Early Haze Outdoors

B

BobbyDigital

Howdy all,

Nice to be growing with you all, and glad to meet everyone. Much respect to MNS for organizing this.

When these beans arrive they will be germinated using a heat mat, starter tray, and compost, and put under a double 2 ft. fluoro fixture. After a week above ground, they will be taken outside and planted in deep holes filled with half compost, and half of the soil dug out of the holes. This is happening at 39 Degrees North latitude; last frost occurs ~ April 15, and first frost occurs ~ Oct 15.

I usually add ammendments after harvest the previous year, but the last few years have been a little crazy and I don't really want to get into that unless you all want to know a little background. I'll figure something out for them to eat.

The plot they will be in has not been used in three years, and is going to be cleared today when I get off work. I'll try to take pictures of the process.

My normal plot is full of plants already, MNS Early Pearl Skunk x Haze, which are very close in parentage to the ones that will be arriving, and should make for an interesting comparison between the two. There is also a clone of Trainwreck in the bunch that was acquired from a friend.

See you all around, and may Persephone bless all your test crops,

Bobby

Last edited:
Well, that was not a very good trip. The spot that I had planned to use is extremely overgrown now, and my hatchet broke on the second swing.

Animals have got into my first spot, and there are only 4 plants left, maybe 5 if one pulls through.

See you all around.

hello BobbyD,
sorry to here about your misfortune.

but WELCOME ABOARD THE EARLY HAZE TRAIN!.:D

I can only hope it was the TW that bit the dust.lol me bad!;)

#

Hi # (I call you 'pound' in my head, haha) and Joe,

Round 2 is tomorrow. The TW was one of the survivors, although it did get a chunk taken out. It made me decide to veg the beans that come indoors until they are a little bit bigger. I've never had this issue before, of small rodents eating seedlings. Plenty of deer have eaten full plants, but I've never lost seedlings to rodents.

The compost might have attracted them. I use a big compost pile, turning it with a pitchfork, and I can't guarantee that it all gets fully composted, so probably smells pretty tasty to rodents. I usually add compost 6 months earlier, and didn't consider that. I'm going to haul it to the new plot tomorrow so as to let it air out without plants there.

Hey there Bobby D!
Welcome to the Early Haze Familia!
You might want to check out "arbico-organics.com":cool:
they have a product called "Repels-All" from Bonide that you top dress around your plants and that stuff works! It also stinks mightily!
I combine that with above and below ground chicken wire to help deter animal thieves. those darn rodents can slip through the chicken wire, but when they smell this stuff they go runnin':eek:..... there are even a few components that are good for plant growth, like seaweed.
Good luck:D

Hey fellow EQHaze growers

I too am gonna give the EQ and EQ Haze a go outdoors. Mine are on there 6th set of leaves, not much smell yet, but looking good. Im pulling up a seat here, this should be a good thread.

Danny

Howdy all,

Nice to be growing with you all, and glad to meet everyone. Much respect to MNS for organizing this.

When these beans arrive they will be germinated using a heat mat, starter tray, and compost, and put under a double 2 ft. fluoro fixture. After a week above ground, they will be taken outside and planted in deep holes filled with half compost, and half of the soil dug out of the holes. This is happening at 39 Degrees North latitude; last frost occurs ~ April 15, and first frost occurs ~ Oct 15.

I usually add ammendments after harvest the previous year, but the last few years have been a little crazy and I don't really want to get into that unless you all want to know a little background. I'll figure something out for them to eat.

The plot they will be in has not been used in three years, and is going to be cleared today when I get off work. I'll try to take pictures of the process.

My normal plot is full of plants already, MNS Early Pearl Skunk x Haze, which are very close in parentage to the ones that will be arriving, and should make for an interesting comparison between the two. There is also a clone of Trainwreck in the bunch that was acquired from a friend.

See you all around, and may Persephone bless all your test crops,

Bobby

Hi Bobby,
may I make a few suggestions to help you?

1. make sure the young seedlings have alot of roots in the cups and harden plants off to sun well before transplanting.
2. Use a strong and effective pesticide while seedlings are growing and use it weekly up until bloom starts. I use Bonide {rooteone and pyrethrum combo}
has a 3 day half life in the sun and is ok to use on fruit trees and vegetables up to harvest date.I do not use anything once flowers set,as this is resin time and most bugs cant hang at this point.
This will let most plants survive the juvenile stage and protect from aphids,whiteflys,hoppers and many other sucking insects.
irrigate the seedlings the first 2-3 weeks if possible and after this they should do it fine.
Its all about the roots mate,Big Roots = Big Yield.

I try to time my outdoor set to coincide with the start of the rainy season...check your local weather and go from that.

Onward Thru the Fog!
scorpion

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMGP1098.JPG
    IMGP1098.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMGP1116.JPG
    IMGP1116.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
hello BobbyD,

fair dues sir! YOU WILL see things through.:)

It took strength to post that info, I hope you and your familly have a great season.:cool:

#

confusing

When I check the light hours for your latitude 39* and 12 hours of darkness doesn't start until around Sept 20th so that only leaves about 4 weeks flowering. when I grew outdoors last summer at 45* latitude in was very disappointing!! Can you explain. I am confused:confused: Thanks Shogirl:p:)

When I check the light hours for your latitude 39* and 12 hours of darkness doesn't start until around Sept 20th so that only leaves about 4 weeks flowering. when I grew outdoors last summer at 45* latitude in was very disappointing!! Can you explain. I am confused:confused: Thanks Shogirl:p:)

shogirl, im far from an expert but i think the plants will start flowering outdoors when they notice a decline in the amount of sunlight each day. Im at 40degN and my first grow last year i noticed plants starting to flower as early as the second week of august, its all down to genetics and some are more photosenstive than others and will start their reproduction stage when they feel the season is coming to an end.

Hi all,

Eddie has it right. The plant uses a chemical called phytochrome to measure the ratio of the amount of time it is getting hit with light to the amount of time it is not getting hit with light. It doesn't actually measure in hours or anything like that, but really the ratio of light time to dark time. Under natural outdoor conditions, to a plant, this ratio increases, tapers off, then starts decreasing. When it starts decreasing and the plant recognizes this, the hormones start flowing, and it will start to flower.

Phytochrome actually plays a part in gene expression, meaning that the power of light, it's spectrum, and light/dark times will all effect the phenotypic expression of the plant. It's actually a fairly complex system, and is the reason why some plants that are used to equatorial like environments will not do well in northerly climates. They can take forever to start flowering, and then when they finally do, they will take forever to ripen.

Last edited:
thanks alot bobdig and eddiesaw, that explains it now and my confusion has been lifted whooo:eek: .Very technical but amazing how plants work and have been evolving longer than we have. Shogirl

Hi shogirl,

No problem, I was just going to post the actual numbers from my area to give you a better idea:

In my area right now the days are about 14 1/2 hours long, nights are 9 1/2.
On the longest day of the year, June 21st, about a month from now, it will be about 15 1/2 hours long, nights are 8 1/2.
And on August 15th, 3 months from now, it will be about 14 hours long, nights are 10. This is roughly when females show up, males about a week earlier.
On October 15th, 5 months from now, when they should be done or close to done, days will be about 11 1/2 hours long, nights 12 1/2.

Nice to meet you, and best of luck with your grow.

If what you say is true,
The Shaolin and the wu-tang sword could be dangerous.

Feelin mad hostile - wearin Aeropostle
Flowin like Christ when I speaks the gospel...
:D

Prayin for rain for the both of us, B-Digi.

Hey Bobby, im tagged in.

Im pretty interested to see how this one goes for you. This strain was actually #5 on my list....but that doesnt mean much, cause they all sound spectacular. Ill probably buy the remaining 4 by years end lol.

One question though. Did you get some kinda screen/filter for your ladies? Ya know, to protect your plants from the UV light that is so detrimental to the cellular structure, or something. outdoors, the ultraviolet can get pretty intense ;)

LMAO. :D

Hi Patrick,

Anyone who quotes the Wu is cool with me, haha. Nice to meet you, and hopefully our mojo will work together for a good season. Btw, I didn't mean to accuse you of using Monsanto products in that other thread =D, it was kind of a joke and I was glad you had a good reason for that bag being there =D

Hi Amoril,

Good to see you again, and yeah, I'll definitely be using some plant specific sunscreen, SPF 90, hahaha. My ordering would have been completely reversed if I were growing indoors, but you're right, I'm sure they're all good plants, good luck with yours, I'll be following it.

About to head out and finish clearing, it's such a nice day for a walk in the woods. I'll be sure to wear gloves this time.

bobby

best of luck nice too see som outdoor haze im lookin forward to ur journey

ive got som sk/hz outdoor rough early season 4 us som cold nights i worried they were out a bit early but seem to be slowly fatten up ,amazin how these sat dom of the group seem to handle the cold best

Hi bigherb,

We must be somewhat close, because my nights have been much colder than normal, too.

I went out and did some work yesterday, but unfortunately my first spot was hit again, and only two plants remain, EPSKxHaze, but they are very healthy.

Going to order another batch of seeds, since only 2 remain of the 15 I've put out, and my second plot is big enough for the seeds that are on their way already. I actually found a deer in my spot when I went to check them, he ran out the other side as I was going in. Animals of all kinds must have taken over the area that this plot is in, going to have to get wild. I built a natural fence around the area with the stuff I cut down, but the deer broke through it in one spot, clever bastards. They really like the chill spot I've cleared for them, haha.

Back