Beginners guide to taking a cutting

glad to hear you had good cloneing results :)

as for cutting lower branches and how far up to go ,,,,, depends on your light if you ask me , a 1000 should hit the lower branches better then a 400 , so thats all up to your set up i would say

some old school growers would tell you keep the seed plant as a mom or if you had to the first gen clone , but other growers will tell you just clone your clone each time

i like to keep the seed plant as mom for a year or so then flower her out keeping one of her clones as the new mom and so on and so on

in the past ive regularilly kept a single mom for 3 and 4 years without seeing any ill effects

peace and happy new year :cool:

Last edited:
...All the clones apart from one (stem went limp and didn't root) are now rooted and in pots, even the one I had to re-cut/dip in gel survived! So in total 15/16 with my first go!...

Congrats man. With that success rate, just keep cloning like you're doing. No need to read any books on cloning IMO. Save your time and money. You can clone now as your results clearly indicate, so that's really good man. ;)

Peace
GM1

Last edited:
Any size but the larger they are the easier they will make the transition when transplanted.

🤙
Mu

Hello All!

I was given my first two cuttings ever recently and did not know what to do with them. Both were starting to flower. Not buds, little buttons on top with 30-40 white pistils. As I knew nothing, I Googled it. Said cuttings will do best around 6-7 inches. As each cutting was close to 2 feet in length, I cut each one into 3 parts. Now I had 6 cuttings and all are now growing. The 2 with the flower buttons, after a month of nothing, started flowering again! The other 4 started growing again after a month but started growing as regular plants. Not flowering. Huh? It also said don't take cutting during flowering. Too late now!

This summer of my 2nd grow sure has been a learning experience! Been meeting a lot of nice people too! 😁 So glad I joined this site!!!

Longball

thank's!

yes it's really fragile I have one that has lost it's new roots, I redid the cut and I put it back in the water, the other is replanted.

I also read that it was better not to make cuttings with buds already started but as it is all that I have, I do the test for the experience.
this year is also a learning year for me, next year should be really better if I don't reproduce my mistakes.

peace

Easiest way to take a cutting, that I’ve seen.. snap/split branch, leaving a little intact, allowing plant to keep alive and heal..soil and cover snap/split, wait until roots are growing, cut off your clone...

Clone 100% of the time.

Hello Lucky... The best way to clone for me is this very easy method as follows. 1.) Sterile Razor Blade 2.) RO water 3.) Hesi Vitamin one drop to a gallon 4.) Cloud Cover 5.) Clonex 6.) Root Riot Cubes. Find the girls you love, then spray them front and back with Cloud Cover. Wait until completely dry before cutting clone off Momma. Cut the clone at an angle and not straight across. Take the clone and let the bottom stem were it was cut soak up the Hesi Vitamins/hormones for about 10 minutes. Take the clone out of vitamin mix and then dip the cut end into Clonex which seels the end. After this put new cutting in a Root Riot Cube, I also dome the new clone with a clear two liter coke bottle and put holes on the top (1/8) drill, and then put under fluorescent lighting 24/7 for about 10 days. Then take the new clone and Flower her 12/12 off/on, depending on what you have genetic wise, and 70 days later, BUD ready for smoking. This is my technique and 100% affective every time I use it, but there are many more. I hope it helps you. Sincerely, resinbud ;)
Me too. Except I don’t use cloud cover...yet

Nice old thread
My oldest brother is worst at making cuts.
Here a few things I noticed not to do.

Don't cut a plant that isn't thriving.
If it's going through a mineral imbalance, it will be malnourished.
Don't give them too much light.
They need light to stop them blooming, but if you give then too strong light they will just grow a canopy, be late to root, and may even exhaust themselves.
Pay close attention to temp.
A properly adjusted heat mat is invaluable.

I looked at a few how-to online.
ILGM I think.
If you watch a few, you can understand the kernal of truth.

I had a blue berry that roots well.
I cut 78 tips, put them into 100mm pots and sprayed them 4 times a day.
I didn't use an igloo.
But I was living with my plants closely, so around them almost 24/7 then.

I started hardening them around 14 days by wick irrigating and no more folier spraying.
78/78 struck, first go.

Best advice is do it.
If they don't work out best, just do it again, and again.
The plant wants to root, as soon as you cut it, the tip starts producing it's own rooting hormones.
You just have to treat them like Goldilocks for a cpl of weeks.
Good luck gardening.

##I notice now, that LED I use ( no UV ) doesn't work in the time a T5 will
The LED with T5 or CMH do really well.
T5 doesn't look bright to eye, but they put out the UV well.
Purple light is bit hard to spot issues in though. 🙄

Guys this will be my first go at taking a cutting and the process of keeping it in veg until I decide which is the best pheno for a mother.
/QuOTE]

Last edited:
I've taken cuts right up to about two weeks to harvest.
They sit around and do not much for a while.
Then throw tiny little leaves, but they'll come back.
I've got a pre-2k Cindy f4 male atm smells like blood orange soda.
Cut it after it released.
I bent the branches right over and let it veg a little, then cut them low when I thought the hormones had re-asociated.
They are in 20/4 light.
Im revegging the plant also.

Just try stuff.
Don't believe anything is impossible, or it will be

Hello All!

I was given my first two cuttings ever recently and did not know what to do with them. Both were starting to flower. Not buds, little buttons on top with 30-40 white pistils. As I knew nothing, I Googled it. Said cuttings will do best around 6-7 inches. As each cutting was close to 2 feet in length, I cut each one into 3 parts. Now I had 6 cuttings and all are now growing. The 2 with the flower buttons, after a month of nothing, started flowering again! The other 4 started growing again after a month but started growing as regular plants. Not flowering. Huh? It also said don't take cutting during flowering. Too late now!

This summer of my 2nd grow sure has been a learning experience! Been meeting a lot of nice people too! 😁 So glad I joined this site!!!

Longball

Last edited:
The importance of starting with a healthy mum.
IMG_20201228_154303.jpgIMG_20201228_154322.jpg
These cuts are same age
Sally has roots after a week n a bit.
The goddess is ratshit
IMG_20201231_130314.jpgIMG_20201231_130240.jpg
Half a week later Sally moving through the system and the goddess struggling.
Getting sprayed with fulvate/kelp n calmag daily.
One cut top middle just rooting now.
IMG_20201231_130332.jpg
This is a tray of my Ludmilla cut, half a week newer than the other two and flying

Start with a good donor
Warmth is more important than light, if it's cold, use a mat.
Don't use too much light. They only need a little to stop them.maturing.
Two decks of keiki use one 26w T5 between them,only. Or shade them.
Practice heaps just do it

IMG_20210101_094927.jpg
Looking like I'll lose some of these.
Same media, temps etc as the others.
Same light, only difference was the condition of donor
IMG_20210101_094819.jpg
This batch is newer. <10 days here
I did these under a T5, instead of LED like the others.
I find the T5 or CMH make better roots sooner. I think from the UV
IMG_20210101_095341.jpg
Only one tube on the mojo cow is working @24w.

Last edited:
Back