Fenotrigo in sativas

piffcat

I've been trying to do research on colombian and mexican landraces and came across a cool term I'd never heard before-fenotrigo. Genetic calyx foxtail. Its straight translation is wheat. Sure we all like foxtail but it's not just looks. This adaptation by extreme tropical plants as a reaction survive genetically in high heat and humidity areas. So it's a marker for interesting plants for sure. But then I read that when plants grow this single stacked calyxs they are significantly more potent with cannabinoids. Almost like all the thc of buds shoved into chalices. I think subcool had a similar theory.
These plants offer very desirable traits for breeding. I had no idea how numerous they were but just punch #fenotrigo on insta tons of nice pics. Since it's a spanish word brings up mostly all colombians some Mexicans all beautiful. I have seen demon latched from mystic funk has an awesome pheno like this . (Oaxcan x o haze)
Nevil couldnof had a field day with these. He was always stressing that cannabis breeding came down to the best individual plants like chrysanthemums. This is a great example . An f1 could provide of these fenotrigo would be sweet.Screenshot_20210505-183614_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20210505-183717_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20210505-183638_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20210505-183645_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20210505-183724_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20210505-183731_Instagram.jpg

MODS (Musashi): I meant to post this in Piffcat's thread. Please move posts 6-10 to that thread so we don't derail this one. Thanks.

On the topic of piff, did anyone else see Shanti's post on IG with his autographed pic of Fidel? I replied, asking; Is it unreasonable to connect these dots?
  • Shanti's tale on IG
  • Early Holland seed bank days
  • Diplomatic connection to Cuba, help setting up the business
  • First batches of HzA and HzC F1s
  • Piff appears in NYC a couple years later
  • Dominicans/Cubans tightly control vertically integrated production/distribution network
  • Piff
  • Cuban Black Haze
Was Shanti around in the early seed bank days? Was he referring to the Nevil days in his IG post? Was it Nevil who had the Cuban connection via Belgium to Cuba or was it Shanti?

Finally, it occurred to me the irony that NYC and east coast folks worship the piff and actively seek it while in California, where haze originated, they like nothing more than stupefying OGs.

Last edited:
Marcus_in_the_Darkus, said: "Finally, it occurred to me the irony that NYC and east coast folks worship the piff and actively seek it..."

So interesting. I have lived in New York State my whole life. I never heard of piff in my life until I joined this site.
WTH?

Longball

Last edited:
Marcus_in_the_Darkus, said: "Finally, it occurred to me the irony that NYC and east coast folks worship the piff and actively seek it..."

So interesting. I have lived in New York State my whole life. Been smoking for 51 years. All my connections were out of NYC. I never heard of piff in my life until I joined this site. None of the 50 plus year smokers I know have ever heard of piff either.
WTH?

Longball
I think piff is a catch all phrase for good weed. “Epiphany”
Guys in NY called it Haze. So many NY Spanish Harlem stories from different people. Several online stories about the big busts coming in trailer trucks from Florida etc...

Back to fenotrigo. I'm certain the excellent trippy effect and incredible churchy terps of my Angel's Breathe F2 keeper are associated with its expression of this trait. The beauty is, unlike most viney sativas that exhibit fenotrigo, she yields massively when grown and flowered properly to 16-18 weeks. I've only done so once, my first round, when she yielded 143 grams of dried bud out of a 4-gal hempy bucket with six other plants under 600W of COBs.

ABF25 cola Brady.jpg

Last edited:
Back to fenotrigo. I'm certain the excellent trippy effect and incredible churchy terps of my Angel's Breathe F2 keeper are associated with its expression of this trait. The beauty is, unlike most viney sativas that exhibit fenotrigo, she yields massively when grown and flowered properly to 16-18 weeks. I've only done so once, my first round, when she yielded 143 grams of dried bud out of a 4-gal hempy bucket with six other plants under 600W of COBs.

View attachment 51141
Ok then I will buy 2 more COB leds and throw my hps out.
That looks awesome.
2 full spectrum and 2 sunshine will be good?

View attachment 51141
That’s wicked

MODS (Musashi): I meant to post this in Piffcat's thread. Please move posts 6-10 to that thread so we don't derail this one. Thanks.

On the topic of piff, did anyone else see Shanti's post on IG with his autographed pic of Fidel? I replied, asking; Is it unreasonable to connect these dots?
  • Shanti's tale on IG
  • Early Holland seed bank days
  • Diplomatic connection to Cuba, help setting up the business
  • First batches of HzA and HzC F1s
  • Piff appears in NYC a couple years later
  • Dominicans/Cubans tightly control vertically integrated production/distribution network
  • Piff
  • Cuban Black Haze
Was Shanti around in the early seed bank days? Was he referring to the Nevil days in his IG post? Was it Nevil who had the Cuban connection via Belgium to Cuba or was it Shanti?

Finally, it occurred to me the irony that NYC and east coast folks worship the piff and actively seek it while in California, where haze originated, they like nothing more than stupefying OGs.
I think shanti reached Holland in 1990 or just after. The seedbank was done by then. But nevil was distributing huge amounts of seeds all over the usa in the seedbank days. Also there were numerous combinations made with the hazes, some most people haven't even heard of.

Wicked indeed. And the finished product is world-class herb.

Cannalicious, I have 320W of 1500K COBs and another 320W of 3000K. I'd go all 3500K or even 4700K if I did it again. Closer spectrum to highland elevations. Good for fonotrigo expressions, I'd think.
so, I have a hypothesis, that developed from not having a AC and running 4k HPS. hot days, cool nights, really good air flow, and lots of UV and IR so as to mimic the regions where desert goes up the mountain to begin transitioning to scrubland. would provide the most wonderful hashplant expressions.

Is it just me, or does elevation, or indoors, light saturation, and spectral quality seem to play the biggest part in how a plant expresses itself?

Potency is relative to the amount of thc in a specific weight to a percentage of the total . So strains with this growth pattern naturally will be more potent due to less vegetative matter in a sample. That's just what I believe. IG

I totally agree my articles referrd to this as diversion . If its a mutation or adaptation the plant creates supplies calculated for normal size buds. continues to grow same resin aa normal buds as long as fenotrigo not result of stress

so, I have a hypothesis, that developed from not having a AC and running 4k HPS. hot days, cool nights, really good air flow, and lots of UV and IR so as to mimic the regions where desert goes up the mountain to begin transitioning to scrubland. would provide the most wonderful hashplant expressions.

Is it just me, or does elevation, or indoors, light saturation, and spectral quality seem to play the biggest part in how a plant expresses itself?

Absolutely. Fenotrigo phenos are an adaptation to high temps but low humidity . Gives them closer acess to the node of stem giving all chalices close to internal brix.

Found a few real nice fenotrigos grown by uniqueflowerllc. First 2 are killer c5 haze. This was an r and d strain thru ace never offered for sale. The last one is killer a5 which was released. Both nevils closes are outcross to killer malawi and the line really let's the old hazes shine thru. Instead of becoming more indica in each gen of inbred this killer Malawi really just seems to replace bad features and bring new good ones! These guys uniqueflower grow lots of cool shit
Screenshot_20210602-181855_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20210602-181908_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20210602-182013_Instagram.jpg

Back