Dawns Critical Mass

hey dawn. i can tell u what i do. if u aren't too fussy about studyin each male for their individual personalities- plant structure etc.., then the first thing i'd do is cut em right back to only a couple of flowerin sites. be ruthless. now they will b manageable n easy to eyeball. it's worth saving cuts of em so any results can b repeated. personally i leave em in the room(in the corner), constantly checkin them.. i'm told they don't need intense levels of light to finish so if a seperate area fits in with your logistics.. when they start to drop or just before they do, i cut em down n hang em over foil or whatever in a cupboard. the flowers will continue to open while they're hangin.. there r as always many more things that can be said about the process and 101 ways but i hope i'v touched on a few things that may b of help... cheers.
(edit) as for storin the pollen, perhaps someone else might like to weigh in...

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I pulled the male plants out of the grow room today. The females were starting to get flowers and the males are starting to open. It seems the males are way ahead of the females on maturity. How do I keep pollen for later so I can pollinate certain bud sites?

Hi D,

Are the males under blooming light still, after you pulled them out.

Get some brown paper bags and twist tye each branch... let them stay like that for a few days, and try to have the plants in a cooler space and dont get the bags wet... many say pollen is not viable after 3 days but I have had luck after a few weeks... I store in a root cellar, never tried a fridge as the mositure would prove to make the pollen sterile. So if you are going to fridge, figure out a way to make an air tight seal or maybe add some rice or silica to help absorb the moisture... I like to store in sterile baby food jars...

L33T in his NH thread shares a brief method on his pollen collection. Small air tight glass container or jar. If you want to make it more advanced label each bag so you know what pheno and then you can pollinate different CM females with diffrent male seeds and see what happens...

Jon's method suggestion is good too... so many way you can go...

But the easiest way would be to put them back in with your crop and let nature take its course. You crop will have seed and you will have many F2's to choose from...

I wouldn't worry about the males blooming cycle finishing before the females develop larger cyclax you still have at minimum 3 to 4 weeks left for female and males take a few weeks to lose all there pollen...

Good luck on your next generation. I think your strain is probably won of the most popular in the world right now... thanks to SB and Spanish balcony growers...

Peace,

CM

Hi again brother D and my regards to your wife... thanks for doing that for her. I know lots of people who would never dream of it... and then there are great souls like you...

YES!

It will not be as potent as sensimilla but it will do the trick... if you got a couple bucks, George Cerventes bible is an excellent resource....

It is fun, before you roll your joints, just slowly take out the seed and store for a few months in a cool dry area... back to the jar again, or the same way you store your seed. Also label each plant you took seed from and keep them together... this way you can make further observation about which plant's f2 might be better...

Be mindful of any of your other strains as well, though, as if there are in the shared space with the CM cultivar, then you will now be making crosses i.e. like your black widow... shit man, that would probably be some killer smoke... BWxCM...

You are on your way Dawn... lol!

You mentioned that your CM clones are giving you some problems... this is great then cause you will have a few hundred seed now, and you will be able to reselect once again...and not lose the line or have to repurchase...

[EDIT - D, I dont want to bomabrd you here... but something to consider... you can also pull your males out of the blooming space at around week 4 or even 3... but to be able to make the observation is really strain specific and gut... but by doing this you will end up with less seed in your bud... still works either way and smokes just as well as medicine...]

Cheers,

Chana

Last edited:
hey again.. touchin on what CM said, if time/room make selecting a good offsping from a largish population unfeasible, i'd be more inclined to cross it with another strain and avoid the f2 shuffle!

It is Gods grace not my goodness that has helped my wife. I am only a vessel in the hands of the potter.

Hi D,

I think that is one of the nicest thanks I have gotten... you are humbly welcome, and I am sure many of us here could of steered you in the same direction...

In Islam, to sum up what you said in one word is "Alhamdulillah" which means thanks to god or all praise to Allah...

Ma Salam

CM

Males

Greetings everyone ,just my 2 cents ,in the most recent isiue of TY "Treating Yourself" magazine there's is an article by Shanti discussing just this topic, I don't have complete internet functions @ the moment to pull it up,if someone could be so kind to ,i think that would be a good guide we can all use to better assist Dawn with queries,and also Dawn look for the thread by Joshuahazen about breeding ,if we all have one format to go from we can better help,Dawn think of breed in theses terms imagine the plants as dogs ,you got me .....

Greetings everyone ,just my 2 cents ,in the most recent isiue of TY "Treating Yourself" magazine there's is an article by Shanti discussing just this topic, I don't have complete internet functions @ the moment to pull it up,if someone could be so kind to ,i think that would be a good guide we can all use to better assist Dawn with queries,and also Dawn look for the thread by Joshuahazen about breeding ,if we all have one format to go from we can better help,Dawn think of breed in theses terms imagine the plants as dogs ,you got me .....

Do you mean the articles Here

Its the one right near the bottom called "The Good The Bad and The Ugly"

Last edited:
Same page

Dawn if you go to the media section of the Mr.Nice sight Shanti has pdf grow articles there,like I stated if we all go by the same format we can best be of help to each other.

Doobz

Yea there is one article on the pdf's and a couple in the main article section it self,in the recent TY he has got a great article about male selection and pollen work .

Treating Yourself

If anyone can find TY issiue #25 Shanti article "Understanding my knowledge of male pollen to the point of harvesting it"great read ,even better practice .

Bump to you Dawn.

I hope all is well...

How is your pollen and f2 experiment coming along?

Take care,

CM

Chana, thanks man, I did some pollination. Some took some didn't but I will have some seed anyway. I took a small brown paper bag and slipped the male branch down into the bag(some of the branches bent:(). Then after collection I immediately took the bag and slipped the female branch down into the bag. Then lifted the branch and shook vigorously with the branch up, branch down, up, down and so on. Seems to have worked somewhat so I am happy as it was my first try. :) One branch one each female. Not sure all took though. :confused: We will find out. ;)

Be blessed my friends.

EXCELLENT DAWNY...

It can only get easier the more you do it right!

Have a great Christmas...

Peace,

CM

Well, shit happens. Human mistakes are still better then crappy genetics. Imagine a hermie pollinating your whole room... :eek:. Happend to me, ended up with less bud and hermie seeds.

Good luck with you next row and happy seed picking! ;)

Hello everyone, I just wanted to let you guys know that I had pollinated one branch of each female plant I had. I had never done this before and I ended up pollinating almost the whole room. A few branches were not pollinated but most of the pollen got everywhere. Very disappointed in myself and in the outcome of this grow. The good news is I put in the clones to flower and some Black Widow I had from seed. This was done on 1/7/11 so we shall see how it goes and I will put up pics of the clones flowering as I know they are all female. Also on a positive note I have probably 1000 Critical Mass f2 seeds. If anybody knows how to cure seeds or store them some advice would be great.

Hey mate just allow the seeds to dry in the bud to harden up.

When the buds and seeds are dry a sharp tap on the edge of a container should dislodge them quite easily.

Once collected seperate out any remaining plant matter and store in a cool dark, dry place. Inside a baggie inside a paper bag in a mason jar in the fridge should do you well.

cool thread Dawn, i like your wife's smoke report. thanks for sharing!

how would you rate the bag appeal (frostiness and density) of your critical mass, i know they all went to seed but just a general estimate would be nice since there's not many pics.

i ask because i've got some Critical Skunk that i'm lookin to pop pretty soon.

thanks again for your thread.

Hi mg, thanks for the good vibes. The bag appeal was fantastic! The buds were so dense you couldn't cut all the leaves out and the resin is the highest I have experienced. The seeds wouldn't come out, I had to pry them out because the resin kept them in there like glue. No exaggeration here man. Pop that Critical Skunk and enjoy!

Happy Growing,
Dawn

awesome reply Dawn, thanks bro!

Here is a pic of the 2 female Critical Mass I have in flower. These are in 1 gallon pots as I don't have room for much in my closet.

Back