CM characteristics changing after stress???

jadashi

Hi people,

I was wondering if i could run a little something by a couple of people that know CM and get some opinions

I cloned some babies (10) off a fast growing CM mother i hatched after sourcing a packet of CM beans (bloody hard where i live) and all has been fantastic...
10 days to gain roots (respectable)
75mm grodan cubes on grodan slabs, 1200mm x 600mm ebb table, 2 x 600 Sonti HPS (start to finish)

Canna Veg & Flores 800 to 900 PPM, Superthrive at double strength, Uturn at 2 weeks veg, 50 day flower period...

The clones were very sativa/indica hybrid looking leaning to a more sativa look which was intriguing watching them grow into massive collars up to 100mm in diameter...

Yeilded 22 ounces and just dam impressive all round... Note we ran a few pure Afghani's sided by side and the CM just made it look inferior in growth rate

After lending the mother to my friend for his use and to extend the safety of not losing it, it seems to have changed its characteristics...

Originally as mentioned before the mother and the clones had a very hybrid look leaning more to sativa but after being cared for by my friend the plant has almost shifted to a full indica look in his grow and no where near the rapid rate of growth i had...

The mother suffered a bit of stress with a mite infestation i had to kill for him and was reduced to a fluro for 6 months but here is where it gets odd...

After taking a new batch of clones no problem (10 day roots) the plant is behaving like a full indica and has no where near the rapid growth rate i had in my first batch...

He hasn't changed much to the above grow and rules i gave him to follow except...

His veg was done under a halide and he skimped on grodan cubes only using 100mm single cubes on his ebb table, 1000 ppm...

Is it possible that the mother has stunted or is it something he is doing that's making CM behave very different...?

Its got me very baffled...

If i revert everything back to how i did it will the new clones respond back to the original mothers characteristics or should i try to find the strain again and start from scratch...?

My feeling is the limited amount of rockwool and the halide has made a bit of difference but i am stumped at why the strain has slowed so much and almost looks pure indica now...

First pic mine, 5 weeks... Second pic his, 4 weeks... same mother... variables as mentioned above...

Attachments

• 20121005_130806.jpg
    20121005_130806.jpg
    868.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20131009_152017.jpg
    IMG_20131009_152017.jpg
    792.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I think the different variables are going to make a plant respond and grow differently.Period.

@jadashi - I don't have tons of experience but I personally have grown one plant
  1. As a seed plant indoors (metal halide)
  2. As a clone outdoors
  3. As a clone (mother) indoors under (cfl)
The plant grows very differently under these three conditions.

Metal Halide the plant was fairly lanky
Outdoors lanky but more bushy (logical more even lighting)
Under CFL very close spaced nodes and compact growth.

This plant came from a Dreamtime pack so I have no idea of what strain, my guess is some kind of Afgan/Haze cross doesn't seem skunky at all. Great smoke BTW! :)

Your mother is older now which may account for some of the changes but yes, I think your friends method had a lot to do with it too. Typical characteristic I have found is slow growing, indica look. That said once put into flower it really takes off! My first grow was frustrating for me as the plants didn't grow quickly at all and looked stunted as you mentioned. Instead of killing them I put them into my flower room and they went nuts. I was glad I didn't kill them then as the yield was unmatched. This year I too had very sativa leaning Critical Mass and doubted whether it was CM and thought it was mispackaged. Once it started flowering there was no doubt I had CM. Very small in my garden that produced big buds. I think the fact that you had quick growing, fast cloning plants is a testament to your growing skills. Mine have never been fast or easy to clone so there you have it, you're a good grower.

Thanks gang... ive snatched 6, 2 week veg critters off his flood and drain and reset everything to my initial enviroment... babies are at 4 weeks flower stage, 900ppm with a 1ml per litre pk 13/14, rookwool is a bit of a sticking point ( 1 x 100mm cubes) as the window to grow more roots is very small now...

Would any of you consider adding another 100mm cube at this late stage?

To compensate a medium shortfall i have increased feed times to 8 a day...

They are responding well but no where near the rate of my first run but i strongly feel thats to average start...

Anyway thanks for the replies... they reinforce what i was thinking and put my mind at ease a little that the mumma bear still has its genes intact...

Positives :

strain still clones like a beast...
Strain responded fast to reset adjustments...

Negs:

Medium on this batch is under done
Undecided if i should add more at this stage... thought?

What does this mean?

Rockwool (Grodan) is only 1 x 100 mm cube at this late stage... im not sure adding another cube now would help at this late stage...

I am after opinions if i should or shouldnt add more medium... ?

Last edited:
There are a couple ebb and flo guys here that I believe use grodan as well. Hopefully they chime in as far as needing to add more rockwool. I used big blocks 4 inch I believe..
on top of a slab in a drip system and would get great results. I believe that a big healthy root system is an important part of the building blocks of big healthy buds. How do the root systems compare?From the looks of the pics you seem to be a lot cleaner/organized and more on top of your game. Its sucks when folks don't follow directions when they are obviously coming from someone that showed they were successful using a certain technique.
If it were me I think I would be putting a slab under those small blocks.

Last edited:
Hi gang... ok so as always i am looking to turn a weak and bad situation into a good one etc.... etc.... e..t..c... and after a little encouragment here after this incident of proxy bad results and resetting my critters to my orig styles... it has really sucked me in again to strain dialing...

The good to come of this little fiasco is thats its inspired me to use as much brain power as i humanly have available to dial in my critical hence openening me up to new ideas with growing..

I've decided i am going to run a 6 cell dw vert with 600s...

I havnt decided on the veg cycle yet as im still weighing up 1 or 2 600s in the vert tube 6 cell grow...

Any links or trouble shooting is greatly appreciated...

Dial of my CM strain/beans...

PH 5.8 to 6.3. (Never go outside)
PPM veg

Clone 250ppm, 2nd week 500ppm,

VEG: 3rd week 800ppm, 4th 900ppm, ph 5.5 to 6.3 (i allow this drift up)

PPM 1st week bloom 1000
PPM 5 to 7 week
PPM 1100

Canna flores, pk13/14...

Co2 800ppm constant lights on...

8th week flush for 5 days...

Back