El Niño ~ La Niña Comparison thread.

gratitude

Hey Folks, Starting this grow log thread and I'd like to fill you in on how it's gone thus far.

My plan was to do a simple side by side comparison but I'd been sold recalled seed stock and the La Niñas didn't germinate. For the El Niño, I had a Feminized 5pk. 3 plants grew out of those 5 seeds. They are doing well and we'll get to pics soon. I PM'd Shantibaba and ask to be put on the list for when the new batch of La Niñas were ready and told my story. He sent me out some more seeds Free of charge, even though it wasn't his fault the vendor sold recalled stock.
Gratitude and respect Sir.

So here I am, with 3 El Niño plants that are about to flower which is about when I will germinate my La Niña seeds.

So it is/will be a comparison thread but it won't quite be a side-by-side.
I'm going to try and run the El Niño clones next to the La Niña seedlings so you can at least have them in the same frame, even if it's not quite "apples to apples" on growth rates/patterns.

I would like to point out that while this should be the same plant even the listed lineage is different.
GHS says Haze x Super Skunk x Brazilian x So Indian

The El Niño girls are almost ready to flower but I thought I'd catch the thread up.

Oh yeah...the specs as it were...
I grow in a cab I designed.
400w HPS for flower, 65w and 55w CFL's for veg.
In Soil (Root's Organics)
With Root's Organics Nutrients
The Flower Chamber is aprox 30"w X 20"d 40"h

Space is a major limiting factor. I'm going to try and grow as many plants as I can in 1 gal pots. Actual # of plants will help determine size of pot and training style.

Ok so let's get with the present and not so much "the plan".
3 El Niño, plants. Plant A, came up first,2 days later plants B and C popped through the soil.
Germinated on the 18th of September. Xplanted on October 11 and then again on November 1st.
4 tired but only 3 were to survive.
101109ElNino_Seedlings.jpg

Now to meet them individually. Taken 10-19-09.
I'm trying to pay close attention for selection purposes, I've never had more than one Female of the same strain before.
Plant A
101909ElNino_A_profile.jpg

101909ElNino_A_top.jpg

Plant B - Note the leaf deformity, this characteristic shows up to a limited extent throughout veg.
101909ElNino_B_profile.jpg

101909ElNino_B_top.jpg

Plant C - Smallest of the group, runt if you will...but not unhealthy.
101909ElNino_C_top.jpg

101909ElNino_C_profile.jpg

Group C,B,A.
101909ElNino_Seedlings_CBA.jpg

I'll do my best to be regular/timely with updates but no promises. I do however FULLY intend to complete this grow log so keep an eye out.

Grat

P.S. I'm not a noob, but Feedback is welcome. I don't know you all very well but I'm looking forward to learning with a new group of growers. Let's have a chat while they grow:cool:

I swear I'm not trying to pad my post count, I've never seen a 4 pic attachment limit before.:eek:

Ok so we are not up to date yet.
10-21-09
Plant A
102109ElNino_A_top.jpg

Plant B
102109ElNino_B_top.jpg

Plant C
102109ElNino_C_top.jpg

10-28-09 ~ pics are a bit blury this time, really sorry about that but you can still get the idea of growth rate and structure, that's really all the pics are about at this point anyway.

Plant A
102809ElNino_A_profile.jpg

102809ElNino_A_top.jpg

Plant B
102809ElNino_B_top.jpg

Here's the group in the top shelf of my veg chamber in my grow-cab.
10-31-09, the day before transplant.
103109ElNino_Group.jpg

11-01-09
A Plant
110109ElNino_A_top2.jpg

B Plant
110109ElNino_B_top2.jpg

C Plant
110109ElNino_C_top.jpg

More pics from 11-01-09

The group after X-plant.
110109ElNino_Group.jpg

If I could only recommend one product...
110109ElNino_roots_myco.jpg

The stems on these plants are amazingly thick. Like none I've seen.
110109ElNino_stem1.jpg

Beautiful Root growth.
110109ElNino_roots.jpg

Only question? Where is the Haze?!?

Grat

Last edited:
11-06-09
Plant C
110609ElNino_C_profile.jpg

110609ElNino_C_top.jpg

Group A.B.C
110609ElNino_Group.jpg

Fat Indica looking fan leaf fingers... Again, where's the Haze?
I'm looking for a Hazy plant from this comparison but it seems that none will be found in the GHS gear.
110609ElNino_coin.jpg

Last edited:
LST Time.

11-11-09
Since I only ended up with three plants and this is going to be my personal stash while I grow the Niña's I've decided to bend them over for efficiency/yield.

Plant A
111109ElNino_A_profile.jpg

111109ElNino_A_LST.jpg

Plant B
111109ElNino_B_LST.jpg

111109ElNino_B_new_growth.jpg

Last edited:
HHHG - Yes I am, I'm really excited to see what they do. Getting to know a new line... After all this time I'm FINALLY going to actually work with Shanti's genetics. Never expected this much exclusive focus on the GHS strain when I started on this path.

Thus far, I'd say I might just keep a mother of the B plant here beyond the comparison...everything depends on the high though.
Really ideal strain for those with severe hight constraints that don't wan't to grow LR.

I've never seen stems like this before...incredibly thick. I've also never transplanted in the the 3gal pots so early. They've really had room to stretch their roots early and they've had a couple of weeks of veg under a 400w. These are conditions that the next round will not experience and that I've never observed before. I'm hoping that these advantages will result in a great yield, but that ppl will understand when I grow 6+ La Nina's in 1 gal pots it's not quite Apples to Apples.

Anyway. The thing to note for those just joining is that this strain supposed to be the same strain that won the cup, it's supposed to be a Haze X Widow.
The listed lineage differs slightly from Shanti's and this plant seem's nothing like a (Haze X Super Skunk) X (Brazillian Sativa X South Indian). If you go to the GHS website and find the page on this strain there is a video where they show this plant growing and talk about it a bit. I will say that these plants that I have seem very much like the one in the video and they seem fairly homogeneous. I will say that if I was making a descision based on lineage and chose to grow El Nino...I'd be a little frustrated. These things are oozing Indica in every way.

I personally value the Haze high above all others. I've never had in my possession a plant that produced it...it's my quest. Preferably one that flowered in 9-10 wks. I have high hopes for the La Nina.
I'd like to point out that Shanti's Nina has no Skunk.

I'm still not current with these pics so I'm going to continue the updates.

11-15-09
Plant A
111509ElNino_A_profile.jpg

111509ElNino_A_top.jpg

Plant C
111509ElNino_C_profile.jpg

111509ElNino_C_top.jpg

11-15-09
Group A,B,C,
111509ElNino_Group_profile.jpg

111509ElNino_Group_top.jpg

Well can't say that I'm disappointed with the health and vigor or these plants. I hope the high is not too bland.

Just switched to a brand new (EYE) Hortilux 400w HPS from a Sunmaster Warm D MH that I was vegging under for a few weeks.

I've got so much room for them to stretch, hope they do a little so that there is room for airflow between the buds.

Grat

11-15-09
Group A,B,C,
111509ElNino_Group_profile.jpg

111509ElNino_Group_top.jpg

Well can't say that I'm disappointed with the health and vigor or these plants. I hope the high is not too bland.

Just switched to a brand new (EYE) Hortilux 400w HPS from a Sunmaster Warm D MH that I was vegging under for a few weeks.

I've got so much room for them to stretch, hope they do a little so that there is room for airflow between the buds.

Grat

Back