Early Haze in The Waterlands.

Arnold63

Early Haze in The Waterlands.
In & Outdoor at 52.5N, 4.9E. (approximately)

I have a small backyard facing North. The plants don't get a lot of direct sunlight and harvest time, end september-oktober, can be very moist/wet. I need a strain that will finish midd/end september, before the october rains fall in. I tried some autofems last year but i don't like'm. They where small, weak plants. Only 2 of 8 survived the outdoors and they didn't bring much. In frustration of the small auto's I trew in some Purple bagseed early june. These grew out to 2m+ and finished end september. So it is possible.

I was looking for seeds that would give me a genetic start at breeding my own Early Flowering Backyard Herb. I think the Early Haze has potential. This year I started with 4 seeds at the end of february. Because I have some catchin up to do I'll split the diary in parts to keep it manageble.

Part 1 - From seed to parent.

22 feb.
I planted 4 seeds in moist seed/cutling eart and put them in a propagator in the window facing north.

27 feb.
2 seeds sprouted

28 feb.
The other 2 also sprouted.

1 mrt.
The seedlings are realy stretching and I decide to put them in my micro.

Early_Haze_-_002.jpg

Early_Haze_-_003.jpg

7 mrt.
One week old.

Early_Haze_-_004.jpg

Early_Haze_-_005.jpg

15 mrt.
Two weeks old.

Early_Haze_-_006.jpg

Early_Haze_-_007.jpg

22 mrt.
Three weeks.

Early_Haze_-_0081.jpg

Early_Haze_-_009.jpg

29 mrt.
Four weeks old. The plants are ready for their first transformation.
And moving into my new growspace with more height. I've been using blue lights (2x36w - 8800k PLL) to promote compact growth but the Early Haze's do not seem to respond to much. They are 25/30cm.

Early_Haze_-_010.jpg

Untill now they were nameless seedlings. Today they will get their identity.

Early_Haze_-_011.jpg

Early_Haze_-_012.jpg

Early_Haze_-_013.jpg

Early_Haze_-_014.jpg

I took the top 10/15cm of every plant as a cutling to root and flower so I can determine their sex.

Early_Haze_-_015.jpg

4 Parents downstairs. Their kids are upstairs in the tub.

Early_Haze_-_017.jpg

I'll start their story in part 2.

Arnold63

Foggin' Cuts & Roots

Thank you LRV, Carbon.

Dear Growdiary,

For rooting the cuttings I've build my own Fogger using a sealed tub with a floating minifogger inside and a propagator hood on top. I tried a bubblecloner but the little air pump is to noisy. Looking for a silent solution I found the fogger. Just to test how fast this method works, I'm not using any clone powder or gel and the water is clean, ec 0.02. The lightning is 2 x 36W880 = 72W

Part 2 - Foggin' Cuts & Roots

29 mrt.
Placed the cuttings in the fogger.

Early_Haze_-_101.jpg

5 apr.
Foggin' for a week now. #1 and #2 are having trouble. They are upright at the start of the light cycle but they wither at the end. I've removed 2 big leaves from #1 as it was having more trouble. #3 and #4 are healthy and show new growth.

Early_Haze_-_102.jpg

No roots on #1 or #2

Early_Haze_-_103.jpg

And no roots on #3 and #4

Early_Haze_-_104.jpg

6 apr.
Before the lights got out I check the clones. See how #1 and #2 wither.

Early_Haze_-_105.jpg

I look inside the fogger and #3 and #4 show root grow.

Early_Haze_-_106.jpg

13 apr.
After 2 weeks in the fogger it's time to move on. The new growth on #3 and #4 is alarmingly light green. They need food. I am not gonna wait for #1 and #2 to develop and I move all 4 clones into the next phase. Roots or not.

Early_Haze_-_107.jpg

#1 - no roots

Early_Haze_-_108.jpg

#2 - has started a root

Early_Haze_-_109.jpg

Early_Haze_-_110.jpg

#3 - rooted

Early_Haze_-_111.jpg

Early_Haze_-_112.jpg

#4 - rooted

Early_Haze_-_113.jpg

Early_Haze_-_114.jpg

I placed them in a DWC with 24liters of water. I'm using Advanced Nutrients GMB (pH perfect) and added 1/2 a doses for small plants to start with. 12ml Micro, 12ml Grow and 12ml Bloom.

Early_Haze_-_115.jpg

I've plugged in 2 extra 36W so now they have 144W. 2 x 36W880 and 2 x 36W865. They are on 12/12 light cycle now to develop bloom.

Arnold63

It is Written

Thanks for the compliments Skunkha,

But it's no tutorial. I'm not explaining the basics of taking cuttings or how fog cloners works. It's just my grow diary where I document what I do and how the plants react to my actions. This way I don't need to remember everything. I only need to remember where to look it up. That's how my brain works and I like it :) I am not gonna explain basic grow knowledge. There are enough tutorials doing that.

I think I'll extend my life motto;

Don't worry, be Happy
Any questions? RTFM

:)

I will use this log in the future as a reference, as I have done with a previous grow diary I did a few years ago at Wietforum.nl. As I went through that one again, in preperation of this grow, I noticed that I had gained some experience. I could pinpoint a few mistakes/bottlenecks and had idea's for improvement.

I'm a little behind, but this gives me the opportunity to organize the diary's of the different grows I have going. The parents, The clones on 12/12 and more clones to come. Next is the gender question. Show me yours and I'll decide if you'll live or die.

Arnold63

Hello Boys & Girls

Part 3 - I want your Sex.

19 apr.
One week on 12/12 in the DWC. #1 is alive, #2 shows some new growth. #3 and #4 are taking off. Bigger leafs and the internodes are stretching.

Early_Haze_-_202.jpg

#3 and #4 also seem to get a little more color.

Early_Haze_-_203.jpg

The older roots got some color from the nutrients but new roots are looking fine. No roots on #1 so far. Not on the picture; Roots on #2 are going slow. Not as fast as #3 or #4.

Early_Haze_-_204.jpg

26 apr.
Two weeks on 12/12. #1 is still alive. #2 shows real growth like #3 and #4.

Early_Haze_-_205.jpg

Early_Haze_-_206.jpg

#1 - Still alive

Early_Haze_-_207.jpg

Yes, after 4 weeks, it's the start of a root.

Early_Haze_-_208.jpg

No visible flowering.

Early_Haze_-_209.jpg

#2 has about the same growth as #3 and #4 in the previous week.

Early_Haze_-_210.jpg

Healthy roots.

Early_Haze_-_211.jpg

But it's a male and has to go.

Early_Haze_-_212.jpg

Just like #4

Early_Haze_-_213.jpg

#3 shows no flowers yet.

Early_Haze_-_214.jpg

I presume that #1 and #3 are female and the parents will be planted in the backyard. Their clones will be kept in flowering. That will all be documented in the next parts of the diary.

Arnold63

Part 4 - Moms and Dads growing up

Part 4 - Moms and Dads growing up

In the 4 weeks that the clones have been rooting and showing gender, the parents have been growing.

29 mrt.
Freshly chopped.

5 apr.
Healthy new growth.

13 apr.
Making length.

20 apr.
More length.

27 apr.
And more.

Yesterday the #2 and #4 clones showed their male flowers. I expect #1 and #3 to be female and I will plant them in the backyard.

Part 5 - planting Day.

Part 5 - planting Day.

I'm growing in a small urban backyard facing North. Because the soil is always moist, I have build two raised grow beds. Both 60 x 120 and 20 high. This is the fourth year I'll use them. Initially I filled them with garden soil/waist/compost and various organic fertilizers. Covered it with more garden waist and let it sink in over the winter. Since then I add Fertilizers after harvest and cover it up with garden waist. Under the stones in the centre are worm tubes. I installed them last year after I landed on some info about them while googling for an easy worm farm setup and found it to be an acceptable alternative.

27 apr.
Dig a hole. The soil feels loose, moist and cool.

#1 well rooted.

Also ready to go outside.

Both planted.

A place in the sun.

part 6 - Growth.

part 6 - Growth.

3 may.
One week outdoors. #3 shows uv damage on the older leaves. #1 gets less direct sunlight and shows a little uv damage.

10 may.
Second week outdoors.

18 may.
Third week outdoors.

24 may.
Fourth week outdoors.

part 6.2 - More Growth.

part 6.2 - More Growth.

An other month of grow pictures.

2 June.
Fifth week outdoors.

7 June.
Sixth week outdoors.

Two weeks later.

21 June.
Eight week outdoors.

Part 7 - Excessive Growth, Keep it down.

Part 7 - Excessive Growth, Keep it down.

3 weeks later.

10 July.
Eleven weeks outdoor growth.

They are about 2 meters high now. When I let them grow on they will be visible for the whole neighborhood which can lead to complaints alarming the police or attract rippers. So I will keep them down with a scrog. Placing the scrog earlier would have been easier but this first time, I wanted to see the life-force of these plants. And I'm impressed.

Warning: These next pictures may hurt in the soul of the less experienced growers.

Placing the frame on #3

Placing the screen on #3

#1 is next

One branch on #1 broke off but there is enough material left to fill the scrog.

4 weeks later.

2 Aug.
The plants have recovered the scroging and are producing lots of grow tips. Today I'm filling the scrog by bending the larger grow tips over the screen.

#1 is ready

I started on the backside of #3

#3 There still a some pruning to do but the screen is filled nicely

From now on I will only do a little pruning. First removing the grow tips under the screen and later removing small tips from the top where the screen is overcrowded.

Next report; the first flowers. Expected in 2 or 3 weeks.

Very nice Arnold. I grew this variety outdoors a few years ago and had some monsters and it was a guerilla grow…not attended to much. I ended up having to bend one that had more exposure to keep it less conspicuous. It responded well, sent up numerous colas from side shoots. Yielded well.

I noticed you had to move the chair, lol. That must have been a nice spot while it lasted.

Part 8 - Waiting 4 Flowers.

Thanks very much Betterhaff, these two also have the monster grow genes. Before they started to set flower, I had to prune them again.

I really liked the spot, enjoying the Sun together with the plants.

Part 8 - Waiting 4 Flowers.

I was hoping to see the first flowers in the second part of August but that didn't happen. The "Early" in this haze refers to the length of the flowering period. It is NOT an early flowering haze in my climate. Until half September it's growth and stretch.

9 Aug.

08-09.jpg

18 Aug.

08-18.jpg

22 Aug.

08-22.jpg

29 Aug.

08-29.jpg

5 Sep.

09-05.jpg

7 Sep.
They are stretching before flowering. A bit to much, the long stems wil get to high so I had to prune.

09-07-1.jpg

09-07-2.jpg

13 September.

09-13.jpg

The first flowerhairs.

09-13-1stFlwr_1_.jpg

09-13-1stFlwr_2_.jpg

09-13-1stFlwr_3_.jpg

20 Sep.

09-20_1_.jpg

09-20_2_.jpg

25 Sep.

09-25_1_.jpg

09-25_2_.jpg

Part 9 - Bloom

Part 9 - Bloom

With the first flowers setting at September 13, the plants only have 7 weeks until October 31, Harvest day. That is not enough time to fully develop. I had a clone of both plants flower indoors earlier. #1 takes 10 weeks and #3 needs 11 weeks. So I will just have to prepare for an early harvest of lot's of small buds.

27 Sep.

09-27_1_.jpg

09-27_2_.jpg

09-27_3_.jpg

09-27_4_.jpg

4 Oct.

10-04_1_.jpg

10-04_2_.jpg

10-04_3_.jpg

10-04_4_.jpg

9 Oct.

10-09_1_.jpg

10-09_2_.jpg

10-09_3_.jpg

Part 10 - Hails and Harvest

Part 10 - Hails and Harvest

The weather has been really bad yesterday with a lot of rain and hard winds. #1 has the most damage with stems bend down. I cut out the damage and call it a safety harvest. Better than nothing.

18 Oct.

10-18_1_.jpg

10-18_2_.jpg

10-18_3_.jpg

#1 has a little Purple inside
10-18_4_.jpg

10-18_5_.jpg

10-18_6_.jpg

31 October.
The orbit of the Sun has set so much that the plants don't get any direct Sunlight any more. The weather forecast states higher temps for next week. Combined with the current humidity that spells TopRot. This is Harvest day.

10-31_1_.jpg

#1 Leaves color Purple.
10-31_2_.jpg

10-31_3_.jpg

10-31_4_.jpg

10-31_5_.jpg

#3 is a green pheno
10-31_6_.jpg

10-31_7_.jpg

10-31_8_.jpg

It's drying in the attic now, dark and cool and I need to start cleaning it. The part I dislike the most. Cleaning lot's of small bud.

Reminds me of a saying: When you can't appreciate the small things, you're not worth the large rewards.

Arnold63

Back