dried hanged upside down for week, now paper bags? when into a jar?

dzidek794

Hi! I harvested my plant and it was drying hang upside down in 20 Celsius degrees and 50-60% humidity for 8 days. It stills a bit wet and stem bend. I put it to a paper bag and my question is when i will be know when to put it to mason jars?

Bless

how I do it

I hang for a week to 10 days in a dark cupboard with the doors open a crack on either end and a fan blowing in the room outside. After this (in my weather at least) the stems are snappable, they go into jars for...well I include the drying time in the curing time - so if they hung for 2 weeks they'll jar for 2, if they hung for 1 they'll jar for 3.

Burp jars daily at first and would also suggest once a day just gently empty the jars out onto newspaper or plastic and pull apart any buds stuck together and then put them back in, it helps to rotate them around a bit, to stop any chance of mold getting in between them etc. after the first 10 days to 2 weeks you can probly burp a bit less, just be alert for mold - it really blows to lose months of work to mold cos you didn't bother checking between the buds when you burped etc!

I find this method gets them to just the point I consider "al-dente" - so they snap apart into smaller buds in my fingers with very little pressure, but SNAP is the operative word, never crumble. It has to be a satisfying snap.

This is just how *I* do it. I can't remember how other people say they do it, but like most people if I find something easy that works I tend not to change it much.

Last edited:
If they feel wet then they probably aren't ready for jars. Once they feel dry and crispy jar them. In 24 hrs they'll be da ppm again. That's why you burp them. This is a topic often asked about but in my experience it really can only be learned and perfected through your own trial and error.

Well, they are still moist after 4 days in paper bag. The stems still bend. Its 12 day of drying. I really want to avoid overdrying buds. Should i countinue to dry them?

Sounds like they still have a lot of moisture in them. You can probably get away with jarring them now if you want to. Just make sure you're airing them out on a daily basis. Maybe even twice a day to start. You'll have to use your judgement. Jarring them too wet is a pain in the ass because they'll take forever to dry that way. When you burp your jars be sure to turn them on their sides so you get good gas exchange.

G`day D794

When the stem will snap , Jar it . Not before .

Closing it up while still damp is asking for trouble .
Relative humidity has a big influence on drying time .

High humidity means the air is already full of water . It will take longer to come out of your drying plants . In a desert environment only a few days hanging are required . In a damp environment it may take up to a month .

in one of the buds the stem snaped, so i put them into the jar, I put also a hygrometer i i dont get it. RH level increased maybe by a 2-3% and now its 53%. The buds are really sticky and even popcorn seems to be wet. What do you think? Can hygrometer show bad result?

I have bought 2 new hygrometers. One is electric the second one is analog. Electric shows 53% and the analog 66%, so as you can see the gap between results is really big. Which result is more reliable in your opinion?

Who knows. Just one of the reasons I don't rely on such equipment when drying. Just let your 5 senses guide you.

Agreed...once you do it a couple times in your own specific environment you'll get the hang of it and probably won't really need those hygrometers.

For future reference, when I chop I hang the plant in branches and leave most of the leaf on the plan other then large fan leaf. Then this is the part to watch for after 9 or 10 days the branch will still bend, but where the buds stem attached to the branch will crack when you bend it. It may not snap off but you will feel it crack. At this point you can trim on the stem, or strip the stem of buds. If you strip the branch they will still need to be dried for a day or two on a drying rack or some still like paper bags. Then they go into jars. You will want to open them and move buds around until they get to where you can leave them closed. Usually about a month of opening. This will be a good condition to cure in. I like to leave cured bud out a day or 2 for perfect smoking texture.

Note bottom left pic .

HTCC881c79.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help! I have found a tutorial how to calibrate analog hygrometer. Today the stem snap and the Rh in the jar is 65% so everything seems to be perfect :D Cannot wait to try it after a few weeks of curing!

If you think a few weeks is nice wait until it's been curing for 6 months. The fragrance really comes out and the high develops much more depth to it.

I ordered a dozen small digital hygrometers today. I am on the east Coast of USA 42N. I have high humidity here, but it is cool in October. Takes 3 to four weeks to dry. If it’s raining the never get ’snapping’ dry, I think the hygrometers and a boveda pack might be a good idea

@BuzzardsBay said: "I think the hygrometers and a boveda pack might be a good idea"

That's a great idea, BB! What packs do you like - 58% or 62% RH? Keep in mind Integra has packs of 55%, 62% for weed. Anything over 62% by either company is meant for cigars. 'Snapping' stems worked fairly well for cavemen, not so much any more(flame suit on ;)). Do you have a dehumidifier in your 'drying' room? [Edit - I am assuming that you have already dried your plants to within 2-3% RH of what you like before putting in jars with hygrometers and RH packs]

"So easy, a caveman can do it!"

Longball

Last edited:
Back