem smells kind of melon-y/burnt rubber like two of his three sisters, and like them he leans toward the sativa side in leaf type. One female has two less leaflets per leaf and her leaflets are wider. Her stem rub smells sweeter than her sisters and overall she is shorter with shorter internode distance and shorter branches...yay an indica dom pheno!

The question is: should I keep this guy, collect his pollen, fertilize his sisters or cuts of them, and find kids that exhibit these traits so they can be bred together to lock it down, or not?

Is Apollo like this, what was special about the original Apollo, I think the Genius cut? Is it also an early flowering pheno of Jack Herer like Cindy is? Can't research that while I type this.....

Last edited:
wow the site aligned the letters xyz to the left even though I entered them staggered by spacing with spaces.

Let me try it again...
__x___
___y__
____z_

I mean, are mutations like these avoided, all things equal? That's a lot work breeding just to find out if these traits are linked to something that makes them unique in desirable characteristics, like yield or terpene profile or high produced, starting with a male. Oh how I wish you'd been female, me bonny lad....

Seen it many times..

The three branch trait is definitely pretty common..

Where it comes from... Nobody will ever know...

I agree it tends to happen on males and after cloning the original seed plant the new clone typically reverts back to regular growth in my experience.

Had one about a year ago in mango haze... Had planned to ise male in breeding bc he was special i thought.. However when his clone went back to normal regular node growth i gave him the axe..

Fun to look at but may or may not be anything special.

Best of luck.

Og

Last edited:
Some very interesting info in this thread. Thanks guys! :cool:

To throw another spanner in the works, how about Duck Foot Cannabis Leafs >>

gallery_1701_1730_497992.jpg

:eek: :D :p

Back