Best type of (fruit) alcohol for extraction/tincture?

High-mish

2021 COE Winner
Hi all,

A friend in town has a distillery and we'd like to know which type of alcohol is best for extractions and making tinctures.
I've done a bit of research on the forum and already found some valuable info here

He can make alcohol from grapes, figs, apples, cherries etc. If anyone has info on which fruit is best for which purpose.. thx in advance!

High-mish

Hi all,

A friend in town has a distillery and we'd like to know which type of alcohol is best for extractions and making tinctures.
I've done a bit of research on the forum and already found some valuable info here

He can make alcohol from grapes, figs, apples, cherries etc. If anyone has info on which fruit is best for which purpose.. thx in advance!

High-mish
Hi,
You want something as neutral as possible in term of flavor.... The highest % ethanol the best....minimum 90%, 95% or more better.
Not sure than booze made out fruit doesn't carry any flavor, better to use grain alcool I think.
I'm not expert in distillation so if you friend can produce something neutral go with it, it will work perfectly.
If you live in the US you can use everclear.

I'm not an expert in alcohol but I have some friends who make beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages in an artisanal way and we talked a little bit about the same subject. My brewer buddy had managed to make a beer with, which was quite successful and we still have the project to make a wine with my winemaker buddy too!

That beer sounds interesting! Can you share some more info? :)

Thanks @Tom bolenate and @Alakazam for the info so far..

...The highest % ethanol the best....minimum 90%, 95% or more better...
You are fortunate if you have access to those various fruit alcohols. I used to use cheaper store-bought 80% brandy or vodka but I get better extraction using 90-95% alcohols. Everclear is my go-to but I prefer the 95% organic apple and grape my braddah distills. Slight fragrance of grape or apple, the taste is also better than the everclear. They all work but I do prefer the fruit alcohols for the taste and fragrance. I do a slight 10 minute decarb just to dry the medium out a bit. Then crushing the product, it enables me to get more product into the half gallon jars before filling with alcohol, thereby making stronger tincture. A good place to recycle some kief to fortify the tincture too.
One can also take those higher alcohol extractions, cut them and make liqueurs like kahlua. Or if containing Super Silver Haze, we call it kahlupid 🤪
kahlupid.jpg

🤙Mu

You are fortunate if you have access to those various fruit alcohols. I used to use cheaper store-bought 80% brandy or vodka but I get better extraction using 90-95% alcohols. Everclear is my go-to but I prefer the 95% organic apple and grape my braddah distills. Slight fragrance of grape or apple, the taste is also better than the everclear. They all work but I do prefer the fruit alcohols for the taste and fragrance. I do a slight 10 minute decarb just to dry the medium out a bit. Then crushing the product, it enables me to get more product into the half gallon jars before filling with alcohol, thereby making stronger tincture. A good place to recycle some kief to fortify the tincture too.
One can also take those higher alcohol extractions, cut them and make liqueurs like kahlua. Or if containing Super Silver Haze, we call it kahlupid 🤪
View attachment 49310

🤙Mu

And it's a good way to consume 5 fruits or veggi a day!

I once read somewhere that eating a mango before smoking affects your high . So how would a mango rum work?

A very belated reply.
Not sure if it's strong enough though to make an extraction.. A mango rum haze cocktail could be interesting :)
Can you score any good local rum?

I would go for 70% alcohol minimum. There's Stroh rum (Austrian stuff I believe) with 80% alcohol but not aware of other rums with high alcohol %.

A very belated reply.
Not sure if it's strong enough though to make an extraction.. A mango rum haze cocktail could be interesting :)
Can you score any good local rum?

I would go for 70% alcohol minimum. There's Stroh rum (Austrian stuff I believe) with 80% alcohol but not aware of other rums with high alcohol %.
They have an Appleton 151 proof so 75.5% alcohol. However been had to find lately.

They've been making Bacardi 151 since about forever and you can find it everywhere....but it tastes blah

This is the rum you want, stellar taste and until you taste it you cannot possibly imagine how good it tastes...it's that good, and that unique.

We use an alcohol made from all mixed fruits skins, refined and filtered it has a slight ripeness to it but there is no flavour to it just a pleasant scent...however more and more we are using organic sesame oil to blend as a carrier, due to its excellent absorption properties and health benefits. Remember sesame seed is not a nut oil, it is a seed oil....just in case those nut oil allergy people are having concerns. Alcohol was our first blend but it is far too strong for pets and kids....hope that helps all the best sb

We use an alcohol made from all mixed fruits skins, refined and filtered it has a slight ripeness to it but there is no flavour to it just a pleasant scent...however more and more we are using organic sesame oil to blend as a carrier, due to its excellent absorption properties and health benefits. Remember sesame seed is not a nut oil, it is a seed oil....just in case those nut oil allergy people are having concerns. Alcohol was our first blend but it is far too strong for pets and kids....hope that helps all the best sb

Thanks for the input, Shanti. Gonna look into the sesame oil as well..

My friend is making grappa from the grape leftovers (skins, seeds) from our local winery. It has a very strong flavour which is nice for drinking but maybe less good for making tinctures.
He's also planning to make rum as of this year so maybe a cask strength rum (I assume it will be around 65%) could be good as per the advice from @n2ishun. But it will take some time before it's ready and has aged on the barrels. I'll see if I can get some new-make when they start distilling..

I'm not gonna promote my buddy's business over here (as per forum's guideline) but he makes wonderful stuff (whisky, gin, absinth, arak/mahi'a etc.) and has won some prestigious contests lately. For those of you who're interested in finding out more, please pm me and I'll be happy to share his website.

pure corn mash moonshine made by an 80 year old man who learnt it from his grandpa, and became a welder and or chemist to do it real good. make the green dragon. or make hash rosin and make the Amber Dragon. so, just buy a big ole bag of corn for your friend at the distillery.

I like your DIY attitude but this goes a bit too far for me :)
I would just buy alcohol that is good for human consumption. Around 96° alcohol. Tinctures are not for flavour. But you can make more then one tincture. :D Remember we don’t want to get drunk with the high because it can become very uneasing. A simple teaspoon will knock you out unless it’s a cbd tincture.

Also, you can make cannabis sugar and cannabis salt from tinctures to add flavour to dishes later on.
But be careful with those type of infusions in the kitchen.
While I had zero effect I have seen people going bezzerk after edibles.

I would just buy alcohol that is good for human consumption. Around 96° alcohol. Tinctures are not for flavour. But you can make more then one tincture. :D Remember we don’t want to get drunk with the high because it can become very uneasing. A simple teaspoon will knock you out unless it’s a cbd tincture.

Also, you can make cannabis sugar and cannabis salt from tinctures to add flavour to dishes later on.
But be careful with those type of infusions in the kitchen.
While I had zero effect I have seen people going bezzerk after edibles.
or, hear me out, use Hash as a spice. you ever eaten a plate of Corned Beef Hash seasoned with a sprinkle of Hash? I have, the CBH decarbs the hash, and then, you get overly medicate or stoned. depending how edibles hit you.

or, hear me out, use Hash as a spice. you ever eaten a plate of Corned Beef Hash seasoned with a sprinkle of Hash? I have, the CBH decarbs the hash, and then, you get overly medicate or stoned. depending how edibles hit you.

Ha, I might try that this very day now :)

Well I had effect from edibles before. Most of the time they just make my body heavy and slow from reaction. I am not a neurotypical person and I need sativas with the uphigh. CBD is when I get overmedicated and want to balance my high out. But I vape because edibles or oil have not hit me as vaping does. I do consume edibles on a regular basis though.

I am still looking for the right oil to make to get that clear energetic headhigh while I am in total control of any stimula from outside. I get overstimulated by people, noises, smells, changes.
Waiting for ciritical haze and I am quite confident she will deliver and fulfill my needs.
I feel in my lungs it is time to change my way of using it.

Back