building new growroom need some info

B

bongtime

hey guys bongtime here i am building a new growroom so any info would help
i have 400watt hps adjusta wing light 150mmrvk with carbon filter 125mmrvk
for intake,klimavator air controller..hoping to grow 9 11ltr pots in grow space
thinking of making growroom out of mdf sheets 18mm thick by 8ft long 4ft wide and holding them together with metal brackets..if anyone has an idea's for growroom on how i can sound proof it...later bongtime

hey

sound can be a problem the hum from the fan can be a pain my wife hates it with a passion. :rolleyes: they do make silencers but they do restrict air flow somewhat. you can also get rubber bushings to put on bolts on the fan mounts. hope this helps good luck with the build. stank

sound can be a problem the hum from the fan can be a pain my wife hates it with a passion. :rolleyes: they do make silencers but they do restrict air flow somewhat. you can also get rubber bushings to put on bolts on the fan mounts. hope this helps good luck with the build. stank
The best thing for noisy fans is to suspend them from bungee cords,i had the exact same problem aswell as the hum from the air pumps, and they are on bungee cords now aswell, i tried just about everything to quieten them and this was the best solution that solved it for fans and airpumps.Hope this helps you some Bongtime...Take care...Hashish

hi bongtime maybe line the inside of the mdf with silverlined compressed insulation any builders merchants supply it, its used for insulation in cavity walls cant remember correct name of it hope this helps some plus it does act as a soundproofer inbetween houses

Last edited:
Im not sure if this helps but friends were into music and jaming a lot and it was load what they did was use egg cartons to sound proof the walls but you would maybe need 2 walls with egg cartons in between it worket .

Lets kick the idea up about 20 notches.

Screw the metal brackets, they will just become a source of vibration, and vibration is noise.

Get a 3$ counter sink drill bit, predrill holes, and just screw the MDF together using 2" sheetrock/drywall screws.

Go buy some "Alex" caulking compound (acrylic latex) in the caulking gun tubes, it's super cheap....and believe it or not, the black colored stuff works best (trust me on that tip). Now just take a putty knife and slather the shit all over the walls.
Yes, exactly how you dampen cabinet resonation for high end speakers.....MDF and Alex.
You'll probably need 12-15 tubes of Alex to cover the whole thing....and you only want to cover the inside....it really doesn't matter how it looks since you'll be covering it with mylar or something of that sort anyway.
No more worries about noise from inside as long as you don't have anything vibrating against the walls.

Take your fan and cover all seams of it with the aluminum duct tape, the shit that looks like aluminum foil, not the cloth type.
I've found the housing usually leaks on every single inline blower fan out there...and thats where the noise comes from mostly, air leaking out thru a small slit. Stick your ear right up to it while it's running and wave your hand between your ear and the seams....you'll see what I mean in short order.

Take a few of the huge beach towells and wrap around the blower to dampen noise even more.
No worries, the blower stays cool from the airflow so the towells are safe.

DO NOT screw mount the blower to anything, not even with rubber feet.

Make sure all ducting has zero leaks, every leak will make noise.

You *can* mount it with bungees, that does work.
I just mount the carbon cannister to the inside top of the grow area and run a duct thru the wall and have the blower outside the grow area, usually sitting on a pad of about 4-5 layers of house carpet.

There's a few ideas...

superb info

hey Thorax thank you for the superb info this will help me a lot will post pics when i am up & running..later bongtime...:D

bongetime my freind is just in the process of building a growroom and it dose,nt sound to different to what your setting up.
will put up some pics and give you a quick run over the equipment and methods that will be used.hope you find this helpful.jaffaman.:)

Attachments

• Untitled-24.jpg
    Untitled-24.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Untitled-26.jpg
    Untitled-26.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 19
  • Untitled-27.jpg
    Untitled-27.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 19
  • Untitled-28.jpg
    Untitled-28.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Untitled-30.jpg
    Untitled-30.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Untitled-33.jpg
    Untitled-33.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Untitled-31.jpg
    Untitled-31.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Untitled-32.jpg
    Untitled-32.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Untitled-34.jpg
    Untitled-34.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Untitled-35.jpg
    Untitled-35.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Untitled-36.jpg
    Untitled-36.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Untitled-38.jpg
    Untitled-38.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Untitled-39.jpg
    Untitled-39.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 30
  • Untitled-42.jpg
    Untitled-42.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Untitled-43.jpg
    Untitled-43.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 23
the flower room i s 4ftlx4ftwx6fth,lights are 600whps in a medium adjust a shade.light cycle 12/12
ventilation=ruck125L extraction 5inch axail fan intake and 12inch oscilating fan.
walls covered with reflect a grow.
the veg room is 1mx1mx1m lit by a 150w m/h light cycle 20/4 extraction is the intake fan for the flower room.
the mother/cloning room is,nt built yet but will be above the veg room and will be lit by 2x3ft 30w coolwhite flouresents and will have a small 4inch domestic extractorfan just to pull in enough fresh air for the mothers to grow just fine hope this helps jaffaman.ps anymore qs then fire away.

Attachments

• Untitled-26.jpg
    Untitled-26.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 3
hey guys bongtime here i am building a new growroom so any info would help
i have 400watt hps adjusta wing light 150mmrvk with carbon filter 125mmrvk
for intake,klimavator air controller..hoping to grow 9 11ltr pots in grow space
thinking of making growroom out of mdf sheets 18mm thick by 8ft long 4ft wide and holding them together with metal brackets..if anyone has an idea's for growroom on how i can sound proof it...later bongtime

Firstly I Would Highly Reccomend You Seal Those Cancer causing MDF Sheets
I Have Used The Exact Same Fan Set Up For Keeping A Similar Sized Room Cool Using 2X600's
A RVK 125 Alone Is More Than Adequate For A 400 Watt Lamp, IMO
I Have Just Completed A Growroom Which Is Made From Plywood ( 3/4" ), A Layer Of Chopper Stopper ( Facing Outwards ) A Layer Of 3" Celotex Solid Insulation, Followed By A Layer Of Rubber Horse Matting ( 1") And Finally Finished With Diamond Mylar.
Maybe A Little Over The Top, But I Cannot Hear My PK125 ( Two Speed RVK Fan ) At All.
I Have Decided Not To Use The RVK125 For Intake , As The Sealed Room Makes For A Really Efficient Passive Flow Coming Through.
I'm Using A Single 600 HPS With The New Adjustashade ( Slot In Heat Deflector ) And Max Temps Are 78 Degrees :) )
Not Being Good With Wood ( Or So The Wife Says :D ) It Has Taken All Year To Make , And The Doorway Is A Operational Clothes Dryer Attached To A Floor Rail
I Have Retained The Ducting Collars From A Couple Of Homeboxes And Also Cut Out The Logo , Which I Will Stick On My Fort Knox Gro-Box .
Just Before I Add My Second Half Of The Early Haze I Tested Earlier This Year
( 80% Germination This Time Round ) I Am Leaving The Light On For A Week
This Will Kill Any Spider Mites Or Eggs That Have Been In Hibernation, As Long As There Is Nothing For Them To Eat , They Will Starve To Death;)
I'm Itching To Show My New Pride And Joy , And Will As Soon As I Can Upload Images Of The Construction.
Alongside The Main Flower Room Are Two Closets , Each Housing Fluorescant Lights For Clones/Momma .
I Want To Do A Jorge Cervantes Style Perpetual Style Grow .
The Rubber Mats I Mentioned Come In 4 Foot By 8 Foot Sheets And Are Identical To The Material They Make Fancy Beach Sandals Out Of ; They Are Used On The Sides Of Horse Stalls To Prevent Injury, But Are So Soundproof
Cutting Off Strips To Mount Your Fan In A Anti-Vibration Manner Is Also A Big Plus .
Please Be Aware That MDF Releases More Toxins Than P.V.C, So Encapsulate It ( Don't Use Latex Though !! )
Thompsons Water Seal Works Fine
JKP

I run a 765 cfm exhaust fan and a 460cfm exhaust about 4 feet from each other and NO HUM.......NEVER mount it to a floor joist or ceiling joist....hang em from bungee cords and then hand the cord to the wood, it deadens the hum and sound completely!!!

Firstly I Would Highly Reccomend You Seal Those Cancer causing MDF Sheets
I Have Used The Exact Same Fan Set Up For Keeping A Similar Sized Room Cool Using 2X600's
A RVK 125 Alone Is More Than Adequate For A 400 Watt Lamp, IMO
I Have Just Completed A Growroom Which Is Made From Plywood ( 3/4" ), A Layer Of Chopper Stopper ( Facing Outwards ) A Layer Of 3" Celotex Solid Insulation, Followed By A Layer Of Rubber Horse Matting ( 1") And Finally Finished With Diamond Mylar.
Maybe A Little Over The Top, But I Cannot Hear My PK125 ( Two Speed RVK Fan ) At All.
I Have Decided Not To Use The RVK125 For Intake , As The Sealed Room Makes For A Really Efficient Passive Flow Coming Through.
I'm Using A Single 600 HPS With The New Adjustashade ( Slot In Heat Deflector ) And Max Temps Are 78 Degrees :) )
Not Being Good With Wood ( Or So The Wife Says :D ) It Has Taken All Year To Make , And The Doorway Is A Operational Clothes Dryer Attached To A Floor Rail
I Have Retained The Ducting Collars From A Couple Of Homeboxes And Also Cut Out The Logo , Which I Will Stick On My Fort Knox Gro-Box .
Just Before I Add My Second Half Of The Early Haze I Tested Earlier This Year
( 80% Germination This Time Round ) I Am Leaving The Light On For A Week
This Will Kill Any Spider Mites Or Eggs That Have Been In Hibernation, As Long As There Is Nothing For Them To Eat , They Will Starve To Death;)
I'm Itching To Show My New Pride And Joy , And Will As Soon As I Can Upload Images Of The Construction.
Alongside The Main Flower Room Are Two Closets , Each Housing Fluorescant Lights For Clones/Momma .
I Want To Do A Jorge Cervantes Style Perpetual Style Grow .
The Rubber Mats I Mentioned Come In 4 Foot By 8 Foot Sheets And Are Identical To The Material They Make Fancy Beach Sandals Out Of ; They Are Used On The Sides Of Horse Stalls To Prevent Injury, But Are So Soundproof
Cutting Off Strips To Mount Your Fan In A Anti-Vibration Manner Is Also A Big Plus .
Please Be Aware That MDF Releases More Toxins Than P.V.C, So Encapsulate It ( Don't Use Latex Though !! )
Thompsons Water Seal Works Fine
JKP

hey joe king park do you have any idea where i can buy these rubber mats u talking about or do you have a pic of a bit of it..so i no what i am looking for
ATB Shogun...

MDF Releases Same Type Toxins Like In PVC. Latex Paint Too

I'd Encapsulate Sheet , Like Red Suggested.;)
When I Worked In The Asbestos Removal Industry I Became Familiar With " Sick House Syndrome ".
A Couple Of Years Back Sunhut Growtents Were Found To Kill Plants . Problems With PVC " Outgassing " Resulted In A Mass Recall
P.E Or P.U Materials Are Fine, But P.V.C Is Not, And Should Be Avoided
JKP

Cheers jkp i spent most of last night looking at sound proofing for walls and floors so i am going to try it out not cheap but will help keep noise down a bit
atb Shogun

shogun warrior

I don’t know exactly how much room you are working with, but sounds like you are using mdf. It’s ok if you already have it; normally I would use ½” plywood, just because it is easier to work with and has structural integrity.

As you probably found out, sound damping is done through air space and honeycomb like products. A basic sound dampening wall can be constructed with 2X6’s, mold resistant drywall (very dense), 1/8” plywood (a cheap cabinet backing), and your mdf.

It’s a two part wall. Frame your space with 2x6’s (2 foot on center with cross member half way up wall is fine), skin inside walls with dry wall and seal with caulk. Frame the inside of your studs with 1x3, leave the space empty (reverberation chamber) with drywall screws, attach thin piece of plywood/paneling (1/8” preferred for space requirements) and caulk all seams as you go, even the inside drywall seam. Fill the remaining space with fairly loose fiber insulation (about half the thickness of R-13).

Ideally you would want to build a three part wall with 1x2's and place the fiber in the middle compartment. cost is usually a factor at some point.

Sound will enter that air pocket and reverb back and forth before being absorbed by the remaining wall. Always remember that sound always passed through the path of least resistance, which is hard dense objects.

I am an audiophile and have worked with some sound propagation in the past. Hope this helps you. Happy building, I have to get back to building my vent system and some sour D.

peace
MM425

Just looking at my exposed wall with sound in mind. I think you can achieve the same concept with just 2x6 framing and stapling the r-13 to the outside wall (paper in the middle) leaving a air pocket btwn the gr wall and insulation backing, plastic or tyvec could also be stapled in the middle for additional moisture protection. It would be a bit cheaper. Anyway that is the way I am going btwn my gr and bathroom wall.

I c some pic are posed in this thread, I need to look at them in hope for some more good ideas and direction.

goodluck, wee need it...

MM425

Last edited:
Back