Black Widow in the bush.

TheLorax

I am going to grow Black Widow guerilla, so follow along and enjoy the jouney with the Lorax if you like.

I am using clones from a Black Widow mother I kept from some seeds direct from Mr Nice.

Quite a vigorous strain.

Anyway I haven't used this site for many years, and in fact didn't have it's location saved on gps, but using google maps I was able to pinpoint where I thought is was, and put the gps co-ordinates from google maps into my gps and went there.

It was really overgrown as it hadn't been used for years, and the fence had rusted, so it took a fair bit of work to clear, and then put a new fence.

This is the site the day I re-found it a couple of months ago.

thelorax-albums-lorax-s-album-picture12928-7-aug-17-day-refound-before-any-clearing.jpg

Well here we are with the site cleared and newly fenced.

The Black Widow clones have been in the ground for a week when this photo was taken.

I topped the main stem back a fair bit before putting them out, as I won't be able to water them every day when they are small, and you want a good root to shoot ratio; what I mean is because they were grown in forestry tubes, the root mass is not that big, and having extra leaf would use up the water in the root ball quicker, so I wanted to reduce the leaf mass.

The soil where each clone was planted had perlite added to it to aerate the soil, as I know from past history that if it rains a real lot, this spot can actually get a bit waterlogged.
You wouldn't think so now though as it has been exceptionally dry the last few months.
I also added some water crystals to the soil each clone was planted in.

When I planted them I gave them a good watering with water with a liquid wetting agent added, so help the soil absorb and hold the water.

Got to set your grow up right, makes things easy later on.

Here are the clones after a week in the ground.

thelorax-albums-lorax-s-album-picture12930-31-oct-pic-4.jpg

Last edited:
Watering; carrying buckets of water is too hard, especially when summer arrives.

This is much easier and quicker.

thelorax-albums-lorax-s-album-picture12931-pump.jpg

I'm using forestry tubes for the first time here.

The problem with round pots is the roots circle around the pot, and when you plant them in the ground the roots keep circling, rather than going out and down to find water.

Forestry tubes are square, and have ribs running down the sides of the pot, so this ensures the roots go straight down, rather than circling around.

Forestry tubes are also tall, which means that when you transplant the seedling into the ground, it already has a deep root system.

Another thing with forestry tubes is they are open at the bottom, and you sit them in trays so they are sitting off the ground.

What this does is when the roots of the seedling or clone reach the bottom of the forestry tube, rather than circling around, or forming a "J" shape where the forestry tube sits on the ground, they instead air prune.

So this stops the roots circling, and when you transplant into the ground the roots go straight down into the soil.

Another forestry technique that can be incorporated if the stem of the seedling or clone is long enough, is to remove some of the lower growth, and then plant it deep so part of the woody stem is underground.
This will get the root ball deeper into the ground where the soil stays damp, and also the part of the stem planted underground will grow roots off it, just like a cutting put into soil grows roots.
This will give you a deeper and larger root mass, which is important growing in dry areas where it does not rain much, and you can't water often.

You can learn a lot from forestry and general garden sites.

Another thing with forestry tubes is because they are tall and thin, they are easy to smuggle to the grow site.

Last edited:
It’s so clandestine... very cool braddah! And the sharing of tips is helpful. Thanks for the bless up and may your efforts be amply rewarded. I’m in your corner brah!

Aloha
M

Went out today to try and find another old spot I haven't used for years.

Last trip I got close to it, and today I thought it would just be just a matter of covering the last bit of ground and I would find it, but it was not to be.

Came to a feature where I could go left or right, and I went left, which turned out to be the wrong way. Got stuck in some rough country getting out of there.

Anyway after another look at google maps when I got home, I think I have pinpointed where the old spot is, and it's not where I first picked it to be on google maps.

So I think next trip I think I will find it, I know I'm quite close. Very rough country though, which is good as it will deter most people from venturing into that area.

But first I will need a day or two to recover, that was a good workout today, left me tired and sore.

I think I have another three weeks to get this next spot happening, and then the weather will get too hot to do much in the way of work out in the bush.

I plan on planting some Bubba's Gift x Black Widow in this spot, I have started the seeds and they will be ready to go out in two to three weeks.

If I get this spot up and running I will include it in this thread, as the strain is a Black Widow cross, so relevant for this Black Widow thread.

Can be hard work guerilla growing, but if it was easy then you wouldn't feel the sense of achievement when you accomplish it.

I am so loving this....
I am really looking forward to watching things develop for you. Good luck with finding your other site.
Respect pjj

Never heard of forestry tubes before...great idea for a semi-arid climate! This looks to be a great grow, and I'll be checking in. Best of luck!

I will go out tomorrow and water them, haven't been to the spot for about 2 weeks; big rains were expected but they never arrived, so I had better give them a good watering.

The spring that I water them from is drying up, decent rain is needed to fill it before summer, otherwise we are going to see how drought tolerant Black Widow is.

Could be good not to water. Your forestry tubes should have encouraged the roots to go downwards, so the roots should be going down deep to search for water, and get a ton of nutrients along the way

Well it's been a month now and I still haven't been to check on the spot or water it.

It did rain a bit a couple of weeks ago, so I knew that would be enough to keep them going a bit, but now it hasn't rained since then, and the weather has been hot everyday too.

I don't know what state they will be in, whether they will be dead, or alive but looking sucky, or looking ok.
Well if they are dead, which I don't think they would be, my bet is they are alive but not looking too good, l but if they are dead, then it's still early in the season and I can get some more clone's going and plant out again when it rains.

I was going to go and check on them this morning but I didn't wake up in time; I like to infiltrate early in the morning when it's still dark, for security purposes, but I'm thinking now the small spring I was watering them from is probably dry, so even if I go there to water, there may be no water in the spring to water them with.

Well on the bright side, staying away from the area is good for security.
Not good if people see you coming and going often, they start to get suspicious.

Anyway I have a small spot fenced which I set up first this year, but never did anything else there. It is quite close to civilisation so I am using it as a seedling nursery at the moment, and currently have some Bubba's Gift x Black Widow seedlings there.

They will have to be planted out somewhere soon, there is either the seedling nursery spot where they are currently, which I think I could put 6 seedling in, after I dig the holes and amend them with wetting agent and water crystals.
Problem is I need rain, the soil there is dry, and though I put a 240 litre water reservoir there a few days, it has no water in it yet as it hasn't rained.

Then there is another spot set up for 12 plants, which hasn't got anything planted in it yet. That spot has no water source, so I plan on putting some there if it rains decently to wet the soil.

But the problem is all through winter and spring, the rainfall has been way below average; so there is no damp soil even if you dig down.

It's not an emergency yet, as it is early in the season and there are benefits to planting late, such as plants are out there for a shorter time so less chance for them to be discovered.

But yeah, it just wont rain!

Last edited:
Well checked on the Black Widow today, bit of a disappointment.

They had started to flower, and I mean more than pre-flowers, but were still small, and the fan leaves had mostly yellowed and fallen off.

I think the yellow fan leaves were because they got too dry.

I planted them out a week before the end of the second month of spring, but obviously that was too early.

Anyway I pulled them up, but I have some Bubba's Gift x Black Widow seedlings in small pots and forestry tubes at another spot, so I will plant them where the Black Widow clones were.

I will also start some more Black Widow clones.

Here's the Bubba's Gift x Black Widow seedlings. They have stretched a bit from being close together in the trays, they were competing for the light.

thelorax-albums-lorax-s-album-picture12974-bgxbw-seedlings.jpg

Last edited:
Checked on patch C-F today, it's 11 days since I planted some Bubba's Gift x Black Widow seedlings.

I haven't watered them since the day I planted them, and it hasn't rained in that time, but they were still alive, although stunted compared to what they would be if they had regular water in that time.

But all I need them to do is to stay alive till it rains, and then I think they will take off.

It's too far to cart water, maybe I can carry 10 litres in a backpack, need room to also fit my own drinking water and other stuff in the backpack.

I work out I could give them half a litre per seedling in one trip.

I may do that, just to keep them alive till it rains.

Here is a pic I took today of them.

I have planted 2 per hole, as they are unsexed, and will pull up the males when they indicate and that will leave mostly one plant per hole.

thelorax-albums-lorax-s-album-picture12997-cf-16-dec-17-01.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a spot I will call D -2.

These one's went in end of the second month of spring, they were planted a bit early as they have started to flower prematurely, but I don't mind, means I will get some early buds to smoke.

The back one, and the one in the front (can just see the top of it) are Black Widow, and the one'e on the left and right are (Bubba's Gift x Black Widow) x Critical Mass.

They are doing good seeing as I haven't watered them for over a month, and it has hardly rained. I will go and give them a bit of water tomorrow, and put some more mulch around them. It I get an Oz off each of these one's I will be happy.

thelorax-albums-lorax-s-album-picture12998-d2-16-dec-17.jpg

This is a spot I set up this year, I call it Birdsnest.

I can cart water to this spot, so these plants are looking better than the one's at spot CF.

Also it has overhanging branches from trees partly shading it.

While we are led to believe MJ must have full sunlight, I think, in this hot climate where the sun is very intense, it is better to have them partly shaded, unless you are able to water them with a lot of water regularly.

If they are partly shaded then it also cuts down on watering.

Here are some Bubba's Gift x Black Widow, grown from seed.

thelorax-albums-lorax-s-album-picture13010-birdsnest-5-jan-18-photo-2.jpg

And here is a Black Widow clone that was planted 6 days ago. It was long stem planted, that is the bottom couple of sets of leaves were removed and then about 6 inches or so of the stem was planted underground, so the roots ball would be deeper in the ground where the soil did not dry out so easily. I have one more Black Widow clone in a forestry tube, and there is space at this spot for one more hole, so I think I will plant it there.

thelorax-albums-lorax-s-album-picture13011-birdsnest-5-jan-18-photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
Meanwhile spot CF is holding on.

Due to lack of water they are not growing very much, and I can't cart any water to them, so will have to wait and see what happens. If it rains heavily they might start growing again.

thelorax-albums-lorax-s-album-picture13012-cf-4-jan-18-pic-2.jpg

Last edited:
Just realised I never finished off this thread.

Didn't get much bud at all actually, got a bit but no where near what I was hoping for.

The problem was from spring all the way through to harvest, rainfall was way below what it should have been.

And also because I set up two of the spots that season, the water reservoir on one didn't have time to fill before summer, and the other one I didn't have time to put water reservoirs in place, so I had to carry water to them, but couldn't carry enough water.

And the spot I called CF, well because it didn't rain during spring, that spot went into summer with the waterhole I water that spot from, dry.

All these spots had to be set up from scratch this season, including the spot I call CF, which while it was an old spot, it hadn't been used for so long I had to in effect set it up from scratch; clearing it and re-fencing it.

So basically the problem was much lower than average rainfall all during the growing season, and also not having water reservoirs set up in time, which if set up and full, could have made up for the lack of rainfall to an extent.

But anyway although I got hardly any buds, I now have some spots set up for next season, which by then will all have full water reservoirs at the spot.
And the initial hard digging through tree roots has been done, so it will just be a matter of turning over the soil.

One thing I found was that water crystals did not seem to be of much help.
Some people swear by them; I didn't think they did much good.
They do take a lot of constant rainfall to re-hydrate them once they go dry, and you don't usually get that sort of rain during summer here.
20 mm of rain is not going to re-hydrate them, they need to be soaked to properly hydrate.

Anyway I'm happy enough with how the season went, as although I didn't get much bud, I now have assets , being set up grows, in place that will pay off in the future.

See you all next guerilla season.

Regards,
The Lorax

Just realised I never finished off this thread.

Didn't get much bud at all actually, got a bit but no where near what I was hoping for.

The problem was from spring all the way through to harvest, rainfall was way below what it should have been.

And also because I set up two of the spots that season, the water reservoir on one didn't have time to fill before summer, and the other one I didn't have time to put water reservoirs in place, so I had to carry water to them, but couldn't carry enough water.

And the spot I called CF, well because it didn't rain during spring, that spot went into summer with the waterhole I water that spot from, dry.

All these spots had to be set up from scratch this season, including the spot I call CF, which while it was an old spot, it hadn't been used for so long I had to in effect set it up from scratch; clearing it and re-fencing it.

So basically the problem was much lower than average rainfall all during the growing season, and also not having water reservoirs set up in time, which if set up and full, could have made up for the lack of rainfall to an extent.

But anyway although I got hardly any buds, I now have some spots set up for next season, which by then will all have full water reservoirs at the spot.
And the initial hard digging through tree roots has been done, so it will just be a matter of turning over the soil.

One thing I found was that water crystals did not seem to be of much help.
Some people swear by them; I didn't think they did much good.
They do take a lot of constant rainfall to re-hydrate them once they go dry, and you don't usually get that sort of rain during summer here.
20 mm of rain is not going to re-hydrate them, they need to be soaked to properly hydrate.

Anyway I'm happy enough with how the season went, as although I didn't get much bud, I now have assets , being set up grows, in place that will pay off in the future.

See you all next guerilla season.

Regards,
The Lorax

do you have any swamps in your area?if so id try open bottom swamp tubes,i never have to water

Back