Coco grown. Hydroponics' poor cousin.

f.r.

Awseome thread, I love my coco! Been using it for years I started with a 50/50 mix with perlite, but last few grows once I have got my shit sorted I have been able to switch to smaller pots and pure coco. Used quite a few of the different 5kg bricks avail here in Aus, they all do the job well enough., i even use to get the un washed and buffered bricks from bunnings and flush and buffer them, but the amount of time and water I had to put into them it was easier to just buy the brick flushed.

I also use powdered a + b, some cal/mag if needed, ag grade fulvic acid, ag grade silica and some seaweed ECO seaweed powder from bunnings 1 - 2 g per 10L in hydroponics. I previously used a mix of 3 species of trichoderma as a beneficial innoculant, but I have been testing a potential new product that is a mix of bacillus species.

I personally have found trichoderma or any other innoculant + proper watering techniques in coco to lead to 0 gnat infestations. I do hear a lot of people complain about gnats and coco, some people claim it's just a given when growing in coco but thats not true.

Since moving over to pure coco, I make sure my plants get a proper wet/dry cycle after potting up to allow for the roots to spread into the new media, once I get roots out of the bottom I'll generally up the feeds to once per day. In flower I like to keep the media around 90% moisture which i have found allows me to run a higher ec, although I won't really go over 1.8 ec max.

I have to agree there is so much mis imformation about coco but this thread is great.

Vlad the Inhaler

Awseome thread, I love my coco! Been using it for years I started with a 50/50 mix with perlite, but last few grows once I have got my shit sorted I have been able to switch to smaller pots and pure coco. Used quite a few of the different 5kg bricks avail here in Aus, they all do the job well enough., i even use to get the un washed and buffered bricks from bunnings and flush and buffer them, but the amount of time and water I had to put into them it was easier to just buy the brick flushed.

I also use powdered a + b, some cal/mag if needed, ag grade fulvic acid, ag grade silica and some seaweed ECO seaweed powder from bunnings 1 - 2 g per 10L in hydroponics. I previously used a mix of 3 species of trichoderma as a beneficial innoculant, but I have been testing a potential new product that is a mix of bacillus species.

I personally have found trichoderma or any other innoculant + proper watering techniques in coco to lead to 0 gnat infestations. I do hear a lot of people complain about gnats and coco, some people claim it's just a given when growing in coco but thats not true.

Since moving over to pure coco, I make sure my plants get a proper wet/dry cycle after potting up to allow for the roots to spread into the new media, once I get roots out of the bottom I'll generally up the feeds to once per day. In flower I like to keep the media around 90% moisture which i have found allows me to run a higher ec, although I won't really go over 1.8 ec max.

I have to agree there is so much mis imformation about coco but this thread is great.

Thanks for jumping in.
It's cool your coco knows who it works for.
Whats the inoculant you are using now?

Vlad the Inhaler

Great for plants, the bain of mushroom growers everywhere.

Just a note. Just another reason to be diligent with your mushroom techniques.

Looks like a great primer. Keep up the good work.
Yeah, bit concerned about the random spore
I left some coffee grinds in the press a couple of days, and some oat porridge out a bit long and got these beautiful light teal coloured colonies.
images.png
Really quick and vigorous, almost like bokashi culture
Might have to run the shrooms in the shed.

I'm going to start feeding the vat a bit of besan flour, for pre-biotic and saponins, kick the bio-action to the next level.

Last edited:

Vlad the Inhaler

It's been a week now, enough time for the ladies to feel at home.
20/4 cycle #CMH@250w/M2.

signal-2021-01-18-164803.jpg

Treating Sally a bit meaner.
Last time I grew these together I had to cull her for outgrowing the garden.

signal-2021-01-18-164901.jpg

All the keiki are pushing roots through the bottom of their buckets now