Electrical problems

how far is it from that outlet box to the panel? if it were me, while i was at it id pull some 12 gauge wire and pop 20 amp outlets in.
even if you dont need the exta amp availability, it gives a better buffer when getting closer to the limit of 15 amps. which you should only be running at 80%, so more like 12 amps.

i just ran aluminum from a new 200a service to bring 100a to the house. electrical engineer didnt mention any issues with aluminum, just differnent sizes required in aluminum vs copper.. but maybe it falls in that "new technology" alloy that shouldnt be as much of a problem. it is direct burial cable, and over sized at 3/0.
also, you can get a whole house surge protector, fairly simple to wire it into the panel, about $50. better than a bunch of surge strips.

how far is it from that outlet box to the panel? if it were me, while i was at it id pull some 12 gauge wire and pop 20 amp outlets in.
even if you dont need the exta amp availability, it gives a better buffer when getting closer to the limit of 15 amps. which you should only be running at 80%, so more like 12 amps.

i just ran aluminum from a new 200a service to bring 100a to the house. electrical engineer didnt mention any issues with aluminum, just differnent sizes required in aluminum vs copper.. but maybe it falls in that "new technology" alloy that shouldnt be as much of a problem. it is direct burial cable, and over sized at 3/0.
also, you can get a whole house surge protector, fairly simple to wire it into the panel, about $50. better than a bunch of surge strips.
That is the plan. Thanks for the input brah!

🤙Mu

Good luck! I don’t know jack about electrical. I feel like I should take a class at the community college considering my house is over 100 years old.
Ha the last house I lived in was built in 1942. One day I had a problem with the forced air gas furnace and called the man. He was incredulous to find that someone used flex hosing for the gas line and power was got through an orange extension cord run through the attic. Back then they used newspaper for insulation. The whole attic was filled with newspaper insulation :eek: This was not disclosed by home inspection before buying the house. IMO, some house inspectors often times just want to help sell the home for their cut.

🤙Mu

Went to the dark light side today. And where is @MImedpatient to share the good news? Sprung for the LED HLG 350R's. They were on sale and when I went to the site to buy, I got an addtional 10% off which helped combat my objections to the initial cost of LED. I'm excited to see if they will make a noticeable difference in quality of product. @Ronin suggested quite a while ago as to the switch. Well, I'm happy to say I finally made it. Not looking back- they will cut my amp usage by 4A! Happy, happy, joy, joy!

🤙Mu

CannaFish said: "my house is over 100 years old."

musashi said: "House built in "92."

Damn, it must be nice fat-catting like Fat Freddy's Cat in new houses. My house was built in 1890! A well, septic,......what's this electrical wiring y'all jabbering about?

Longball

Damn, it must be nice fat-catting like Fat Freddy's Cat in new houses. My house was built in 1890! A well, septic,......what's this electrical wiring y'all jabbering about?

Longball
It's all in your head brah lol!
stuttgartposter.jpg

🤙Mu

Don't use a higher rated "amp breaker" (we call them fuses in blighty!) if you draw more it won't fail and the fuse will keep on trucking until you get a fire somewhere down the line probably like your sockets there trying to melt!

Easier to replace a fuse than put out an electrical/house fire.

AFAIK the only thing we use Aluminium Wire here with a current is for electric fencing.

That HLG350R is an awesome looking little unit (y)

The LED's are awesome, I still can't get over the growth rate in veg when they get in the zone. I was doing 6 day comparisons on another forum at one point just to highlight the growth rate once you push past the germination stage and hit your first true leaves man do they fly!

Is this your first time with LED's?

I've used the cheaper chi-com models for vegging and horiz. supplement and they have been great but never transitioned the room with those lights partly bc I didn't like the purple light. It is difficult to see disease and pests in that kind of light. But as far as full spectrum, high-end commercial grade lighting, yes this is my first time. Been waiting for a reason to overcome the cost objection as earlier the technology just wasn't there to justify. Enormous strides just in the last two years with prices finally coming down and efficiencies approaching 2.9 PPF/W is good reason to take another look. Once I made the decision I didn't look back, As they've been hanging for almost a week, I am so thoroughly impressed that I definitely am not looking back. Thanks for asking.

🤙Mu

Yeah, I opted for the more expensive solution. Replace outlet and buy $1200 in LED lighting lol. The plants are already responding positively and so buyer's remorse is receding 😁

🤙Mu
Hey Mu, I too recently made the switch to LED's and I'm never turning back, denser buds, less heat, less cost , full spectrum(indoors) and if i'm seeing what i'm seeing with mine, they are expressing a more complete morphogenic expression. I will be doing all of my selecting/crosses under LED, in the very close future they will overtake and run the AG world indoors, so why not make selections based off of what people will be running those selections under, ie LEDs = better overall growing experience with less hassel selecting keepers, due to enhance chemovar/phenotypical expression . RB 💪

Hey Mu, I too recently made the switch to LED's and I'm never turning back, denser buds, less heat, less cost , full spectrum(indoors) and if i'm seeing what i'm seeing with mine, they are expressing a more complete morphogenic expression. I will be doing all of my selecting/crosses under LED, in the very close future they will overtake and run the AG world indoors, so why not make selections based off of what people will be running those selections under, ie LEDs = better overall growing experience with less hassel selecting keepers, due to enhance chemovar/phenotypical expression . RB 💪
with led imo I get better branching in most cases due to better spread of light . Which also equates to faster growth earlier than with other lighting options.

Longball
I lived for about 16 years in a house built in 1890 on Rainey Street in Austin. I LOVED that place but the electrical and plumbing were both... interesting.

@PlantManBee said: "I lived for about 16 years in a house built in 1890 on Rainey Street in Austin. I LOVED that place but the electrical and plumbing were both... interesting."

ha ha yeah, when I repair something I notice I am fixing the cob job of 1990 that ''fixed' the cob job of 1965 that 'fixed' the cob job of 1940 that 'fixed'.......but the shit they used in 1890 is pretty damn solid.

Longball

Longball

me too my house from 1890

Aloha @Merlins Beard, @Ronin Bred, @Islandgrower!

They say in adversity lies opportunity. A burned out plug leads to the realization of overload and it goes from there lol. I have yet to complete a full grow under these new LED's but you appear to be right about more complete expression. And while I continue to learn, adjusting to this different environment, they are responding positively. Here are a few that are fully extended in prayer mode after a prophylactic spray. I'm glad to have made the conversion.

nw3 10_14.jpgnw1 10_15.jpgnw6 10_15.jpg

🤙mu

Went to the dark light side today. And where is @MImedpatient to share the good news? Sprung for the LED HLG 350R's. They were on sale and when I went to the site to buy, I got an addtional 10% off which helped combat my objections to the initial cost of LED. I'm excited to see if they will make a noticeable difference in quality of product. @Ronin suggested quite a while ago as to the switch. Well, I'm happy to say I finally made it. Not looking back- they will cut my amp usage by 4A! Happy, happy, joy, joy!

🤙Mu
Yes sir!!! always better to be the leading edge, not the bleeding edge, and yea 4A is a lot of savings, and with increases in energy costs = no brainer , glad you made the switch Mu! RB💪

Back