Critical Mass by HHHG

Lucky 7

I removed the 2 least vigorous plants and now there are 7. I got clones of them all. The clones may go straight into 12/12 for quick sexing.

I've been spraying with pressured water and habanero alternately every few days and will continue until spider mites are gone. After soaking thoroughly they are dried fast with a fan. I'll post pics when there is more new growth to replace the damaged.

Seed plants 1-7 will be transplanted to 5Gal soil buckets and moved to the 1000w HPS vertical tent in a few weeks where they will veg a little longer then be switched to 12/12. Still waiting for clones to root.

Last edited:
Looking good H-man, I'm happy you're doing this thread. We all come across problems in our grows and thats a big reason I for one am here, the support. Best of luck dealing with the mites! May be a funny and non-applicable question so early but are they smelling at all yet? lol

More burn

I sprayed them with Rosemary oil/water yesterday and all the plants got burned. It was 2% oil to 98% water just like the ready-made bottle I previously purchased so I don't know why my mix burned them. The leaves will grow back but if the main buds die I'll have to top.

if youre still trying to kill mites, use pvp and stop wasting valuable time

good luck brother!

Is pvp natural/organic?

Most if not all the spider mites are gone but I've continued spraying once or twice a week. There are a lot of dead leaves and buds from the rosemary burn, but I think the plants will survive. I also burned all my parent and flowering plants with the same mix :eek:

Lesson learned: When trying something new don't use it on ALL your plants :rolleyes:

It's been a few days since the rosemary incident and I estimate that 50-75% of the plant parts are dead or dying. I still expect most if not all the CM to survive but it will probably take them at least another month before they are back to normal and ready for flowering.

On a happier note, one of the CM cuttings shot out a root today so hopefully they will all show roots soon.

Hi HHHG. I'm sorry to hear about this unfortunate event. I know that you were a follower and contributor to my outdoor thread this last year and saw the epic battle I waged against mites. I tried a million different things but I'm telling from direct experience that a product called Mighty Wash worked unbelievably well for me. You might want to try it.

Now that I have my indoor scene straightened out I tossed my last 10 CM beans in the dirt this am. I sure hope they turn out as killer as my outdoor CM :)

Hi HHHG. I'm sorry to hear about this unfortunate event. I know that you were a follower and contributor to my outdoor thread this last year and saw the epic battle I waged against mites. I tried a million different things but I'm telling from direct experience that a product called Mighty Wash worked unbelievably well for me. You might want to try it.

Thanks Cavedweller. I may try Mighty Wash. Any advice for soil gnats?

I've been removing burned leaves from the rosemary incident every couple days and now it's mostly healthy parts left after removing 80%. I just moved them to the 1000w HPS
vegging tent. Most of the cuttings I took over 2 weeks ago show no roots so my first priority with new growth of the seedlings is to get more cuttings.

blue or yellow stickies

Easiest way to deal with fungus gnats. Both colors work equally well and you can hang them or just put parallel to soil line a few inches off (between container edges works fine). You find them in 25, 50 or 100 bundles and put plenty of them out as they will suck up gnats like no other.

Re oil (neem, rosemary, habanero even tried olive to smother) mite treatments my experience has been similar in that you cannot trust any labels and most oils are best diluted yourself. Use a few drops of dish soap to help spread the oil evenly in mix. When treating with oil is is best to always use straight water to wash the oil treatment off after it has set for 1+- hour. Always avoid putting any oil treated plant under hid until you have sprayed off oil otherwise this will almost always burn them.

Last edited:
Mites oh man sorry, between mites and borg I've lost a few quality strains in the last couple years I feel for you. I hope you find a good CM mom, I've never grown her but have wanted to ever since I got some nugs, good luck on your pheno hunt there are some keepers to be found for sure!!

Just to add about Fungus Gnats and that is Gnat Off. You add it to your food/water at 1ml per ltr and it seals the lava's mouths shut so they can not munch on your roots and it does no harm to your plants at all. It doesn't smell to nice but it does help big time.

I found it doesn't get rid of all of them but it does cut them back big time and like sysadmin has said if you also use yellow sticky traps that will get rid of the adults that make it past the Gnat Off. ;)

Best of luck with your grow mate. :)

Just to add about Fungus Gnats and that is Gnat Off. You add it to your food/water at 1ml per ltr and it seals the lava's mouths shut so they can not munch on your roots and it does no harm to your plants at all. It doesn't smell to nice but it does help big time.

I found it doesn't get rid of all of them but it does cut them back big time and like sysadmin has said if you also use yellow sticky traps that will get rid of the adults that make it past the Gnat Off. ;)

Best of luck with your grow mate. :)

Thanks OG. The gnat problem reduced by 90% after I started putting a layer of sand over the soil. I just added yellow sticky paper today (thanks sysadmin). I noticed that the ones at the grow shop were full of dead fungus gnats so I don't feel so bad having them myself being a novice soil grower.

I took Cavedweller's advice (thanks) and got a gallon of Mighty Wash and sprayed all my plants and will continue every 3 days until the gallon is gone.

The CM plants were too damaged from the rosemary to grow normally so I bent/broke stems to make a more even canopy. I should be able to take cuttings in another week or so.

Number 5 is (not) alive

The seed plants have been transplanted to 5G buckets where they will stay until harvest. They are getting 24/0 light from the 1000w HPS are are looking much better. #5 didn't survive the rosemary burn, but that is coincidentally the only one that I got a clone of so no loss. I should be able to get cuttings from the others in another week.

Last edited:
I took cuttings from the 9 week old seed plants 1-4,6,7 a few days ago and tied the plants to stakes yesterday. They are doing very well and will start flowering in a few weeks after I have clones.

Girls, Girls, Girls

#1-4,7 have female pre-flowers. #6 has none and I suspect it will be male. #5 is just a small clone so it will be some time before it shows sex.

I still don't have clones of any of the plants. The new aero cloner I put the CM cuttings into last month has not produced any roots at all. I don't know what the problem is. The CM are ready for flowering but I don't want to start until I have one clone of each.

I took 3 more cuttings from each CM today and put them in peat pellets under humidity dome with heating mat. Hopefully between all the aero and pellet cuttings I will get some to root.

It must be a pain to make room for so many cuttings, but it sounds hopeful that one of each will root. Finding a special mother is challenging but the fruit she provides is made sweeter by your efforts made to obtain her. Waxing philosophical over growing pains, such is life.

Back