Deach's Canadian east coast, outdoor, Nevils Haze/Mango grow 2021

messages_0(1).jpegmessages_0(4).jpeg
Here's my one and only, indoor mom, with flash and without

First question, is it cheating to photograph canna with a flash? Sure looks nicer. I'd like to learn how to specialize in cannabis photography

Next question, how can I tell when she's ready? I'm not very experienced in indoor growing, and don't know Hazes well either. This one seems pretty chunky, and about 85 days since I flipped the switch. NHM should take 10-14 weeks, or early November outdoors

Which leads me to another question, does timing start from flipping the switch or when the female parts start showing?

View attachment 51847View attachment 51848
Here's my one and only, indoor mom, with flash and without

First question, is it cheating to photograph canna with a flash? Sure looks nicer. I'd like to learn how to specialize in cannabis photography

Next question, how can I tell when she's ready? I'm not very experienced in indoor growing, and don't know Hazes well either. This one seems pretty chunky, and about 85 days since I flipped the switch. NHM should take 10-14 weeks, or early November outdoors

Which leads me to another question, does timing start from flipping the switch or when the female parts start showing?
put up some white paperboard in a corner, grab a pair of single bar t8 lights, figure out which placement is best. It is how Subcool took his Advertisement flower pictures.

...how can I tell when she's ready? I'm not very experienced in indoor growing, and don't know Hazes well either. This one seems pretty chunky, and about 85 days since I flipped the switch. NHM should take 10-14 weeks, or early November outdoors

...does timing start from flipping the switch or when the female parts start showing?...

A simple query leads to opinion/advice given in many threads. Here are but a few:

Personal preference. I agree with many- 90% cloudy, 10% amber. For indies, it is pretty much the reverse. As we all know, maturation typically occurs differently throughout the plant and as one of the attached threads suggests, find the maturation level for that particular plant that suits your needs. Harvest branches accordingly. The indica dom ones you might leave a little longer but don't overdo the sativa expressions, afterall that is why you grow this variety lol. Make sure to have that 30x loupe to verify.
I usually begin the count at 12/12. For me, usually when they start showing sex, this is the cue to begin 12/12.
Good hunting brah!

🤙Mu

Yes a flash is cheating, but the good thing is nobody enforces the rules to photography. Anytime you can get a light on axis with the lens it will make the resin gland reflect back. Similar to shining a flashlight at an animals eyes and getting a reflection. I think maybe resin is designed to reflect some of the sun’s energy.
Sub cool was good with his photography and marketing, I think he had a background in it.

Yes a flash is cheating, but the good thing is nobody enforces the rules to photography. Anytime you can get a light on axis with the lens it will make the resin gland reflect back. Similar to shining a flashlight at an animals eyes and getting a reflection. I think maybe resin is designed to reflect some of the sun’s energy.
Sub cool was good with his photography and marketing, I think he had a background in it.
so, your thought that trichomes are made to reflect the sun's energy, they do that, and absorb it.. go purchase a t5 fixture, and load it up with the hortilux full spectrum + UV bulbs. and watch your plants start making fan leaf trichomes in veg.

Add UV lights during flower, watch the plant make more trichomes.

I'm guessing by reflecting light, the trichomes somehow help the plant avoid damaging UV rays on their delicate flowers.

The LED panel I use for flower has UVA built in... "Each kit utilizes 2 of our custom designed & full spectrum LED boards with Samsung LM301H, UVA, Samsung LH351H v2 Deep Red 660nm, and Samsung LH351H Far Red 730nm."

angels breathe X...
1.jpg

I'm guessing by reflecting light, the trichomes somehow help the plant avoid damaging UV rays on their delicate flowers.

The LED panel I use for flower has UVA built in... "Each kit utilizes 2 of our custom designed & full spectrum LED boards with Samsung LM301H, UVA, Samsung LH351H v2 Deep Red 660nm, and Samsung LH351H Far Red 730nm."

angels breathe X...
View attachment 51861
beautiful bud!!!! the spectrum put out by my HLG 650Rs is very similar to yours! mine relies on an over abundance of lm301h to get some decent UV output. its the diablo board, tis made to advertise Samsung's at the time (maybe still) newest diodes, the 660nm I think.

I have the same opinion I do about the super HPS and BLUE MH combo I LOVE to grow with. this is great, but needs more oomph. the ratio I like for the hps mh is 3:1.

the oomph can be provided by fancy blurple LEDs like the ones from HLG that have only UV- blue, and far red diodes in it, regular blurple spectrum LEDS, full spectrum +UV and flower spectrum t5's, HPS bulbs, 6500k/2700kCFL Y splitter DIY grow light rigs, T8 grow spectrum flourescents, w/e you have on hand if you wish to experiment w/light spectrum

A simple query leads to opinion/advice given in many threads. Here are but a few:

Personal preference. I agree with many- 90% cloudy, 10% amber. For indies, it is pretty much the reverse. As we all know, maturation typically occurs differently throughout the plant and as one of the attached threads suggests, find the maturation level for that particular plant that suits your needs. Harvest branches accordingly. The indica dom ones you might leave a little longer but don't overdo the sativa expressions, afterall that is why you grow this variety lol. Make sure to have that 30x loupe to verify.
I usually begin the count at 12/12. For me, usually when they start showing sex, this is the cue to begin 12/12.
Good hunting brah!

🤙Mu
Thanks for picking those threads for me, I learned a few things. I'm guessing this NHM is more along the indica side, the fan leaves weren't slender sativa like, buds are chunky, but she did stretch a bit, compared to my Joey's NLs which were in the same tent. Since sativas don't necessarily turn amber, I'm questioning how ripe they are. It'll all work out, my real test is how they will do outdoors in my climate 😎

i'll be happy when lights won't be needed and the sun will provide all the power.
the uv and sun here is incredibly intense. Like the ladies man says "i need a pill to keep it DOWN"
Lights are just a work around because of political bullshit.
I agree. I do feel every person who experiences winter should have an indoor room, and or light assisted greenhouse for full year production of both medicine and vegetables. and every weed grower should have a mother room for saving the best ladies from each year once legalization happens.

Thanks for picking those threads for me, I learned a few things. I'm guessing this NHM is more along the indica side, the fan leaves weren't slender sativa like, buds are chunky, but she did stretch a bit, compared to my Joey's NLs which were in the same tent. Since sativas don't necessarily turn amber, I'm questioning how ripe they are. It'll all work out, my real test is how they will do outdoors in my climate 😎

If the trichomes don't amber, the buds will turn golden when it's fully done lol. senescence.

that first thread nevilleshaze x mango isn't the same as MNS NevilsHaze x Mango. That thread was from a homemade cross that L33t made with someone else. I think Shanti uses a select nevils haze mother with the male used in mango haze.

I've grown several nevils mango outdoors and it is definitely sativa dominant in structure and high. Maybe leafy buds, but still very narrow leaves in flower.

that first thread nevilleshaze x mango isn't the same as MNS NevilsHaze x Mango. That thread was from a homemade cross that L33t made with someone else. I think Shanti uses a select nevils haze mother with the male used in mango haze.

I've grown several nevils mango outdoors and it is definitely sativa dominant in structure and high. Maybe leafy buds, but still very narrow leaves in flower.
Thanks for the reassurance, Haze is rare in these parts, I'm looking forward to it :)

...On the other hand the calyxes are completelly covered in resin and the plants were harvested with clear/cloudy trichs , with a few amber here and there..

All examples speak to optimal time to harvest sativas. Like @CannaFish- my experience is similar to his and I am surprised that your plants did not present with narrow leaves. An example of plants expressing according to environment?

🤙Mu

All examples speak to optimal time to harvest sativas. Like @CannaFish- my experience is similar to his and I am surprised that your plants did not present with narrow leaves. An example of plants expressing according to environment?

🤙Mu
That's an interesting theory, I believe anything is possible. But yeah, the leaves looked quite similar to the leaves of the NLs. Now 4/5 of the NLs are taking as long as the NHM. Since Joeys NL is a mix of NLs, I'm guessing there could be some Haze influence within those, extending their maturation period.

This is all an indoor learning experience for me. In the end, I'm looking forward to growing them all outdoors, that's where I'm most familiar growing

Do you guys (and gals) figure the indoor to outdoor growers here is 50/50? My guess is most of you grow indoors

Haze wont be rare once you put out a greenhouse!
I believe it's rare because this part of the country is stuck on indica, and are afraid to experiment with growing haze and/or sativa. On that thought, dehash99, an old friend of Nevils, has a Friesland/Haze mix in the works. Friesland does very well in eastern Canada, like R2 (NL2). Anyhow, I think such a mix could be a great intro to Haze around here

I believe it's rare because this part of the country is stuck on indica, and are afraid to experiment with growing haze and/or sativa. On that thought, dehash99, an old friend of Nevils, has a Friesland/Haze mix in the works. Friesland does very well in eastern Canada, like R2 (NL2). Anyhow, I think such a mix could be a great intro to Haze around here
I added him as he was recommended to me after I added you on there!!! I can agree with it seeming like everyone is stuck on indica. its partially the medicinal narcotic effect, and the fact half of everyone has an opiate habit because of the people in charge of that one company.

Freezeland and Erdpurt are 2 of my long lusted after Canadian outdoor seed lines. they happily grow outside right across the border/river in Ontario. what is your opinion of the Erdpurt?

I added him as he was recommended to me after I added you on there!!! I can agree with it seeming like everyone is stuck on indica. its partially the medicinal narcotic effect, and the fact half of everyone has an opiate habit because of the people in charge of that one company.

Freezeland and Erdpurt are 2 of my long lusted after Canadian outdoor seed lines. they happily grow outside right across the border/river in Ontario. what is your opinion of the Erdpurt?
I haven't tried either, have you? Those two are more prominent in Quebec and Ontario, I'm further east in New Brunswick, the land of R2 (NL2). dehash gifted me some Friseland/R2 seeds to me, which I'll be trying this outdoor season :)

Back