G13 x Afghan Skunk - Let the games begin

High-mish

MNS Hall of Fame
20210915_152153.jpg

The seeds are bathing in the water/bleach/kelp solution and I'll put them in soil tomorrow night. I sterilized all utensils before using them, washed my hands with some soap and afterwards with alcohol gel.

The pH of our tap water was indeed off (8.2) so I adjusted it with some vinegar (added 25ml of it to a 10l bucket) and it's now at 6.0. I added 4 tsp of both bleach and liquid kelp to the vinegar water and let it rest for a few hours (closed off the bucket with a lid). Before putting the seeds in these glasses, I quickly dipped them in hydrogen peroxide, threw it in a small strainer and rinsed the seeds with tap water.

The water became less dark after a few hours, the bleach is probably responsible for it. It's hereby proven: Bleach is racist!

The smaller cups contain some of the last autoflower seeds in my seed stash. Looking fwd to tomorrow night!

High-mish

MNS Hall of Fame
20210917_023138.jpg

Just drilled holes in 18 (hard plastic) cups with a (3 mm) wood drill bit. Thanks to @Fish for suggesting this over here and to @CannaFish for confirming that this is a workable solution. It took me +/- 10 minutes to get it done, just make sure you clean the bit after each cup as the plastic will get stuck in the bit. I'll get a metal drill bit next week as these are better suited for drilling plastic.

High-mish

MNS Hall of Fame
Put those holes in the lower side edges all around the bottom.
You'll find holes on the direct bottom are clogged the second you put the container down on a solid surface.
Jus' tryna help.
The bottom is a bit hollow so the holes don't touch the surface immediately, there's about 2mm of space. But will try to drill some holes retroactively on the sides tomorrow.

High-mish

MNS Hall of Fame
Underneath you can see the beans swimming in the bleach pool. 13 of the 18 beans showed a radicle so far so these were put in premoistened cups (moistened with the bleach/kelp water solution). We'll give the other 5 another day to show some progress.

rsz_20210917_041714.jpg

My germination tray (left) was too small for 18 cups so I'm using a transparent Curver box for the 13 cups and will keep the 5 remaining cups moist in the germination tray until those 5 beans show their radicle. I didn't have enough plastic straws at home but will get some tomorrow and punch them through the soil until the bottom. If I want to add a small wooden stick later on, I can do so in the space of the plastic straw so I don't damage the roots.

20210917_044140.jpg

And after a few hours of work, we're allowed to get some of this :) According to connoisseurs, this is now the best absinthe in the world. Absinthe usually turns white or green after adding (cold) water but this one is yellow because a certain spice was added to the recipe for taste and coloring. This is amazing stuff, go check it out!

rsz_20210917_045945.jpg

Attachments

Fish

View attachment 54030

Just drilled holes in 18 (hard plastic) cups with a (3 mm) wood drill bit. Thanks to @Fish for suggesting this over here and to @CannaFish for confirming that this is a workable solution. It took me +/- 10 minutes to get it done, just make sure you clean the bit after each cup as the plastic will get stuck in the bit. I'll get a metal drill bit next week as these are better suited for drilling plastic.
No worries High-mish, cheers!

High-mish

MNS Hall of Fame
16 out of the 18 beans showed a radicle by yesterday night. I dropped the remaining 2 in a cup as well and hope for the best.

In the afternoon they'll get their first 2 hours of sunlight, will post some pictures then.

High-mish

MNS Hall of Fame
PhotoPuma_20210925_205218.jpg

6 are going in the right direction, 3 are somewhere in limbo and 9 are still sleeping, somewhere in the outskirts of walhalla.
I hope and pray for 4-5 strong females to work with. Time will tell..

They're now getting 8 hours of sunlight a day on the balcony and rest of the day (+/- 16 hours) they're under some CFL's.

Btw: none of those 3 autoflower seeds germinated so I've learned another important lesson: never ever buy seeds that are in promotion. They're not worth it and there's probably a 'good reason' why they're in promotion.