Beginners guide to taking a cutting

I'm sure no one else here is stupid enough, but I wouldn't take GM1's terrible advise.
It might be very rare for an embolism to occur but it can occur.
It's not a myth, and it wouldn't be a good idea leaving ur cuts sitting on the side for half hour either.
Not just because of embolisms, but because you wanna get them in the correct conditions asap.
It's widely documented and occurs to all different species. Can happen to vase flowers killing them faster.

Here's Jorge's take on it.

Precautions - Embolisms

I'm sure no one else here is stupid enough, but I wouldn't take GM1's terrible advise.
It might be very rare for an embolism to occur but it can occur.
It's not a myth, and it wouldn't be a good idea leaving ur cuts sitting on the side for half hour either...

It's not good to leave the cuttings out for half an hour (that's the only thing I can agree on with the little Gnome), but sometimes these things happen. Especially when you got a woman like mine who can't stop yapping on the phone. Maybe she loves me lol. All I'm saying is when it happened to me my clones still survived. I know about cloning...
ganja-man1-albums-my-work-picture7318-new-clones.jpg

The guy who showed me how to clone like this told me that the air blocking the stem thing is just a myth. The guy who showed me how to clone knows his stuff. He is a very clever man who I respect ;)

Now now stop ganging up on me boys n girls.

@SOG. I'm glad that you think my clones are sooo dam niiiice that you think I'm too good to clone with my 100% success rate (well, I've cloned 100's of plants in my time. None have failed to root, and only 2 have died on me. The 2 that died was xplanted in soil. I hate the stuff lol). Oh, and I've never posted other people's work and fobbed it off as my own no matter what fibs you've heard. Believe! ;)

@BBong. When I cloned them I wanted to fill out the limited space. I was also cloning for other people which is why they was packed. Yes you're right they was rootbound in the mini hempy cups for a short while until the other guys got their grow rooms sorted out, but alas, they've all been xplanted since and they are now at different locations, but thanks for your concern.

Say, if you know about cloning then it looks like egoGnome could do with your advice. I don't need your advice when I got Hempy and JessE to help me out with my grows but thanks anyway :p

@egoGnome and B0ob (lol B0ob, I got your new nickname from SOG. Thx SOG.) I can't really communicate with you pair of clowns so I have nothing further to say to you both. Pair of trolls so you are :mad:

@ everyone else. No matter what you believe, I believe that the "air in the stem" thing is a myth and so do other growers who know better. Peace y'all ;)

Last edited:
Another myth is "oh, you must rub the scissors/blade with alcohol before taking cuttings... MYTH! I've snapped cuttings with my finger nails in the past and they have rooted (not that I'd recommend it).

its good practice to clean the blade you use, thats all not a myth. im positive that it comes from large nursery operations where if you spread a virus for example it would take you back a few steps. it dosnt have anything to do with the ability of the cutting to root just if that cutting is going to be the cause of you chucking out your favorite mother plant :mad:

Don't prune with your finger nails because your plants might get a disease etc...MYTH! Weed is a lot stronger than we all think. As you may know I like to chop off light blocking leaves. I do this using my finger nails. And guess what dude? They all made it to harvest, giving me and my people a nice and decent smoke.

if you come in to contact with plants from outdoors using your technique will eventually end in tears. things that could easily be mistaken for other disorders. if you were my cutting fairy and i found out how slack you are i
would be fuct off to say the least, just saying :D

So much of what you read online about weed cultivation are myths.

yea but not these ones. :D

Nice post Zesk, but I'm a n0ob when it comes to outdoor growing. I wanna grow outdorrs this year though and believe me, I won't be leaving my clones exposed for half an hour or snipping with my finger nails when I select my outdoor crop. I also won't be injecting the stems with air embolisms (or what ever they call it).

Blessings.

Last edited:
I put the whole cut it water as soon as its taken, not just the stem.
The main thing to remember is you want that cut never to go through the stress of wilting.
I used to run a sog that needed 100 clones per week, and also a side line moving volumes of clones. And belive me 100% success on large numbers is very difficult to maintain. But if you let hygine slip you could be selling diseased plants very easily. These things may seem like myths on a smaller scale, but if you step it up a notch, you find yourself learning things all over again...
Peace
BL

My clones ALWAYS show a bit of wilting during the first day or two. I mist my clones after they've been placed in the r/w cube and they still wilt for the 1st coupla days. Now I'm all for preventative measures, but some people do take it to the extreme. That's all I'm trying to say.

Peace
GM1

I put the whole cut it water as soon as its taken, not just the stem.
The main thing to remember is you want that cut never to go through the stress of wilting.
I used to run a sog that needed 100 clones per week, and also a side line moving volumes of clones. And belive me 100% success on large numbers is very difficult to maintain. But if you let hygine slip you could be selling diseased plants very easily. These things may seem like myths on a smaller scale, but if you step it up a notch, you find yourself learning things all over again...
Peace
BL

it wont be that he is learning things all over again...
he is only learning things now for the first time

he seems to think that because something rarely happens its a "myth" :rolleyes:

id love to be there to laugh at him and make fun of his stupidity when one of these "myths" bites him in the ass

go away ganja man1 , your spreading too much misinformation here , go back to the forums you started at , it seems you fit in better there with the other misinformed n00bs :rolleyes:

when you have taken clones for 3 decades you will look back at all of this and say ,,,, man i was dumb back then , i wonder how many ppls plants i killed with my BAD , WRONG , AND PURELY STUPID ADVICE

gm1 you asked someone if they lost any clones due to the air bubble , seeing how i normally take 200-500 at a time every few weeks i have lost one or 2 because of it , and that was when doing everything possible to avoid failure , so count yourself lucky that it has not happened to you and hope it never does

My clones ALWAYS show a bit of wilting during the first day or two. I mist my clones after they've been placed in the r/w cube and they still wilt for the 1st coupla days. Now I'm all for preventative measures, but some people do take it to the extreme. That's all I'm trying to say.

Peace
GM1

lol. Well of course they're gonna wilt if you mist them. :D
I've read misting the leaves slows down the rooting process so I wouldn't advise doing that either.
Spray the inside of the dome to raise humidity but don't directly mist the clones.
GM, if you wanna cut corners when ur taking ur clones, with no care or respect then you go for it,
but don't advise others to do the same. It's not the right way to work.
Whether you get away with it makes no difference.

...gm1 you asked someone if they lost any clones due to the air bubble , seeing how i normally take 200-500 at a time every few weeks i have lost one or 2 because of it , and that was when doing everything possible to avoid failure , so count yourself lucky that it has not happened to you and hope it never does

So B0ob. How the hell do you know that the clones died due to an air bubble? I reckon sookie killed it when you wasn't looking lol. Now this sookie that you say is female. Did you meet her in the internet? Just askin :p

misting the actual clones on the first day is actually a good thing IMO

if your clones are wilting the first day or 2 gm1 then 99 times out of 100 its because of recieving too much fresh/moving air , get them into a dome as quickly as possible to avoid this , and when taking multiple clones place each one under a dome before cutting another one

i see some minor wilting once in a while , but not often , useually my clones stand at attention and stay that way until transplant and beyond

but you already knew all that right gm1 :rolleyes:

So B0ob. How the hell do you know that the clones died due to an air bubble? I reckon sookie killed it when you wasn't looking lol. Now this sookie that you say is female. Did you meet her in the internet? Just askin :p

how do i know ,,,, educated guess <---- something you will be able to do many years from now , to further explain ,,, once dead the clones were removed from thier cubes and examined , like an autopsy , so there you have your answer smart ass

if you knew how to read you would indeed see that we met on the net , you would see that even though we were living in the same city we talked for years before ever meeting in the flesh

whats your point ?

Last edited:
how do i know ,,,, educated guess <---- something you will be able to do many years from now

if you knew how to read you would indeed see that we met on the net , you would see that even though we were living in the same city we talked for years before ever meeting in the flesh

whats your point ?

This is what always happens. You start trouble on me. I retaliate. You get upset.

A wise man once said to me "never awaken a sleeping giant" now i dunno if it was his quote or if it's an old Chinese (or Thia) proverb ;)

This is what always happens. You start trouble on me. I retaliate. You get upset.

A wise man once said to me "never awaken a sleeping giant" now i dunno if it was his quote or if it's an old Chinese (or Thia) proverb ;)

no no you got it all wrong

this is what always happens ,,,,,

you spread uneducated false information and you get corrected on it , then you end up crying for others to stop trolling you even though they are only trying to help you and to teach you something properly

when you grow up you will realise all of this , i just hope when that time comes you can still find some of us to say sorry to

EDIT , who said im upset ? i didnt , and im not , take your delutions and lies elswhere , they dont work with me

Now that's crap and you know it deep down. All I did was share the way I clone and mentioned a myth that was told to me by someone who grows better weed than you or I. Hell I wasn't even talking to you or Gnome, but as soon as your lil pal attacked me, you just had to join in, thinking that you've been baited :confused:

In any event I'm happy with my cloning method and all my responses regarding this was to simply help the OP. Not to attract all these trolls.

Peace
GM1

NOTHING you claimed to be a myth is actually a myth

you have no right or reason to claim someone grows better weed then myself , maybe they do but maybe they DONT the thing is you will NEVER know , but thats the kid in you i guess :rolleyes:

it is not crap as you claim so no i dont know it deap down , you continue to step into threads with uneducated FALSE information and give it out like its gospel truth when it is in fact the complete opposite , the compassionate knowledgeable members here will not stand for you giving such poor incorrect information and in turn hurting and possibly destroying future crops from new growers/members reading your dribble , so learn to deal with it , when you spread misinformation you WILL be corrected on it

why do i bother trying to talk to you ? your just a kid and you are constantly proving that :rolleyes:

no more talking to you , correcting your sad sad FALSE info yes , but no more trying to talk to you civilly , you just show your childish self and let proper info go in one ear and out the other

quite sad you are :rolleyes:

That's one thing we can agree on. Now go tell that to your lil pal egoGnome lol. He could do with your advice B0ob coz I don't need advice from you. I got Hempy and JessE to seek advice from ;)

You said you misted ur clones and they wilted for a few days, well that's why, because you misted them.
I read that by not misting directly but keeping the dome humidity high it helps avoid them wilting in the first place,
and if they stay wilted for any length of time it slows down rooting. That's why I root this way. If I get the cuts in the dome fast they don't wilt at all.
That doesn't mean other methods are wrong of course.

Hope you understand this GM. If not run along to Hempy 'n JessE.

Now, I should have ignored you ages ago....

Bye. :)

I never said a FEW days. I said a day or two. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Seriously man, you're in no position to discuss cloning with me. You're becoming like, I dunno, a splinter that I can't get out. Or an itch on my back that I cannot reach. Or a stone in my sock whilst I'm jogging.

Gnome, behave! I got enough problems with B0ob atm so don't give me another problem please. Just carry on posting the pics in your private lil group journal (nice journal by the way. The only pic that has gained any interest from me is the Chocolate Rain that you posted in your now closed journal a few weeks back) so that all your pals can give you a pat on your back lol.

...Thanks for the compliment GM :)

Yep, I asked for both threads to be closed because I've moved them.
Thanks for noticing,,, About to make a contribution in there was you?! lol

There's plenty of Choco Rain pics to view still GM,,, but you'll have to look from outside. :)

Chocolate Rain Photo Journal

Bye.

This message is hidden because ganja man1 is on your ignore list.

^ As the above post's most likely directed towards me. ^
Save your typing finger boy. I'm no longer wasting my time with your nonsense.

Seeing as this is a beginners guide, thought I'd recommend the book that really helped me when I started growing.
Quality book for beginners with top advise on all things including cloning. Worth checking out :)

Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible by Jorge Cervantes

Also, my advise would be that whichever methods you choose to use for cloning (and growing)
it's always best to practice those methods with care and respect for the plants.
Making cuts with your finger nails, leaving for extended periods of time before planting etc is poor practice,
and will probably lead to more lazy poor practices in other parts of your growing.

Just my tuppence worth :)

Last edited:
Some very funny reading the previous pages I must say.. haha.

Update:

All the clones apart from one (stem went limp and didn't root) are now rooted and in pots, even the one I had to re-cut/dip in gel survived! So in total 15/16 with my first go!

I watered them and on their second water added 1.5ml per ltr of Root Juice so hopefully they will start to flourish.

As for the mothers, 6 weeks into flower -

MH1 - Very tall, stretchy haze pheno (maybe 150-160cm so far). Smell isn't too strong at the moment as the pistils are still forming. Considering topping her soon.

MH2 - About 30cm shorter than MH 1 and more bushy, almost Christmas tree shape and indica pheno maybe?! Smell is slightly spicy, no haze notes yet.

MH3 - My favorite so far! Very similar to MH1, about 10cm shorter and haze looking pheno. The smell is absolutely beautiful already (still only pistils) but its like juicy fruit chewing gum, very fruity haze smell, exactly like hawaiian haze I sampled in Abraxxas years ago (probably Mango Haze).

MH4 - Very similar to MH2, more of a indica pheno and bushy Christmas tree shape instead of stretchy haze. She has a similar yet faint smell of MH3.

I took the cuttings from the lower branches and removed the ones above, would you guys remove any further up?

I know I will decide on the strain I want to keep when they are completed but is the best thing to do to keep one of the cuttings from the selected mother and use that to take cuttings from (keeping her in veg) or just take a cutting every time I start a new one?

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:
Back