Fenotrigo in sativas

Hey guys.
Regarding the Freakshow, it's certainly a unique line.
I usually stay away from so called "mutant" lines, but for some reason this one sparked my interest, and rightly so.
Let's forget about the leaf morphology for minute, the Freakshow has some of the most unique Terp and Cannabinoid profiles I have ever come across.
It really is special.
Reputedly it has Train wreck and big Sur holy in the genetics.
Obviously I have to go with what the breeder says.
Basically he says he has always been interested in unique types, and noticed the different leaf morphology in his lines and selected for those, resulting in the Freakshow.
There are a few theory's going around, but I'm not going to get into those.
Now, I'm just throwing around ideas here, I'm not saying this is what it is.
But I've actually been considering the leaf morphology might be a primordial throw back ?
As crazy as it might sound.
Now this could be just due to mutant genes, there have no studies I am aware of regarding the Freakshow.
So I am really unsure.
Please understand this is only an idea.
As far fetched as it may be.
As I work with this line I am falling in love more and more with it
It may just be a novelty I get sick of, but for the he time being I'm happy to play with something unique and interesting.
Im working through F2,s ATM and finding some interesting leaf morphology.
When I was first going through them I was just germinating a looking for the Freakshow expression, now having further grown the regular looking seedlings out, I have been finding a good percentage carrying irregular leaf morphology, mainly the so called saw tooth types.
It will be interesting to see what results come out in the F3 using these types.
Anyway, definitely something interesting and worthy of giving a go.
Production isn't to bad, with some yielding very well .
However if your looking for a high production plant, probably not your thing.
More of a personal smoke you keep around to share with mates.
Well guys, hope your all having a great day
Interesting thread.
Much love, Sensient

That freakshow is a wild, feral looking plant that I find very interesting. Very cool direction you're moving in, Sensient. Well done.

I also select toward the fenotrigo bud morphology, call it foxtail, stacked calyxes, dreadlocks , whatever. I've read that sativas with this trait were culled by most early (20th century) breeders because of low yields and long flowering times. Always those commercial interests fucking up a gift from God.

Next grow I'm planning to try SE Asian genetics for the first time, a cultivar collected from NW Vietnam, referred to by a Canadian grower who had an early connection to Nevil as "haze in seed form." The fenotrigo structure of these cured buds is what convinced me to buy it and try it.

ScreenHunter 225.jpg

Fenotrigo technically means wheat. Corros del zorro actually means foxtail. The way I've seen the words used fenotrigo is a more extreme foxtail where chalices stack on top of each other. Each chalice is technically where a seed could have gone. While foxtailing is more general. Lots of awesome ladies foxtail on top of the buds. But a fenotrigo pheno will basically only grow chalices.
I'm sure theres a spectrum like anything and also cause vs genetics. The most extreme fenotrigos phenos grow stacked chalices no matter the enviorment. A sativa with fenotrigo in its genome will resort to chalice growth when it experiences high dry heat. Hopefully we start seeing fenotrigo used more broadly.
Hey guys.
Regarding the Freakshow, it's certainly a unique line.
I usually stay away from so called "mutant" lines, but for some reason this one sparked my interest, and rightly so.
Let's forget about the leaf morphology for minute, the Freakshow has some of the most unique Terp and Cannabinoid profiles I have ever come across.
It really is special.
Reputedly it has Train wreck and big Sur holy in the genetics.
Obviously I have to go with what the breeder says.
Basically he says he has always been interested in unique types, and noticed the different leaf morphology in his lines and selected for those, resulting in the Freakshow.
There are a few theory's going around, but I'm not going to get into those.
Now, I'm just throwing around ideas here, I'm not saying this is what it is.
But I've actually been considering the leaf morphology might be a primordial throw back ?
As crazy as it might sound.
Now this could be just due to mutant genes, there have no studies I am aware of regarding the Freakshow.
So I am really unsure.
Please understand this is only an idea.
As far fetched as it may be.
As I work with this line I am falling in love more and more with it
It may just be a novelty I get sick of, but for the he time being I'm happy to play with something unique and interesting.
Im working through F2,s ATM and finding some interesting leaf morphology.
When I was first going through them I was just germinating a looking for the Freakshow expression, now having further grown the regular looking seedlings out, I have been finding a good percentage carrying irregular leaf morphology, mainly the so called saw tooth types.
It will be interesting to see what results come out in the F3 using these types.
Anyway, definitely something interesting and worthy of giving a go.
Production isn't to bad, with some yielding very well .
However if your looking for a high production plant, probably not your thing.
More of a personal smoke you keep around to share with mates.
Well guys, hope your all having a great day
Interesting thread.
Much love, Sensient

Thanks for the great breeding info. Tyats the exact type of work I'd love to do think your spot on with the primordial. Leaf morphology as well as stem petiole color are most certainly throwback traits in some lines. But having the actual breeding work to explore that is what it's all about!

That freakshow is a wild, feral looking plant that I find very interesting. Very cool direction you're moving in, Sensient. Well done.

I also select toward the fenotrigo bud morphology, call it foxtail, stacked calyxes, dreadlocks , whatever. I've read that sativas with this trait were culled by most early (20th century) breeders because of low yields and long flowering times. Always those commercial interests fucking up a gift from God.

Next grow I'm planning to try SE Asian genetics for the first time, a cultivar collected from NW Vietnam, referred to by a Canadian grower who had an early connection to Nevil as "haze in seed form." The fenotrigo structure of these cured buds is what convinced me to buy it and try it.

View attachment 51595
Bit off topic, sorry guys. Marcus can you give some indication of how often that particular phenotype pops up in those beans. I think this is the same oneIMG_20210119_001620.png

I seem to remember something about Tom Hill not being ..uhh...dead (lack of better wording, scuse please).
I could very well be mistaken what with short term memory loss and all that.
I'm having this memory fart of Tom Hills death being a internet rumor that was debunked.
I wish I could pull something more from my thick head.....but that's all I have for right now.
Hah, got it...
Tom is alive, I received contact & can confirm it is actually him.

My embarrassment in the involvement in his death is only exceeded by my happiness
that he is still with us.

Long live Tom Hill
Both rumor and rescind from Chimera from here
and here

I hate those brain farts that you know but can't remember fully enough to spit it out.

Bit off topic, sorry guys. Marcus can you give some indication of how often that particular phenotype pops up in those beans. I think this is the same one

I believe you are correct, #NightMare#, I think that's the same plant actually. I don't know how often fenotrigo popos up in that line, but my guess is better than 10% of the time.I just realized that he's the same dude whose IG posts are reproduced here by Piffcat. Man, he's growing some cool shit, including the Outback Haze. Speaking of which, I have some Outback Haze crosses to NH21xMML on the way, and they're going to cut in line in front of the Vietnamese. I think I'm just as likely to find fenotrigo bud structure though.

Back