colour of trichomes

puppy

High All!

Just bought a 160X microscope from ebay. My question is simple: Which is better: Testing the trichomes while they are on the plant, or I can cut off a smaller piece, bring home, then view it on a flat surface?

Does it matter?

IMHO , the quicker the better. The trichomes continue to change when removed from the living plant. Touching them or roughing them up can make a sample difficult to distinguish.

hey arpege, thanks for your reply.

Thought the same :( Its not so easy for me to see even something with the scope out there.

If you have to take it with you to go..I would take several good sized samples and put them in something where they don't get damaged before being analyzed.

Hey Puppy. What I use in the field is a simple jewelers loupe with an led light in it. It's 25 x60X and can be bought on Amazon from between $4 and $15 depending on how fast you need it. Your local hydro store probably carries them as well, this way you can visually inspect the trichs while on the plant:)

High All!

Just bought a 160X microscope from ebay. My question is simple: Which is better: Testing the trichomes while they are on the plant, or I can cut off a smaller piece, bring home, then view it on a flat surface?

Does it matter?

I always take a small piece of bud from the lower portion of the plant, middle of the plant, and top of the plant, and I take samples of the sugar leaves from the same location. The leaves trichomes I believe mature just slightly faster, not sure if there is an actual reason for this, or if this is just a misconcpetion based off my own observations. However, I take all this back, pop it under a microscope and take notes. It gives you a very good indication of how fast your plant is maturing, and when you could expect for it to be completely mature. This also means you will be testing from 4 weeks into flower until the end weekly, at least I do. :p

Jewlers Loops are much easier and convenient to use. Get a 60-100x magnification with LED light. Microscopes are a pain in the ass.

i had to buy 2 jewelers loupes of "the internet" [as in a well known auction site] before i realised that the quoted magnification was TOTAL BS!.

....with a legitimate 30x magnification, you can see the colour of the trichomes (and i have poor eye sight) i don't think you really need to go into the treble figure range really, unless you want eye strain from motion blur from stationary objects (?).

....unless my microscope is wrong also (?)

....with a legitimate 30x magnification, you can see the colour of the trichomes (and i have poor eye sight)

My eyesight isn't great either but no problems seeing the colour and individual trichomes with a 10X loupe. The higher the magnification the fussier the focal length is IME.

I can't see worth a sh*t, so the higher power the better. The key - for me is size of the loop. 40X is the absolute minimum.

I agree MB. The closer it gets the less I can see so I have to use a loupe and 40X is the minimum. I prefer examining multiple flowers on the same plant rather than clipping buds to put them under the microscope

Back