Confused about who really has which skunk #1

Random Fractal

AFAIK Sam the Skunkman supplies Seedman and The Flying Dutchman with the original Skunk #1, but then apparently Mr Nice Shit is the authentic, real deal. So, wich is it? Are the all the same thing? Or have they been bred differently but from the same hybrid?

I've bought Seedsman the 'Original Skunk #1' aka 'The Pure' but have been told rather frustratingly by some people that they've grown it out themselves and had shit, poor tasting harvests. That worries me and makes me wonder if Seedsman The Pure and Mr Nice Shit are actually one and the same thing?

Please can someone clarify the situation for me as I keep hearing conflicting info. Apparently Sam the Skunkman himself, in the days of Overgrow, actually confirmed himself that he was supplying the Seedsman Seeds, so this confuses me!!

i don't trust the Skunkman to be honest...go with Shit as it is the classic Sk#1 but I believe it was inbred by Neville or Shanti...the pedigree is (Afg Dom) Sk#1xSk#1...so it appears an ibl that probably began with the Skunkman's Sk#1 as i understand him and Neville were the big names in the business in the late 80's and early 90's and i'm sure Neville got Sk#1 from him...its probably how Sam aquired his haze he uses in the freebies from boutique...this is all conjecture for the most part but it is Sk#1 but selected differently then Sam's version, Flying Dutchmen's version and also different than the one offered by Sensi seeds...MNS Shit produces great plants by those who grew her, i tried this year but had germ problems so i'm gonna do it again next year

edit:the strain description says bred by the founder of the original seedbank so that would mean Neville worked the line if i am reading it correctly

Last edited:
AFAIK Sam the Skunkman supplies Seedman and The Flying Dutchman with the original Skunk #1, but then apparently Mr Nice Shit is the authentic, real deal. So, wich is it? Are the all the same thing? Or have they been bred differently but from the same hybrid?

I've bought Seedsman the 'Original Skunk #1' aka 'The Pure' but have been told rather frustratingly by some people that they've grown it out themselves and had shit, poor tasting harvests. That worries me and makes me wonder if Seedsman The Pure and Mr Nice Shit are actually one and the same thing?

Please can someone clarify the situation for me as I keep hearing conflicting info. Apparently Sam the Skunkman himself, in the days of Overgrow, actually confirmed himself that he was supplying the Seedsman Seeds, so this confuses me!!

Ok, let's see if I can help clarify this for you. Seedsman has been in business for 7 years and the head honcho, Tom, did indeed get all these genetics from Sam directly and Shanti/Mr Nice are a totally separate entity.

I know Tom quite well as he is my principle wholesaler and judge him to be a straight guy and believe me, there are more sharks in this game I've found than nice guys but truly believe Tom to be as straight up as they come.

So I wouldn't place too much credence on a few disaffected growers but at the same time, if they are competent, seasoned growers and you've seen evidence via them of a promise falling short, well then please pm me and I'll relay that to Tom as he'd wanna know I'm sure?

And as regards todays Skunk#1, it's so damn bland, a citrus/lemon hint which I've found with most of the big boys offerings who are putting it out there, and yes, I know people who have the original genetics from way back when and whilst looking beautifully resinuous, no roadkill super shtinky pheno's seem to be appearing, even with F2 gene recombination so go figure?

Why isn't there a roadkill ( or other desirable pheno?) Skunk#1 available as a clone in the medical dispensaries as so many Americano's tell us our cheese is just a Skunk#1 pheno..............and are wrong!

They come from the same original source. But are very different now due to different breeding strategies / decisions. You are likely to get superior results with Mr. Nice Shit, imo.

Most of the world knows Skunk #1 as the version of the seeds that Sam sold to Nevil who then grew large numbers and selected the best specimens and sold the resulting progeny (either as pure offerings or in many hybrids.)

These seeds found themselves into offerings from every seedbank around the world.
Although I suspect (not sure, others please confirm) that the Skunk #1 seeds that Sam provided Nevil were fairly true breeding and homogeneous in the early days, most people on the Mr. Nice site understand that the magic in actually improving a line of cannabis lies in the selection of superior male and female parents and effectively using them combinations that "stack" positive traits. This is nowhere near as easy as it sounds.

Nevil has a proven track record demonstrating superior abilities in this area.
Sam, not so much (IMO.)
I reach this conclusion based on Sam's inability to create an enhanced and stabilized strain of Haze as the only known source of original haze genetics.

Sam himself has stated that he has not tried to breed Haze but rather to "preserve the genepool." Which to me means that he tried to breed it but could never get anything good out of it so he has copped out by doing open pollinations with no selection since his selection efforts have failed.

People with a firm recall of the history say that although Sam had an opportunity to market his seeds directly through his Cultivators Choice company back in the early days, he never did much business that way preferring instead to let Nevil take all the rewards (and the risk as it turned out) of being the high profile guy sending seeds in the mail around the world (especially the US.)
This earned Nevil the rare privilege of being #1 on the DEA hot list and ultimately resulted in his incarceration in Aus (who thankfully refused to extradite him to the US.)

Since those early pioneer outlaw days, the model for safely running an international seed business has been pretty much nailed down, and Sam has remained a fixture in this community by selling some of his genetics through Cultivators Choice, but also continuing to purvey skunk, Haze and Afghani #1 to other breeders to work with.

For myself, if I wanted the best shot at finding a superior specimen of Skunk, I would start with Mr. Nice Shit and Nordle which are based on the original selections performed by Nevil back in the 80's that actually made Sam's Skunk #1 strain world famous.
There may also be some opportunity to find superior pheno specimens in the "Cheese" line (which is said to be a selection of a superior mother from Nevil's original skunk work.)

Buying original genetics from Mr. Nice allows you to do your own selection to find a superior specimen and join the ranks of herb growers who form an intimate relationship with the plant and find "the one" that is the best for you.

Hope this helps. Eager and open for any corrections and additions by others.

All the best.

skunkman

sam certainly exposed sk1 to many growers despite his questionable past and possible "passing it along" quasi-breeder claims. I have grown sam's straight sk1 back in the 90s and it is a robust plant but not as good as MNS shit. I think both shanti and nevil hinted that shit is really more like super skunk (sk1 x afghani ) vs pure sk1. But if you want original sk1, sam's lines are probably still offered via TH or FD (but maybe they closed?). Certainly the shot used for "the pure" looks similar to the sam SK1 I grew. It was a big yielder and very robust but taste and stone were not up to the Shit standard.

Shit did not impress me compared to the Sk#1 offering from Sensi...Sensi SK#1 was extremely frosty, super tasty smoke and rock hard buds...it has been surprisingly one of the best plants i've grown from seed...i only wish i had took clones as i thought the smoke would be "average" and it was a real phenom...i grew out some Shit and its a great plant but imho the best skunk offered from MNS is Shark Shock, huge buds, potent, frosty, and i feel everything you could ask for in a skunk line...MNS Shark Shock is THE BEST imho for those that love a good skunk with a bit of funk...i don't care who has the original SK#1 as there are now much better skunks on the market, great plant but i'd take Shark Shock over it any day of the week!

Sam the Skunkman is a snitch

Anyone who believes Sam aka David Watson, aka Sam Selenzy aka thief that kicked off operation green merchant and stole every seed he took to Holland should be informed that Neville would have not been incarcerated in Australia hadn't the self proclaimed Skunkman met w him. Anyone wanting to know the truth can ask at anytime!

SHIT

Shit is skunk#1 bred to shanti's afghan line which most of the seeds here are bred to this afghan line no one seems to have the real deal skunk #1 anymore just poly crosses of it.
afaik sam the skunkman supplies seedman and the flying dutchman with the original skunk #1, but then apparently mr nice shit is the authentic, real deal. So, wich is it? Are the all the same thing? Or have they been bred differently but from the same hybrid?

I've bought seedsman the 'original skunk #1' aka 'the pure' but have been told rather frustratingly by some people that they've grown it out themselves and had shit, poor tasting harvests. That worries me and makes me wonder if seedsman the pure and mr nice shit are actually one and the same thing?

Please can someone clarify the situation for me as i keep hearing conflicting info. Apparently sam the skunkman himself, in the days of overgrow, actually confirmed himself that he was supplying the seedsman seeds, so this confuses me!!

ROAD KILL

Nordle is suppose to be nevils old super skunk (roadkill) line but ive never found one to be even close to that line.
ok, let's see if i can help clarify this for you. Seedsman has been in business for 7 years and the head honcho, tom, did indeed get all these genetics from sam directly and shanti/mr nice are a totally separate entity.

I know tom quite well as he is my principle wholesaler and judge him to be a straight guy and believe me, there are more sharks in this game i've found than nice guys but truly believe tom to be as straight up as they come.

So i wouldn't place too much credence on a few disaffected growers but at the same time, if they are competent, seasoned growers and you've seen evidence via them of a promise falling short, well then please pm me and i'll relay that to tom as he'd wanna know i'm sure?

And as regards todays skunk#1, it's so damn bland, a citrus/lemon hint which i've found with most of the big boys offerings who are putting it out there, and yes, i know people who have the original genetics from way back when and whilst looking beautifully resinuous, no roadkill super shtinky pheno's seem to be appearing, even with f2 gene recombination so go figure?

Why isn't there a roadkill ( or other desirable pheno?) skunk#1 available as a clone in the medical dispensaries as so many americano's tell us our cheese is just a skunk#1 pheno..............and are wrong!

Shit did not impress me compared to the Sk#1 offering from Sensi...Sensi SK#1 was extremely frosty, super tasty smoke and rock hard buds...it has been surprisingly one of the best plants i've grown from seed...

Interesting, I had the opposite experience. Sensi Sk#1 was one of the worst plants I've ever grown. Inconsistent phenos lacking in power. After disappointing results from SK#1 and Northern Lights, I will never consider Sensi again for my seed needs.

Aloha
M

mah man from peakseedsbc, Mike, is a good lad and great dude to do business with.

Fair prices for seeds that come with a great reputation from those who grew it.

Have his C99 running atm and even though they are in early veg, I can tell that they are performing very well in terms of development speed and structure at this early stage.
Everything else remains to be seen but he could be considered an "inside pick" with prices that make it easy to just give his gear a try.

Also has the best stealth shipping I have ever seen, by far.

His blueberry and derived crosses is what Mike is "famous" for. most favorable reports I found were on his Northernberry and Skunkberry.
But his "pure" Northern Lights and Skunk are both supposedly good.

I took the Ortega and Shit over his offerings and stuck to his Blueberry and C99, although I did get some Sweet Skunk which is a mostly Sativa though.

Like I said, still have to wait before I can confirm quality of the end result but everything so far has been a pleasure and to me, Mike/PeakseedsBC is a model canadian breeder.

Stay frosty my friends

I think next generation seeds use breeder Steve of spice of life's island sweet skunk and has won multiple harvest cups with it I have been checking it out for awhile now

Back