Early Haze Outdoor Grow

Getting Closer

Quick update. Was out there last night, the buds are starting to fill nicely, a couple are really close. We had a couple of nights where the temps got close to frost but back to normal now. The cold blast may bring out some colors, it did with the hardwoods. Hoping to let the early ones go a little longer, we're supposed to have a nice stretch of warm, sunny, dry weather. A couple of the Early Haze and Angel Hearts need two or three weeks more.

The smell on one of the Early Haze (EH 1) is very interesting, I mean it's like nothing I ever smelled before. Fruit, floral, fuel, and more. I took a little bud to have a look at it, dried it, jarred it, and it amazes me more everytime I pop the lid. It will be interesting once I bring her down when she's finished and cured. Must be the Early Queen side coming thru. The other two Early Hazes are more subtle, not as fruity/floral.

One of the Angel Hearts is getting close, I'd like to let her go a couple of more weeks. The stretchy one hopefully at least three weeks or more. The weather will be what determines the harvest. I took a couple of cuts of the AH 4 on 9/15 and it looks like they're taking, this is the stretchy one. I lost the cut of her I had, I have cuts of all the others.

Pics. It was a little breezy last night so it was a little bit of a challenge for my high quality phone camera. Most were out of focus, at least you can see the struture and bud development.

Pic #1 - EH 2
Pic #2 - EH 1, she's close
Pic #3 - AH 4, stretcy one
Pic #4 - AH 4, cuts

Happy Harvest,
Bh

Attachments

• EH 2  9.27.12.jpg
    EH 2 9.27.12.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 42
  • EH 1 BUD  9.27.12.jpg
    EH 1 BUD 9.27.12.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 50
  • AH 4  9.27.12.jpg
    AH 4 9.27.12.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 32
  • AH 4 CUTS 9.23.12.jpg
    AH 4 CUTS 9.23.12.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Turn Turn Turn

The harvest has begun. I love growing outdoors, it really tests the quality of the plants and the genetics. If they’re good ones, it really shows. I’ve been cutting the branches that were pollinated over the last couple of weeks, most of the seeds are done, gets them out of the way. The weather is starting to turn so have to keep an eye on things weather wise, I would like to let some of the plants go a while longer to ripen and plump up. I started taking some of the buds down about a week ago, the ones that were ready.

I took down part of the earliest Early Haze last night, EH 1. Trichs were mostly cloudy with a few amber and a few clear. Very nice plant, hats off to all that had their hands in this strain. Thank you Shanti. The buds are fairly tight, very high in the calyx to leaf ratio. Pulled the fan leaves and hung her, not going to have to do much trimming at all. And the smell is delightful, can’t wait to see what the cure will produce.

I’m going to let the other 2 Early Hazes go for a while longer, weather permitting. The same with the Angel Hearts although I did take a branch of the earlier one last night to have a better look…she’s getting close.

I also took down the top cola of a Lemon Grass Thai. I harvested a seeded bud of her and noticed a tiny bit of what looked like mold damage so I felt it best to get her hanging. I have 2 phenos of this strain and both are very nice. I’m not a big fan of Deep Chunk but it’s not stepping all over these as it can do. It does help to make the buds very dense, they’re like little balls of solid kief.

I’ll try to put up some more pics shortly, although they won’t do the harvest justice. I still need to get a new digi. Here’s one of part of EH 1, the Lemon Grass Thai, and a mix of branches.

Attachments

• EH 1  10.4.12.jpg
    EH 1 10.4.12.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 24
  • LGT  10.4.12.jpg
    LGT 10.4.12.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Mix  10.4.12.jpg
    Mix 10.4.12.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 14
Nice

Hi There'
I Have 4 EH Left Outside In The Cold Rain And They Are Flowering Well Now Light Is @ 11/13
One Plant Has Purple Buds.
Glad I'm Keeping On Going This Year
Nice Lemon Aroma
JKP

Some Choppin'

We were supposed to have a hard freeze last night, which we did, so I was out the last couple of nights taking some things. I may be a little paranoid and/or premature but it got really cold and I had some stuff that was very close and a few plants that had a lot of exposure so I took parts of them. Better to have something a little early then damaged goods after all the work.

I harvested parts of all the MNS plants, some more than others depending on where they were in maturity and location. I left quite a bit of all of them out there though, we're supposed to get some better weather the next couple of weeks. Usually we get light frosts starting the second week of October and hard freezes near the end of the month. Last year I had some things that I let go until November.

Here's a couple of pics of the larger Angel Heart, AH 1. I took her top and a few side branches, she could really go should another week but she is exposed. I took only one branch of the stretchy one, AH 4, She's more protected and could use probably as much time as can be given. Took parts of all the Early Hazes, but the most was from the earlier one, EH 2.

The 3rd pic is one of the hanging racks, been doing a lot of trimming and there's a lot more to do.

The last 2 pics are of a cross I made, BCN Diesel x AK. She was ready to come down.

Trimmed all weekend, starting to jar some of the ealier harvest.

Love this time of year,
Bh

Attachments

• AH 1  10.7.12.jpg
    AH 1 10.7.12.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 36
  • AH 1 -  10.7.12.jpg
    AH 1 - 10.7.12.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Hang  10.7.12.jpg
    Hang 10.7.12.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 43
  • BNCD x AK  10.7.12.jpg
    BNCD x AK 10.7.12.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 19
  • BCND x AK Bud  10.7.12.jpg
    BCND x AK Bud 10.7.12.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 23
wonderful results with these, imo. very nice work, betterhaff :)

the unusual smells are surely from the EQ side of things. read more than once that they
smell very special. enjoy these fine ladies, mate, and thank you a lot for the nice show.

btw, kannabia vs. serious? ... sounds and looks exciting :)

New Typing Style.

Thanks Betterhaff,
We're averaging two days a week of dry and partially sunny days, :(. To keep the plants from contracting mildew or botrytis I'm using Growth Technologies SB Plant Invigorator & Bug Killer ( with miticide & wetting agent),sprayed onto the plants in the morning after I've given them a good shake to remove the rain from the night before.
Because of high moisture level i have plants sitting on tarpauline to dry things about a bit. Using a stool I spend around 30-45 minutes going around the plants removing as many yellow leaves as possible. Seems like it'll take days and days, but it's those leaves that'll start any decomposition of the plant.
Temps dipped down to a mild frost on saturday night but it seemed to speed up bud growth, which really is encouraging:)
I'm not sure if You realise I'm growing three G13xEarly Hazes in one big blue recycling ;) bin, courtesey of my local council :D , and one growing seperately that comes indoors every night.
Using Cannazym throughout the grow has ensured there are no problems with rootbound plants, the 11 litre wilma container for the single plant was recently inspected and was fine . Also using Trichodermia003 and Vitalinks Bio Pac ( Feeds Beneficial Bacteria ). Both cheap insurance against infection and disease.
All four plants are swelling slowly but surely and the odour is beginning to exite,lol
So I must keep removing dead leaves and shaking plants to remove water, most especially with no wind ( living on the coast always helps ), also strengthening the stem and maybe stressing the plant into finishing faster.
I always find something exiting every summer, and this year I've noticed the middle plant in the recycling box has purple buds :cool: Odour and Appearance are the same and I'm also noticing crystal formation finally. I use a flash at night to highlight the bud formation and development ( I'm seething because I cannot find my camera USB cable to upload some recent images). So I'll see if I can find it.
I expect another 3-4 weeks before I bring out the chainsaw, or in the case of this summer , the bread knife :rolleyes:
Still feeding with Bio Bizz Bloom and recently gave them 10 mg of PK13/14
Patience and vigilant inspection should ensure everything works out O.K
defineatly want to try growing a Fat Bottomed Indica from Shanti :) . No question that sativas , especially hazes are worth the extra time. I want to find a specific MNS strain ( New CBD Line ) that treats the ailments that require many pills that could be replaced. Also freeing up My bi weekly visits to my dealer , er I mean doctor ( Is There A Difference ? )
I'd like to be able to make Pheonix Tears like those made by Rick Simpson who cured His cancer with a couple of drops of high CBD cannabis oil . By using bud instead of leaf ( First Time with bud only:confused:)It should be powerful and last awhile.
It's all about matching the strain to the condition and the pain. I've seen nothing but increased testimonies from people all over the globe claiming Pheonix Tears has slowed, shrunken, and even Cured them of terminal cancer
To find that strain I'd give up all my material possesions for the chance of a cure.
I'll continue to read new info here, at CBD.org or Rick Simpsons website
sorry about my rambling on ( Taster of G13xEarly Haze - Very stoney yet uplifting also ).
In closing I must say the SB plant invigorator does work in helping leaves green up and also kills spidermites, scale, aphids and mildew. Its non toxic and needs no harvest interval.
I'll edit in images once able,
atb,
JKP:)

Thanks Santero for the kind words. Yes, Kannabia...not so sure about Serious, the male was gifted. Nice cross though, still needs a little work.

Joe, I wish I could manage the plants on a daily basis but there out in the wild. I often think about the fine "ditch" weed I've been growing. G13xEarly Haze? Did you make that or where did it come from? Or is it the G13xHaze hybrid?

To find that strain I'd give up all my material possesions for the chance of a cure.
Amen

Thanks Santero for the kind words. Yes, Kannabia...not so sure about Serious, the male was gifted. Nice cross though, still needs a little work.

Joe, I wish I could manage the plants on a daily basis but there out in the wild. I often think about the fine "ditch" weed I've been growing. G13xEarly Haze? Did you make that or where did it come from? Or is it the G13xHaze hybrid?

Amen

My Mistake
I'm Growing MNS G13xHaze F2's :)
The Early Haze Images Were From 2010 ( And Revegged Into 2011 )Were From shanti And Around A Dozen Or More Members Volunteered To Test It ( Quality Control That Proved It A Keeper ).
I Love Testing Seed And As I Type My Tent Remains Clean And Empty. Want It To Look Like My 2004 Effort (2004-Texas Heather )

Attachments

• ChunkyMonkey5.jpg
    ChunkyMonkey5.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 6
  • WhatShitAndTwoSSHWouldLookLikeInTen.jpg
    WhatShitAndTwoSSHWouldLookLikeInTen.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 6
  • SquarePotsTakeUpLessSpace.jpg
    SquarePotsTakeUpLessSpace.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 7
  • TexasHeatherdec27-05-30PercentDone.jpg
    TexasHeatherdec27-05-30PercentDone.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 8
  • TexasHeather-jan06-06-GrowingGolfba.jpg
    TexasHeather-jan06-06-GrowingGolfba.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 7
  • TUBOTRCPlease-jan10-06.jpg
    TUBOTRCPlease-jan10-06.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 11
  • JKPIndoorGrow-TRC-SOL-2005.jpg
    JKPIndoorGrow-TRC-SOL-2005.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 3155TRC_ART_Texas_Heather.jpg
    3155TRC_ART_Texas_Heather.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 16
Testers

The Early Haze Images Were From 2010 ( And Revegged Into 2011 )Were From shanti And Around A Dozen Or More Members Volunteered To Test It ( Quality Control That Proved It A Keeper ).

As far as the Early Haze testers, I read all the Early Haze threads before I bought it, I thank you and all who grew her. And yes, it is a keeper, a very nice strain. I still have a lot more seed to go through and I know I won’t be disappointed.

Speaking of testers, here’s one. This is from a project I’ve been working on for the past couple of years or so. A few years ago a friend gave me a few seeds and said you have to grow these. I asked him what they were and he didn’t know, they were seeds from some very good bud he had. Basically bagseed. I ended up with 2 females and one male of which one of the females was incredible (I call her #1 and still have her). I hadn’t been smoking for a while, smoked some of the finished bud and had to ask myself “is it me or is it this pot”. After about an hour I felt like I was tripping. I gave some bud to my friend to test out telling him of my experiences and I got a call from him about an hour later telling me “it isn’t you”.

So I’ve been on a quest. She is the reason I ended up here at MNS, I wanted to gather more info about breeding to see what I could do with her, why not learn from some of best. I know plants, I know how to breed, but breeding cannabis to me is a little different. I doubt there is a plant on earth that has been bred more.

This is a cross using the plant from above. I pollinated this plant with a Spice male and a sativa leaning Angel Heart male, who knows were those are going to take me.

Attachments

• 1 x AK 1  10.9.12.jpg
    1 x AK 1 10.9.12.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 1 x AK 2  10.9.12.jpg
    1 x AK 2 10.9.12.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 1 x AK 3  10.9.12.jpg
    1 x AK 3 10.9.12.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 20
Colors...

changing with the seasons, 2 phenos of Early Haze.

Attachments

• EH 1 & 2  10.11.12.jpg
    EH 1 & 2 10.11.12.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 109
  • EH 1 & 2  10.11.12 (2).jpg
    EH 1 & 2 10.11.12 (2).jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 78
Still Harvesting

I’ve been harvesting the plants in stages, taking branches as they look ready. We have had a spurt of good weather, warm with some sunshine and a little rain here and there. I wanted to let one of the Early Haze go a little longer as well as the 2 Angel Hearts weather permitting and it has been cooperating. This time of year you can get those stretches of nice weather or the season can just be over…you almost have to play it day to day. It’s actually been helping with the harvest, spreading out the chore of trimming, drying, and jarring. I have to go get some more jars, I still have a lot to harvest and that may come all at once. I will update with more soon.

Weather Permitting

2 of the 3 Early Hazes have been completely harvested. I'm letting the last one go a while longer since we're having a little stretch of good weather. Same thing with the Angel Hearts, letting them fill out as much as possible. Have been selective harvesting branches.

For kicks I decided to yank the earlier Early Haze, EH 1, and put it in a pot, will see if I can get her to reveg. Just pulled her up, threw in a bucket with some Maxi Crop over night and then potted her up. Still need to do some pruning of her. First 3 pics.

The Hawaiian really started to bud out, kind of surprised me how fast she developed once she started flowering. Will she finish, not sure, supposed to be a 60 dayer once flowering and she's at about +/- 35. Last 2 pics.

I'll give some more details about the Early Hazes and Angel Hearts once they've all harvested. I already have some in jars.

I really like seeing everybody's harvest photos...the more the merrier.
Bh

Attachments

• EH 1 ReVeg 10.20.12.jpg
    EH 1 ReVeg 10.20.12.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 6
  • EH 1 ReVeg 2 10.21.12.jpg
    EH 1 ReVeg 2 10.21.12.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 5
  • EH 1 ReVeg 3 10.21.12.jpg
    EH 1 ReVeg 3 10.21.12.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 5
  • HAW Top 10.20.12.jpg
    HAW Top 10.20.12.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 11
  • HAW 10.20.12.jpg
    HAW 10.20.12.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 16
your purpling pheno is weird and very beautiful .

Thanks mani, 2 of the Early Haze had purpling near the end as does 1 of the Angel Heart. The buds you're seeing in the above post were from the earlier Early Haze (EH 1, purple) and one that's still out there (EH 2). The purple ones are from lower branches and so the bud formation is not like the top buds, not popcorn...more like pom poms.

The 2 purple phenos are very different though, both have a similar finishing time but one smells really fruity/floral while the other is less sweet with a woodsy/earthy air to it.

In the Barn

All the plants have been harvested as they were mostly ready and the weather is on the verge of turning. I would have liked to let the stretchy Angel Heart go a little longer but did not want to chance it. I did leave the dominate stalk of the Hawaiian out there, she’s weeks away and there isn’t supposed to be a hard frost in the near future. I have a lot hanging and the trimming seems endless but it’s getting done and the jars are being filled.

All and all I was happy with the grow this year. The weather was extreme, drought conditions, but the plants managed well although yield had to be effected. The good part is I only lost a few (my crosses) to animals, no major bug issues, and no rippers. The best part, they’re all harvested.

I have tried early samples of all the plants and there are a couple of stand outs smoke wise. The less fruity Early Haze and the stretchy Angel Heart are the early favorites, but saying that after a very brief cure on some of the buds taken earlier. I will give an individual recap of all of them after a reasonable cure.

Here are a couple of pics of the plants I’ve been showing in the thread before the final chop.

Pic 1 – Early Haze (EH 2). This is what was left of her after selective harvesting. This was the bent one and when I chopped her she was still over 7 feet tall.

Pic 2 – Angel Heart (AH 1). She was about 6 foot at final chop. Her top when I took it earlier was over 3 feet long.

Pic 3 – Hawaiian, one of the harvested stalks, the other is still out.

Attachments

• EH 2  10.23.12.jpg
    EH 2 10.23.12.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 24
  • AH 1  10.23.12.jpg
    AH 1 10.23.12.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 16
  • HAW 10.28.12.jpg
    HAW 10.28.12.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 12
Rope

I was cleaning up some of the things that were hanging and just wanted to make a couple comments about the Angel Heart. The top colas and branches when dried looked just like rope. Unfortunately I didn’t get a good picture and they are not rope anymore.

Here’s a pic of some AH lower bud/branches just before going into the jar.

Another thing, when these are first put into the jar, when they are vented the smell reminds me of fresh fish. Not fishy but that “fresh from the sea” type smell. It’s quite interesting and pleasing. After a while a more floral/spicy aroma starts coming out.

Attachments

• AH 1  11.4.12.jpg
    AH 1 11.4.12.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 18
Hey Bud

Here are a few bud shots, 20 – 30 days in the jar. I really need to get a new digi, these don’t really give them the justice they deserve.

Pic 1 – Early Haze (EH 1), Pic 2 – Early Haze (EH 2), Pic 3 – Angel Heart (AH 1), Pic 4 – Angel Heart (AH 4), Pic 5 – Lemon Grass Thai (#9)

Attachments

• EH 1  11.11.12.jpg
    EH 1 11.11.12.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 61
  • EH 2  11.11.12.jpg
    EH 2 11.11.12.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 41
  • AH 1  11.11.12.jpg
    AH 1 11.11.12.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 33
  • AH 4  11.11.12.jpg
    AH 4 11.11.12.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 25
  • LGT #9  11.11.12.jpg
    LGT #9 11.11.12.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 30
How's the Smoke?

After about 30 days cure I thought I’d give an update and smoke report on the Early Haze. I would like to point out that I really rushed into this grow because of receiving seeds late, trying to get them going, sexed and in the ground as soon as I could. The holes were not prepped the best since I had to dig some new ones and generally like to let them sit a while before I plant. I do believe I didn’t make as big of holes as I should have for a couple of the plants and yield may have been affected. The severe lack of moisture had an effect on yield as well.

I had 3 female Early Haze plants OD and each was different. One was a good size plant, EH 2, it was transplanted out the earliest, had the bigger hole, and I tied it down as opposed to topping it like I did the other two. It was the middle finisher and had a good yield. It produced buds all along the branches, closer internodes.

The earlier finisher was EH 1. This one was also out earlier, was topped and had a decent yield, about half as much as the bent one. This produced ball type buds spaced along branches and purpled in the end. These buds were a little tighter with not as much leaf as EH 2.

The above two, although different in plant structure, have similar smoke characteristics. Both have a fruity/floral aroma with a bit of fuel. When I say fuel I don’t mean petrol or diesel, more like a solvent. I’m not sure what the best way to explain that is, kind of like a nail polish remover type smell but not sweet. I like to smoke joints and that is how I test. I take a few dry tokes of the joints before lighting to get an additional sense of taste. Both of these had slight fruit/fuel followed by a subtle floral undertone. The fruit was kind of berry like, but not overpowering. Same when smoked except a little bit of spiciness comes thru. The earlier one, EH 1, is a little stronger in regards to smell and taste.

The effects of the above two were fairly close. Both are a nice up high (not debilitating) which made me active, just enough body to even things out. Very nice balance. It’s a great social buzz and you could smoke it anytime. It’s kind of hard to describe, it just made me happy and could go about things.

The third plant, EH 4, had a different structure and was topped. This one had the lowest yield but I think this was due to being the latest one planted, poor hole preparation, topping, and drought. It also had narrower leaves with pointier buds. This was the latest of the three and also turned some purple in the end.

This plant has an earthy/woodsy/fuel aroma. When smoked you get a woodsy/spicy/fuel taste with a subtle deep fruit, like plum, on the exhale (on the lips believe it or not). The effect is also up, with exaggerated clear vision and thought. A little edgier then the other two but the body again seems to balance it out. I would have to say the haze is coming thru in this one more than the other two but is still well balanced.

It will be interesting to see what some additional time in the jars will do, the aromas have changed considerable from when I first started curing them. They seem to become more subtle and complex the longer they go.

I spread around some buds for people to try and the feedback has been excellent. I think it’s because its different, up, balanced, and you don’t get that washed out feeling when you come down. I don’t think there is too much MNS Early Haze floating around the streets where I’m at, it’s mostly quick finishing commercial and kush types.

All and all I would have to say this is a very good and complex strain and a pleasure to grow and smoke. I have plenty more seeds to go thru and am looking forward to growing it again next year. It will be nice to have a little more time getting the sites ready to allow this plant to do its thing. I would think if you were able to grow this plant outdoors in a controlled environment where you could tend to its needs you would be extremely pleased. I am very pleased with my guerilla grow, all things considered.

Great Job

very nice smoke report . thnx for taken the time and sharing your findings . enjoy your harvest . not much MNS floating around here either, but thanx to a successful harvest there is some CriticalHaze around.

Back